KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
Started by: Phanteros

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (20): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tzeentch
#gottem

Kratos isn't even better than average. He's just average.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Apr 29th, 2012 06:38 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

I consider him more of a well-constructed homage and something of a modern deconstruction of the Greek concept of a hero, flawed, with overwhelming strength allowing him to do what he wants, which he suffers for (He deserves a lot of it mind you, which is part of the point, Kratos's biggest flaw is his inability to take responsibility for his own actions).

quote: (post)
Originally posted by JayDaDon
In games I'd say it's completely one way or the other. Some of the best games created don't have much story going for them. It's not something you absolutely need to have to make a great game or character. Saying who is a better character is so subjective anyway. Are we saying who is deeper, more interesting, more flawed, more successful? It's too general.
And yet some of the most lauded games of all time are incredibly story-heavy, like Planescape: Torment.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2012 06:42 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by NemeBro
I consider him more of a well-constructed homage and something of a modern deconstruction of the Greek concept
You seem to see that in quite a few characters. Do you think that maybe you just have some kind of pseudo-intellectual hard-on for Greek story telling mechanics?

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Apr 29th, 2012 06:45 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

I assume you are referring to Magnus the Red, and the Primarchs in general?

The Horus Heresy is meant to be a Homeric story of flawed demigods waging war, lol.

That said, yes. Yes I do.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2012 06:48 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Honestly, there's a time and place for that type of character. A party type game with a setup similar to smash bros certainly isn't it. If they put the protagonist from heavy rain in smash, i aint picking him, even if he has the most depth and best story. Gameplay is the most important thing in my books when it comes to games. Frankly I think Character depth and emotional storylines are overrated. Like damn, I'll watch a movie or read a book if I want that. Bottom line, these characters in smash are here and still talked about for a reason. In video game character design, a deep emotional story is just one aspect that can be added to enrich a character, but a game like metroid proves that you really don't need that to make a great, iconic character and game. Like I said, these characters have staying power that fat princess can't even dream of.

I don't want one or the other. I'm an adult now, I want an engaging story, and characters and fun game play. Heavy Rain and Mario are two opposite ends of the spectrum... both ends are awful and I don't want either of those extremes. If I wanted a nothing story with no plot or character development, I would play a 99 cent Iphone game. The original Metroid and Mario games are a product of limitations of the hardware that the were built on... limitations that no longer exist. Games can have engaging stories, and character development now... and in my mind there is no reason not to. I want to have some emotional investment with the games I'm playing. I care more about Drake, Kratos, Cole, and Sly (and Alan Wake and Marcus Phoenix on the Microsoft front) then I ever have any of the Nintendo stable of intellectual properties (I think that word is more apt then the term character for Nintedo's mascots), which in the long run means I will find this game far more enjoyable than Smash Bros.

Fat Princes inclusion is the equivalent of the Ice Climbers in Brawl... not sure why everyone is focusing on that. She isn't supposed to be a huge draw.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Apr 29th, 2012 08:15 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Interestingly enough I feel Heavy Rain and Super Mario Galaxy are two of the best games of the gen. On a different note, I feel Nintendo is doing a pretty good job giving Link in the more recent iterations of Zelda specifically for a silent protaganist. Sure, it's not up to the scope of Nathan Drake but it is decent development. I also find that the Fire Emblem characters are quite good.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2012 08:30 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruhMan
World Champion

And yet some of the most lauded games of all time are incredibly story-heavy, like Planescape: Torment.

Never said they weren't. I do appreciate story and deep characters. That's one reason I love the final fantasy franchise. But in a game like smash bros I don't think its necessary to rank a character's worth based on things like that. Its better to think of who you will be better suited to, who you want to be when you hand your friends ass to them in a match, or who will have the best attacks.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2012 01:14 AM
BruhMan is currently offline Click here to Send BruhMan a Private Message Find more posts by BruhMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Its better to think of who you will be better suited to, who you want to be when you hand your friends ass to them in a match, or who will have the best attacks.

So you do like Fat Princess! evil face

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Apr 30th, 2012 01:29 AM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

So with both Nintendo and Sony having fighting games with characters exclusive to their respective consoles beating eachother up, who wants to bet that Microsoft will soon rise to the challenge and make their own Smash Bros.-styled beat-em-up as well with characters like Master Chief, Marcus Fenix, and Raz from Psychonauts?

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2012 01:34 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Eh. I think Microsoft would be hard pressed getting enough exlusive characters.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2012 01:53 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by ares834

It would just end up being four different coloured Master Chiefs and a car from Forza.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2012 02:38 AM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Originally posted by ares834

Master Chief (Halo)
Marcus Fenix (Gears of War)
Raz (Psychonauts)
Gunstringer (The Gunstringer)
Alan Wake (Alan Wake)
Alicia (Bullet Witch)
The Agent (Crackdown)
Hero of Oakvale (Fable)
Furious Ming (Jade Empire)
Kameo (Kameo: Elements of Power)
Kaim Argonar (Lost Odyssey)
'Splosion Man ('Splosion Man)
Captain Smiley (Comic Jumper)
Ernst (Rise of Nightmares)
Cooper Chance (Grabbed by the Ghoulies)
Munch (Oddworld)
Stranger (Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath)
Blinx (Blinx the Time Sweeper)

Etc.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Apr 30th, 2012 at 03:07 AM

Old Post Apr 30th, 2012 03:04 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FinalAnswer
Flower

Originally posted by Nemesis X
Raz (Psychonauts)
Munch (Oddworld)

These games are available on Playstation so lol.

Howdy!

Old Post Apr 30th, 2012 03:11 AM
FinalAnswer is currently offline Click here to Send FinalAnswer a Private Message Find more posts by FinalAnswer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Originally posted by FinalAnswer
These games are available on Playstation so lol.

They used to say they were only on Xbox. So I'm late. Sue me no expression

Old Post Apr 30th, 2012 03:29 AM
ares834

Originally posted by Nemesis X
Master Chief (Halo)
Marcus Fenix (Gears of War)
Raz (Psychonauts)
Gunstringer (The Gunstringer)
Alan Wake (Alan Wake)
Alicia (Bullet Witch)
The Agent (Crackdown)
Hero of Oakvale (Fable)
Furious Ming (Jade Empire)
Kameo (Kameo: Elements of Power)
Kaim Argonar (Lost Odyssey)
'Splosion Man ('Splosion Man)
Captain Smiley (Comic Jumper)
Ernst (Rise of Nightmares)
Cooper Chance (Grabbed by the Ghoulies)
Munch (Oddworld)
Blinx (Blinx the Time Sweeper)

Etc.

Most of those are incredibly obscure. Hardly any of them are iconic or are in multiple games.

Although I will admit some of them are really cool ideas like the Hero of Oakvale.

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
It would just end up being four different coloured Master Chiefs and a car from Forza.

lol

Old Post Apr 30th, 2012 03:48 AM
NemeBro

Man **** the Hero of Oakvale. Jack of Blades or gtfo.

Never said they weren't. I do appreciate story and deep characters. That's one reason I love the final fantasy franchise. But in a game like smash bros I don't think its necessary to rank a character's worth based on things like that. Its better to think of who you will be better suited to, who you want to be when you hand your friends ass to them in a match, or who will have the best attacks.
Admittedly, that does bring up a good point. In a fighting game, I would prefer characters whom play differently, which means characters from series of varied powahs would be nice. Some PS3 exclusive characters fit that nicely, like Kratos or IMO Parappa (Due to lulz).

Old Post Apr 30th, 2012 06:40 AM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Man **** the Hero of Oakvale. Jack of Blades or gtfo.

Can't have both?

Old Post Apr 30th, 2012 08:41 AM
BruhMan
World Champion

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
So you do like Fat Princess! evil face

Old Post Apr 30th, 2012 05:16 PM
BruhMan is currently offline Click here to Send BruhMan a Private Message Find more posts by BruhMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

This game will have a single player mode so I'm guessing there'll be a story. Wonder if the PS characters will talk unlike the Nintendo characters in Brawl's story (although to be fair, they do have a history of mostly being mute). If so, I hope the guys get their original voice actors. If Kratos doesn't get T.C. Carson, then already is everything ruined.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Apr 30th, 2012 at 08:45 PM

Old Post Apr 30th, 2012 08:42 PM
ares834

Meh. I hated Brawl's attempt at a story. Hopefully this ones "story" is better... and shorter.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2012 11:06 PM