KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » The Phantom Menace 3D

The Phantom Menace 3D
Started by: S_D_J

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
queeq
Chaos

That;s a weird trailer, but certainly not the official grown up version. That's out there as well.

But this quite infantile.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2012 10:03 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

quote: (post)
Originally posted by darthmaul1
here is a trailer i found on joblo
don't know if it's real, but it's a pretty crappy trailer, geared towards 4 year olds and should be played on the disney channel
http://www.joblo.com/video/player.p...e_Awful_trailer

Dear God that was awful.

So a lot of you were ripping on the movie, but I bet most will go and see it.

I might not be able to (and I really want to) cuz I'm going away for work. Hopefully I won't be leaving until Friday at the ealiest, so I can go see it on Thursday. no expression

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Feb 4th, 2012 04:06 PM
Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

Originally posted by S_D_J
Dear God that was awful.

So a lot of you were ripping on the movie, but I bet most will go and see it.

I might not be able to (and I really want to) cuz I'm going away for work. Hopefully I won't be leaving until Friday at the ealiest, so I can go see it on Thursday. no expression

I agree some of the people who rip on it will still go see it but for me I'm not going to see it because it's in 3d I'm going to see it on the big screen again. And take my nieces who never saw it on the big screen.
I enjoyed ep1 and it's my 2nd favorite just because of darth maul and the kick ass saber battle.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2012 05:51 PM
Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I'm taking my kids too, they've never seen SW on the big screen.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2012 03:45 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

I just saw the running time listed for this as 2 hours 17 minutes. How much longer is that than the original running time? The DVD was a couple of minutes longer, due to Lucas re-inserting a scene showing more of Coruscant seen through young Anakin's eyes, and a little more of the pod race.
Maybe other deleted scenes, like Anakin's fight with a young Greedo, got back in? That was a sequence Lucas & McCallum cut with some reluctance (though they shouldn't have; Star Wars could be 3 hours and people would love it, but Lucas doesn't believe a running time needs to be that long.)

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Feb 7th, 2012 09:01 PM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

Originally posted by roughrider
I just saw the running time listed for this as 2 hours 17 minutes. How much longer is that than the original running time? The DVD was a couple of minutes longer, due to Lucas re-inserting a scene showing more of Coruscant seen through young Anakin's eyes, and a little more of the pod race.
Maybe other deleted scenes, like Anakin's fight with a young Greedo, got back in? That was a sequence Lucas & McCallum cut with some reluctance (though they shouldn't have; Star Wars could be 3 hours and people would love it, but Lucas doesn't believe a running time needs to be that long.)

as far as I know it has the same running time. I don't know if the taxi scene is in it (it must be) but haven't heard anything about (and I honestly don't think there are any) new scenes added.

It opens today at 9.30pm down here. I won't be able to go cuz I got some classes I rather not miss, but I will see it Thursday morning. So far, haven't heard a confirmation date for my trip, so I'm able to see it at least once... I still like the movie (better than AOTC me thinks)

I read online the 3D is subtle but well done, hope that's true erm

I should be a (small) joy to watch the opening scroll in 3D big grin

Old Post Feb 8th, 2012 06:37 AM
Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
C-3POTheClever

Re: The Phantom Menace 3D

I don't know if there's a thread for this yet, if so please merge or lock

Phantom Menace 3D Poster Revealed
Darth Maul takes center stage.

The good news (at least to me) is that it'll also be released in 2D big grin

But if your not going to see it in 3D, what's the point in going to see it?

Old Post Feb 8th, 2012 02:13 PM
Click here to Send C-3POTheClever a Private Message Find more posts by C-3POTheClever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Good point.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2012 03:01 PM
S_D_J
Bane

I'm gonna see it in 3D tomorrow, but I really don't care about it.

What's the point? seeing it in the big screen once more, preferably in digital 2D. No matter how comfortable or readily available dvds/brs are, nothing compares to watching a movie with a whole bunch of fans in a theater

Old Post Feb 8th, 2012 05:04 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

Re: Re: The Phantom Menace 3D

Originally posted by C-3POTheClever
But if your not going to see it in 3D, what's the point in going to see it?

I think that is the whole point. Though digitally projected in 2D would be nothing to sneeze at.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Feb 8th, 2012 08:53 PM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

Re: Re: Re: The Phantom Menace 3D

Originally posted by roughrider
I think that is the whole point. Though digitally projected in 2D would be nothing to sneeze at.

I would prefer to see any other movie in 2D, i didn't see any last year in 3D i went to the 2D versions. picture is better.

But i've seen this so many times in 2D i will be able to pick out what actually pops out at the screen at me.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2012 10:24 PM
Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

You think? wink

Old Post Feb 9th, 2012 01:47 PM
S_D_J
Bane

Saw it this afternoon.

I must say I'm impressed with the conversion, but it was totally unnecessary (shock!). It's subtle, it barely pops, there were a handful of shots that had zero 3D, but most of the movie has some kind of 3D effect to it.

This is not a boring, 3 layer, flat diorama á la Thor, or has a weird red and blue glow around objects like Captain America. The 3D is layered enough to stand out in some scenes, there's a couple of round objects, glass stands out and some reflective surfaces look great (like good 3D movies), the holograms look mostly tri-dimensional, but besides that, the movie looks sharp with some depth in some scenes.

Stand outs are the Opening Scroll big grin, the pod race (one of the few "pops out" shot is the one when Anakin tries to reattach the loose hose with the magnetic stick) the entire battle above Naboo, most of the Duel of Fates fight and the celebration scene at the end. oh and the scene wipes, they look great as scenes transition into others with different depths.

Comparing it to other 2D to 3D conversion, this one is spectacular. Comparing it to Avatar, it barely warrants a mention. If LFL releases the other movies, I hope they work some more on depth, but as it is, is a pretty decent job.

Now the movie is still TPM so most of you will still hate it. I was satisfied smile

It runs just as long as the BR version, it has the taxi sequence in it and digital Yoda looks great (people around me who weren't aware of the change were commenting on it, they sounded pleased as well). I didn't stay for the credits but to me I think they were new, gonna check the BR later to be sure, if any discrepancy in runtime arises it must be because of that.

Gonna go see it again this weekend with the Ms, hopefully.

Last edited by S_D_J on Feb 10th, 2012 at 03:45 AM

Old Post Feb 10th, 2012 03:43 AM
queeq
Chaos

Good review. Thanks.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2012 02:27 PM
S_D_J
Bane

nobody's been to see it yet?

I feel it would not make as much money as it's supposed to

Old Post Feb 11th, 2012 05:06 PM
darthmaul1

nobody's been to see it yet?

I feel it would not make as much money as it's supposed to

I saw it yesterday with my 2 nieces who never saw it on the big screen. We all loved it, but I will say the 3d didn't really pop out at me I was really expecting to be ducking during the pod race, but I wasn't. There were only about 3 instances where I really noticed something coming out of the screen. But I will say it did give the cgi characters more depth especially watto. And I will also say this even though the movie is 13 years old those cgi characters still look better than avatar! IMO

Old Post Feb 11th, 2012 06:04 PM
ares834

That's because lots of the CGI characters have been enhanced. If you watch the original film Jar Jar looks terrible.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2012 07:57 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

Originally posted by ares834
That's because lots of the CGI characters have been enhanced. If you watch the original film Jar Jar looks terrible.

I don't know if they were actually enhanced, I did thought so too, but then being in 3D makes everything darker, helping the CGI tremendously, but dimming the overall picture.
I took my glasses off when QGJ meets Jar Jar, and he still looked terrible (with the added brightness). In close up characters do look good, but wider shots make them stand out sorely just like it does on the Bluray version.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2012 10:24 PM
REXXXX
Networking

Definitely was a fan of the CGI Yoda replacement, to be honest. The original puppet was creepy, and now it fits a little better with the other prequels.

Though they better not do it to the OT...

Old Post Feb 12th, 2012 05:31 PM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

Originally posted by REXXXX
Definitely was a fan of the CGI Yoda replacement, to be honest. The original puppet was creepy, and now it fits a little better with the other prequels.

Though they better not do it to the OT...

Agreed that would be one change I would not get behind!

Old Post Feb 12th, 2012 06:20 PM