KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Best era of music?

What is, in your opinion, the best era of music?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
1600 - 1900 2 4.35%
1900 - 1940 0 0%
1940-1950 0 0%
1950-1960 2 4.35%
1960-1970 10 21.74%
1970-1980 6 13.04%
1980-1990 13 28.26%
1990-2000 6 13.04%
2000-2010 3 6.52%
Other 4 8.70%
Total: 46 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Best era of music?
Started by: Operation kmc

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Admiral Akbar

best era of music would have to be classical. Even to this day it's still being played 400 years since its birth. Pop music and the rest are infantile compared to it.

Not to mention that bach, mozart, and the rest were geniuses in the music department, not just with playing a piano, or composing music, but how they were able to create truly original pieces of music way ahead of their time and some of which people considered radical. They were true visionaries.

Also, something about an orchestra of instruments in harmony with one another makes it more appealing than a clattering of drums and an electric guitar with a simple repetitive motif drowned out by some dude screaming into a microphone.

When the darkness comes, keep an eye on the light no matter how far away it seems.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2010 07:19 AM
Admiral Akbar is currently offline Click here to Send Admiral Akbar a Private Message Find more posts by Admiral Akbar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
maham

today is probably the best era for music. ANYONE can make a song and post it out to people all around the world(Even if they're not that good). LOL! Never was there this much freedom.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2010 12:09 PM
maham is currently offline Click here to Send maham a Private Message Find more posts by maham Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slay
Skyhighatrist

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Stoic
You're likely right, but do you listen to those guys on a normal basis, or would you prefer to listen to Metallica, or something more modern? I'm not well versed on classical music, so that genre is beyond me.

I definitely don't listen to classical music more than I listen to pop music, but I've had classical education for piano for years and I do listen to classical music a lot.

Also, @ Spooony, You took what I said completely wrong. I never said anything about classical music being better than pop music because it's 'classical'. I never even said that classical music is better than pop music. All I said was that it was ignorant to act as if nothing had happened in music between the years of 1600 and 1900, and that the OP might as well have called the thread ''The best era in pop music''.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2010 02:57 PM
Slay is currently offline Click here to Send Slay a Private Message Find more posts by Slay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Originally posted by Slay
I definitely don't listen to classical music more than I listen to pop music, but I've had classical education for piano for years and I do listen to classical music a lot.

Also, @ Spooony, You took what I said completely wrong. I never said anything about classical music being better than pop music because it's 'classical'. I never even said that classical music is better than pop music. All I said was that it was ignorant to act as if nothing had happened in music between the years of 1600 and 1900, and that the OP might as well have called the thread ''The best era in pop music''.

Thanks for your clarification. I get ruffled when people don't consider my 60's as the best era ever. stick out tongue

Old Post Nov 16th, 2010 06:22 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

The 2000's. G-Unit > All

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Nov 17th, 2010 09:03 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

Originally posted by BobbyD
Thanks for your clarification. I get ruffled when people don't consider my 60's as the best era ever. stick out tongue

The 60's was fleshed out by the 70's, the 80's synthesized the 70's, the 90's combined all three into one bad-ass sound, and 2000-2010 ignored the lessons of the past, and got lost in the shuffle. Just my impression of the past 50 years in music.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2010 06:50 AM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Originally posted by Stoic
The 60's was fleshed out by the 70's, the 80's synthesized the 70's, the 90's combined all three into one bad-ass sound, and 2000-2010 ignored the lessons of the past, and got lost in the shuffle. Just my impression of the past 50 years in music.

Hmm, interesting.

..."fleshed" out...?

Old Post Nov 19th, 2010 01:54 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rhovanion
Queen of Pentacles

Nothing beats some good old '80s cheese in my opinion! smile

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2011 02:01 AM
Rhovanion is currently offline Click here to Send Rhovanion a Private Message Find more posts by Rhovanion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
red g jacks
Restricted

Account Restricted

im primarily a rap fan so... 90's ny is where the **** its @

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2011 07:31 AM
red g jacks is currently offline Click here to Send red g jacks a Private Message Find more posts by red g jacks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
hophip27

Barf

laughing laughing i like 80s music very much... most of the different variety in that music... laughing laughing

Old Post Mar 17th, 2011 09:51 AM
hophip27 is currently offline Click here to Send hophip27 a Private Message Find more posts by hophip27 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Piggott
Sith Acolyte

My vote was 1980-1990, but I think the golden age for me was 1950 to 2000. I love most music in that timeframe.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2011 03:23 PM
Darth Piggott is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Piggott a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Piggott Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Admiral Akbar

The main problem with modern music is that it is made with entertainment in mind first and foremost as opposed to making a true piece of art. If we define music as art we must see which era best encompasses that definition.

When the darkness comes, keep an eye on the light no matter how far away it seems.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2011 04:46 PM
Admiral Akbar is currently offline Click here to Send Admiral Akbar a Private Message Find more posts by Admiral Akbar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chipper7777

60s The Beatles, Elvis, among many others.

music is what we know it today because they were

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 06:28 AM
chipper7777 is currently offline Click here to Send chipper7777 a Private Message Find more posts by chipper7777 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MrMind

80s and 90s for me

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 09:07 PM
MrMind is currently offline Click here to Send MrMind a Private Message Find more posts by MrMind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

All I can say is I doubt any of the "Top 100" tracks from the last 20 years will have the legs to compete with the music of the last century. The majority of music created since the mid 90s has either been a sad foot note in music history, or completely over looked by the general population.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Apr 7th, 2011 05:33 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
or completely over looked by the general population.

Sadly, such is the case with a lot of good art.

As for the thread, I'm not sure a "best era" in music even exists.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2011 06:59 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
hophip27

Hip Hop Music

90's was d best for me and i found such music on brainstormlive.com

Old Post Apr 8th, 2011 11:02 AM
hophip27 is currently offline Click here to Send hophip27 a Private Message Find more posts by hophip27 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CanYouRead2

Miffed REALLY???

mad
come on... most everyone is naming DECADES of the CURRENT ERA (duh)... there is the MEDIEVAL ERA, RENAISSANCE ERA, CLASSICAL ERA, ROMANTIC ERA, IMPRESSIONIST ERA, and of course the current era.... the 20th Century...

smokin'
and one guy had it right when he named Antonin Dvorak from the Czech Republic in the ROMANTIC ERA... KUDOS DUDE!!! Happy Dance

Old Post Nov 8th, 2012 08:34 AM
CanYouRead2 is currently offline Click here to Send CanYouRead2 a Private Message Find more posts by CanYouRead2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

Originally posted by Rhovanion
Nothing beats some good old '80s cheese in my opinion! smile

thumb up

Old Post Nov 8th, 2012 01:32 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jim Colyer
Restricted

Account Restricted

It is hard to say what the best era is because every era has at least some good music.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2012 01:37 AM
Jim Colyer is currently offline Click here to Send Jim Colyer a Private Message Find more posts by Jim Colyer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote