KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » All in All who is the better Super Hero Superman or Captain Marvel aka Shazam

All in All who is the better Super Hero Superman or Captain Marvel aka Shazam
This poll is closed.
Superman 12 85.71%
Captain Marvel 2 14.29%
Total: 14 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

All in All who is the better Super Hero Superman or Captain Marvel aka Shazam
Started by: golem370

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
olympian

Weird story with the rip offs.

Hyperion and Gladiator are direct rips of SM concept. Direct.

And yet neither ever saw a lawsuit because they couldnt touch SMs popularity.

CM did. Thats what made him dangerous so to speak.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2006 05:08 PM
olympian is currently offline Click here to Send olympian a Private Message Find more posts by olympian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

It was the 1940's. If Shazam came around in the 1960's or 70's, would there have been a lawsuit?
To me the similarities are minor. Both are super-strong, near-invunerable, can fly and wear dashing outfits. Shazam's origin and power-base is completely different, while Gladiator & all the Hyperion's are nudge-nudge-wink-wink riffs of Big Blue.
Marvel never sued DC over Guardian being a ripoff of Captain America, or Aquaman being a copy of Namor.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2006 06:57 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Milkie

Yeah

Old Post Jul 24th, 2006 07:23 PM
Milkie is currently offline Click here to Send Milkie a Private Message Find more posts by Milkie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
D-Block

quote: (post)
Originally posted by snoopdogg
Superman is below Captain Marvel in strength, speed, powerset, and I think Captain Marvel has a slight edge in durability also.

Plus Captain Marvel does not have any weaknesses.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2006 03:30 AM
D-Block is currently offline Click here to Send D-Block a Private Message Find more posts by D-Block Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Technically speaking....Captain Marvel is the Superman of Magic in the DCU.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2006 04:56 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MattDay

to be honest these two are pinacles in dc's universe, wraithful is quite right, superman is superman and captain marvel is superman minus the sense abilities for magic endurance and abilities.

a few more comics of these two powerhouse taking on powerful villains would be nice.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2006 09:43 PM
MattDay is currently offline Click here to Send MattDay a Private Message Find more posts by MattDay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
D-Block

Originally posted by Milkie
No

It seems like the official story from DC is that Captain Marvel is a Superman imitator. "Clash" even has Cap admitting it himself. But is that the real story ? Let's see... Superman was created first...but that's about it. Who was first to have a bald headed mad scientist for an enemy? Captain Marvel. Dr Sivana appeared in Cap's first story. Luther didn't appear until late 1940, months later, and he had a full head of red hair. It was only after Sivana became so popular with readers did DC make Luthor bald to copy him. Who flew first ? Captain Marvel was flying under his own power very early on while Superman was still only leaping an eighth of a mile. DC copied Fawcett again. Cap was also completely invunerable before Superman was... so DC had to do Fawcett one better by giving Superman super-senses. Capt Marvel Jr and Mary Marvel were created years before Superboy and Supergirl. Heck, even Hoppy the Marvel Bunny appeared before Krypto the Superdog! The classic SUPERMAN THE MOVIE seems to have borrowed from Captain Marvel as well as Superman comics: After Krypton explodes, Jor El becomes very much a Shazam like spirit who counsels Superman in a Fortress that is reminiscent of the Rock of Eternity. Miss Teschmacher is much closer to Beautia than any Superman comic book character. Even Otis seems more like a henchman you'd find in a Capt Marvel adventure. And just who was the very first comic book superhero to fly across the silver screen in live action. Not Superman, who made his live action debut in 1948...it was Captain Marvel in the classic Republic serial of 1941. In the 1970s, Clark Kent became a TV reporter in the comics. Billy Batson had been a TV reporter since the 1950s (and a radio reporter before that). I don't see how Capt Marvel is a Superman imitator...what I see is Superman wanting to be just like Captain Marvel...and THOSE are the FACTS !!

Real Talk

Old Post Dec 26th, 2006 10:49 PM
D-Block is currently offline Click here to Send D-Block a Private Message Find more posts by D-Block Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MattDay

zzzzzzzz boring, superman owns capt marvel, who did what first is irrelevant, who finishes and gets all the glory is the name of the game... i dont see any captain marvel films... cause he sucks

Old Post Dec 27th, 2006 05:38 PM
MattDay is currently offline Click here to Send MattDay a Private Message Find more posts by MattDay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Up In Flames
"Man of Granite"

I used to like superman until the writers started writing integrating stupidity into his character by giving him such powers as t-vo and movement at speeds beyond light, and portraying him as a sissified teenager in smallville. And I always thought captain marvel to be a dorky looking hero until i read kingdom come. After that, it was "Damn, this guy's better than supes!"

But other than that, I prefer Captain Marvel because he's a more humble guy whereas Superman has this "I am more powerful than you'll ever be" attitude going on.

excuse my fist... it thinks you belong with the dirt on the floor...

Old Post Dec 31st, 2006 11:20 AM
Up In Flames is currently offline Click here to Send Up In Flames a Private Message Find more posts by Up In Flames Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Up In Flames
Superman has this "I am more powerful than you'll ever be" attitude going on.

...how?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Dec 31st, 2006 05:36 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MattDay

that's actually the way captain marvel acts at times, superman is always complementing people, saying that they are his toughest opponent ever, when you know he's fibbing, just being nice to them.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2006 06:02 PM
Up In Flames
"Man of Granite"

Originally posted by pr1983
...how?

Whether he's talking to a villain or fellow hero, he usually has this dictator-like aura in his speech.

How do you think Batman was able to subdue him briefly? He's so proud of himself that he was able to be held at bay by a much less powerful being than himself.

Last edited by Up In Flames on Jan 1st, 2007 at 03:21 AM

Old Post Jan 1st, 2007 03:16 AM
Up In Flames is currently offline Click here to Send Up In Flames a Private Message Find more posts by Up In Flames Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MattDay

that makes no sense but yea whatev

Old Post Jan 1st, 2007 07:25 PM
Up In Flames
"Man of Granite"

you aint got no common sense anyway...

Old Post Jan 10th, 2007 01:54 AM
MattDay

i think ur lack of common sense is making u think i have none, ur crazy man!... i like u! but ur crazy!... man I feel tired....

Old Post Jan 11th, 2007 08:15 AM
Up In Flames
"Man of Granite"

Maybe you should change your name to "MattGay"

Old Post Jan 12th, 2007 04:42 AM
MattDay

dude that is unoriginal and i spit on u for a lame attempt, NAZI!

Old Post Jan 13th, 2007 05:00 PM
Up In Flames
"Man of Granite"

Originally posted by MattDay
dude that is unoriginal and i spit on u for a lame attempt, NAZI!

Um... how does calling you a sissy make me racist?

Old Post Jan 14th, 2007 04:33 AM
MattDay

to the moon and back so i hear

Old Post Jan 14th, 2007 01:46 PM
Up In Flames
"Man of Granite"

???

Old Post Jan 18th, 2007 01:57 AM