KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Death

Death
Started by: Daemon Seed

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Digi
Forum Leader

Nothing else is required for the universe to have been created from nothing. Quantum fluctuations need no God. We've proven this. You're clinging to an idea of a prior cause for this when none is needed, and as a result shoehorning your religion into a place it doesn't belong.

Because the article does indeed form a very plausible method by which the entire universe came into being. And none of it requires a Creator entity. That you don't see it makes it no less true.

Clearly that's where this discussion ends for the two of us. We can only work on common ground for so long before the fundamental differences prove insurmountable to productive conversation.

Last edited by Digi on May 8th, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Old Post May 8th, 2011 10:35 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TacDavey

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
Nothing else is required for the universe to have been created from nothing. Quantum fluctuations need no God. We've proven this. You're clinging to an idea of a prior cause for this when none is needed, and as a result shoehorning your religion into a place it doesn't belong.

Because the article does indeed form a very plausible method by which the entire universe came into being. And none of it requires a Creator entity. That you don't see it makes it no less true.

Clearly that's where this discussion ends for the two of us. We can only work on common ground for so long before the fundamental differences prove insurmountable to productive conversation.

I'm sorry, Digi, but my argument explains clearly why a creator is required. That you don't see it makes it no less true.

I hate to have to repeat myself, but the part of the argument I'm talking about is:

p1: Either the universe was caused by God or Not God
p2: The universe cannot be created by the "Not God" option
c: The universe was created by God.

As for Premise 2, we can see this by the following:

The "Not God" option really means an eternal set of necessary and sufficient conditions for the creation of a universe. That basically means every other option in existence that isn't God. Including any and all options presented in the article you sent me.

Now, the reason it cannot be the "Not God" option, is because that set of necessary and sufficient conditions for the creation of a universe had to be eternal. That means having no beginning and no end. They had to be this way, because time itself began at the Big Bang, thus whatever caused the Big Bang had to be outside of time. That is, eternal.

But since the conditions were eternal, we come into a direct contradiction when we factor in the fact that since the universe began to exist, that demands that there be a point causally prior to it's existence in which it did not exist.

But that would mean that there was a point causally prior to the universes existence in which the necessary and sufficient conditions for the universe existed, but the universe did not. Which is logically impossible, as once all the necessary and sufficient conditions are met, the event will always take place no matter what.

So it cannot be the "Not God" option, as that produces a logical contradiction. Thus, what we are left with is the "God" option.

Old Post May 9th, 2011 01:36 AM
TacDavey is currently offline Click here to Send TacDavey a Private Message Find more posts by TacDavey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Even if you're right (which is unlikely, but for the sake of the argument), your premise is logically flawed because you're assuming that there needs to be an eternal beginning. You're presupposing what you haven't proven. because in saying something like this:

Originally posted by TacDavey
But since the conditions were eternal...

...you're asserting something as fact that you can neither prove nor provide evidence for. You're simply assuming the premise, then fitting an answer to it that suits your purpose. In this case it's "it had to be God." There's an official term for that logical fallacy, but it escapes my atm.

Last edited by Digi on May 10th, 2011 at 02:15 AM

Old Post May 10th, 2011 02:12 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

But that would mean that there was a point causally prior to the universes existence in which the necessary and sufficient conditions for the universe existed, but the universe did not. Which is logically impossible, as once all the necessary and sufficient conditions are met, the event will always take place no matter what.

And based on what do you derive that conclusion? I already mentioned cases where when the necessary conditions are met, something still only happens part of the time. And your response was basically to change your definition not to include those (making your definition of "conditions" a bit strange since it no longer has any relation to physical properties).

Old Post May 10th, 2011 04:46 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TacDavey

Even if you're right (which is unlikely, but for the sake of the argument), your premise is logically flawed because you're assuming that there needs to be an eternal beginning. You're presupposing what you haven't proven. because in saying something like this:

...you're asserting something as fact that you can neither prove nor provide evidence for. You're simply assuming the premise, then fitting an answer to it that suits your purpose. In this case it's "it had to be God." There's an official term for that logical fallacy, but it escapes my atm.

No, I explained the logical reasons why what created the universe had to be eternal.

If time came into beginning at the Big Bang, then whatever caused the universe had to be outside of time. That's eternal. I said that already.

Originally posted by King Kandy
And based on what do you derive that conclusion? I already mentioned cases where when the necessary conditions are met, something still only happens part of the time. And your response was basically to change your definition not to include those (making your definition of "conditions" a bit strange since it no longer has any relation to physical properties).

No, I tried to better define what necessary and sufficient conditions are, as you seem to be mistaking what they mean. You are only relating them to the physical components necessary for an event to take place, but that is not what "necessary and sufficient conditions" means. It means literally every single possible thing, physical or otherwise, that needs to take place for something to occur. You gave the example of things that have the same PHYSICAL conditions that sometimes do not take place because the probability can sometimes swing the other way. But you seem to not understand that that means the necessary and sufficient conditions HAVE NOT BEEN MET.

If something has a 99% chance of happening then the "necessary and sufficient conditions" for the event to happen INCLUDE that 99% chance swinging in it's favor. That's one of the conditions that has to be met in order for the event to take place.

If the necessary and sufficient conditions for something are met they will ALWAYS take place. If it doesn't, the conditions have not been met.

Old Post May 10th, 2011 04:14 PM
TacDavey is currently offline Click here to Send TacDavey a Private Message Find more posts by TacDavey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

If time came into beginning at the Big Bang, then whatever caused the universe had to be outside of time.

I'm trying and unfortunately failing to find a new way to explain this to you: the quoted statement here is presupposing something you can't possibly know. Your logic becomes circular when you're saying "I believe that a creator exists outside of time because there needs to be something outside of time." Do you see the fallacy here?

...nevermind that there doesn't need to be something eternal, as the studies show. We go from literally nothing to something, with no other influence needed outside of what we know of quantum mechanics. I'm convinced you're just refusing to believe that at this point, or interpreting it in such a way that would make any quantum physicist laugh.

Last edited by Digi on May 10th, 2011 at 05:45 PM

Old Post May 10th, 2011 05:42 PM
TacDavey

I'm trying and unfortunately failing to find a new way to explain this to you: the quoted statement here is presupposing something you can't possibly know. Your logic becomes circular when you're saying "I believe that a creator exists outside of time because there needs to be something outside of time." Do you see the fallacy here?

There is absolutely NOTHING circular about that. Neither of those points requires the other to support it. Logically layed out it would look something like this:

p1: The creator of time cannot be inside of time
p2: The cause of the universe created time
c: The cause of the universe cannot be inside of time.

I don't know where you got the idea that this argument is circular, but unfortunately you are mistaken. Even the example you gave isn't circular. It seems you are mistaken as to what a circular argument is.

...nevermind that there doesn't need to be something eternal, as the studies show. We go from literally nothing to something, with no other influence needed outside of what we know of quantum mechanics. I'm convinced you're just refusing to believe that at this point, or interpreting it in such a way that would make any quantum physicist laugh.

Incorrect. There does need to be something. A cause. Everything that begins to exist has a cause. You yourself agreed with this in past posts. And whatever that "cause" was had to be eternal. For the reasons above.

Old Post May 10th, 2011 09:20 PM
King Kandy

If the necessary and sufficient conditions for something are met they will ALWAYS take place. If it doesn't, the conditions have not been met.

That's circular logic; how is that statement falsifiable?

Old Post May 12th, 2011 05:03 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TacDavey

That's circular logic; how is that statement falsifiable?

What? It isn't an argument, it's a definition. That's what "necessary and sufficient conditions" means.

Old Post May 12th, 2011 06:58 AM
King Kandy

What? It isn't an argument, it's a definition. That's what "necessary and sufficient conditions" means.

But you've never shown that the universe actually works on that definition. You're saying there's this kind of existential property of flipping one way or another; I don't think that such conditions actually exist in this universe.

Old Post May 13th, 2011 12:18 AM
TacDavey

But you've never shown that the universe actually works on that definition. You're saying there's this kind of existential property of flipping one way or another; I don't think that such conditions actually exist in this universe.

What? of course they exist. What do you mean?

If a muon, or whatever it was, has a 99% chance of being created, then obviously one of the things that HAS to happen for it to be created is the probability to flip on the side of the 99% chance, right? So that's one of the conditions that must to be met in order for a muon to be created. I'm confused as to what problem you have with this...

Old Post May 13th, 2011 12:28 AM
King Kandy

What? of course they exist. What do you mean?

If a muon, or whatever it was, has a 99% chance of being created, then obviously one of the things that HAS to happen for it to be created is the probability to flip on the side of the 99% chance, right? So that's one of the conditions that must to be met in order for a muon to be created. I'm confused as to what problem you have with this...

No, I disagree. This is not a coin, there is no "process of flipping". It is simply one thing and then it is another, which statistically happens x amount of the time. There is nothing that actually makes it choose one or another.

Old Post May 13th, 2011 12:34 AM
TacDavey

No, I disagree. This is not a coin, there is no "process of flipping". It is simply one thing and then it is another, which statistically happens x amount of the time. There is nothing that actually makes it choose one or another.

I never said there was. But you DO agree that in order for a muon to form, the probability must come up on the 99% chance side of things?

EDIT: I think you're trying to think of the condition as a physical thing. Which is not correct. Conditions don't have to be physical things.

Old Post May 13th, 2011 01:21 AM
King Kandy

I never said there was. But you DO agree that in order for a muon to form, the probability must come up on the 99% chance side of things?

EDIT: I think you're trying to think of the condition as a physical thing. Which is not correct. Conditions don't have to be physical things.

No, I disagree. I don't think there is anything to "come up".

Well, a condition does have to be something in some way knowable, or else you can't know if it really exists. You can't tell me what "thing" is necessary for a muon, other than "the thing that makes the muon form". which is highly circular and really proves nothing.

Old Post May 13th, 2011 01:40 AM
TacDavey

No, I disagree. I don't think there is anything to "come up".

Well, a condition does have to be something in some way knowable, or else you can't know if it really exists. You can't tell me what "thing" is necessary for a muon, other than "the thing that makes the muon form". which is highly circular and really proves nothing.

King Kandy, you are making this harder than it really is. Like I said, you seem to stuck on the physical aspect of it. There is no "thing" that switches from 99% to 1% or back. You seem to think that's what I'm saying, and I'm not.

If a person says you can have this money as long as you take this package to a friend, isn't one of the conditions for you to be given the money the delivery of the package? Now, there is no "package delivered" object that is placed in the equation once you do the job. But the delivery of the object is still a condition that is required in order for you to be given the money, right?

Old Post May 13th, 2011 03:08 PM
King Kandy

There is a "package delivered" object. You physically had to go through the package delivery process. If I had the package, and then it suddenly disappeared and my friend had it, I think that would hardly be attributable to something I did.

Old Post May 13th, 2011 09:45 PM
tsilamini

"you are making this harder than it really is" is quickly becoming one of my favorite phrases on this forum

Last edited by tsilamini on May 13th, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Old Post May 13th, 2011 10:40 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Usually only uttered by people who are trying to prove issues debated for millenia, in online quip format.

Old Post May 13th, 2011 11:09 PM
tsilamini

quantum physics = solved, and in under 25 words!

Old Post May 13th, 2011 11:21 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TacDavey

There is a "package delivered" object. You physically had to go through the package delivery process. If I had the package, and then it suddenly disappeared and my friend had it, I think that would hardly be attributable to something I did.

What? That made no sense... What is this "package delivered" object? What color is it? What does it look like?

EDIT: YOU are a physical object. THE PACKAGE is a physical object. But there is no "package delivered" object. That is an ACTION. Not an OBJECT. Yet, it is still a necessary condition for you to get them money.

Usually only uttered by people who are trying to prove issues debated for millenia, in online quip format.

The definition of "necessary and sufficient conditions" is not something that has been debated for a millenia.

Last edited by TacDavey on May 14th, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Old Post May 13th, 2011 11:48 PM