KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Artwork Forum » Poetry Corner » Just A General Query

Was It Worth It?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes, it's wonderful chance for people to share their talents. 10 66.67%
No, I think it's a haven for arrogance and affected nature. 1 6.67%
I'm not bothered either way, but I guess it's entertaining. 4 26.67%
Total: 15 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Just A General Query
Started by: Syren

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Syren
dreaming

Just A General Query

How popular do you think the poetry section is and is it a worthwhile addition to the forum as a whole?

ThorinWoofer

Old Post May 20th, 2005 11:30 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tassie

#1. Not everyone likes poetry, ofc, but, for those who do, this forum's been really worthwhile. It's obviously not as active as other forums, but it has its fair share of hits per day. smile I always thought having this forum was a wonderful idea^^

Old Post May 21st, 2005 12:09 AM
Tassie is currently offline Click here to Send Tassie a Private Message Find more posts by Tassie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

yes That's how I feel... poetry's a refined art, but I think every person has the ability to write. It's not about whether you can spell, be grammatically correct or whatever, more that you simply say what you feel, share those moments when you can't see how else to release the things affecting you inside and out.

ThorinWoofer

Old Post May 21st, 2005 12:26 AM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trickster
True KMC Jester

I do - but sometimes I regret that too many people only want criticism on their own work, and won't give it others'. They jus pos their poetry and leave, then expect comments. (Like me embarrasment)

But, yeah, I think it's a really good forum.

Death only gives another set of choices.

He who dies with the most toys. Still dies.

Old Post May 21st, 2005 12:46 PM
Trickster is currently offline Click here to Send Trickster a Private Message Find more posts by Trickster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

Constructive criticism is quite difficult to get right, I often find people will comment and sound extremely cruel when their true intention was for the poet to learn from the comments rather than be hurt by them erm

ThorinWoofer

Old Post May 21st, 2005 07:57 PM
Trickster
True KMC Jester

No, I'm not criticising the critics - merely pointing out we don't have enough budding critics to criticise all the poems, nor ones that njoy every aspect of poetry.

OBLH comes to mind, with his disregard of anything sombre.

But, whilst we have too little critics, we have what seems an infinite amount of budding poets!

Old Post May 21st, 2005 08:18 PM
Trickster is currently offline Click here to Send Trickster a Private Message Find more posts by Trickster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

True that laughing out loud

OBLh is an irksome one, I do agree. But he does intrigue me roll eyes (sarcastic)

ThorinWoofer

Old Post May 21st, 2005 09:30 PM
Ou Be Low hoo
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't understand why so many people beg for honesty, but take offense when they get it! I find the empty platitudes that permeate this forum more offensive than concise criticism.

Ou, Ou, Ou is all you Need...

Old Post May 25th, 2005 12:17 PM
Ou Be Low hoo is currently offline Click here to Send Ou Be Low hoo a Private Message Find more posts by Ou Be Low hoo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Coldfire
<3 <3 <3

well I think this place is definitely worth it. You might think I'm so far from being a critic because I never critisize, but the truth is that I really haven't found many poems that I didn't like... So you can stop with the negative comments towards me in regards to that OBLH, thank you very much.....

Old Post May 25th, 2005 10:14 PM
Coldfire is currently offline Click here to Send Coldfire a Private Message Find more posts by Coldfire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ou Be Low hoo
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Coldfire
You might think I'm so far from being a critic because I never critisize, but the truth is that I really haven't found many poems that I didn't like...

If this is the truth, then I suggest you go get yourself a copy of the Norton Anthology of Poetry. Then, come back when your opinion actually means something.

If the only thing you've ever eaten is sandpaper, how could you say whether it is good or not?

Old Post May 26th, 2005 04:30 AM
Ou Be Low hoo is currently offline Click here to Send Ou Be Low hoo a Private Message Find more posts by Ou Be Low hoo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
calvinNhobbes

And what makes your opinion more meaningful OBla Di Obla Do? Please enlighten this ignorant toadstool that can't see passed the smoke you blow in my face coming from your Hukka.

Old Post May 26th, 2005 05:34 AM
calvinNhobbes is currently offline Click here to Send calvinNhobbes a Private Message Find more posts by calvinNhobbes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ou Be Low hoo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by calvinNhobbes
And what makes your opinion more meaningful OBla Di Obla Do? Please enlighten this ignorant toadstool that can't see passed the smoke you blow in my face coming from your Hukka.

Well, let me see...My opinion is infinitely more meaningful as a result of my superior knowledge, exquisite wit and outrageous good-looks.

You have been enlightened, my fungus-affiliated, Y-front-sounding fop.

Old Post May 26th, 2005 05:52 AM
Trickster
True KMC Jester

Originally posted by Ou Be Low hoo
Well, let me see...My opinion is infinitely more meaningful as a result of my superior knowledge, exquisite wit and outrageous good-looks.

None of which, unfortunately, can be proved online.

In fact, both your 'superior knowledge' and 'exquisite wit' only win out because people cannot be bothered to argue with you... stick out tongue

What I was saying that instead of crying out against the depression, just ignore it - best way to go.

Old Post May 26th, 2005 10:24 AM
Ou Be Low hoo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Trickster
None of which, unfortunately, can be proved online.

In fact, both your 'superior knowledge' and 'exquisite wit' only win out because people cannot be bothered to argue with you...

Au contraire, mon petit enfant...Au contraire...I demonstrate my wit and knowledge on an almost daily basis. Plus, my fine, chiseled features are there for all the world to appreciate in the members pictures thread...

quote:
What I was saying that instead of crying out against the depression, just ignore it - best way to go.

I'm trying to break those poor souls out of their self-absorbed reverie...Philanthropy is the nature of the game I play.

Too-da-loo...

Old Post May 27th, 2005 04:25 AM
calvinNhobbes

Let me get this right. Your ego and vanity is what qualifies your opinion as worthwhile? Your answer reminds me of a tool and not the utilitarian type at that.

Old Post May 27th, 2005 08:30 AM
calvinNhobbes is currently offline Click here to Send calvinNhobbes a Private Message Find more posts by calvinNhobbes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fëanor

Originally posted by Syren
How popular do you think the poetry section is and is it a worthwhile addition to the forum as a whole?
from the number of threads created - i would say it is quite popular

as for being worthwhile...that remains to be seen

i for one will not critique one's work unless asked - and even then with some trepidation..

Old Post May 27th, 2005 09:06 PM
Fëanor is currently offline Click here to Send Fëanor a Private Message Find more posts by Fëanor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Coldfire
<3 <3 <3

Let me get this right. Your ego and vanity is what qualifies your opinion as worthwhile? Your answer reminds me of a tool and not the utilitarian type at that.

Exactly what I was thinking...

Old Post May 27th, 2005 11:25 PM
Coldfire is currently offline Click here to Send Coldfire a Private Message Find more posts by Coldfire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ou Be Low hoo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Let me get this right. Your ego and vanity is what qualifies your opinion as worthwhile?

My ego is substantiated by my talent...Without it, my posts could be deemed arrogant. As for my perceived vanity, it is merely a sympton prescribed by those who are jealous of my blessings. Indeed,
your eyes are green and your food is mocked...eh, Monster?

quote:
Originally posted by Fëanor
i for one will not critique one's work unless asked - and even then with some trepidation..

I agree with your underlying sentiment, but not with your course of action. If people post poetry publicly, we are duty bound to pan and praise where plausible...If plebeian poets cannot accept this, then they should hide their precious poems in a poxy, private box.

Old Post May 29th, 2005 03:56 AM
Fëanor

I agree with your underlying sentiment, but not with your course of action. If people post poetry publicly, we are duty bound to pan and praise where plausible...If plebeian poets cannot accept this, then they should hide their precious poems in a poxy, private box.

while i cannot argue that point...unlike many, criticism whether constructive or not, is not always well received if that criticism is critical to their body of work...i for one prefer that if one were to critique my attempts at penning verbal reflections, that they truly be honest at whether they actually liked it or not

and not to continue on as to say: hey! it's awesome...

believe it or not, it's up to you to do so, but my skin is a lot thicker than one would think as i've had to endure far worse critiques at my artwork...

Old Post May 29th, 2005 05:01 AM
Fëanor is currently offline Click here to Send Fëanor a Private Message Find more posts by Fëanor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ou Be Low hoo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Fëanor
...i for one prefer that if one were to critique my attempts at penning verbal reflections, that they truly be honest at whether they actually liked it or not and not to continue on as to say: hey! it's awesome...

I agree 100%. It's a pity that other people in here seem to think criticism is "WOW, you are so good!".

Old Post May 29th, 2005 05:09 AM