KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Abrahamic God, worst serial killer in history?

Abrahamic God, worst serial killer in history?
Started by: Bicnarok

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bardock42
You don't have to believe the stories, to have your own interpretation of it. We don't need to believe the Joker exists to see that, within the fiction, he killed a lot of people. What annoys atheists, I believe, and probably you, too, are Christians that have a wrong impression of "God", which they blindly follow, which is contradicted by the book they got it from. Again, with Joker, kinda like if people would believe Joker's teachings should be the basis of everything and also call him kind hearted and peaceful....and also believe he actually exists, and live their life according to it, screwing it up for everyone else.

Well, I went a bit out there. All I am saying is, you don't have to believe it is real, to judge what happened in the Bible.
Indeed.

Even if god is a fictional character, you should know what and who you are worshipping. the people who say "how can a loving and kind god (put random tragic happening here)" don't know who god is.

The judeo christian god has Balls. He has the guts to kill those who defy him and get in his children's way. Its not like loving and kind is the only thing god is.

God is like a father, in more ways than one. In the same way benevolent a father loves a baby and loves everyone, he's also there with the shotgun when the burglar comes to call.

God made our natures to reflect his own. Male's warlike and violent nature represent our wish to defend and to conquer. Not necessarily evil, except when turned against our human brothers for malicious reasons.

So the answer is, to the particular question is "if god is so kind and loving how can he send someone to hell?" God is kind and loving, but he also has the balls to make what needs to happen happen, and if there was no reward/detriment for sin, what is the motivation to follow him and not sin?

the answer is, none. If god loves everyone so much that they all get to go to heaven, we all just kill and rape and murder each other, because we don't care.

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 12:39 AM
Moriarty is currently offline Click here to Send Moriarty a Private Message Find more posts by Moriarty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Originally posted by Lord Knightfa11

The judeo christian god has Balls. He has the guts to kill those who defy him and get in his children's way. Its not like loving and kind is the only thing god is.

God is like a father, in more ways than one. In the same way benevolent a father loves a baby and loves everyone, he's also there with the shotgun when the burglar comes to call.

This draws a distinction between God's children and the rest of humanity. Isn't everyone god's child?

God made our natures to reflect his own. Male's warlike and violent nature represent our wish to defend and to conquer. Not necessarily evil, except when turned against our human brothers for malicious reasons.

Interestingly, warfare and conquest can be directly traced to the rise of agriculture. With the advent of sedentary lifestyles that allowed for clearly marked barriers warfare as we know it was free to appear. Before the agricultural revolution there was, of course, inter-tribal conflict, but it was sporadic and rarely ended in genocide/total destruction the way modern warfare does.

So the answer is, to the particular question is "if god is so kind and loving how can he send someone to hell?" God is kind and loving, but he also has the balls to make what needs to happen happen, and if there was no reward/detriment for sin, what is the motivation to follow him and not sin?

the answer is, none. If god loves everyone so much that they all get to go to heaven, we all just kill and rape and murder each other, because we don't care.

I hate to re-use this point, but if it weren't for god you would just go out and rape/murder the hell out of people? If your only motivation for civil behavior is a fear of retribution I have to question your discipline. It is a lot easier not to do something because of fear than to decide not to do something because it just isn't a good decision. I, for instance, wouldn't go rob a bank/rape/murder someone even if I wouldn't get caught. I can say this because I feel that the negative effects to society from this reaction outweigh the beneficial results for me. I don't need a bogeyman threatening me with eternal torment.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 01:08 AM
Zamp is currently offline Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

Arbitrary rules: depends one what you think he was trying to prove.
Immoral rules: depends on how you take the Euthythro dilemma.
Can judge a fictional character: yeah wonderful posts you guys responded to that but, as I said originally of course you can judge him as a fictional character...so really there was no need for you to point that out...

Oh and on the "impact of the jesus" thing I didn't mean that the OT was necessarily a point for point historical precursor, just that the OT provides a context for where Christianity came from...its like an Xmen spin off comic that occasionally harps back to the original main series...you know, to give it a bit of grounding...

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 01:09 AM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Indeed.

Even if god is a fictional character, you should know what and who you are worshipping. the people who say "how can a loving and kind god (put random tragic happening here)" don't know who god is.

Yes they do. They just aren't familiar with your god.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 01:39 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by Quiero Mota
If you created those robots, then you are in a way, literally superior to them. If you gave them circuits that let them feel discomfort, that automatically gives them "rights"? You made them, and say you could press a button that automatically deactivated them, then you have dominion over them (regardless of why you brought them into existence in the first place).

Having the power to do something, does not give one the right to do something; Might does not make right.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 02:05 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Having the power to do something, does not give one the right to do something; Might does not make right.

However if you as a being are what is right.

Then you do equal right.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 02:09 AM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kris Blaze
Restricted

Account Restricted

God decides what's right and not right.

You don't think he could make 1 + 1 = 3?

I give you the only thing an Orange Lantern gives....Demands

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 02:10 AM
Kris Blaze is currently offline Click here to Send Kris Blaze a Private Message Find more posts by Kris Blaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by Kris Blaze
God decides what's right and not right.

Right and wrong are not arbitrary to the will of God.

You don't think he could make 1 + 1 = 3?

No.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 02:41 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

Says a finite being with an exceptionally minuscule mind and the faintest understanding of the universe compared to the omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent creator of said universe.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 02:55 AM
Kris Blaze
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes they are. It's up to God.

No.

God invented math, he's the base of logic.

God (if he exists) can do whatever he wants.

I give you the only thing an Orange Lantern gives....Demands

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 03:04 AM
Kris Blaze is currently offline Click here to Send Kris Blaze a Private Message Find more posts by Kris Blaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

And these machines you created can just decide that?

If you created everything, that means you created the concept of "right", so why does this thing applied to your creatures also apply to you?

If I gave my robots a rule to not leave the house after 9:00pm, that doesn't mean it automatically applies to me. It's their restriction.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 03:51 AM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

If you created everything, that means you created the concept of "right", so why does this thing applied to your creatures also apply to you?

If I gave my robots a rule to not leave the house after 9:00pm, that doesn't mean it automatically applies to me. It's their restriction.
Yeah, but if you also gave them the ability of decide for themselves, to feel and suffer, then you are a major dick.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 03:55 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

Originally posted by Bardock42
Yeah, but if you also gave them the ability of decide for themselves, to feel and suffer, then you are a major dick.

And the opinions of these measley creatures would mean nothing. The human creator's reasons and purpose would be far beyond anything their computer brains could possibly comprehend. Including petty one-word conlcusions like he's a dick.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 04:01 AM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

And the opinions of these measley creatures would mean nothing. The human creator's reasons and purpose would be far beyond anything their computer brains could possibly comprehend. Including petty one-word conlcusions like he's a dick.
That is but an assumption. Our concepts might very well apply to his motives.

Kinda like how all religion is just a very, very random assumption though, so I guess it's alright. Anyways, "maybe there's another reason", is something that applies to everything, and doesn't help a discussion in the least. To create people just to make them suffer and then kill them is by our best bet just plain mean...your "but maybe he had a deeper reason we don't understand that makes it not mean", doesn't mean anything, scepticism applies to everything...

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 04:28 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by Grand-Moff-Gav
Says a finite being with an exceptionally minuscule mind and the faintest understanding of the universe compared to the omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent creator of said universe.

An omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent creator of the universe cannot say anything, because it does not exist.

Yes they are. It's up to God.

God invented math, he's the base of logic.

God (if he exists) can do whatever he wants.

To the contrary, the virtue of an action is inherent. If God declared murder, rape, and thievery to be right tomorrow, each would still be wrong.

A parent is not entitled to inflict capricious cruelty on a child by virtue of being his creator. Even a creator is subject to right and wrong.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 04:33 AM
Quiero Mota

A parent is not entitled to inflict capricious cruelty on a child by virtue of being his creator. Even a creator is subject to right and wrong.

I agree. A parent didn't create its child from nothing or non-living matter. A parent has a fallible and limited brain. The parent and the child are both members of the same species that eat, breathe and are subjected all other kinds of scientific laws.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 04:39 AM
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ok, don't bring in your "your god, my god stuff" my god is the one depicted by the bible, nothing more, nothing less. As for the children of god, the ones who are obedient and innocent are the ones god will chose to defend over those who are sinful.

Also, your actions depend greatly on your outlook. no matter what you do, you are going to do it differently depending on your outlook, sure you won't rape and murder, but the fact remains that you will still make different decisions that would be more beneficial to you than the people around you, obviously.

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 04:59 AM
Moriarty is currently offline Click here to Send Moriarty a Private Message Find more posts by Moriarty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

Does God inflict the harm or does mankind inflict it on itself?

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 06:16 AM
Dark Riddick
Restricted

Account Restricted

well if the old testament happened... god did some fire slinging and smiting personally to man..

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 07:46 AM
Dark Riddick is currently offline Click here to Send Dark Riddick a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Riddick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

I agree. A parent didn't create its child from nothing or non-living matter. A parent has a fallible and limited brain. The parent and the child are both members of the same species that eat, breathe and are subjected all other kinds of scientific laws.

God did not create man from nothing, but from existent matter. God has fallible human qualities. God created man in His own image. God is subject to right and wrong.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2008 07:50 AM