KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Biggest blunders & missed opportunities in Comic History?

Biggest blunders & missed opportunities in Comic History?
Started by: OB1-adobe

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kris Blaze
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
Yeah i thought it was a little harsh as well. Especially coming from someone with this many posts

Total Posts: 6146

Check out my post count : D

Mate i've heard a lot of people moan about it. Its Just a very boring storyline. I mean people complain about how bad crossovers such as secret Invasion and Civil War, but Zero hour is on a whole new level of mediocrity. Whatever happened to Dan Jurgens ? He was once a quite good writer ?

There was so much on stake in Zero Hour, and the villains were some of my favourites. Guess it comes down to a matter of opinion. Secret Invasion had like, nothing at stake nor did it have a great build up. Zero Hour was epic compared to it, in my opinion.

I give you the only thing an Orange Lantern gives....Demands

Old Post Dec 21st, 2008 05:57 PM
Kris Blaze is currently offline Click here to Send Kris Blaze a Private Message Find more posts by Kris Blaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

Originally posted by Kris Blaze

There was so much on stake in Zero Hour, and the villains were some of my favourites. Guess it comes down to a matter of opinion. Secret Invasion had like, nothing at stake nor did it have a great build up. Zero Hour was epic compared to it, in my opinion.

Epic, but poor characterisation, poor dialogue and nothing more than your cliched ; Uber cosmic character threatens to destroy universe single handily, and then stopped by poorly thought out plot device. Also most of the comic amounted to nothing more than events in history disappearing, and redundant weaker characters standing around basically making appearances for the sake of it ( atheme prominent through out the 90's). Its basically a poor, poor version of COIE. Also wasn't there an incident where they use energy beams to support a city or something ? Its only redeeming feature was when the Spectre goes nuts with Hal, something i wish we saw more of nowadays. You know the shits hit the fan, when the Spectre shows up to kick your ass.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2008 06:05 PM
Cartesian Doubt is currently offline Click here to Send Cartesian Doubt a Private Message Find more posts by Cartesian Doubt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

Yes, u definitely seem to need a date. wink

Old Post Dec 21st, 2008 06:07 PM
Cartesian Doubt is currently offline Click here to Send Cartesian Doubt a Private Message Find more posts by Cartesian Doubt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
I-Drop
Privateer

On the whole I agree, except for the following examples above.
You still think the whole "kid sidekick" thing is cool?

Old Post Dec 21st, 2008 06:37 PM
I-Drop is currently offline Click here to Send I-Drop a Private Message Find more posts by I-Drop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

Originally posted by I-Drop
You still think the whole "kid sidekick" thing is cool?

Depending on the context. I wouldn't have it in the movies, but it certainly worked in the Dark Knight Returns, and Robins have had their pivotal roles to play in numerous of my favourite comics. Identity Crisis, and For the Man who had everything spring to Mind.

There are loads of comic concepts that i don't think are great but, they have been used to work really well. The G.L. rings are a prime example. I mean they are basically 'magic' rings, a fictional concept that is unbelivably lame. However I wouldn't want D.C. to 'uncreate' them.

Last edited by Cartesian Doubt on Dec 21st, 2008 at 06:52 PM

Old Post Dec 21st, 2008 06:48 PM
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

But there are loads of things the companies have done that have been great. But some of the blunders mentioned are serious **** ups.

I agree yes

....although I like Bendis on the Avengers titles, especially New. yes

Old Post Dec 21st, 2008 09:41 PM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

Originally posted by willRules
I agree yes

....although I like Bendis on the Avengers titles, especially New. yes

The New, new Avengers is cool. But the Mighty Avengers and old studff was rubbish.

Marvel should let Ellis have ago with the Avengers. It would be like a paint ball match inside houses of Commons while on mushrooms.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2008 09:50 PM
The Pict
Defender Of The Faith

(please log in to view the image)

Hot sig by Scottie

Old Post Dec 21st, 2008 10:15 PM
The Pict is currently offline Click here to Send The Pict a Private Message Find more posts by The Pict Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Yeah i thought it was a little harsh as well. Especially coming from someone with this many posts

Total Posts: 6146

Quality of thought > Quantity of whining. stick out tongue

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2008 12:58 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TricksterPriest
Renegade Timelord

Jim Starlin's Death Of The New Gods. Worst thing to ever happen to them. erm

Thank god Morrison seems to have retconned it. stick out tongue

Onslaught reborn. thumb down

Killing off Apocalypse in "Blood of Apocalypse." Most contrived storyline I've seen in awhile. Actually, should probably add Twelve Saga to that as well.

Apokolips Now. So much fail..........

Hush. Batman and Superman, plus Hush himself were done really well. Almost everyone else got screwed over. Joker especially.

Superman/Batman. Fun book, but there are tons of errors in it and the writing stunk.

Civil War. Just.....Civil War.

Countdown. Biggest waste of paper for the last 5 years in comics.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2008 10:13 AM
TricksterPriest is currently offline Click here to Send TricksterPriest a Private Message Find more posts by TricksterPriest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

Originally posted by roughrider
blink Man...

...just go out on a date, already.

If you consider the above a quality post i suggest you do less.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2008 05:37 PM
Nihilist

Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Jim Starlin's Death Of The New Gods. Worst thing to ever happen to them. erm

Thank god Morrison seems to have retconned it. stick out tongue

Onslaught reborn. thumb down

Killing off Apocalypse in "Blood of Apocalypse." Most contrived storyline I've seen in awhile. Actually, should probably add Twelve Saga to that as well.

Apokolips Now. So much fail..........

Hush. Batman and Superman, plus Hush himself were done really well. Almost everyone else got screwed over. Joker especially.

Superman/Batman. Fun book, but there are tons of errors in it and the writing stunk.

Civil War. Just.....Civil War.

Countdown. Biggest waste of paper for the last 5 years in comics.
pretty much agree with your list especially countdown,what was the point.

Big thanks to Scythe

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2008 05:59 PM
Nihilist is currently offline Click here to Send Nihilist a Private Message Find more posts by Nihilist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

If you consider the above a quality post i suggest you do less.

That was decades worth of venom on the list - sarcasm was all that came to my mind. Wasn't 'creating Thanos' on the list as well? roll eyes (sarcastic)

My response was a paraphrase from the Red Dwarf Anniversary special, where Kryten (Robert Llewellyn) reads some fan mail aboard the ship;
one particular piece of mail is so long in it's laundry list of complaints, he finally stops and says "Ever had a date, hmmm? I suggest you stop worrying so much and go out and meet some women!" laughing out loud

(Another letter about continuity problems makes him yell "I guess we just made a mistake! OKAY!?!?!?)

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Last edited by roughrider on Dec 22nd, 2008 at 08:04 PM

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2008 08:00 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

Originally posted by roughrider
That was decades worth of venom on the list - sarcasm was all that came to my mind. Wasn't 'creating Thanos' on the list as well? roll eyes (sarcastic)

My response was a paraphrase from the Red Dwarf Anniversary special, where Kryten (Robert Llewellyn) reads some fan mail aboard the ship;
one particular piece of mail is so long in it's laundry list of complaints, he finally stops and says "Ever had a date, hmmm? I suggest you stop worrying so much and go out and meet some women!" laughing out loud

(Another letter about continuity problems makes him yell "I guess we just made a mistake! OKAY!?!?!?)

Few of my qualms where actually about continuity errors, mainly about seriously bad writing. And yes Thanos is a rubbish character, who usually involved in sub standard story lines, (the exceptions being his mini, and the most recent Annihilation event where Marvel decided it was about time to kill him). Events like the "End" and Infinity Gauntlet are basically rip offs of Wolvmans Infinity crisis and most of Walter Simmons Thor run (both of which i don't particularly care for, but atleast i respect them as originals).

"Oh NO !!!! here comes another all one dimensional all powerful entity who wants to destroy the universe, because ummm ... he can ? Oh well, we'll just get everyone to team up (although most of the characters will be absolutely redundant) so can we appeal to a wider target audience".

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2008 10:26 PM
Grimm22
King of the Castle

Assuming this thread is about good story ideas that just were poorly executed I would have to say:

Bendis' run on the Mighty Avengers
-Ultron as a woman was stupid, but Ultron is awesome
-Venom attack on NY? Would make better as a Spider-man story (see Spider-Man: Web of Shadows video game)
-Doom and Iron Man back in the 80's? How did this go wrong?

Wally's return to being the flash again:
-The kids are a cool concept, but were ended up being more annoying than anything
-Especially Jai, seriously little kids with huge muscles aren't cool, they're creepy
-And instead of using any of the Flash's great villains they just made real generic new ones who nobody will ever remember or use again
-Wally not going acting like an average guy like he was when John's wrote him (No job as a mechanic? No time outside of the costume? He is acting like a regular DC Character which he isn't)
-Linda being a scientist all of a sudden?! And making her extremely boring, to boot.

Secret Invasion
-The first issue was awesome, but the rest just ended up just being a bunch of messy battle scenes with no real purpose (Essentially what Bendis does with the New Avengers)
-Essentially ending the series in the way Marvel has been ending all their crossovers over the last couple years; Really anti-climactic in order to initiate a new status quo that feels very forced, but will sell books like crazy for the first couple months, only to be dropped by most people until the innevitable crossover comes around.
-Essentially it sucks because of Bendis.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2008 11:42 PM
Grimm22 is currently offline Click here to Send Grimm22 a Private Message Find more posts by Grimm22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Epic, but poor characterisation, poor dialogue and nothing more than your cliched ; Uber cosmic character threatens to destroy universe single handily, and then stopped by poorly thought out plot device. Also most of the comic amounted to nothing more than events in history disappearing, and redundant weaker characters standing around basically making appearances for the sake of it ( atheme prominent through out the 90's). Its basically a poor, poor version of COIE. Also wasn't there an incident where they use energy beams to support a city or something ? Its only redeeming feature was when the Spectre goes nuts with Hal, something i wish we saw more of nowadays. You know the shits hit the fan, when the Spectre shows up to kick your ass.
I think a lot of throwback characters you see standing around in backround shots or major crossovers, are just to keep up copyrights.

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2008 11:56 PM
Juntai is online now! Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kris Blaze
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Grimm22
Assuming this thread is about good story ideas that just were poorly executed I would have to say:

Bendis' run on the Mighty Avengers
-Ultron as a woman was stupid, but Ultron is awesome
-Venom attack on NY? Would make better as a Spider-man story (see Spider-Man: Web of Shadows video game)
-Doom and Iron Man back in the 80's? How did this go wrong?

Wally's return to being the flash again:
-The kids are a cool concept, but were ended up being more annoying than anything
-Especially Jai, seriously little kids with huge muscles aren't cool, they're creepy
-And instead of using any of the Flash's great villains they just made real generic new ones who nobody will ever remember or use again
-Wally not going acting like an average guy like he was when John's wrote him (No job as a mechanic? No time outside of the costume? He is acting like a regular DC Character which he isn't)
-Linda being a scientist all of a sudden?! And making her extremely boring, to boot.

Did you miss Jai's comment about how he wish Wally would just abuse his powers and steal lots of money? So they wouldn't have to work?

I give you the only thing an Orange Lantern gives....Demands

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2008 11:58 PM
Kris Blaze is currently offline Click here to Send Kris Blaze a Private Message Find more posts by Kris Blaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Did you miss Jai's comment about how he wish Wally would just abuse his powers and steal lots of money? So they wouldn't have to work?
lolol.

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2008 12:04 AM
Juntai is online now! Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manjaro
No-No Place-licky McNicky

im waiting for powergirl to be like....wait a sec didnt i have a baby in Zero Hour?.....where the hell is my baby?

*SECRET NO-NO PLACE* Licking FTW Baby!!!!!!rock rock

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2008 06:45 AM
manjaro is currently offline Click here to Send manjaro a Private Message Find more posts by manjaro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Hush was awesome.

Hush Returns, on the other hand, was awful.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2008 07:45 AM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote