KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Control - Kendrick Lamar

Control - Kendrick Lamar
Started by: KingD19

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Martin

Disagree. Hov's verses really hit home to me. Flow wise I can see someone giving Em the edge but lyrically those are two of Jay-Z's more impressive verses.

Also, if you listened to those videos I posted objectively then you'd know Kendrick could definitely hold his own.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2013 02:37 AM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheDude666
Rip Guy222

Em outshined Hov on renagade outright.

Also have you heard Kendricks verse on love game? Meh, he was okay, and I enjoyed listening to him, maybe its because he was on an eminem track, i duno lol, but yeah, he done alright there but Em was much much better and imho, his skill is as good as its ever been, i dont understand everyones problem

The thing is, hes a 40 year old guy now, its 2013....like Shady said himself, there are no n'sync and there are no backstreet boys no more for him to call out, he doesnt need to diss his mom, kim or any of his ex's any more because hes matured, and so has his Writing.

People still expect him to be writing and producing shit like 'fack' and there the kind of people who think hes slipping, even though that track was literally a bunch of noise which wasnt takem serious by Em himself. He's a Rap God.
Think about the different categories.....
Lyricism.... Listen to Infinite...i dont think ive ever seen someone rhyme so many multi-syllable words in a single sentence contiually for 3 and a half minutes and give it great subject and matter. His word play is incredible and his lame lines are also still quite amusing like ---"i can piss a happy meal off" lol
story telling --- Stan & lose yourself are easily two of the best story telling songs ive ever heard...slick rick is untouchable in this department though.
Flow ---- near perfect.
Beats --- well recently its gone downhill, but it doesnt bother me cos id rather listen to the writing than a decent beat.
Battle rapping (diss songs) -- ICP, Ja rule, Jermaine, canibus, everlast??? These guys all got destroyed by Em, careers got ended tbh
Freestyling --- well hes brilliant, not the best but its still superb,

Kendrick held his own though, il give him that...but he still cant touch Em imo

Old Post Nov 13th, 2013 07:40 PM
TheDude666 is currently offline Click here to Send TheDude666 a Private Message Find more posts by TheDude666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

I thought Kendrick's verse on Love Game was excellent. If you listen closely it seemed to me he was actually mimicking some of Eminem's earlier flows and sounds.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2013 10:23 AM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

Yeah. His Love Game verse was awesome. And I love the running theme on Sherane being a crazy *****.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2013 10:25 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

quote: (post)
Originally posted by LeonBuco666
Kendrick held his own though, il give him that...but he still cant touch Em imo
Right now? Are you serious? Did you listen to the videos I posted? GKMC/Section 80>>>MMLP 2

Old Post Nov 16th, 2013 11:46 AM
TheDude666
Rip Guy222

Yes im serious, he cant touch eminem.
His line 'thats acronym and a metaphor for ya, i deserve a medal for all the ways i adore ya"
Was brilliant tho, although Em killed that track, Kendrick done alright.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2013 02:05 PM
TheDude666 is currently offline Click here to Send TheDude666 a Private Message Find more posts by TheDude666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

Em had so many corny lines on his last two solo efforts though. If you honestly and objectively listened to those six tracks I posted on the last page.......

Technically, Marshall is still as skilled as ever. But his delivery, production, subject matter, and overall music direction are clearly inferior at this point to Kendrick.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2013 01:14 AM
TheDude666
Rip Guy222

His delivery and his direction are far better than kendricks....Em is superior to Kendrick in all fronts but i do agree that his production & subject matter fall below kendrick nowadays.

I was never expecting Headlights....Not in a million years

Old Post Nov 17th, 2013 01:37 PM
Darth Martin

You just contradicted yourself.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2013 05:50 AM
TheDude666
Rip Guy222

When

Old Post Nov 18th, 2013 07:16 PM
Darth Martin

quote: (post)
Originally posted by LeonBuco666
His delivery and his direction are far better than kendricks....Em is superior to Kendrick in all fronts but i do agree that his production & subject matter fall below kendrick nowadays.

You conclude with Eminem is superior "on all fronts" yet admit K.Dot does some things better.

His delivery is not better. Since the Forever remix Marshall has been screaming on damn near every song and its quite annoying. Before then, he had the damn Arabian accent on Relapse(which I've grown to accept over the screaming anyday). Kendrick's delivery is one of the things what sets him apart from alot of his peers.

Which direction are you referring to? I'm talking about musical direction. Kendrick produces cohesive, concept albums which have been hailed(for the most part) by critics and fans alike as original and refreshing. The last one, GKMC, was pretty much declared an instant modern classic upon its release.

You don't hear him doing corny lines, making wack songs, etc. He's clearly just a better artist at the moment. It's his era. Nothing to be ashamed of. Eminem is still my all-time favorite emcee and in his prime (99-02) anyone would be hardpressed to match him. But right now, despite technically being as impressive as ever from a skill standpoint(rhyme schemes, multis, etc.), he's clearly not making music up to par with his earlier self.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2013 12:34 AM
TheDude666
Rip Guy222

Yes, I know he isnt I never said he was better now than his was in his prime 96-02
Relapse was absolutely fantastic, IMO better than anything K.Dot has done.... Im sorry but i guess its just your own opinion, which differs greatly from mine.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2013 03:09 AM
Darth Martin

Section 80/GKMC>Relapse.

Nice try, though. Relapse is criminally underrated and one of the better albums to release the last few years.

Last edited by Darth Martin on Nov 23rd, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2013 10:23 AM
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

It seems that you're willfully ignoring Kendrick's skills in an effort to downplay him. I'm not saying that's what you're actually doing. But for someone who said he's listened to the stuff we've talked about, and for you to still claim he's not that good. You've got to either be not hearing it or something like that.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2013 10:59 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheDude666
Rip Guy222

I blatantly said before hes good, just not as anywhere good as Em now, or 10 years ago.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2013 01:41 AM
Darth Martin

Have you listened to Section 80 or GKMC?

Old Post Nov 25th, 2013 10:07 PM