KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Respect' Forum » Silver Surfer Respect Thread (everyone else is doing one)

Silver Surfer Respect Thread (everyone else is doing one)
Started by: HigH ScholaR

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (21): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
HigH ScholaR

that pic is from avengers issue 5 volume 3 heros reborn series it lasted for 12 issues.

Mindcap do ypu have anymore ss vs hulk pics if so post more.

ppl post info and comments on Silver Surfer.

I read on this forum somewhere that a new Silver surfer series is coming is it true i doubt it though, dam the low sales of Silver surfer vol4 they left me hanging.

Last edited by HigH ScholaR on Sep 24th, 2005 at 06:10 PM

Old Post Sep 24th, 2005 05:55 PM
HigH ScholaR is currently offline Click here to Send HigH ScholaR a Private Message Find more posts by HigH ScholaR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by HigH ScholaR
that pic is from avengers issue 5 volume 3 heros reborn series it lasted for 12 issues.

Mindcap do ypu have anymore ss vs hulk pics if so post more.

ppl post info and comments on Silver Surfer.

I read on this forum somewhere that a new Silver surfer series is coming is it true i doubt it though, dam the low sales of Silver surfer vol4 they left me hanging.

This is from the same battle as SS knocking Hulk down with his board; it's probably the coolest pic in the issue. I have in the attic a really, really old issue, probably the first time SS and Hulk fought. When I got it, it wasnt in such great shape to begin with...I'll have to find it and see if it's in postable condition.

And with all due respect, it was Avengers #5 (I'm looking right at it). Perhaps the story was reprinted.

Attachment: ssvh.jpg
This has been downloaded 999 time(s).

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2005 06:20 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HigH ScholaR

i know it was issue 5 look up

Old Post Sep 24th, 2005 06:23 PM
HigH ScholaR is currently offline Click here to Send HigH ScholaR a Private Message Find more posts by HigH ScholaR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
K3VIL
Neutral Force

Originally posted by Mindship
There's no Surfer here, but I am using Hulk to comment on the respective power of SS and Thor.

That's heroes reborn Hulk, the one which was drawing energies from two universe, becoming stronger than ever.
Surfer never faced THAT Hulk.
And Thor usually hold back on Banner cause he respects him and don't want to kill him.
Thor showed his own plenty times against SS, poor fanboy.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2005 06:29 PM
K3VIL is currently offline Click here to Send K3VIL a Private Message Find more posts by K3VIL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HigH ScholaR

hmm would agree on thor holding back though and i mindship said ss didn't face that hulk. but lets not change this thread into a hulk one please.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2005 06:37 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Just screwin' around with this one...has SS and S ever really squared off?

Attachment: ssvs.jpg
This has been downloaded 1158 time(s).

Old Post Sep 24th, 2005 06:52 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkCrawler
KABOOOOM!!

Old Post Sep 24th, 2005 06:58 PM
DarkCrawler is currently offline Click here to Send DarkCrawler a Private Message Find more posts by DarkCrawler Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HigH ScholaR

MORE PICS Happy Dance

AND INFO PLEASE

Old Post Sep 24th, 2005 07:04 PM
HigH ScholaR

Originally posted by HigH ScholaR
hmm would agree on thor holding back though and i mindship said ss didn't face that hulk. but lets not change this thread into a hulk one please.

MEANT TO SAY WOULD'NT AGREE

Old Post Sep 24th, 2005 07:04 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

I remember an issue where Surfer fought Spider-Man, also where he was hardly giving it his all. Best part: SS wrapping car around Spidey.

It would be interesting to translate the Surfer's power (or any top-tier hero) into real-world numbers, eg, megawatts, though in Surfer's case, it's probably more like giga or even terawatts. That would be enough to supply the entire planet's electrical power needs.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2005 07:06 PM
HigH ScholaR

Just screwin' around with this one...has SS and S ever really squared off?

No i don't think so but they did do a crossover together, i need to but it

Old Post Sep 24th, 2005 07:06 PM
HigH ScholaR

I remember an issue where Surfer fought Spider-Man, also where he was hardly giving it his all. Best part: SS wrapping car around Spidey.

It would be interesting to translate the Surfer's power (or any top-tier hero) into real-world numbers, eg, megawatts, though in Surfer's case, it's probably more like giga or even terawatts. That would be enough to supply the entire planet's electrical power needs.

read that issue, I'VE GOT AN SS ESSENTIAL it was very good although that scrap should not have lasted as long as it did even though ss wasn't using his all.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2005 07:08 PM
HigH ScholaR

Originally posted by DarkCrawler
Here's fight with Namor and Silver Surfer...

http://img64.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ssurfer14qo.jpg
http://img64.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ssurfer29cq.jpg
http://img202.imageshack.us/my.php?...ssurfer36xl.jpg

(Not like SS if fighting to his fullest, of course)

hey is that from defenders essential, GOT THAT ALSO essentials rock and don't burn holes in my pocket.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2005 07:11 PM
HigH ScholaR

The Silver Surfer is a Marvel Comics superhero. Created by Jack Kirby and Stan Lee, he first appeared in The Fantastic Four #48 (1966).

The Surfer was originally Norrin Radd of the planet Zenn-La. He agreed to serve as a herald for the alien Galactus to save Zenn-La from the planet-consuming super being. Galactus granted Radd enormous cosmic powers and a silvery appearance. On a surfboard-like vehicle he roamed the cosmos, searching for new planets for Galactus to consume. However, after an encounter with Earth’s Fantastic Four, he betrayed Galactus, who doomed the Surfer to exile on Earth.

In a heavily philosophical late 1960s series, which was popular in the hippie counter culture, the Surfer explored Earth. Another, more cosmically themed series with a freed Surfer was published in the 1980s and 1990s. Marvel is currently attempting another revival.

Character history

leftBorn Norrin Radd on the idyllic planet Zenn-La, he volunteered to serve the planet-eating entity Galactus, who travels the universe looking for energy-rich planets to consume, to save his homeworld. Galactus accepted the young mortal's sacrifice and imbued him with a portion of the Power Cosmic, transforming him into the Silver Surfer. He served Galactus for an unspecified amount of time until he came to the planet Earth.

On Earth, the Surfer encountered a number of individuals whose nobility and honor touched him, such as the Fantastic Four and their companion Alicia Masters. The Surfer chose to rebel against Galactus and attempted to prevent his master from consuming the Earth. Galactus was eventually driven off, but as punishment for his rebellion, the Surfer was confined to Earth thanks to a barrier which affected only him.

The Silver Surfer is a unique product of the Marvel system of comic creation. Unlike in the full scripts employed elsewhere, creators Stan Lee and Jack Kirby would discuss general storylines or plots initially but leave the specific story elements to the penciller (this was especially so in the case of Kirby). Reputedly, Kirby created the character of the Silver Surfer reasoning that a cosmic predator of planets should have some sort of herald. Lee was surprised by this creation but, taken by the noble features of the new character that Kirby had pencilled, scripted him, adding to his characterization.

Though Kirby is clearly the primary creator of the Silver Surfer, Lee enjoyed the character and decided to feature him in his own comic magazine. Unfortunately, Kirby was unavailable and penciller John Buscema was chosen as the artist for the brief run (18 bi-monthly issues). The Silver Surfer comic and character allowed Lee to script some of his most thoughtful and introspective stories. Thematically, the stories dealt with the inhumanity of man as observed by the noble yet fallen Surfer. After his own comic was cancelled, the Surfer continued to make sporadic appearances as a guest star or antagonist in other comic books. A personal favorite of Lee's, a number of specials and graphic novels featuring the character have been published over the years.

He was given a chance at a solo title for the second time in the 1980s where he finally managed to escape the confines of Earth and left for the spaceways. This series was originally written by Steve Englehart and illustrated by Marshall Rogers, and later written by Jim Starlin and drawn by Ron Lim. Starlin was later replaced by Ron Marz as writer, and later in the series' publication George Perez and J. M. DeMatteis had brief stints at writing the series as well. The series was ultimately cancelled in the 1990s due to low sales, but was revived most recently in 2003. Silver Surfer made an appearance in Cable/Deadpool, where he was the final line of defense against an overpowered Cable. Most recently, he has been reunited with the superhero group he took part in, The Defenders.

The graphic novel The Silver Surfer: Parable (originally serialized in two parts in 1988-1989) was scripted by Stan Lee and drawn by Moebius.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2005 08:26 PM
HigH ScholaR

Superhuman powers
The Silver Surfer possesses vast cosmic power granted him by Galactus as a part of the process of physically restructuring the Surfer's former organic body. He has the ability to channel ambient cosmic energy into his body at will, and expel it violently as concussive force or gently as a means to restructure molecules according to his mental design. He can generate beams of energy through his hands with sufficient destructive force to level a large city or generate such subtle amounts of energy to restructure the molecules of the natural pigments within a plant to change its color. The Surfer can rearrange the molecules of matter to create other configurations, and can transmute elements.

The forces binding together the molecules making up the silvery material that composes the Silver Surfer's "skin" are so great that there are few known forces in the universe great enough to overcome them. The inner portions of his body have also been made highly resistant to injury. Thus, the Surfer is invulnerable to most forms of physical harm. He can withstand great extremes of temperature caused by the build-up of friction within atmospheres or the vacuum of space or (within limits) the intense heat within the near vicinity of stars. He can survive without difficulties in the vacuum of outer space and hyperspace, and his body can withstand the stresses of travel at near-light speeds in this universe and of even greater speeds, in hyperspace.

The Silver Surfer has certain cosmic energy enhanced perceptions which enable him, through concentration, to become aware of the patterns of energy which surround him. Accordingly, he can sense great concentrations or deployments of energy anywhere in the world. He has a special affinity for the life energies of living beings, and can use his cosmic powers to augment them to a certain degree. While he can use his power to revitalize life energies and heal the wounded, he cannot create life or restore life to the dead.

The Silver Surfer does not need to eat or breathe since he absorbs life-maintaining cosmic energy directly through his skin. Although his body does not require sleep, his mind must still rest in order to give it an opportunity to dream.

By exceeding 99% of the speed of light (186,000 miles per second), the Surfer can shift himself into hyperspace, a dimension in which velocity is not limited by the speed of light. The Surfer can also compress his own bodily matter so as to shift himself into a so-called microverse. He once used his powers to travel through time, but may be unable to engage in time travel under normal circumstances.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2005 08:26 PM
DarkCrawler
KABOOOOM!!

Old Post Sep 24th, 2005 08:29 PM
DarkCrawler is currently offline Click here to Send DarkCrawler a Private Message Find more posts by DarkCrawler Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Just curious: who do you guys think drew the Surfer best? I vote for Kirby. He had a lousy sense of anatomy, put he truly possessed the Power Artistic when it came to conveying energy and power.

As for silveryness, Ross seems to be numero uno.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2005 08:44 PM
snoopdogg
Big Pimpin

Here is Norrin Radd getting too cocky...........................

Attachment: surfer bleeding.jpg
This has been downloaded 989 time(s).

"I am not afraid of the dark the dark's afraid of me"

Old Post Sep 24th, 2005 08:54 PM
snoopdogg is currently offline Click here to Send snoopdogg a Private Message Find more posts by snoopdogg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkCrawler
KABOOOOM!!

He still bleeds red?

Old Post Sep 24th, 2005 08:57 PM
DarkCrawler
KABOOOOM!!

Just curious: who do you guys think drew the Surfer best? I vote for Kirby. He had a lousy sense of anatomy, put he truly possessed the Power Artistic when it came to conveying energy and power.

As for silveryness, Ross seems to be numero uno.

Alex Ross can draw EVERYBODY the best.

(Especially Namor stick out tongue )

Old Post Sep 24th, 2005 08:58 PM