KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Abeloth -vs- Darth Nihilus

Abeloth -vs- Darth Nihilus
Started by: Battlemaster

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (14): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Pwned
That guy

What are your sources? You have to prove it.

There is a difference between the, "crude matter" that people are made of, and their Force signature. He feeds on the Force that they are a part of, not made of.

Nope, I played that game several times, he never ate an attack that was launched at him via the Force. He can sever people from the Force in such a way that they die, and feed off of their agony (its a known technique multiple dark siders use, such as Bane and Palpatine (the feeding off the agony, not the severing)) but he can't absorb the Force energy from an attack because he was never shown to do so, not even hinted at, or implied. "Because I say so" is not a valid debating tactic.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 12:04 AM
Click here to Send Pwned a Private Message Find more posts by Pwned Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Battlemaster
[B]What's the source that he wasn't? stick out tongue

Every source I've seen says he was - and only one says he isn't - Ares.

So I want to see what makes his one opinion more valid than apparent established Canon.

laughing out loud

I said no such thing. I've only claimed that no source says Nihilus was on the planet at detention and that it is equally feasible that his ship crashed there. And no canon source has claimed he was on the planet.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 12:08 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arhael
Devoid of reality

Also, when someone experiences millions of deaths, putting up defenses against anything is the last thing they would think off.
Also, there is no Force wound concept outside KOTTOR. There are many examples of Force users suffering far greater disturbances in the Force. Like Kyp suffering death of his brother and entire Karrida. Or Brakiss and Kueller feeling simultaneous death of entire planet population they were on. Or Itor annihilation by Yuuzhan Vong. And many other examples.

Also, there is nothing to suggest that Krayt's Force drain sucked. At the same time there is nothing suggesting that drain can't be resisted. Both Luke and Cade had no problem with that, when encountering Krayt.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 12:21 AM
Click here to Send Arhael a Private Message Find more posts by Arhael Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Battlemaster

Originally posted by ares834
"The void that the vehicle's dovin basals created to intercept the missiles was a gravitic anomaly that had substance in the real world. Tiny threads of the Force leaked into it as insects and birds, bats and bugs were pulled into it. Luke used their vanishing life traces and the very currents in the air that the void created to define the void. He traced its edges, knew exactly where it was, and knew how powerful it was.

He opened himself to the Force more fully than he had in years. He sought more power than he had when freeing his nephew. The Force flooded into him, at once molten-metal hot, yet as soothing as a cool rain. It swirled through him, filling every cell of his body, freeing him from fatigue, sharpening his mind.

Luke reached out with that power and latched onto the void that the Yuuzhan Vong vehicle had created. He pushed a bit, then tugged, in nanoseconds getting a feel for the power the dovin basals were able to exert to control the void."

Yep, it was the Dovin Basal. Not Luke. cool

He was what??? We know he was on Malachor V when he stripped Kreia of the force. If you are talking about him crashing onto the planet, I did not state it as fact. I merely presented another possibility in contrast to him actually being on the planet at the time of detonation. Hell, I don't even think there was a ground battle during the battle.

You're still the one claiming he wasn't on the planet when the war ended, when every other source I've seen says otherwise.

What do you know that they don't?

Yeah, on the force within people. Never has he shown the ability to feed on force power thrown his way.

He pulls it out of people - but the Force is what he's after - he's a Wound in the Force itself - seeking out all Force energy to consume.

Force attacks like lightning and destruction can be absorbed conventionally anyway, and he seeks Force energy, period, and that is what Force attacks are made of.

I'm not sure why you think this is true.

Okay - back.

Yep, she's not a Force Wound, so she's screwed. wink

Next.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 12:28 AM
Click here to Send Battlemaster a Private Message Find more posts by Battlemaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Yep, it was the Dovin Basal. Not Luke. cool

You serious? The force was leaking into the void not the Basal.
"Tiny threads of the Force leaked into it as insects and birds, bats and bugs were pulled into it."

"It" clearly refers to the block hole as it's sucking up animals.

Read the whole sentence next time please.

Originally posted by Battlemaster You're still the one claiming he wasn't on the planet when the war ended, when every other source I've seen says otherwise.

Quit using straw mans. I never once claimed that he wasn't on the planet during detention. I've only said that no source stated that he was. And if every source claims he was on the planet post a quote from one.

Force attacks like lightning and destruction can be absorbed conventionally anyway, and he seeks Force energy, period, and that is what Force attacks are made of.

I'll believe it once you show an example of him doing it.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 12:37 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Battlemaster

You serious? The force was leaking into the void not the Basal.
"Tiny threads of the Force leaked into it as insects and birds, bats and bugs were pulled into it."

"It" clearly refers to the block hole as it's sucking up animals.

Read the whole sentence next time please.

How about you tell me why he's in the machine, if he doesn't need it to manipulate a singularity.

If that's the case, he and Kyp can just fly around in any ship and destroy the Vong that way.

But, surprise, surprise, they capture the Vong ships designed to manipulate singularities.

Curious, no?

How about you use your noggin for a change? wink

Quit using straw mans. I never once claimed that he wasn't on the planet during detention. I've only said that no source stated that he was. And if every source claims he was on the planet post a quote from one.

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Lawl. Internet fail.

I'll believe it once you show an example of him doing it.

Just like I'll believe you about Nihilus not being on Malachor, when you can show me proof of it. cool

Last edited by Battlemaster on Jul 6th, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 12:51 AM
Click here to Send Battlemaster a Private Message Find more posts by Battlemaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

How about you tell me why he's in the machine, if he doesn't need it to manipulate a singularity.

You talking about the Star Destroyer that Luke's sitting in... Why would that make a difference?

If that's the case, he and Kyp can just fly around in any ship and destroy the Vong that way.

Hmm... Probably because it takes Luke a massive amount of effort to do so. The text notes that he is exhausted.

Just like I'll believe you about Nihilus not being on Malachor, when you can show me proof of it. cool

Good thing I didn't claim that. Rather I said I've seen no source stating such and, despite your claims that numerous sources say so, you've presented no canon evidence that he was. Nor have you provided any for Nihilus eating force attacks.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 01:03 AM
Battlemaster

You talking about the Star Destroyer that Luke's sitting in... Why would that make a difference?

I'm talking about the Dovin Basal's Luke needs to manipulate singularities. wink

Hmm... Probably because it takes Luke a massive amount of effort to do so. The text notes that he is exhausted.

Hmm... probably because only a Dovin Basal can do it - which is why they used them.

Good thing I didn't claim that.

You're not claiming that?

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 01:13 AM
ares834

I'm talking about the Dovin Basal's Luke needs to manipulate singularities. wink

Please direct me to where it says he manipulates the dovin basal. All it talks about is him manipulating the "void".

You're not claiming that?

No. I'm simply asking for a source that says he was on the planet during the generator's detention as there are other ways he could have got there.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 01:21 AM
Battlemaster

Please direct me to where it says he manipulates the dovin basal. All it talks about is him manipulating the "void

Please. Even one of the Forum's greatest Debators knew Luke was using a Dovin Basal.

Originally posted by Gideon
All I know is that a dovin basal is not the same thing as a black hole; the dovin basal merely creates artificial black holes. It's rather like saying that manipulating the firing mechanism for a nuclear warhead means that someone has power on par with its yield.

Furthermore, the dovin basal in question was powerful enough only to intercept missiles -- and Luke had to enter brief meditation in order to pull that off.

Not nearly as impressive as "LOL LUKE MANIPULATES BLACK WHOLES!"

He has far more impressive feats, imho.

No. I'm simply asking for a source that says he was on the planet during the generator's detention as there are other ways he could have got there.

I'm asking for One source that says he wasn't.

So far, I only have you to go on - and I don't think all the other sources on Google are wrong, and you're magically right. wink

You do know how to type into the Google search bar, right?

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 01:38 AM
ares834

Please. Even one of the Forum's greatest Debators knew Luke was using a Dovin Basal.

And in this case he is wrong. But if you wish to treat his opinion as canon fact, that's fine by me. But alas, then we must then do this with everything he states.

I'm asking for One source that says he wasn't.

So far, I only have you to go on - and I don't think all the other sources on Google are wrong, and you're magically right. wink

You do know how to type into the Google search bar, right?

Why should I prove that he isn't? I never said he wasn't on the planet during detention, only that no source confirms such. Furthermore, Google is not a canon source.

Last edited by ares834 on Jul 6th, 2012 at 01:46 AM

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 01:44 AM
Arhael
Devoid of reality

Dovin Basals manipulated by Force... What next? Nihilus draining Yuuzhan Vongs?

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 02:01 AM
Click here to Send Arhael a Private Message Find more posts by Arhael Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by Nephthys
No one does. Not many of us actually read the comics. I myself have no idea how powerful he is, other than that he was matched/beaten by Cade who from what I hear is poorly trained.

That's... not really a good description.

Cade had both near-complete Jedi training, plus months of Sith training, plus a lot of bounty hunter experience. And like Luke, he picked up skill really fast. He started out the series rusty, but was fighting on the level of Jedi masters in no-time.

And, I should note, Cade never was his match in combat and never beat him in a duel. Cade was able to put up a fight in the final battle (after Cade had been fighting Sith and Jedi and Imperial Knights for something like two years strait), but even then Krayt literally did kill him in the fight and if it wasn't for Krayt healing him so he could turn him, that would've been it, game over, Krayt win. The first time they fought, the only reason Cade even escaped was because Krayt was shot in the back.

The only person in the series who was really able to go power-to-power with Krayt was Celeste Morne, a KotoR era Jedi Master who was empowered by Karness Muur, one of the original Hundred Year's Darkness Sith Lords (and I'll note- Morne was still solidly outmatched before Muur took the driver's seat).

Darth Wyyrlok, Krayt's second (and slayer of ancient sith Darth Andeddu), put up some fight too, but was beaten at his own speciality.

I mean, Krayt's 80 years older by the time of his series than when he helped Luke, but still, guy's a badass. Even before he got any Sith training, only his Jedi skills, he was a near-match for Obi-wan.

Oh yea, and at one point he solo'd a Vong warship, unarmed smile Broke free from restraints, killed all the Vong, escaped as it blew up.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 02:18 AM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pwned
That guy

Battlemaster, you really, really should learn how to debate. You haven't brought a single piece of proof at all. Not even incorrect proof. And you apparently jump to conclusions and use out-of-context quotes. Congrats.

As a famous character once said (paraphrased to be a direct address), "Its like you have the monk class feature that allows you to jump as far as you want, but for you it only applies to conclusions."

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 02:43 AM
Click here to Send Pwned a Private Message Find more posts by Pwned Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

Hyperbole. wink

The Dovin Basal thing may or may not be chump change - but the "feat" you just quoted, is Counterfeit. stick out tongue

sorry, i'm taking the novel's quote over your weak dismissal.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 05:44 AM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Only that can easily be considered narrative hyperbole.

Not that I condone Battlemaster's attempt at "debating" in this thread.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 07:12 AM
Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
heitoi_which
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by NemeBro
Only that can easily be considered narrative hyperbole.

Not that I condone Battlemaster's attempt at "debating" in this thread.

thumb up

Gideon made a convincing case for the quote to be hyperbolic, but UnuThul was utterly impotent against Luke in this scenario. And when you consider that he had the entire Force potential of the Colony to draw upon (I believe the numbers provided by Borbarad and others put those to be in the millions or billions), the quote is renewed with a profound sense of literalism.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 05:29 PM
Click here to Send heitoi_which a Private Message Find more posts by heitoi_which Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Q99
That's... not really a good description.

Cade had both near-complete Jedi training, plus months of Sith training, plus a lot of bounty hunter experience. And like Luke, he picked up skill really fast. He started out the series rusty, but was fighting on the level of Jedi masters in no-time.

And, I should note, Cade never was his match in combat and never beat him in a duel. Cade was able to put up a fight in the final battle (after Cade had been fighting Sith and Jedi and Imperial Knights for something like two years strait), but even then Krayt literally did kill him in the fight and if it wasn't for Krayt healing him so he could turn him, that would've been it, game over, Krayt win. The first time they fought, the only reason Cade even escaped was because Krayt was shot in the back.

The only person in the series who was really able to go power-to-power with Krayt was Celeste Morne, a KotoR era Jedi Master who was empowered by Karness Muur, one of the original Hundred Year's Darkness Sith Lords (and I'll note- Morne was still solidly outmatched before Muur took the driver's seat).

Darth Wyyrlok, Krayt's second (and slayer of ancient sith Darth Andeddu), put up some fight too, but was beaten at his own speciality.

I mean, Krayt's 80 years older by the time of his series than when he helped Luke, but still, guy's a badass. Even before he got any Sith training, only his Jedi skills, he was a near-match for Obi-wan.

Oh yea, and at one point he solo'd a Vong warship, unarmed smile Broke free from restraints, killed all the Vong, escaped as it blew up.

tl;dr

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 05:32 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by Nephthys
tl;dr

Short version: He's badass, strong, and well worthy of the title Dark Lord of the Sith.

Cade's also more skilled than you think and gets a lot more dangerous as the story goes on, but he never gets to Krayt's level.

Legacy people have met and fought with various people of different eras and performed well.

Last edited by Q99 on Jul 6th, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 10:36 PM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
heitoi_which
Restricted

Account Restricted

But if you wish to treat his opinion as canon fact, that's fine by me. But alas, then we must then do this with everything he states.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 11:11 PM
Click here to Send heitoi_which a Private Message Find more posts by heitoi_which Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote