KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » History Forum

Do you like the idea of a History Forum
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
I like the idea and support it! 59 78.67%
I don't like the idea. 16 21.33%
Total: 75 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

History Forum
Started by: DE Calvin

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Hazardous

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Wesker
We don't exactly have a lot of scholars browsing this place though. It's a movie/game/pwnz00rs type community.

It should be about time to change that really...too many bored teenagers with nothing better to do roaming around putting crap out there.

I like the idea thumb up

Originally posted by Bloigen
Meh, it's all good now but when it comes no one posts in it.

True...if its going to just be copy/paste info from Google it'll get old fast...

Old Post Mar 8th, 2006 01:40 PM
Hazardous is currently offline Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Funkadelic

I LOVE the idea.

It's an image worth pondering for a moment. Maybe, when you cut past the instrumental and songwriting virtuosity, the funny voices and characters, what is left is a man alone in his recording studio for days at a time.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2006 02:59 PM
Funkadelic is currently offline Click here to Send Funkadelic a Private Message Find more posts by Funkadelic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bogen

luv it, lets get started!

Facebook
Cheers starlock, your a champ. wink

Old Post Mar 8th, 2006 09:28 PM
bogen is currently offline Click here to Send bogen a Private Message Find more posts by bogen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raz
Meister

Admin

Originally posted by Storm
The General Discussion Forum is fit for these type of discussions imo.
Good point. There don't seem to be many history threads in the GDF.

So I'm wondering if the people who are voting 'yes' would actually participate in such a forum?

Old Post Mar 8th, 2006 10:51 PM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweetness
Fabulously Delicious

I like the idea alot and i'd definitely participate in a history forum happy

Old Post Mar 8th, 2006 11:20 PM
sweetness is currently offline Click here to Send sweetness a Private Message Find more posts by sweetness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zebina
I Hate Attention Whores

Good Idea thumb up

Click Please

Old Post Mar 8th, 2006 11:30 PM
Zebina is currently offline Click here to Send Zebina a Private Message Find more posts by Zebina Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Originally posted by Mišt
It should be about time to change that really...too many bored teenagers with nothing better to do roaming around putting crap out there.

I agree, this place could actually use some intellectual discussion.
I vote yes.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Mar 9th, 2006 05:39 AM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TOH
Dude, where is my car?

Originally posted by Raz
Good point. There don't seem to be many history threads in the GDF.

So I'm wondering if the people who are voting 'yes' would actually participate in such a forum?

I was wondering the same because one thing is "ok, the idea is cool" another is "we really need a new forum to talk about it"
I have an idea: Open something like: "The Official History Thread" and see what happens...

Made by the awesome BakaXero

Old Post Mar 9th, 2006 06:34 AM
TOH is currently offline Click here to Send TOH a Private Message Find more posts by TOH Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

The offer in the GDF isn' t big enough to separate the threads into a (sub) forum imo.

Supporting an idea and actively participating in the debates once the (sub) forum is created are indeed two different things.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2006 10:57 AM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

The offer in the GDF isn' t big enough to separate the threads into a (sub) forum imo.

Supporting an idea and actively participating in the debates once the (sub) forum is created are indeed two different things.

Well, there are 30 votes for yes and comparing it to the other Sub Forums...where there are like 3 regular participants, it certainly has aa chance. I don't see the harm in it either.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2006 01:03 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
calvs
Kommunist

The General Discussion Forum is fit for these type of discussions imo.

In that case, everything would fit into the GDF.

Some men die under the mountain just looking for gold
Some die looking for a hand to hold

Old Post Mar 9th, 2006 09:06 PM
calvs is currently offline Click here to Send calvs a Private Message Find more posts by calvs Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Hence the "general" in GDF.

I skimmed through the first 10 pages of the GDF and found 1 thread, contrary to the Philosophy and Religion Forum which earned their place. There were grounds for separating them from the GDF. I' m just wondering where those 31 members who voted yes are?

And no offense DE Calvin, but you haven' t started a single thread concerning history yourself.

I' m just of the opinion that there should be a reasonable amount of threads first, before requesting any new forums. Creating forums for the sake of it seems a tad pointless to me.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2006 08:58 AM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Makedde
Xena: Warrior Princess

What sort of history would we talk about anyway?

Old Post Mar 10th, 2006 10:02 AM
Makedde is currently offline Click here to Send Makedde a Private Message Find more posts by Makedde Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eggmayo

Personally i'd be talking about the two world wars and the vietnam war, but its a massive difference of opinion as to which aspects of history most interest you.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2006 03:52 PM
eggmayo is currently offline Click here to Send eggmayo a Private Message Find more posts by eggmayo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

I'd actively participate in the forum. KMC gets a lot of traffic via Google, and with a month or set let set (With a few topics with common searched history ideas and names) and it'll be on the move. I disagree on the material being shoveled into the General Discussion; I look in there and see a lot of Current Events type deals and miscellany threads that haven't yet been moved to their proper sections. I can see a history subforum under there next to phlosophy and religion being welcome and useful. I don't look in the General Discussion section and go "Hey, I'd love to discuss Hannibal of Carthage here". I think "OMfg... this thread has way too much casual traffic. My history thread would get buried and neglected."

In any case, it won't hurt to try. If it doesn't pan out in a month or two, consolidate the threads into General Discussion and scrap the idea.

That's my two cents.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2006 02:37 AM
Janus Marius is currently offline Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

If your thread would get buried and neglected, then it would be because it doesn' t appeal a large enough interested public.

I’ m welcoming, applauding and supporting the idea to get debates going about history (I studied ancient history myself), but as things stand now, I don’ t see the point in creating a (sub) forum.

Make poverty history.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2006 10:36 AM
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Not everything's going to just spring up and demand a place though. History isn't a popular trend or a media type- it's a serious subject. Like I said, looking as both a first-time poster and even now over a year later, I took one look in the General Forums and said "Nah, not posting anything really intelligent in here." It had nothing to do with it generating interest and everything to do with it being buried instantaneously about topics like "Wu screwd wu in teh show!!1/1??" and "arbortoin r teh wr0ng!!!" within the first hour. Most browsers are going to take in at a glance the first page-full of data they see and make a decision whether or not to post. If it's consolidated into one subforum, there's less crap to sort through to find chocolate.

In America, voting is simple. But less than 60% of voters vote. Why? Voter registration was the main problem. It was a simple process in itself, but it was one more hurdle and the public wasn't interested enough to put that kind of effort. This is the modern communications era- they wanted to hit a button, pick the guy who's securing their pension, and go home or to the bar.

Same mindset here- browsing is really simple. But when you can't browse at a glance and isolate topics you want to work on, it suddenly goes from hopeful to "Eh, I ain't doin' that" mentality. With 80,000 members or more, I'm sure the subforum will generate interest.

Last edited by Janus Marius on Mar 11th, 2006 at 03:21 PM

Old Post Mar 11th, 2006 03:18 PM
Janus Marius is currently offline Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

I have to agree with that, I never felt the need to start any kind of history thread in the GDF, now I am not the greatest thread starter out there. But a subforum about something like this would probably generate a lot more threads. Personally I don't really see the GDF as a place to post a history thread, to me its more a current events discussion place instead of a place where you can just start threads about everything you want as long as its serious.

With a history subforum you are kinda forced to talk about history, and people will make threads about history. And I know I would post in it.

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Mar 11th, 2006 06:46 PM
Fishy is currently offline Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
calvs
Kommunist

Raz ok-ed it. Now I need to make a thread in the GDF, and have people post in it. Any ideas for the topic?

Some men die under the mountain just looking for gold
Some die looking for a hand to hold

Old Post Mar 11th, 2006 06:48 PM
calvs is currently offline Click here to Send calvs a Private Message Find more posts by calvs Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eggmayo

How about 'Most interesting period of time and why?'

Old Post Mar 11th, 2006 07:12 PM
eggmayo is currently offline Click here to Send eggmayo a Private Message Find more posts by eggmayo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote