KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » What is the strongest emotion and why?

What is the strongest emotion and why?
Started by: Aster Phoenix

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (16): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
MightyCelestial

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Mindship
Certainly this must be the most deeply hard-wired, shared by every living thing (ie, those organisms which didn't know fear likely didn't flee and got et). But would this make it the "strongest" emotion? Hard to say since love can override fear.

I would go with fear and anger, as these are the two most deeply hard-wired. But again, does that necessarily mean they're the "strongest"?

To me, anger is a subcatercory of fear.
Anger in any form, results from fear (IMO).

Old Post Sep 8th, 2008 04:06 AM
MightyCelestial is currently offline Click here to Send MightyCelestial a Private Message Find more posts by MightyCelestial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by MightyCelestial
To me, anger is a subcatercory of fear.
Anger in any form, results from fear (IMO).
Biologically, I don't know if, in the fight-or-flight mechanism, one is secondary to the other. But psychologically, I would agree. I'm inclined to agree with this as well...
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
...most emotions are ways of dealing with fear.
More to the point: Death Terror.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2008 10:46 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

to emphasize how complex a question like this is, let me give an example.

Piet Mondrian is an artist who made vibrant paintings of large square blocks of colour. I personally find them incredibly beautiful, though this is unimportant.

There are experimental tasks that researchers can do in order to occupy a person's attention. This is actually not all that hard. Say you have a display of red C's and green Os, like 10 of each. Then, there is a target, a red O (the idea being that you must attend to both the colour and the shape of the object in order to find the target, and it occupies your visual system, because it can't find the target by only looking for red things or O shaped things, it has to mix the info together).

So, here is the task. Subjects look through the search display of Os and Cs for the red O target. as they do this, a Mondrian-esque picture is displayed below the search display.

After finding the target in a number of searches, subjects are shown various mondrian-esque pictures, which they have to give a subjective evaluation of. By selecting abstract colour based pictures, it reduces the chance that a subject will remember an exact piece shown during the display (obviously display pictures were randomized, lest one thinks only the less beautiful ones were presented, and yes, there is a chance that, for each observer, the pictures displayed would have been subjectively less beautiful, though with statistical analysis [and considering the paper was published in peer review] the probability of this is far less than of the conclusions I'm discussing).

Subjects would rank the pictures that had been present during the search as less beautiful and inspiring than those that had not been. This shows that an emotional response to stimuli is based largely on the context that stimuli was presented in.

So, with relation to this thread, defining what constitutes and emotion or emotional power is going to be a difficult hurdle to begin with. Adding the fact that attentional prioritization and immediate context have an affect on emotional processing gives yet another layer of complexity to the issue.

Last edited by tsilamini on Sep 8th, 2008 at 05:39 PM

Old Post Sep 8th, 2008 05:35 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FoxMeister
Tank

People say you can't control hate but i've never known a time when you could control love and if you can, it's not love at all

Old Post Sep 8th, 2008 06:06 PM
FoxMeister is currently offline Click here to Send FoxMeister a Private Message Find more posts by FoxMeister Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

I say Fear

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Sep 8th, 2008 06:36 PM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by Deja~vu
Love/Hate

People kill in the name of love
People kill in the name of hate.

The opposite of Love/Hate is indifference. So Love/Hate are in the same polar catagory and are the strongest.

People kill over a bag of skittles and a pair of tennis shoe's too. People kill for all types of reasons.

does anyone actually kill in the name of love? I've never thought someone can kill another with love in their heart. Maybe, it's a conflict of emotions taking place but i don't think people actually kill entirely out of love.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2008 03:35 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Fear is one of the more common cases of killing

it also can dominate any other emotion

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Sep 9th, 2008 03:56 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

Is fear really an emotion? When cockroaches run when you hit the lights, is that fear? Because most people would say that insects are incapable of emotion, but they run for the hills when a predator is after them.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2008 05:07 AM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Is fear really an emotion?

Yes. Fear is a very basic emotion.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2008 05:10 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Yes. Fear is a very basic emotion.

So can a cricket be happy?

^I'm not being a dick, that's a real question. They run...hop for their lives, so why can't they experience the polar opposite?

Old Post Sep 9th, 2008 05:14 AM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

^I'm not being a dick, that's a real question. They run...hop for their lives, so why can't they experience the polar opposite?

I don't see what that has to do with fear/happiness being real emotions.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2008 05:18 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jack Daniels
WOW!

mmm greed tops the list as most "POWERFUL" ask any ceo of oil or pharmaceutical companies..lol

I can't see straight will someone point me to the milkbar..?

Old Post Sep 9th, 2008 08:17 AM
Jack Daniels is currently offline Click here to Send Jack Daniels a Private Message Find more posts by Jack Daniels Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

I don't think insects have the gray matter for "happiness." For a roach, the polar opposite of fear is simply its absence.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2008 10:50 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

suprised noone has mention jealously/envy

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Sep 9th, 2008 11:13 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

one would assume, yes, a cricket can be content. As in, they have all their immediate needs satiated and any predictive ability (a property of all nervous systems, to at least a small degree) they have shows no threat.

If that doesn't satisfy your definition of happiness, I totally understand. However, a similar description would accompany a cockroach's experience of fear.

A cockroach likely doesn't have much subjective experience of these things, so it wouldn't experience the "emotion" of fear, if you want to describe it like that.

My argument might be something like, all human emotions are based off of similar neural circuits, only interpreted by way more frontal lobe, but I know next to nothing about emotions.

Originally posted by Mindship
For a roach, the polar opposite of fear is simply its absence.

This is potentially the case in humans as well. Fight or flight reactions and anxiety have unique cortical representations, and affect the body differently than other emotions.

There is also the idea that emotions are more representative of our narrative description for a state of arousal, or even just our physical posture. Studies have concluded that people who force the muscles in their face to form a smile report more positive feeling.

Last edited by tsilamini on Sep 9th, 2008 at 04:18 PM

Old Post Sep 9th, 2008 04:15 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by inimalist
This is potentially the case in humans as well. Fight or flight reactions and anxiety have unique cortical representations, and affect the body differently than other emotions.

There is also the idea that emotions are more representative of our narrative description for a state of arousal, or even just our physical posture. Studies have concluded that people who force the muscles in their face to form a smile report more positive feeling.

There may be some truth to this. As is often said, eg, the opposite of love is not hate, but apathy. Put more bluntly: the opposite of any emotional state (ie, its physiological correlates) is its absence. However, in terms of human subjective experience, most people I think tend to polarize one emotion against another, rather than pair an emotion with its absence.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2008 05:31 PM
76qq309
*insert donkey laugh here

there is no strongest emtion. they are all balanced perfectly.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2008 09:52 PM
76qq309 is currently offline Click here to Send 76qq309 a Private Message Find more posts by 76qq309 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kris Blaze
Restricted

Account Restricted

Hate.

I give you the only thing an Orange Lantern gives....Demands

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2008 12:31 AM
Kris Blaze is currently offline Click here to Send Kris Blaze a Private Message Find more posts by Kris Blaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

If it counts, Obsession.
Then, Rage
Guilt
Hate etc

I don't know about love, as I have never truely felt it, or what it is descibed as, thus it's absense. I've felt plenty of hate though.

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2008 12:40 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dominis

Hate is probably a bit stronger than love. Love can easily turn into hate.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2008 04:19 AM
Dominis is currently offline Click here to Send Dominis a Private Message Find more posts by Dominis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote