KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Respect' Forum » Tandiandthe223 -- The Ultimate Wonder Woman Appreciation Thread

Tandiandthe223 -- The Ultimate Wonder Woman Appreciation Thread
Started by: bluewaterrider

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
bluewaterrider

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zack Fair
She had to use a breathing aparatus Kyle created with his construct in JLA 1(Morrison) iirc

Believe it or not, I was just about to post that showing ...

Attachment: apocalypse and psylocke painted. prt sc version.jpg
This has been downloaded 52 time(s).

Old Post May 14th, 2013 09:14 AM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

She had to use a breathing aparatus Kyle created with his construct in JLA 1(Morrison) iirc

PR was right about the sexual tension between Diana and Clark LOL.

thumb up

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post May 14th, 2013 09:18 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

PR was right about ... tension between Diana and Clark ...

On that note, I'll give some screen time to the following.

Twilight of the gods. Where Superman, though desperate to get to Darkseid, is nonetheless held completely back from forward progression by Wonder Woman's physical strength.

Singly, too, for this brief portion.

(Immediately after she stops this first particular rush cold, J'onnz grabs Superman so the two will be able to apply concerted effort in keeping SM and DS apart from each other.)

Too brief, but rather impressive to see for the time it lasts.

They didn't do nearly as much as they should have, but Diana sometimes got more props than people realize in the DC Animated Universe...

Attachment: superman, though eager to get to darkseid, cannot push past diana.jpg
This has been downloaded 49 time(s).

Old Post May 14th, 2013 09:53 AM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I think with Diana, she didn't peak early in the animated stuff. She got better as time went on, so by the end of the series she was getting plenty of respect.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 14th, 2013 09:59 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Originally posted by -Pr-
I think with Diana, she didn't peak early in the animated stuff. She got better as time went on, so by the end of the series she was getting plenty of respect.

That actually parallels what went on with the actual comic book Justice League magazine and others.

Wonder Woman increased in strength, endurance, and invulnerability till perhaps 2008 or so.

It's not completely linear, of course, but, to give an example, we see her going from stopping the moon with double digit team members in 1999,
to towing the entirety of the moon at great speed with the Green Lantern Kyle in 2001 and Superman (in the JLA rematch with the White Martians, Terror Incognita),
to towing the Earth itself with the help of Superman, and J'onnz in 2003.

Say, P.R. answerer of a great many questions, this was posted earlier where I SHOULD have had a showing from the Green Lantern Circle of Fire series ... do you have any idea where it is originally from or who did it? I love the artwork here ...

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...postid=14295542

Old Post May 14th, 2013 10:16 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

It's by an artist called Marko Djurdjevic, and is part of a poster for the crossover called "Second Coming" iirc.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 14th, 2013 10:21 AM
bluewaterrider

Thanks, man!

Old Post May 14th, 2013 10:22 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Np.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 14th, 2013 10:24 AM
bluewaterrider

Zack,

I don't have JLA v1 #1 at hand, so I can't confirm or deny, but the fact that Diana tells her teammates later that she had to hold her breath longer than the White Martian Primaid at the end of JLA #4 in their brief stratospheric fight suggests you're right.

What came to mind when you mentioned Kyle, however, was an impressive episode in Green Lantern: Circle of Fire, where Diana saves J'onn J'onnz from a black hole (referred to as a "Cosmic Event" on panel). It is particularly impressive because you-know-who is UNABLE to save J'onnz, and, arguably, needs saving from Kyle himself from the event.

Despite what some have tried to argue, moreover, this event takes place just BEFORE the black-hole-creating villain decides to transform the local star into a red sun to completely neutralize Superman's threat.

Attachment: wonder woman versus black hole. wondy wins, superman fails.jpg
This has been downloaded 47 time(s).

Old Post May 14th, 2013 10:40 AM
bluewaterrider

tension between Diana and Clark ...

There is some really great work by Adam Hughes that I might use your quote to introduce later in the thread. Since I'd been reviewing Justice League Animated stills tonight, however, I was thinking instead of the surprisingly natural attraction they gave Diana and BRUCE in that cartoon.

The "This Little Piggy" clip shown earlier in this thread (though, unfortunately, I think that short clip has been erased by YouTube since), was an instance, of course, but I also like this shot, a moment taking place after Diana saves Gorilla City from an errant and powerful rocket.

She gets cratered in the attempt, even though it is successful, and, not having consistently established durability in this series, as I was just alluding to with P.R., well, the others think she perished.

They immediately discount hope of rescue as a lost cause.

All save one.

Diana discovers that Batman was the lone person holding out hope, concern for her overcoming reason.

She finds him trying to hide the dust covering his hands as he struggled to dig her out from the rubble a moment before she raises the giant weapon herself and shoves it aside.

A kiss awaits our shy, would-be hero at that point; telegraphed by the look given here ...

Attachment: smoke eyes appreciation. diana kisses bruce after his attempt to save her.jpg
This has been downloaded 46 time(s).

Old Post May 14th, 2013 11:02 AM
bluewaterrider

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZVWIELHQQY
Britney Spears, overcoming difficulties, etcetera

(Craig Ferguson speaks from the heart)

Attachment: britney spears. all grown up.jpg
This has been downloaded 31 time(s).

Old Post May 15th, 2013 09:42 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Not a fan of Britney, or of Bruce and Diana.

That's not a slight against Diana; it's just that I don't believe that Batman should be with someone that isn't Catwoman. Their relationship is so deep on so many levels, and is probably my favourite one in comics.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 15th, 2013 09:51 AM
bluewaterrider

Not a fan of Britney ...

I should make clear that I am NOT a particular fan of Britney Spears in terms of her music and performances. She's here, instead, as part of my "real life Wonder Women" series for the kind of person she appears to be largely outside of those things, namely the energy and drive she used to put into giving her fans the best performance possible, including developing mind and body, her message, whenever possible of doing the same, her notable charity work, and the way she has been able to largely bounce back from trials with a lot of personal demons and the censure of the press. Britney Spears the non-celebrity, if you will.

You've got to admit, if you truly examine her, she embodies a lot of what Charles Moulton himself admired in women, as well as the message he was trying to preach, for Moulton did NOT deal primarily with perfect people.

Not a fan ... of Bruce and Diana.

erm

Dwayne McDuffie never had even the smallest chance with you, did he?

I don't believe that Batman should be with someone that isn't Catwoman. Their relationship is so deep on so many levels, and is probably my favourite one in comics.

You've given me a segue into the "gods of gotham" storyline and a few others that I plan to take presently.

Not sure if it demonstrates particular wisdom on her part, but Diana's interactions with Bruce DO tend to demonstrate her understanding and appreciation of people and the more noble, but often hidden, forces that encourage them to better themselves and others.

Can't speak much to (Selina) Kyle.
Outside of the chance to reform a person, or recognizing some heroic aspect in their character despite their reputation, some inherent good, I can't see what she offers to Bruce that others (yes, Diana included) doesn't deliver better.

Old Post May 15th, 2013 10:55 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by bluewaterrider
I should make clear that I am NOT a particular fan of Britney Spears in terms of her music and performances. She's here, instead, as part of my "real life Wonder Women" series for the kind of person she appears to be largely outside of those things, namely the energy and drive she used to put into giving her fans the best performance possible, including developing mind and body, her message, whenever possible of doing the same, her notable charity work, and the way she has been able to largely bounce back from trials with a lot of personal demons and the censure of the press. Britney Spears the non-celebrity, if you will.

You've got to admit, if you truly examine her, she embodies a lot of what Charles Moulton himself admired in women, as well as the message he was trying to preach, for Moulton did NOT deal primarily with perfect people.

Fair enough; you'll get no argument from me.

quote:
erm

Dwayne McDuffie never had even the smallest chance with you, did he?

My dislike of McDuffie isn't because of JLU. I didn't even mind the hinting towards Bruce and Diana that he did. What did annoy me, was that people would see things in the show (like Wally being a proxy Plastic Man) and think that it should override the comics. That, if anything, grinds my gears.

I really like JLU. Even in making Superman a bit of an ass towards the end, it was never to the extent that I disliked the show. I have the entire thing in my possession, funnily enough.

Any problems I have with McDuffie stem from his handling of certain characters in the comics. Superman is the primary one, but his handling of Kimiyo (a real favourite of mine), and Red Tornado (another favourite) are what make me dislike that body of work.

quote:
You've given me a segue into the "gods of gotham" storyline and a few others that I plan to take presently.

Not sure if it demonstrates particular wisdom on her part, but Diana's interactions with Bruce DO tend to demonstrate her understanding and appreciation of people and the more noble, but often hidden, forces that encourage them to better themselves and others.

Can't speak much to (Selina) Kyle.
Outside of the chance to reform a person, or recognizing some heroic aspect in their character despite their reputation, some inherent good, I can't see what she offers to Bruce that others (yes, Diana included) doesn't deliver better.

To be honest, any response I give as to why I think Selina is the perfect woman for Bruce, is going to be paragraphs long. If you've ever seen my essay-like responses about why Cyclops and Jean's marriage fell apart, you'd get an idea, and I really don't want to derail your thread any more than I might have done already. If there was a suitable thread in the Batman forum or another one, I'd be willing to discuss this further.

I'm a big supporter of female empowerment and equality in comics, so I wouldn't like to be seen as being contrary to that.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 15th, 2013 11:21 AM
bluewaterrider

I really don't want to derail your thread any more than I might have done already. If there was a suitable thread in the Batman forum or another one, I'd be willing to discuss this further.

I'll give you a link to an appropriate thread concerning Selina and Bruce if I find it; I'd be interested to hear your opinion.

In the meantime, I remain firmly convinced that Diana and Bruce complement each other quite well, that they have a fairly deep understanding of one another, and that some of the best character traits of either naturally reveal when they are given as foils to each other.

Perhaps one of the best instances of this, alluded to earlier, and, not coincidentally, one of the best demonstrations of Wonder Woman's gift of resolving conflict through simple, heartfelt, verbal speech, occurs in the "gods of Gotham" storyline. Batman has been possessed. He is still fighting, but losing his struggle for identity as Diana approaches ...

Attachment: 10 wonder woman v2 #167 gods of gotham. character expression.jpg
This has been downloaded 32 time(s).

Old Post May 16th, 2013 05:48 AM
bluewaterrider

This is one of the best speeches I've seen written in a comicbook.
I'm debating only on the best format now of showing scans and dialogue, which, unfortunately, KMC is not especially well-equipped to do. I suppose the 6 image sequence followed by the verbal transcript will be easiest to read, so ...

gods of Gotham 2 of 6

Attachment: 20 wonder woman v2 #167. gods of gotham. character exposition.jpg
This has been downloaded 28 time(s).

Old Post May 16th, 2013 06:10 AM
bluewaterrider

gods of Gotham. Superb character identity speech. part 3 of 6.

Attachment: 30 wonder woman v2 #167. gods of gotham.jpg
This has been downloaded 26 time(s).

Old Post May 16th, 2013 06:11 AM
bluewaterrider

gods of Gotham 4 of 6

Attachment: 40 wonder woman v2 #167 gods of gotham.jpg
This has been downloaded 27 time(s).

Old Post May 16th, 2013 06:12 AM
bluewaterrider

gods of Gotham 5 of 6

Attachment: 50 wonder woman v2 #167 pg15b.jpg

Old Post May 16th, 2013 06:13 AM
bluewaterrider

gods of Gotham 6 of 6

Attachment: 60 wonder woman v2 #167 pg15b2.jpg

Old Post May 16th, 2013 06:14 AM