KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Why were the sith considered to be so evil?

The movies were too vague in explaining the Sith's supposed evilness to us
This poll is closed.
The Sith are not inheritley evil, just some of them are 1 25.00%
The Sith are all inheritley evil 3 75.00%
Total: 4 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Why were the sith considered to be so evil?
Started by: PhoenixSam5

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

sorry. its a nervouse twitch.

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=denton+van+zan+vs

Old Post Feb 27th, 2013 02:01 AM
Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SevenShackles
Missa pro defunctis

quote: (post)
Originally posted by focus4chumps
sorry. its a nervouse twitch.

Lol no problem and understandable big grin

GAMMA GIDEON

Respect: -Dynamo 5 -Greed -Noh-Varr/Marvel Boy

Old Post Feb 27th, 2013 02:26 AM
Click here to Send SevenShackles a Private Message Find more posts by SevenShackles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Ok, this thread was clearly not created with proper discussion in mind, so closed.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Feb 28th, 2013 at 08:22 AM

Old Post Feb 27th, 2013 07:49 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Ok, I've re-opened this on request, on the understanding that I'll close it again if it continues to go nowhere.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 28th, 2013 08:21 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Keep in mind the Sith literally started the entire Clone Wars so that they could take out the Jedi. They were playing both sides.

So, in the PT, they did a heck of a lot. The Jedi didn't know about both sides, but did know the Sith were leading the CIS (via Dooku), and the CIS was not exactly nice in themselves. They also knew Maul had killed one of their more respected masters and appeared to be behind the blockade of Naboo. In short, from their point of view, the Sith were pulling the strings that started a galactic war, and they didn't even realize just how many strings were being pulled.

Their older reputation goes back, obviously, not to the current sith, but prior ones. Which the movies don't talk about too much aside from them using the dark side- which is all about anger and hatred and such. Basically we have no signs that they were any nicer than Sidious, Tyranus, and Vader.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2013 12:26 PM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PhoenixSam5

Originally posted by Q99
Keep in mind the Sith literally started the entire Clone Wars so that they could take out the Jedi. They were playing both sides.

So, in the PT, they did a heck of a lot. The Jedi didn't know about both sides, but did know the Sith were leading the CIS (via Dooku), and the CIS was not exactly nice in themselves. They also knew Maul had killed one of their more respected masters and appeared to be behind the blockade of Naboo. In short, from their point of view, the Sith were pulling the strings that started a galactic war, and they didn't even realize just how many strings were being pulled.

Their older reputation goes back, obviously, not to the current sith, but prior ones. Which the movies don't talk about too much aside from them using the dark side- which is all about anger and hatred and such. Basically we have no signs that they were any nicer than Sidious, Tyranus, and Vader.

This thread is not just about the evilness of the Sith/the galactic empire, but also about the justness of the rebels waging the Galactic Civil War. It's about the moral and ethical natures of both factions in the star wars saga.

While, yes, I definitley agree with you on this one. Some Sith did many evil things just to gain more p

But, from my POV, bringing justice to Sidious for starting the clone wars and the naboo crisis don't justify a giant galactic civil war that costed millions of lives!

And, besides, the OT never mentions the clone wars being the cause of the rebellion. Hell, the clone wars were a mystery back then, let alone the cause of the main OT's plot-the rebellion!

Why should billions of people suffer from war and why should more violence and suffering and destruction be caused just for the sake of punishing palpatine for invading naboo and starting the clone wars? Two wrongs DONT make a right.

That's vengance. Regardless of how evil a person may be, vengance is always the wrong answer.

Some wars, such as WW2, prevented more future suffering.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2013 07:52 PM
Click here to Send PhoenixSam5 a Private Message Find more posts by PhoenixSam5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by PhoenixSam5

But, from my POV, bringing justice to Sidious for starting the clone wars and the naboo crisis don't justify a giant galactic civil war that costed millions of lives!

you're attempting to rationalize that they should have allowed a mass-murderer to stay in office to avoid further bloodshed?

And, besides, the OT never mentions the clone wars being the cause of the rebellion. Hell, the clone wars were a mystery back then, let alone the cause of the main OT's plot-the rebellion!

Why should billions of people suffer from war and why should more violence and suffering and destruction be caused just for the sake of punishing palpatine for invading naboo and starting the clone wars? Two wrongs DONT make a right.

again you are misrepresenting the issue and being disingenuous. the jedi did not arrest palpatine out of spite or vengeance. he was a war criminal and if allowed to stay in power he would have taken exponentially more lives....which he DID.

That's vengance. Regardless of how evil a person may be, vengance is always the wrong answer.

again, i think you should stop trying to convince people that you are still formulating your understanding of SW characters. its painfully obvious that your mind is made up.

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

Old Post Feb 28th, 2013 08:13 PM
Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PhoenixSam5

you're attempting to rationalize that they should have allowed a mass-murderer to stay in office to avoid further bloodshed?

again you are misrepresenting the issue and being disingenuous. the jedi did not arrest palpatine out of spite or vengeance. he was a war criminal and if allowed to stay in power he would have taken exponentially more lives....which he DID.

again, i think you should stop trying to convince people that you are still formulating your understanding of SW characters. its painfully obvious that your mind is made up.

Waging war is stop future bloodshed is not evil, it's quite the opposite in fact.

Defeating Hitler saved millions of innocent lives from genocide in the long run, despite the deaths that happened during the war.

It was absolutley worth it in the long run defeating the Nazis, even if it meant putting aside our differences with the evil Soviets, because, despite the fact that Stalin killed more people than Hitler did, much of Stalin's high death tolls happened and what's in the past cannot be changed. Hitler's government would have killed more people had the nazis never been defeated than Stalin's government did after/during WW2. In the long run, defeating Hitler saved more lives than the lives that were lost by allowing Stalin's goverment to still exist. The worst of the Soviet atrocities were done and over with. The worst of the nazi atrocities had yet to come.

Without the heroic Russians, we would have lost ww2!

Palpatine DID exponetionally take more lives, but that was because of the rebels waging a war against him. Which if they never reblled against him, luke's aunt and uncle wouldn't have been killed, and alderaan wouldnt have been blown up.

Retaliation against an evil ruler, regardless of how sick, evil, and depraved he may be, is only justified if that war will prevent more future suffering. That's sorta like how my ww2 analogy works.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2013 10:20 PM
Click here to Send PhoenixSam5 a Private Message Find more posts by PhoenixSam5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Palpatine DID exponetionally take more lives, but that was because of the rebels waging a war against him.

right so palpatine would have just retired to the galactic version of florida if it wasnt for the rebels.

well that solves the dilemma i've been having over whether or not to take you seriously.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2013 10:36 PM
PhoenixSam5

right so palpatine would have just retired to the galactic version of florida if it wasnt for the rebels.

well that solves the dilemma i've been having over whether or not to take you seriously.

Let me ask you some rhetorical questions.

Would Owen and beru lars have been killed if the rebels never stole the death star plans in their fight/war against the Empire?

Would Alderaan have been destroyed if not for Tarkin wanting to spite Princeess Leia?

The answer to both of those questions is no.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2013 10:39 PM
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Would Alderaan have been destroyed if not for Tarkin wanting to spite Princeess Leia?

yes yes i get it. it was LEIA's fault alderaan was destroyed, and not the people who destroyed it.

i hope ush is beginning to realize what a dreadful mistake he made by reopening this.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2013 10:45 PM
PhoenixSam5

yes yes i get it. it was LEIA's fault alderaan was destroyed, and not the people who destroyed it.

i hope ush is beginning to realize what a dreadful mistake he made by reopening this.

ad hominem attacks don't work against my arguements. I'm having a productive discussion, as evident by my below, more detailed arguements. Reopening this thread will work if you do what I'm doing and have a productive discussion.

Your arguement was that even if the rebellion didn't exist, Palps would still commit atroicites against his people. I refuted your claims by giving two examples that proved my point that the rebels provoked imperial atrocities.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2013 10:49 PM
PhoenixSam5

Hold on a second, let me find some quotes from the movie dialogue to argue for my position.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2013 10:49 PM
PhoenixSam5

Quoted straight from blueharvest.net

TAGGE: The Rebellion will continue to gain a support in the Imperial
Senate as long as....

TARKIN: The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us.
I've just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council
permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept
away.

TAGGE: That's impossible! How will the Emperor maintain control
without the bureaucracy?

TARKIN: The regional governors now have direct control over
territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this
battle station.

TAGGE: And what of the Rebellion?

And from a different movie scene.

TARKIN: Perhaps she would respond to an alternative form of
persuasion.

VADER: What do you mean?

TARKIN: I think it is time we demonstrate the full power of this
station. (to soldier) Set your course for Princess Leia's home planet
of Alderaan.

TARKIN: Princess Leia, before your execution I would like you to be my
guest at a ceremony that will make this battle station operational. No
star system will dare oppose the Emperor now.

LEIA: The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems
will slip through your fingers.

TARKIN: Not after we demonstrate the power of this station. In a way,
you have determined the choice of the planet that'll be destroyed
first. Since you are reluctant to provide us with the location of the
Rebel base, I have chosen to test this station's destructive power...
on your home planet of Alderaan.

LEIA: No! Alderaan is peaceful. We have no weapons. You can't
possibly...

TARKIN: You would prefer another target? A military target? Then name
the system!

Tarkin waves menacingly toward Leia.

TARKIN: I grow tired of asking this. So it'll be the last time. Where
is the Rebel base?

Leia overhears an intercom voice announcing the approach to
Alderaan.

LEIA: (softly) Dantooine.

Leia lowers her head.

LEIA: They're on Dantooine.

TARKIN: There. You see Lord Vader, she can be reasonable. (addressing
Motti) Continue with the operation. You may fire when ready.

LEIA: What?

TARKIN: You're far too trusting. Dantooine is too remote to make an
effective demonstration. But don't worry. We will deal with your Rebel
friends soon enough.

All of that dialogue proves that Alderaan's destruction was to spite Leia.

Your earlier arguement that if the rebels allowed Palps to stay in power and they didn't do anything about it, he still would have commited atrocities, is proven false by my quotes/evidence.

Last edited by PhoenixSam5 on Feb 28th, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Old Post Feb 28th, 2013 10:55 PM
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Your earlier arguement that if the rebels allowed Palps to stay in power and they didn't do anything about it, he still would have commited atrocities, is proven false by my quotes/evidence.

you are either logically challenged or just trolling at this point.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2013 11:24 PM
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

your painfully fallacious logic can be applied to rape and abuse apologist rhetoric.

"if she had just stfu when she was told... i mean just look at her. two black eyes, so she was obviously told twice. she caused this violence"

Last edited by focus4chumps on Feb 28th, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Old Post Feb 28th, 2013 11:30 PM
Imaginary
blinded

your painfully fallacious logic can be applied to rape and abuse apologist rhetoric.

"if she had just stfu when she was told... i mean just look at her. two black eyes, so she was obviously told twice. she caused this violence"

I was actually thinking the same thing reading through this thread and seeing this guy claim that the Rebellion or Jedi 'provoked' a reaction from the, you know, evil dictatorial folk.

That's why the Sith are evil, that is why the Empire is evil. It represents the decision of a handful of people who think that they are so much better than everyone else in the galaxy that they deserve to rule them. Their subjects have no recourse, no say in anything but probably the daily minutiae of life. That is evil.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2013 12:06 AM
Click here to Send Imaginary a Private Message Find more posts by Imaginary Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PhoenixSam5

It's very true that Padme and the Jedi didn't know about the death star, but they knew that Palpatine was a Sith and that the Sith were ancient enemies, with a very bad track record of evil.

Did they know about the death star? No.

Did they know about the Sith (the bad guy's) specific pattern of behavior? Yes.

For example, even before Hitler started the Holocaust, people knew that he was a bad guy and that he was going to do more bad stuff in the future because of his very bad track record of invading other countries and taking away people's rights and freedoms and having an autocracy.

Despite the fact that the movie was very vague about this, in TPM, we learn from the Jedi that the Sith are old enemies, even before the naboo invasion. They were an ancient evil that returned, implying that they have a very long bad history as the jedi's enemies.

So, I want a list of EU pre-prequel era sith atrocities that gave them a bad history and made them evil to the Jedi and Padme.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2013 04:23 AM
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

So, I want a list of EU pre-prequel era sith atrocities that gave them a bad history and made them evil to the Jedi and Padme.

i think you might enjoy this forum more

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...y.php?forumid=6

Old Post Mar 1st, 2013 04:31 AM
PhoenixSam5

i think you might enjoy this forum more

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...y.php?forumid=6

Does it violate the forum's rules to make a list of EU Sith atrocities here?

Old Post Mar 1st, 2013 04:36 AM