KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Superman heat vision vs Thor lightning

Superman heat vision vs Thor lightning
Started by: carver9

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
One Big Mob
Dead

Lightning is blunt force trauma. When you think of lightning you think of it in the same vein as a baseball bat

Old Post May 10th, 2015 03:21 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Yup. A baseball bat never strikes twice.

Old Post May 10th, 2015 03:38 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Lightning isn't really blunt force (though it can seem like it). At 50,000oF (5x hotter than the surface of the sun), it can cause explosive vaporization of material, though typically it will flow (conduct) through matter, burning it along the way. Eg, people. AFAIK, no one's ever been pounded into the ground, blown into the air, or thrown sideways by lightning (at least not on youtube). When people drop from a lightning strike, it's from being stunned/knocked unconscious by the tremendous electrical current surging through them, disrupting the body's bioelectric flow. The lightning is not physically smashing the person to the ground.

Thunder, OTOH, can be concussive. These are sound waves from superfast expansion of the air caused by lightning's heat. It's essentially a shock wave.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Last edited by Mindship on May 10th, 2015 at 05:30 PM

Old Post May 10th, 2015 05:25 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Nice distinction.

Old Post May 11th, 2015 10:31 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

quote: (post)
Originally posted by h1a8
lightning is blunt force and hv Is pure heat (no blunt forces when written well). Both have their advantages. But the hv has the best chance to cause damage against a very durable opponent.
If you are subjectively deciding what counts and what doesn't you're being based and not objective.

Old Post May 11th, 2015 02:33 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
h1a8

Originally posted by Mindship
Lightning isn't really blunt force (though it can seem like it). At 50,000oF (5x hotter than the surface of the sun), it can cause explosive vaporization of material, though typically it will flow (conduct) through matter, burning it along the way. Eg, people. AFAIK, no one's ever been pounded into the ground, blown into the air, or thrown sideways by lightning (at least not on youtube). When people drop from a lightning strike, it's from being stunned/knocked unconscious by the tremendous electrical current surging through them, disrupting the body's bioelectric flow. The lightning is not physically smashing the person to the ground.

Thunder, OTOH, can be concussive. These are sound waves from superfast expansion of the air caused by lightning's heat. It's essentially a shock wave.
lightning is the flow of electrons. Electrons have mass. Thus lightning is concussive. Lightning also has burning properties. But guess what? People hardly get burned very badly from being struck. So saying that lightning is hotter than the sun is misleading as it doesn't translate at all to its victims.

-General Zod: Superman II

Old Post May 11th, 2015 05:06 PM
h1a8 is currently offline Click here to Send h1a8 a Private Message Find more posts by h1a8 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

lightning is the flow of electrons. Electrons have mass. Thus lightning is concussive. Lightning also has burning properties. But guess what? People hardly get burned very badly from being struck. So saying that lightning is hotter than the sun is misleading as it doesn't translate at all to its victims.

HV would have radiation pressure, doe. So it would be concussive.

Lightning DOES transfer heat; it's how fulgurite is formed.

Old Post May 11th, 2015 05:25 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Does anyone have a grade school science book they can loan h1? He appears to need it.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post May 11th, 2015 05:30 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Originally posted by Silent Master
Does anyone have a grade school science book they can loan h1? He appears to need it.
All he needs to do is watch Supernatural. Guy's never heard of fulgurite but it will be funny when he acts like he does

I'm curious how he reasons that people have survived a 3rd of lightspeed blunt attack from lightning though.
Giant baseball bat moving at high speeds

Last edited by One Big Mob on May 11th, 2015 at 05:46 PM

Old Post May 11th, 2015 05:36 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
h1a8

Originally posted by DarkSaint85
HV would have radiation pressure, doe. So it would be concussive.

Lightning DOES transfer heat; it's how fulgurite is formed.
did you read my post well? I mentioned that lightning has burning properties in the very beginning. That means it transfers heat. I'm talking about the heat of being hotter than the sun doesn't quite transfer into someone like it sounds. Otherwise a person would be vaporized instantly. My point is that the comment is misleading and makes people think that lightning is so hot that it will vaporized anything upon contact. Humans survived many times without even being badly burned. (They were burned though). Bran is speaking in parables again. Who understands his weird sarcasm? It's like he's speaking a different language.

Old Post May 11th, 2015 06:10 PM
h1a8 is currently offline Click here to Send h1a8 a Private Message Find more posts by h1a8 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celeyhyga17
Yawning Void

Real world science aside, why don't we rely more on comic showings? Does the hv have anything that tops the post by Igniz?

Old Post May 11th, 2015 06:14 PM
celeyhyga17 is currently offline Click here to Send celeyhyga17 a Private Message Find more posts by celeyhyga17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

Wait so you're ignoring my point about HV having concussive properties?

Old Post May 11th, 2015 06:59 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raisen

There will never be a satisfactory ending to this and abhi, bw, and h1 will ensure its excruciating

Old Post May 11th, 2015 07:02 PM
Raisen is currently offline Click here to Send Raisen a Private Message Find more posts by Raisen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Lightning doesn't vaporize people because it flows through them too fast. The primary effect from being hit is typically closer to electrocution, which is not a concussive effect. "Shocking," sure, but not like a shock wave.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post May 11th, 2015 08:55 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
h1a8

Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Wait so you're ignoring my point about HV having concussive properties?
You are assuming that hv is part of the electromagnetic spectrum. Even if it is then radiation pressure is merely a massless force, like the electromagnetic for is, just weaker. In no way is it the same as getting hit by an object of mass (blunt force).

Old Post May 11th, 2015 09:02 PM
DarkSaint85

I assume it has light,yes, which is part of the EM spectrum.

I assume it has heat, yes, which is infra red, also part of the EM spectruum.

I can see once more that you are too stubborn to admit you were wrong. Read my post properly. I said it would have concussive force. Never once did mass come into it.

Old Post May 11th, 2015 09:21 PM
Stoic
Avenger

There's this great web site called "How Stuff Works" You guys should give it a once over. Now like Celey was saying, we should move away from the real world physics debate and get back to feats. Thor's lighting isn't the same as real world lightning, it's magical.

Old Post May 12th, 2015 01:47 AM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by Raisen
There will never be a satisfactory ending to this and abhi, bw, and h1 will ensure its excruciating

eek!

Old Post May 12th, 2015 02:50 AM
Uriel005

Time for reflecting on the nature of the universe... Why do electrons have mass? Why doe electrons act like a wave when being unobserved but as a particle when interacting with light? Could you bypass an event horizon directly into a singularity using a theoretical alcubbierre drive to expand space and contract it to the point that you simply instantaneously arrive at the singularity? These questions need answers and it is up to you fine gentlemen to find them.

Old Post May 12th, 2015 03:19 AM
Uriel005 is currently offline Click here to Send Uriel005 a Private Message Find more posts by Uriel005 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Thankfully i'm not a gentleman so i dont have to do this homework assignment.

Old Post May 12th, 2015 09:58 AM