KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Supernova goes off, what happens?

Supernova goes off, what happens?
Started by: Rao Kal El

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BruhMan
World Champion

One thing that helps the suspension of disbelief is just remembering the comics are in different realities. They may have differnent laws of physics. Important factors may be different by just .0000000000000001 digit which could change a lot.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 03:28 AM
BruhMan is currently offline Click here to Send BruhMan a Private Message Find more posts by BruhMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cogito

Woah woah woah, let's not go throwing off h1's mathematical calculations with differing physics here

"And then there was nothing. A once broken something now void.
And on the first day, Doom spoke...
'Be.'
And then there was life."

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 03:40 AM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Colossus-Big C
Restricted

Account Restricted

i doubt our sun is that big. its exagerrated

I have returned

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 04:06 AM
Colossus-Big C is currently offline Click here to Send Colossus-Big C a Private Message Find more posts by Colossus-Big C Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

I doubt we even have a sun, tbh.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 04:10 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carver9

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
I would like to point out that Supes never took a 50x supernova to the face:
http://i.imgur.com/asxKmH4.jpg
The absolute most you could argue is that he withstood the electromagnetic shockwave generated by the explosion-- but the radiation itself(the particularly dangerous part of the blast) never actually touched him before he was saved. If it had, Supes would have been "incinerated."

That said, I do believe he can survive a supernova. He's certainly not going to tank it, mind you... But he would survive.

_______

As for Torch, it's like others have said: the heat wouldn't hurt him(he's withstood Planck temperature, after all), but the shockwaves/planetary debris and so forth would probably kill him.

thumb up

Exactly. It even states in the scan that the shockwaves hit him.

On ignore list: Darksaint and Stilt

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 04:14 AM
carver9 is currently offline Click here to Send carver9 a Private Message Find more posts by carver9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Originally posted by carver9
thumb up

Exactly. It even states in the scan that the shockwaves hit him.

The shockwaves never hit him. The blast did though.

(please log in to view the image)

He was at the center of the blast and it blasted him away.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 04:27 AM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carver9

Gotcha...since the blast hit Superman, why would the writer include this sentence..."the electromagnetic shockwaves came rushing at Superman"? Why bring this up if Superman was hit by the initial blast?

On ignore list: Darksaint and Stilt

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 04:32 AM
carver9 is currently offline Click here to Send carver9 a Private Message Find more posts by carver9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Originally posted by carver9
Gotcha...since the blast hit Superman, why would the writer include this sentence..."the electromagnetic shockwaves came rushing at Superman"? Why bring this up if Superman was hit by the initial blast?

Who knows? Its Mcduffie after all.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 04:45 AM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus

Yeah, it always made me lol how people came to the conclusion Superman was hit by the explosion as the scan very clearly says otherwise.

Superman tossed the bomb into the Sun-Eater and that's where the feat ended. It very clearly says that the electromagnetic shock wave (Most likely the flash of light we see) was rushing toward him followed by the radiation that would incinerate him if he was caught. We even have visual cues with the event expanding from the yellow core of the Sun Eater that Superman wasn't in.

Last edited by Rage.Of.Olympus on Dec 13th, 2013 at 04:59 AM

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 04:54 AM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

laughing out loud @ Rage being butthurt again. Even carver accepted that superman was hit by the blast which was depicted in the scan as he was at the center of the sun eater. But for rage that's obviously not enough.

laughing out loud

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 05:02 AM
ShadowFyre

Originally posted by JakeTheBank

Im still laughing. Shit made me spit out my beer.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 05:18 AM
ShadowFyre is currently offline Click here to Send ShadowFyre a Private Message Find more posts by ShadowFyre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zopzop
Lord of the Great Abyss

Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
i doubt our sun is that big. its exagerrated
Originally posted by JakeTheBank

ROFLMMFAO. rolling on floor laughing
Originally posted by ShadowFyre
Im still laughing. Shit made me spit out my beer.

Thank God you quoted JtB, I almost missed that little exchange.

Colossus Big C is a forum gem!

..even the outer hells are indifferent matters for they bow only to potent and archaic Nodens.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 06:28 AM
zopzop is currently offline Click here to Send zopzop a Private Message Find more posts by zopzop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Prof. T.C McAbe
Kryptonian Scientist

He tanked the explosion, you see him being blasted away... he wasn't hit by the schockwave. Whatever. Way to lowball him...

Sig made by my mate, the one and only One_Angry_Scot

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 07:04 AM
Prof. T.C McAbe is currently offline Click here to Send Prof. T.C McAbe a Private Message Find more posts by Prof. T.C McAbe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

I'm like 95 percent sure it is impossible to be hit by an explosion and not get hit by the shockwave seeing as the shockwave is the (temporary) fastest moving part of the explosion, besides the blast wave, but I don't know if blast waves are possible in space seeing as it's the air around the kablooey...

The shockwave hit him and threw him back. The "explosion" was the radiation behind it. He tanked the shockwave and got the shit out of the way of the explosion. Either that or the explosion blew a line of radiation in front of it.

For a small scale example of the bomb in action:

As you can see the actual explosion is rather contained for lack of a better word, while the shockwave goes way the shit beyond that at far greater speeds.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 08:00 AM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

^ not sure about supernovas but for nuclear/thermonuclear explosions the initial damage is caused by the flash, all but instantly released by the rapid release of particles during fission/fusion. the over-pressure wave comes after bringing the fireball with it

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 08:06 AM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Originally posted by psycho gundam
^ not sure about supernovas but for nuclear/thermonuclear explosions the initial damage is caused by the flash, all but instantly released by the rapid release of particles during fission/fusion. the over-pressure wave comes after bringing the fireball with it
I don't know a lot about nukes, but it looks like that step was skipped entirely in favor of shockwaves. I imagine a nuke would be sexy in high speed

Though the initial damage isn't equal to the actual kablamo in the middle, it just moves a shitload farther. Ie Superman didn't tank 50 Supernovas, just the shockwave of one. Still impressive though.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 08:22 AM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Magnon

They all die instantly. The power released in a supernova is absolutely ridiculous, orders and orders of magnitude above what any of them could possibly survive.

A nuclear bomb would at least hurt all the characters in the list. A supernova, which is MILLIONS of times more powerful than the power output of a steady-state star, will just clean the table instantly.

The story arc "Infinity Crusade" did justice to the effects of the Sun going nova (not supernova, since its mass is not high enough). Hulk, Thor, Drax, Thanos, ... all got easily killed. (It turned out to be just a vision, created by Adam Warlock with the Cosmic Egg, of what would happen if the Goddess' plan went through, but there is no reason to doubt the portrayal of the effect.)

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 09:01 AM
Magnon is currently offline Click here to Send Magnon a Private Message Find more posts by Magnon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
pym-ftw
Mizukage

Pressure of a Singularity >>> Force wave of a Supernova

They can all tank that, except Johnny

The radiation is pretty null for these characters. An argument could be made that rapidly cooling solar energy would blue-shift to red and weaken superman, but technically it would most likely need to be a blue star to go "supernova" in the first place.

Now the heat could hurt them but realistically all of these characters have faced hotter, like sustainable lightning...

I'm not Joking, Boy
Ignore list: Abhi for the sake of the forum.
53>6.6
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GCAMfDmX86o
My YouTube

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 09:46 AM
pym-ftw is currently offline Click here to Send pym-ftw a Private Message Find more posts by pym-ftw Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by abhilegend
That sun eater had absorbed energy of several suns and it all imploded as he was at the center of sun eater. It was more than a sun getting supernova.

Still, you could fit hundreds of our suns into the type of star that goes supernova, sometimes more.

And the Suneater would've presumably digested and used up a lot of the energy from the prior suns too, but even if it didn't, well, Supernovae are just that big.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 11:05 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

Even if We decide to believe that he only got hit with the electromagnetic shockwave of the explosion is an ubber feat.

The electromagnetic shockwave of a nova is what makes a sun to collapse.

This is an explosion of a super nova and not only that but is a super nova x 50 so the electro magnetic shockwave it will be according to the size of the explosion.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...ckermann1HR.jpg

I think this is one of his ubber feats, but still dwarfed by the sun eater

Thank You Prof. T.C McAbe, You are Superman!

Last edited by Rao Kal El on Dec 13th, 2013 at 02:01 PM

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 01:54 PM
Rao Kal El is currently offline Click here to Send Rao Kal El a Private Message Find more posts by Rao Kal El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote