KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Special Edition Is Out!!!!!!!!

Special Edition Is Out!!!!!!!!
Started by: finti

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
finti

quote:
not NewLineCinema who did what was right.

to draw each penny they can out of it.
Greed, if you think otherwise you really should take some economic classes cause this is what it is all about. MONEY

Old Post Nov 30th, 2002 10:02 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mujaffa
Lift a Mullah

that's kewl... i', one of them stupid people who bought the frist to come out........

"Get on the bus with Leary and Scorcese, you're goin' right to ****in' hell!" Chikushoo

Old Post Nov 30th, 2002 10:05 PM
Mujaffa is currently offline Click here to Send Mujaffa a Private Message Find more posts by Mujaffa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

or richsmile

quote:
to draw each penny they can out of it.
Greed, if you think otherwise you really should take some economic classes cause this is what it is all about. MONEY

so you think they should've only released a fatass expencive dvd, and thus making the mainstream customer who only wants the film on dvd pissed because he has to pay lots for a big box? do you actually have any logic behind these mad ramblings?

Old Post Nov 30th, 2002 10:22 PM
mah is currently offline Click here to Send mah a Private Message Find more posts by mah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mujaffa
Lift a Mullah

gotta buy............

"Get on the bus with Leary and Scorcese, you're goin' right to ****in' hell!" Chikushoo

Old Post Dec 1st, 2002 01:22 AM
Mujaffa is currently offline Click here to Send Mujaffa a Private Message Find more posts by Mujaffa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
originally posted by Mah
do you actually have any logic behind these mad ramblings?

the thing is they didnt have to make both dvd`s at all.
AOTC could have done the same, one dvd with the film and some extra stuff, and one dvd where the deleted scenes were added to the story.

What they did with LOTR is called aggressive marketing, they speculate in the consumers will to purchase more products of more or less the same thing only with some sort of adjustments. So NLC have made two different products out of the FOTR film.
Not every body is like you Mah, they buy what comes out.
There are a lot of people who just feel they have to have this dvd too cause they feel they will miss out on something. These people are NewLineCinemas target group. And it is a very speculative way of marketing as well as aggressive. And then there are all those impulsive buyers too.
Many soccer clubs have done the same with having multiply of different jersys and the fan feel obligated to buy `em all to pretty stiff prices too.

Dont be fooled Mah, NLC knows what they are doing and that is to make as much money as possible out of the product.
It will be interesting to see when Two Towers is released on dvd if the "ordinary" will sell as much as FOTR or if people will hold out until the Extended version.

My friend is not a movie going type, he bought the FOTR ordinary version so he too could see it. I told him to wait for the extended version but no way.
Well me and another of my friends who saw the extended version on friday talked about how cool the extended version was. This made the first friend I mentioned a little pissed so he went and bought the extended version too. Even if I offerd him to loan mine.

And why do you think this extended version wwas held for release until close to xmas???????

Old Post Dec 1st, 2002 09:05 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

finti is right the producing two dvd's is pure marketing they want to make as much money as possible
tho they never made it a secret that the second edition would be much bigger than the first one

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Dec 1st, 2002 09:41 AM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

if New Line Cinema had released only one version, it would be like the AOTC; a good deal of extras but nothing extraordinary. this was what the first LOTR dvd was, and that is probably the one who sells the most. but in addition, they make a humongous monster of an extra-feast, expencive, but for the hard fans. I honestly do no see any other way of solving it than making two version, one 'normal' and one hardcore.

it was released months later because it obviously takes longer time to make it.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2002 01:03 PM
mah is currently offline Click here to Send mah a Private Message Find more posts by mah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

but by making two versions they are "tempting" people to buy both and this is the speculative part of it. Greedy part if you like. And it cant be denied

Old Post Dec 1st, 2002 01:34 PM
Mujaffa
Lift a Mullah

Happy Dance

Old Post Dec 1st, 2002 03:32 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well, even though all companies are there to make money I do NOT see this as a cynical exploitation. They were open and honest about it and, as we say, the two different versions suit different people. Consumers only have themselves to blame if they buy both needlessy.

And DVDs and films are not necessarily synonomous. While the extra scenes are all very well in a DVD designed to be longer, they would have not added much to the FILM going experience and would have pointlessly extended it.

I have no problem with the dual release at all; I think it is a good use of the resources at their disposal.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 11th, 2002 02:10 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dejio

Just bought the DVD Extended of LOTR:FOTR. Why only now? It's because I thought it would be released here about the same time. But nooo.. it took them four months to actually sell the S.E.! mad

Anyway, on with my thoughts about the LOTR:FOTR S.E DVD;
The DVD'd were great! The scenes that were deleted in the original were great! There were a lot of scenes that I couldn't believe they removed from the film. Like the scene were the fellowship camped near the river. The conversion that Boromir had with Aragorn were (IMO) important to the development of the story and the character, Boromir.
It justified why he wanted to take the ring from Frodo, because he saw that Aragorn lost his trust/hope with his "own" kind. He took it upon himself to do what must be done. I just thought it made his character even more interesting. Also, the last battle scene were Boromir died were much longer. The buildup of the action was better.

There are other stuffs that I thought should have not been edited out. But I understand PJ's reasons for doing so. Tough job indeed.

Last edited by Dejio on Mar 31st, 2003 at 02:01 AM

Old Post Mar 31st, 2003 01:55 AM
Dejio is currently offline Click here to Send Dejio a Private Message Find more posts by Dejio Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

I watched the SE today, because I could. big grin

Old Post Mar 31st, 2003 03:40 AM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Member.

laughing out loud

Old Post Mar 31st, 2003 05:31 AM
Member. is currently offline Click here to Send Member. a Private Message Find more posts by Member. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Thank you, I'll be here til Thursday...

I like the extended beginning where we see Isildur put on the Ring. It takes away that mysterious paused part that I thought was great in the original. Good thing I have both versions!

Old Post Apr 1st, 2003 02:00 AM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dejio

I loved the gift giving scene in Lorien.

Also the part where Elrond talked to Aragorn on the tomb of his mother.
It gives me the feeling that the two actually know each other on a more personal level, than what was originally portrayed in the original version.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2003 02:26 AM
Dejio is currently offline Click here to Send Dejio a Private Message Find more posts by Dejio Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Yes, both of those scenes were good.

"I asked for a golden hair from her head...she gave me three..."

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2003 05:28 AM