KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Who is the Phantom menace?

Who is the Phantom menace?
Started by: C-3POTheClever

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
He probably invested himself in the prequels to such an extent that he couldn't stand it when they were deconstructed.

I have a similar idea about the PT Haters: they had invested themselves so much into hating the PT before it came out that when it did come out, and was actually pretty good, it was too late to go back.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2013 12:47 PM
Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by dadudemon
I have a similar idea about the PT Haters: they had invested themselves so much into hating the PT before it came out that when it did come out, and was actually pretty good, it was too late to go back.

not sure if trolling or just infinitely dense.

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=denton+van+zan+vs

Old Post Jan 16th, 2013 01:22 PM
Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Granted there's definitely people like that out there. They develop an opinion and their ego demands they stick to it forever. It's especially worse when it's preconceived.

For myself, I used to... "like" is a strong word, but I used to "not mind" the PT. I've come across posts from 5 years ago where I defended the prequels, saying "they're not that bad." Exposure to more films, and (admittedly) seeing people's reviews helped me develop a better sense of discernment. I can't find much that I'd call 'good' in the prequels anymore, or even 'entertaining'.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2013 06:24 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Insanely incorrect dismissive reductionist POV as usual when you talk on the subject of those who did not like the PT.

There have been many valid reasons for the profound disappointment felt by fans, many of which really gave it a chance and needed the films to be awesome..

'Pretty good' does not describe great Star Wars.
Epic, superfluous, legendary, profound etc etc does though.

This is why our expectations were positive prerelease on all 3 movies. Many of these fans, such as myself have defended aspects of PT. But they see the whole picture and cannot help but describe the whole painting, not just what the reds and greys are doing.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Jan 16th, 2013 07:38 PM
Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I personally didn't know anyone that had negative views of The Phantom Menace before it came out.

Every single Star Wars uber-fan I knew was overly excited and looked forward to more Star Wars. Including myself; it was like Christmas in May.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 16th, 2013 07:54 PM
Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

See...?

Originally posted by Robtard
I personally didn't know anyone that had negative views of The Phantom Menace before it came out.

Every single Star Wars uber-fan I knew was overly excited and looked forward to more Star Wars. Including myself; it was like Christmas in May.

smokin'

Old Post Jan 16th, 2013 08:00 PM
Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Except we got something more akin to Easter, with a couple rotten eggs. You knowa whatta mesa sayin.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2013 08:02 PM
Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Smelly smelly 'eggs' indeed.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2013 08:41 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I remember all the reviews for Ep. III about it being dark, and "adult" and better than the other two. I was so f*cking excited. And so underwhelmed.

I've also never forgotten a review calling the romance in Ep. II "one of the best ever onscreen" and how believable it was. I'm pretty sure that reviewer was Stephanie Meyer.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2013 10:51 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

even ebert gave it 4 stars. im pretty sure i came then. was anticipating a great film.

on the bright side i forgave ebert long ago.

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

Old Post Jan 17th, 2013 12:03 AM
Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Ebert also loved Magnolia and f*cking despised North, so...

I don't know what to make of Ebert's reviews anymore.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2013 01:24 AM
dadudemon

Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Insanely incorrect dismissive reductionist POV as usual when you talk on the subject of those who did not like the PT.

That is not the only reason (the one I provided that you quoted) of course. But it is one of the many. It was only a re-envisioning of Lord Lucian's quote.

'Pretty good' does not describe great Star Wars.

I think it does in the scenario I provided for those individuals. The ones that would have hated the PT, no matter what, raged harder at the PT because it was actually pretty good rather than just good, okay, or bad. It was "pretty good" to them, not to me. For me, it was awesome and among the best cinema experiences of my life (all 3 films).

Many of these fans, such as myself have defended aspects of PT.

This was a relief to read. I had almost relegated you to another hypocritical PT hater.

I know about half a dozen. smile All from the internet. no expression

Every person, in real life, was like that (of the uber fans). And when they saw TPM, they said it was awesome, I had to see it, and it was a one of those things you HAD to see before it exited the theaters.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2013 05:20 PM
Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I know about half a dozen. smile All from the internet. no expression

Every person, in real life, was like that (of the uber fans). And when they saw TPM, they said it was awesome, I had to see it, and it was a one of those things you HAD to see before it exited the theaters.

Six people isn't a lot, unless you just happen to know six people IRL and the interwebs.

Except those six I assume?

Old Post Jan 17th, 2013 05:56 PM
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

ddm needs an empty chair to debate with.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2013 10:35 PM
queeq
Chaos

Yep, same here. I was already very active on SW forums. And everyone was excited as far as I remember. We all knew digital effects were so much better, we had seen Jurassic Park and the trailer looked awesome.

I wanted to like it a lot, I tried defending it a lot (I liked the way the pod race was cut) but it also left me underwhelmed. And like with any movie that doesn't seem to grab me I try to analyse WHY it doesn't grab me. And looking under the surface there is so much wrong with TPM and AOTC, the characters don't work, it's a very forced sequence of events ("things happen because the script says they must") and it misses a soul... there is a desire to succeed, but it misses the point on so many counts. AOTC is with ROTS even worse. ROTS at least had proper pacing and worked better as a movie, but the characters were still lousy and, worse, on many count contradictory to the OT.

But no, I don't remember a large group of fans who hated TPM before it came out... and even the disappointment grew slowly I think. I always felt we all WANTED to love it... because we loved SW so much. It's not a blind hate.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2013 09:58 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kickballjedi

Originally posted by queeq
...And looking under the surface there is so much wrong with TPM and AOTC, the characters don't work, it's a very forced sequence of events ("things happen because the script says they must") and it misses a soul... there is a desire to succeed, but it misses the point on so many counts. AOTC is with ROTS even worse. ROTS at least had proper pacing and worked better as a movie, but the characters were still lousy and, worse, on many count contradictory to the OT...

Queeg,

I had a revelation as I read your reply. You're right, the PT didn't have a "soul". It was a lot of cold characters blah blahing back and forth and the story moved in the direction each fan predicted it would go since the the PT was announced. But the "soul" the PT didn't have was a certain character named HAN SOLO. Han is what gave the OT character, life, inspiration and personality. Who is bitching all the time about crazy Princesses and Old Wizards? Who is oddly paired with a 7 foot hairy beast? Who continuously appears to save everybody's ass from the fire? Who does the audience relate to? A princess? A farm boy with Force powers? No, a regular everyday guy working to make a living in the GL universe. If there were a Han Solo type character in the PT, I think it would've turned out much better. But it takes itself too seriously and the dialogue doesn't have the same flare without the energy of a scoundrel mixed in it. We needed an "everyday guy" in the PT to relate to, and no, Jar Jar wasn't him.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2013 06:21 PM
Click here to Send Kickballjedi a Private Message Find more posts by Kickballjedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vensai

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Ebert also loved Magnolia and f*cking despised North, so...

I don't know what to make of Ebert's reviews anymore.

This: "The critics slap labels on you and then expect you to talk inside their terms."

Credit to Scythe

Old Post Aug 8th, 2013 05:00 AM
Click here to Send Vensai a Private Message Find more posts by Vensai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ROTJ Vader
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Sith.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2013 12:29 PM
Click here to Send ROTJ Vader a Private Message Find more posts by ROTJ Vader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vensai

Originally posted by ROTJ Vader
The Sith.

Specifically Palpatine.

Credit to Scythe

Old Post Aug 13th, 2013 09:24 PM
Click here to Send Vensai a Private Message Find more posts by Vensai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by Kickballjedi
Queeg,

I had a revelation as I read your reply. You're right, the PT didn't have a "soul". It was a lot of cold characters blah blahing back and forth and the story moved in the direction each fan predicted it would go since the the PT was announced. But the "soul" the PT didn't have was a certain character named HAN SOLO. Han is what gave the OT character, life, inspiration and personality. Who is bitching all the time about crazy Princesses and Old Wizards? Who is oddly paired with a 7 foot hairy beast? Who continuously appears to save everybody's ass from the fire? Who does the audience relate to? A princess? A farm boy with Force powers? No, a regular everyday guy working to make a living in the GL universe. If there were a Han Solo type character in the PT, I think it would've turned out much better. But it takes itself too seriously and the dialogue doesn't have the same flare without the energy of a scoundrel mixed in it. We needed an "everyday guy" in the PT to relate to, and no, Jar Jar wasn't him.

To me it's not just Han Solo. The OT has a very simple set up, character wise:
1. Simple everyday farmboy - an everyman, you can relate to that
2. A beautiful princess locked up (in a tower?)
3. A pirate, a bit naughty, the way we like to be
4. An older man, a grandfather type
5. A bad guy in a big bad suit.

Basic fairytale characters that we already knew from numerous childhood stories, but now in a completely new look, world etc.
Plus it had a fairly indepth story about a father and a son. And basically that's it. PT wanted to score on too many counts: politics, profound characters with many layers, spectacular action scenes. It wanted too much and it turned out as too less.

But I agree with you: it takes itself waaaaay to seriously. The PT suffers from pretentiousness.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2013 06:24 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote