KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » The Cave Scene!

The Cave Scene!
Started by: JediRobin23

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

The Cave Scene!

In the Empire Strikes Back, Luke went into a cave and encountered Vader, where at the time he thought it was real. After the defeat, Luke's face was shown underneath Vader's mask.

What Does this mean? Later in the movie, Yoda says "The cave, remember your failure at the cave" Luke "Master Yoda, I learned so much since then"

When Luke said this, he knew he did something wrong at the time.

At the time with Vader...
Was it Retaliation to destroy the enemy? (The thing a Jedi to do) or giving into anger? (Path to the darkside) perhaps due to his parents, Owen and Beru's death.

OR, was it an indication of Vader and Luke being the same person. If Luke were to kill Vader (himself) it would lead Luke along the same darkside path his father did (In another way).

The same kinda thought Luke felt as Vader was lying defeated on the death star in Ep VI.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2007 05:22 AM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Your question is kind of slanted. It's like asking someone the literal meaning of a scene v. the figurative meaning of a scene; which in this case it's apparent that they're the same.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Sep 26th, 2007 06:07 AM
Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

There are many threads debating teh cave scene.

Roughly it comes down to this: Luke goes into teh domain of evil to meet his own dark side. It's a test. Luke doesn't have to take his weapons, but he doesn't dare to go without them. He trusts them more than Yoda, so he meets that what the Dark Side can lead to if you rely on the power of your abilities/tools instead of the Force. He meets himself in a way, or what he could end up as... So he failed by choosing the path of the Dark Side and meeting it.

I bet there's many way to discuss it. The trick is not to discuss it too much, it's the best scene from the saga, let's not ruin it.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2007 11:25 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Count Makashi
Count Dookus number 1 fan

The best scene in the Saga?

Its great, but everything with Dooku is the best scene in the Saga.(Had to do it, couldn't resist stick out tongue )

General G made this sig, but i am going to keep annoying him.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2007 04:54 PM
Click here to Send Count Makashi a Private Message Find more posts by Count Makashi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

There are no "best scenes of the saga" in the PT.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2007 06:05 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chewy16

The Cave is everything that is great with SW, cause it doesn't talk down to the viewer. In a sense, the only explaination you get is Yoda saying, "Remember your failure at the cave."

Compare that with Anakin in ROTS saying to Dooku, "My powers have doubled since we last met Count." OK, are we that stupid George, that we haven't figured out that Anakin is much more powerful now then he was in AOTC, do you have to hit us over the head?

Getting back to the cave, this is a turning point in the SW movies, and I wish Lucas would have continued on with these type of scenes instead of how he approached ROTJ & the PT and trying to pander to kids. Just watch any Scifi movie, you just don't see scenes like this, haunting yet with a certain contextial meaning that the viewer really doesn't understand until repeated viewings.

The cave is a perfect example of trusting the audience and not trying to trick them, but just kinda throw them off, but once the do get it, it makes perfect sense. Luke biggest demon was himself, and that is why he sees his face in Vaders mask, and it is a metaphor for every person who sees a SW movie, your biggest enemy in life is sometimes the person you see in the mirror everyday.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2007 01:26 AM
Click here to Send chewy16 a Private Message Find more posts by chewy16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I saw ESB when I was 11 years old and I wondered much an dlong about that scene. It stuck to me becaue it made me think... it was fascinating and intriguing... best scene of the saga.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2007 07:37 AM
vintageSW77
MANCUNIAN

I love the cave
Its Star Wars on acid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPHBqi5Lv54

Old Post Sep 29th, 2007 07:38 AM
Click here to Send vintageSW77 a Private Message Find more posts by vintageSW77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Oh yeah.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2007 01:51 PM
General G
Canadian.

I wasn't too fond of it, it never stuck out.

Made by Tiffy!

Old Post Oct 9th, 2007 07:29 PM
Click here to Send General G a Private Message Find more posts by General G Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Subjekt
The beginning of the end.

Lucas actually explains it in the commentary for Ep5, i believe. Him turning to the darkside is his destiny shouldhe continue down the path he was on at that time, i.e. not trusting in Yoda and the force, looking away to the future and for adventure and excitement. Luckily for the Jedi, he changed his ways after meeting with Vader. He would have turned in ESB, but instead he calmed himself and looked down at the holes and trusted that the force would guide him to safety and away from Vader.

Thanks to Advent for the Sig!

Old Post Oct 10th, 2007 03:43 AM
Click here to Send Darth Subjekt a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Subjekt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

That sounds like GL alright.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2007 06:53 AM
Sesse
Jedi Ghost

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
but instead he calmed himself and looked down at the holes and trusted that the force would guide him to safety and away from Vader.

That sounds almost as risky as going to WC with lights out and trusting that the Force would lift the seat up for you...

Last edited by Sesse on Oct 10th, 2007 at 10:20 AM

Old Post Oct 10th, 2007 10:06 AM
Click here to Send Sesse a Private Message Find more posts by Sesse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

laughing out loud

Old Post Oct 10th, 2007 11:17 AM
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: The Cave Scene!

Originally posted by JediRobin23
In the Empire Strikes Back, Luke went into a cave and encountered Vader, where at the time he thought it was real. After the defeat, Luke's face was shown underneath Vader's mask.

What Does this mean? Later in the movie, Yoda says "The cave, remember your failure at the cave" Luke "Master Yoda, I learned so much since then"

When Luke said this, he knew he did something wrong at the time.

At the time with Vader...
Was it Retaliation to destroy the enemy? (The thing a Jedi to do) or giving into anger? (Path to the darkside) perhaps due to his parents, Owen and Beru's death.

OR, was it an indication of Vader and Luke being the same person. If Luke were to kill Vader (himself) it would lead Luke along the same darkside path his father did (In another way).

The same kinda thought Luke felt as Vader was lying defeated on the death star in Ep VI.

"only what you take with you". to me this is an indication that the cave simply manifests one's own fear and anger into hallucinations/visions. luke wanted to kill vader because his motivation was rooted in fear and revenge, thats what he brought with him. as far as luke seeing his own face, i think it simply indicated to luke how easy it was to turn to the dark side, as he certainly did not behave like a jedi. notice also that it was luke who drew his weapon first.

not that i presume to have figured the scene out....in fact i think its a mind****

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Old Post Oct 10th, 2007 01:47 PM
Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Not really...it's understandable, but more emotionally than to put into words. Plus it has more than one side to it, that's why it's so great.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2007 02:02 PM
Darth Subjekt
The beginning of the end.

WC? I've been at work all day...I'm tired and don't get it now. I now know what its like to be Count Makashi...

Thanks to Advent for the Sig!

Old Post Oct 10th, 2007 07:43 PM
Click here to Send Darth Subjekt a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Subjekt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

Re: Re: The Cave Scene!

Originally posted by Schecter
"only what you take with you". to me this is an indication that the cave simply manifests one's own fear and anger into hallucinations/visions. luke wanted to kill vader because his motivation was rooted in fear and revenge, thats what he brought with him. as far as luke seeing his own face, i think it simply indicated to luke how easy it was to turn to the dark side, as he certainly did not behave like a jedi. notice also that it was luke who drew his weapon first.

not that i presume to have figured the scene out....in fact i think its a mind****

I think perhaps its a test for Luke only. A test not explained in the PT, but a test for a Jedi to understand himself, or part of his learning. Yoda knew what might happen. Luke failed in Yoda's eyes due to this, as Yoda felt it.

This led Yoda to not have the full confidence in Luke to take on the emperor alone without the full training of previous Jedi training in the republic.. Luke`s cockyness and confidence was a risk to a Jedi order that was there before. The republic as Yoda knew it.
Luke was either a Risk or the only one to save the galaxy from Palpatine. Cant blame Yoda, he was decieved with Anakin, extra precautions needed for Luke. Obiwan knew as well as Yoda, but being the last hope. Obiwan was obligated to do what he had to do. Train Luke and take the risk.
Luke was faithful to the force until he gave into his anger on the death star. Only then he had a taste of the darkside as he defeated his father. This was a point that not even Yoda could have predicted. Faith in the force, Luke was the one who defeated the emperor.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2007 04:40 AM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Luke for Chosen One!

Old Post Oct 11th, 2007 06:48 AM
Count Makashi
Count Dookus number 1 fan

Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
WC? I've been at work all day...I'm tired and don't get it now. I now know what its like to be Count Makashi...

Whats that supposed to mean, i don't get it. confused

General G made this sig, but i am going to keep annoying him.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2007 06:18 PM
Click here to Send Count Makashi a Private Message Find more posts by Count Makashi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote