KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » who is the greatist guitarist

who is the greatist guitarist
Started by: darth tyrant

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
VoodooChile89

Is that face good or bad for me? lol

Old Post Dec 9th, 2005 02:50 PM
VoodooChile89 is currently offline Click here to Send VoodooChile89 a Private Message Find more posts by VoodooChile89 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

No Voodoo, not meant for you at all.

It seems after your response I may have AC stuck in a contradiction form a previous thread. I know he means well, he's just wound a tad tighter than the rest of us.

Just giving him a dose of his own special medicine. stick out tongue

Old Post Dec 9th, 2005 02:56 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
VoodooChile89

AC, after going through this thread I've realized... you haven't even posted your choice as greatest guitarist! All you've done is shoot down other people opinions because they aren't the same as yours... how about you grace all of us with (what you seem to think is...) the best guitarist... and then we'll see who gets shot down!

Last edited by VoodooChile89 on Dec 9th, 2005 at 03:17 PM

Old Post Dec 9th, 2005 03:12 PM
VoodooChile89 is currently offline Click here to Send VoodooChile89 a Private Message Find more posts by VoodooChile89 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nobody has me stuck in a contradiction. It's not a matter of oldies. If Synyster Gates was genuinely one of the best ever (which is what this thread is about, not really good guitarists, just ones that are candidates for best ever) then I would give him his dues. He's not though is he? Step out of the bubble in which you really like him. Look at the kind of people who are the best ever:

Vai, Satch, Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, Jeff Beck, Hendrix etc.

He's nowhere near as good as Tom Morello, Dimebag or such is he? And they're not the best ever.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by VoodooChile89
The only reason I named so many is because I couldn't decide which one was the best out of all of them... and what's your beef with Syn? you don't have to like A7X... but you should not try and get other people to live by YOUR opinion... do you play guitar AC? and did you read Synyster's credentials? I think you just have TOO much respect for the oldies! I mean don't get me wrong... I LOVE THE OLDIES (just check out my list above) and if they had the technology we did today, they'd be even better... but I'm not just talking ability... because that's not even half of it... I'm also speaking of writing ability and stage/studio presence... so just keep that in mind.

That's all very well and good, but you're missing the point here.

YOU love Synyster Gates, right? I have no "beef" with the man but this thread is about greatest guitarists ever. EVER. Not "Post a guitarists you really like." The same thing is happening in the drummer thread.

My favourite guitarist ever is Tom Morello, possibly Adam Jones. Hardly oldies since they came to fruition in the 90s. So that puts away your little theory of catching me in a contradiction. I haven't named them though, why? Because I don't think they're the best ever.

Regardless of being an oldie, Jimi Hendrix is the best ever. Unless we are discussing purely technical playing, in which case Joe Satriani or Steve Vai.

People need to set criteria for these threads. What are we judging on? Technical skill or is it a personal preference thread? You'll never ever find the best for personal preference, it's stupid to try.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Dec 9th, 2005 at 03:42 PM

Old Post Dec 9th, 2005 03:37 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
VoodooChile89

Synyster Gates might not seem that good now... but just like Hendrix, in 10, 20 or 30 years... he might be viewed as a legend... and you're right... they should put critieria on these threads...

p.s. in my Guitar World magazine Steve Vai told them in an interview that Yngwie and Dimebag were better shredders... just some info.

you don't have to be afraid to stand up for Tom... he's on my list! I would've respected it if you put his name straight up! and you have to admit... my choices aren't as NEAR as bad as some other people on this thread, right?

Last edited by VoodooChile89 on Dec 9th, 2005 at 04:19 PM

Old Post Dec 9th, 2005 04:16 PM
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Nice save, AC....geez, still so much hostility though.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2005 04:18 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by VoodooChile89
Synyster Gates might not seem that good now... but just like Hendrix, in 10, 20 or 30 years... he might be viewed as a legend... and you're right... they should put critieria on these threads...

p.s. in my Guitar World magazine Steve Vai told them in an interview that Yngwie and Dimebag were better shredders... just some info.

you don't have to be afraid to stand up for Tom... he's on my list! I would've respected it if you put his name straight up! and you have to admit... my choices aren't as NEAR as bad as some other people on this thread, right?

Yngwie is a great technical player when it comes to speed, beyond that he's not much.

Second, I'm not afraid to stand up for Tom. I don't believe he's the best ever though, so me liking him is irrelevant here. Hence the base of my argument.

You love Synyster, I have no beef with him. I have no beef with the guys in Avenged, they aren't on my musician hate list. I just don't like their music. It's not diabolically shit, it's just not overly good, to me at least.

The point is, this is about the best ever. Synyster isn't one of those. Nor is he close to being. You've admitted this, so I don't see why you need to name him just because you like him.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2005 04:22 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
VoodooChile89

I guess all that I'm trying to say is... Avenged Sevenfold is a breath of fresh air within the newer hard rock or metal bands that are coming out... and especially with their new sound, they've really impressed me... I'm just going by personal preference, you're right... I'm just trying to get A7X respected by people other than emos who just like them 'cause of their look or whatever lol

Old Post Dec 9th, 2005 04:28 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well using the term "emos" isn't the best way to garner respect in a musical community, but that's another matter.

To you they're a breath of fresh air, to me they're another alarm clock metal band.

The crux of the matter is, Synyster has no place in this thread because it's about the greatest guitarist/s of all time. Of which he is not one.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2005 05:03 PM
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

I would never bother to try and say who was the greatest ever, yo many intangibles, too many variables.

But in discussing great guitarists, it's funny how people are only mentioning 'rock' guitarists. What about Stevie ray Vaughn or Pat Metheny?

Old Post Dec 9th, 2005 06:09 PM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
People need to set criteria for these threads. What are we judging on? Technical skill or is it a personal preference thread? You'll never ever find the best for personal preference, it's stupid to try.

-AC
I don't think you'll find the best for technical skill either. Either way it's just people naming guitarists.. nothing gets proved or solved... so that would just make it another opinion based thread. No different from one based on personal preference.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2005 06:14 PM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm still not even sure of the criteria.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2005 06:14 PM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Gilbert is probably the best technically.

Vai for versatility perhaps; EVH is all round great.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2005 10:33 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Afro Cheese
I don't think you'll find the best for technical skill either. Either way it's just people naming guitarists.. nothing gets proved or solved... so that would just make it another opinion based thread. No different from one based on personal preference.

Well you can, because there are guitarists with more technical ability than others.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2005 11:38 PM
Afro Cheese

I understand, but even technical ability has no clear cut way to judge who's the "best" at it, because if it did and was an undeniable fact backed up by proof, then there would be one universal answer to the question "who's the greatest guitarist ever?" There obviously isn't.

It's just like sports.. players may have factual statistics and may out perform other players in specific areas, but there's no way to proove who the best quarterback was even through statistics.

Basically as long as you're using the word "best" it's going to be opinion based about 99% of the time.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2005 03:52 AM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well, there is. Jimi Hendrix.

That's universally accepted by anyone who really matters. From the best guitarists today, to people who just love music.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2005 04:47 AM
Afro Cheese

"Universally accepted by anyone that matters" is just an elitist rewording of it being partially accepted.

Of course, if Jimi Hendrix really was factually the best guitarist in terms of technical ability, you could always post some factual proof in favor of this argument. Otherwise, this thread remains as subjective as a personal preference thread. It's just people throwing out names. There's nothing factual or objective about it.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2005 06:14 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

The only reason you'll never find a best is because it'd be a bit hard to round up everyone in the world.

If this was possible, the best could be proven on technical ability. Because is one can do things better, as well as things that other guitarists can't do, then they would obviously be the best. Not finding the best has nothing to do with it being subjective.

Technique isn't subjective. Tom Morello is technically better than Adam Levine from Maroon 5 isn't he? No amount of "Well opinions..." is changing this fact.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2005 06:22 AM
Afro Cheese

I'm not arguing that technique is subjective, only that it works on many levels and who's to say which "area" of technical ability is the most important? I think it's possible to prove one guitarist better than another if you set a specific criteria. Could be speed, timing, accuracy.. whatever. Just as long as you set a criteria and limit the options (like in the case between Adam Levine and Tom Morello). However just saying the "greatest guitarist ever," even if only going by technique, leaves an endless amount of options for potential guitarists and also makes the question subjective cause different guitarists excel in different areas in technique, and different types of technical playing are not always directly comparable.

Which is why on topics like these, unless they're super specific, it's always going to be left to opinion. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be much of a discussion.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2005 06:41 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

There is possibly a best overall technical guitarist, in terms of who is better at the most criteria. This is obviously not gonna happen on KMC.

Your post just emphasised my entire point being that these threads should be titled favourite, not best. Because people are naming guitarists irrelevant to the thread.

There's no point discussing actual best, because whilst there is one, we won't be finding it will we?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2005 07:37 AM