KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Best Comic Book Writer of All Time

Who is the best?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Alan Moore 1 4.76%
Grant Morrison 6 28.57%
Frank Miller 0 0%
Neil Gaiman 4 19.05%
Garth Ennis 0 0%
Warren Ellis 2 9.52%
Chris Claremont 1 4.76%
Ed Brubaker 0 0%
Brian Michael Bendis 2 9.52%
Other 5 23.81%
Total: 21 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Best Comic Book Writer of All Time
Started by: Ben "cA" Risa

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Digi
Forum Leader

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ben "cA" Risa
Not necessarily at all and absolutely not as far as my intended message when I said that is concerned. I feel it goes without saying that what people consider the best in fields such as writing and storytelling is largely a subjective process and that rarely would somebody choose to ignore the subjective areas and focus solely on the objective merits of those disciplines. That is absolutely how I meant it, and how I feel most people would approach this topic, to the point that I feel it isn't worth making the extra effort to specify as much.

People see the word "best", their natural approach is what they personally consider the best, likewise if they see the term "of all time" usually they think of applying a universal standard. Being unnecessarily exact in these matters can be a subtle form of inefficiency.

Not necessarily as the people who mentioned Stan Lee maintained that position after I drew the distinction between "best" and "greatest" and -PR-'s response seemed to indicate that he simply valued certain aspects of his style and methodology, and his imaginative character-building over such things as dialogue and scientific accuracy, in considering him the best.

Good story. I didn't really want to get into this with you. There was some confusion, and I offered some advice for disambiguation. Take it or leave it in your threads. It's not worth playing "yuh-huh, nuh-uh" over who's right.

Old Post May 7th, 2013 10:04 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Not necessarily as the people who mentioned Stan Lee maintained that position after I drew the distinction between "best" and "greatest" and -PR-'s response seemed to indicate that he simply valued certain aspects of his style and methodology, and his imaginative character-building over such things as dialogue and scientific accuracy, in considering him the best.

Don't put words in my mouth, please.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post May 7th, 2013 10:24 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ben "cA" Risa
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well I did say "seemed to indicate"...

Ever17: The Out of Infinity

17 years of gratitude to Scythe for the as ever excellent signature and avatar!

Old Post May 7th, 2013 10:32 PM
Ben "cA" Risa is currently offline Click here to Send Ben "cA" Risa a Private Message Find more posts by Ben "cA" Risa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Okay.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 7th, 2013 10:36 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

I think the most versatile writer on this list is Gaiman and Morrison.

Old Post May 7th, 2013 10:41 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ben "cA" Risa
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Digi
Good story. I didn't really want to get into this with you. There was some confusion, and I offered some advice for disambiguation. Take it or leave it in your threads. It's not worth playing "yuh-huh, nuh-uh" over who's right.

Concession accepted. big grin

Old Post May 7th, 2013 10:46 PM
Ben "cA" Risa is currently offline Click here to Send Ben "cA" Risa a Private Message Find more posts by Ben "cA" Risa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Have you checked out his Batman run? It's his best work imo and my personal favorite comic book continuing storyline ever.

Morrison's Batman run was a contrived, convoluted mess.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post May 7th, 2013 11:02 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

If I were to break it down like Digi said, I'd probably separate it in to things like scope, dialogue etc.

Scope would be Morrison. No writer in this day and age thinks on the same level he does, or as abstractly, imo. Honourable mentions would be guys like Mack, or Gaiman.

Dialogue? I'd have to go for someone like Whedon. He's what Bendis should be, in that he writes realistic dialogue without sacrificing characterisation. Honourable mentions would be guys like Morrison, Johns and Gillen.

General storytelling? Guys like Byrne, Claremont back in the day, Johns right now, Morrison too. Jason Aaron when he finds a character that suits him, is awesome.

Revamping/referencing: Johns. I don't think any writer alive can take a stupid concept, or an old concept, and give it a new lick of paint and a modernised spin as well as Johns can. His work on GL alone is indicative of that, imo.

Favourite writers right now? Gillen, Hopeless, Aaron, Johns, Simone.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 7th, 2013 11:42 PM
Ben "cA" Risa
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Morrison's Batman run was a contrived, convoluted mess.

Well not everyone can be a fan I guess...

Old Post May 8th, 2013 02:29 AM
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Well not everyone can be a fan I guess...

Best thing I can say about Morrison's run is that it never made me drop the title... which is more than I can say for Synder.

I'm sure THAT will piss some people off. evil face

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post May 8th, 2013 03:20 AM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
curryman

People are mentioning Whedon when he completely and utterly killed Runaways. He had a good X-Men run and just about everything else he's written has been garbage in my opinion stick out tongue

I'm not seeing any mentions of Remender and while some of his stuff might not be for everyone he's basically one of the two writers that are keeping me in Marvel nowadays.

Jeff Lemire's great but I've found him to be a bit more hit or miss then someone like say, Scott Snyder.

When you bring up I'm not really a fan of his Superboy stuff, at all.

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Best thing I can say about Morrison's run is that it never made me drop the title... which is more than I can say for Synder.

I'm sure THAT will piss some people off. evil face

I'm not familiar with Snyder's stuff really.

Only read Batman (overrated trash imo) and American Vampire (still enjoying this).

I'm surprised you don't like Morrison's New x-men stuff though? As it's basically the only one I've read, outside of the latter New X-Men stuff, where the x-kids felt realistic. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Not enough Wolverine feats?

Old Post May 8th, 2013 08:49 AM
curryman is currently offline Click here to Send curryman a Private Message Find more posts by curryman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

He wasn't included in the poll for good reason, and that is because he was not a very good writer. Co-creating some interesting characters and an interesting setting means little when you cannot tell a particularly interesting story. Try reading some of his older comics, the plots were incredibly simplistic and formulaic and the dialogue was practically infantile. Comics of that time were simply nowhere near the literary medium that they are today.

I'm not sure about that, the original Galactus trilogy (FF #48-50) still holds up well today IMO. It's certainly better than a lot of modern stuff.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post May 8th, 2013 12:35 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

For the current ones i'm rather fond of Jason Aaron.

Old Post May 8th, 2013 12:43 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
curryman

Originally posted by Kazenji
For the current ones i'm rather fond of Jason Aaron.

Depends on what he's writing imo.

His Ghost Rider and X-Men run have been fairly lackluster. I wouldn't even call them bad but we're discussing the absolutely best comics here. His Punisher run was good but both Rucka and Hurwitz blow him out of the water stick out tongue

Imo Scalped is the only comic that lets him compete here.

And I guess someone has to bring up Ennis...

Old Post May 8th, 2013 01:01 PM
curryman is currently offline Click here to Send curryman a Private Message Find more posts by curryman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by curryman

His Ghost Rider have been fairly lackluster.

To hell with you

no expression

Old Post May 8th, 2013 01:02 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Stan Lee's stuff might be dated to read now, but no writer ever changed the industry like he did (though he had lots of assistance from the king, Jack Kirby.)

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post May 8th, 2013 01:08 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Jack Kirby hardly gets mentioned these days when Stan Lee gets brought up, Its always he created all these characters....pretty sure he had from other people.

Old Post May 8th, 2013 01:12 PM
curryman

Originally posted by Kazenji
To hell with you

no expression

Eh, nevermind stick out tongue

I was thinking of road to damnation and Ennis wrote that one.

Though I liked Trail of Tears (Ennis) and the Daniel Ketch mini better than I liked Vicious Cycle and Heaven's on fire smile

Old Post May 8th, 2013 01:14 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Aaron didn't even have anything to do with Vicious Cycle, That was Daniel Way he basically started off that Ghost Rider run and then Jason Aaron took over around issue #20.

Old Post May 8th, 2013 01:18 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Concession accepted. big grin

Because everything on the internet is a competition. Keep trolling...

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post May 8th, 2013 01:40 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote