KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Religion using science

Religion using science
Started by: Da Pittman

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
So, is that all you going to do?

Now remember, you think I'm stupid. So, you are going to have to brake it down more.

First off: Why should I believe any part of your diagram?
this is not a high school. Everything i used in my diagram are widely acclaimed scientific facts. If you don't have the education to understand it, its time to stop debating.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 10:50 PM
Moriarty is currently offline Click here to Send Moriarty a Private Message Find more posts by Moriarty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

and i'm not calling you stupid. you might have an iq of 300 but if you don't have the education to fathom advanced mathematics, that's not your fault, its a lack of education, not intelligence.

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 10:54 PM
Moriarty is currently offline Click here to Send Moriarty a Private Message Find more posts by Moriarty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Lord Knightfa11
this is not a high school. Everything i used in my diagram are widely acclaimed scientific facts. If you don't have the education to understand it, its time to stop debating.

"widely acclaimed scientific facts" Like calling Trig, Algebra? laughing

Here is a fact for you: If you truly understand something, then you can explain it to other people, and if you cannot explain your ideas, it is because you do not understand the topic you are trying to explain.

Also, this is not your idea.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 10:56 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Religion using science

So in my last debate got me thinking of something, I tried a post search and couldn’t find it but here it is so sorry if it is a dup thread.

So most every time I get into a debate about evolution or the Bible being true historical fact comes up with the use of science to prove how old something is. Well the part that confuses me is that when the general accepted age of the Earth is 4+ billions years old which many religious people say is wrong according to the Bible and that the science and math used to come up with that age of the Earth is wrong.

However when it comes to proving that the Arc is this old, or a flood happened her or this city is this old and so on and now the math and science is perfectly good?
and to answer your question, its because we're right.

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 10:56 PM
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

"widely acclaimed scientific facts" Like calling Trig, Algebra? laughing

Here is a fact for you: If you truly understand something, then you can explain it to other people, and if you cannot explain your ideas, it is because you do not understand the topic you are trying to explain.

Also, this is not your idea.
what, the diagram? i most assuredly affirm that it is.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 10:57 PM
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

1. its hosted by my photobucket account
2. It was done by me in mspaint.
3. I can send you photos of my paper worked out version.

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 10:59 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

1. its hosted by my photobucket account
2. It was done by me in mspaint.
3. I can send you photos of my paper worked out version.

Post away...

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 11:17 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

in a bit, i g2g.

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 11:25 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

in a bit, i g2g.

Then, just link to your publication in a scientific journal.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 11:32 PM
Dark Riddick
Restricted

Account Restricted

easiest way is to go to a scientific discussion board and post his question then get an answer and paste it here. :P

its what i do sometimes do to sound smart,,,, laughing geek cool

if it seems they are talking down to you dont take it personal its not you who is asking the question/statement..

Attachment: 250px-deadpoolyellowboxes.jpg
This has been downloaded 56 time(s).

Last edited by Dark Riddick on Jan 9th, 2009 at 11:42 PM

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 11:35 PM
Dark Riddick is currently offline Click here to Send Dark Riddick a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Riddick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Wild Shadow
easiest way is to go to a scientific discussion board and post his question then get an answer and paste it here. :P

its what i do sometimes to sound smart,,,, laughing geek cool

Please do it. big grin

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 11:38 PM
Dark Riddick
Restricted

Account Restricted

Attachment: 250px-deadpoolyellowboxes.jpg
This has been downloaded 51 time(s).

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 11:46 PM
Dark Riddick is currently offline Click here to Send Dark Riddick a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Riddick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

i dont wanna .. you do it

http://www.thescienceforum.com/Astr...gy-forum-8f.php

It was not my idea. stick out tongue

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 11:51 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

If you truly understand something, then you can explain it to other people, and if you cannot explain your ideas, it is because you do not understand the topic you are trying to explain.

thumb up

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 11:54 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark Riddick
Restricted

Account Restricted

if i go their and ask the question i'll look stupid.. :P

i have an image to uphold in that community of like minded intellectuals.
they are liable to kick me out and proclaim me the village idiot..
surely someone of my stature cannot be allowed to be viewed in such a manner. i am sure you can understand perhaps with you having nothing to risk can enter said site with your dignity intact.

i like boobs :P

Attachment: ax1.jpg
This has been downloaded 51 time(s).

Old Post Jan 9th, 2009 11:58 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Re: Religion using science

Originally posted by Da Pittman
So in my last debate got me thinking of something, I tried a post search and couldn’t find it but here it is so sorry if it is a dup thread.

So most every time I get into a debate about evolution or the Bible being true historical fact comes up with the use of science to prove how old something is. Well the part that confuses me is that when the general accepted age of the Earth is 4+ billions years old which many religious people say is wrong according to the Bible and that the science and math used to come up with that age of the Earth is wrong.

However when it comes to proving that the Arc is this old, or a flood happened her or this city is this old and so on and now the math and science is perfectly good?

Very simple. People like things that make them look right and dislike things that make them look wrong.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2009 12:07 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Re: Re: Religion using science

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Very simple. People like things that make them look right and dislike things that make them look wrong.

Pretty much. Most religions are happy to trumpet their acceptance of scientific findings, up until the point where it starts to seriously challenge their beliefs. Currently in vogue is the practice of finding vague overlaps between religious texts and, say, astrophysics. This is selective interpretation, post-diction, confirmation bias, and probably some other logical fallacies I'm forgetting. Like any good pattern-seeking species, we can find all sorts of "connections" when we look for them. Doesn't mean that they are valid, especially when we must ignore so much that is contrary to our current knowledge in order to find occasional similarities.

Strictly speaking, though, empirical tests cannot comment on the transempirical: that is, they can't say anything about the supernatural (i.e. God, the idea of a soul, etc.). Scientific studies can, however, support, refute, or call into question religious claims of supernatural forces affecting material reality. This includes a wide array of religious and/or paranormal claims, and is what, unfortunately, creates the societal divide between the two camps in many cases.

As to the specific stories mentioned in the opening post like the Arc, flood, and so forth, those are obvious myths. They are pursued as scientific facts only by fringe groups who take a much more literalist approach to all portions of the Bible, not just the New Testament.

Last edited by Digi on Jan 10th, 2009 at 06:41 AM

Old Post Jan 10th, 2009 06:35 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

so, religion isn't "using science"

for instance, what is a tested hypothesis about religion that these people have produced, what is an experimental paradigm? etc.

It is the same as anyone. You hear things and you interpret it through the way you understand reality. Religious people are more than willing to accept some and disregard other scientific fact specifically because they are not actively involved in science. It is merely some tidbit of information they picked up that appears to have the credibility of the lab coat. They believe it because it conforms to what they already believe, not because of scientific methodology, which makes them just as willing to disregard as accurate and robust findings in other fields.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2009 06:27 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

if i go their and ask the question i'll look stupid.. :P

i have an image to uphold in that community of like minded intellectuals.
they are liable to kick me out and proclaim me the village idiot..
surely someone of my stature cannot be allowed to be viewed in such a manner. i am sure you can understand perhaps with you having nothing to risk can enter said site with your dignity intact.

i like boobs :P

Come on... all you have to say is "I'm trying to get information to b*tch slap someone who's argument goes as follows... ...can anyone help me out?"

Old Post Jan 10th, 2009 08:56 PM
AngryManatee
Sexy Ham Manwich

If you truly understand something, then you can explain it to other people, and if you cannot explain your ideas, it is because you do not understand the topic you are trying to explain.

Cosigned

(please log in to view the image)

You don't need good rear vision because you're always in front!

Last edited by AngryManatee on Jan 10th, 2009 at 11:32 PM

Old Post Jan 10th, 2009 11:29 PM
AngryManatee is currently offline Click here to Send AngryManatee a Private Message Find more posts by AngryManatee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote