KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Exar Kun vs. Palpatine

Exar Kun vs. Palpatine
Started by: The Merchant

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (44): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

On the subject of the Dark Side Sourcebook - if Nai's reference was to the quote from the Dark Empire Sourcebook from 1993, then yeah, it's an older source without regard for most modern Sith.

However, the quote regardless operates under the consideration of prior events, which, while not fleshed out at the time, would've still been considered. Unless there's an explicit contradiction to the quote, it applies regardless. And there is no contradiction, since Exar Kun's quote of supremacy has now been retconned to applying only up to his own time, not beyond.

Last edited by SunRazer on Jul 8th, 2015 at 12:37 AM

Old Post Jul 8th, 2015 12:28 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Angelalex242

Somebody's seriously arguing for Kun?

How silly.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2015 01:00 AM
Click here to Send Angelalex242 a Private Message Find more posts by Angelalex242 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fated Xtasy
Kami

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nai
What lightsaber accomplishments exactly?

I don't see many "lightsaber based" feats for Sidious.

His fight against Maul and Savage is certainly impressive. Yet, he defeats them with pretty much force powers only, instead of outduelling hin. Sure. He was capable of holding his own against the duo, but so was Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Didn't Mr. Filoni, the new head of canon, state that Sidious was toying with the duo?

Disregard that if you like, there's a reason many are still debating whether or not Sidious was toying with them. Still, you can't deny that it would be rather easy for Sheev to take on Maul when Sidious knows his combat style and form in and out.

quote:
When he manages to defeat the three masters coming to arrest him, he probably hindered them through the force, disabling their defense. In the RotS novel, he outright distracts them before starting a concealed attack,

He only took advantage of Saesee Tiin's attempt to read his mind then began his attack afterwards, although i'm not entirely sure if i'm correct.

quote:
in the movie, they don't move at all, despite Sidious making a comment after igniting his lightsaber, which kind of overwrites that idea that he "blitzed" them.

Couldn't that be because he was too fast for the Masters?

quote:
Then he fights Mace, and is disarmed. "Wins" through the intervention of Anakin. And it's made pretty obvious, that he couldn't overcome the swordplay of Windu before. Now you may want to consider, that Mace, quite clearly, is no match for Sidious in terms of force abilities. He just manages to overcome the Sith Lord with pure fighting skill and a unique ability (Shatterpoint), but even his skill alone was enough to reach a stalemate with the Sith Lord.

First off, i want to state that i have yet to reach a conclusion of what I think happened or didn't happen in that fight. So i can't agree or disagree.

That said, you're forgetting that Mace Windu's mastery of Vaapad would grant Mace a significant edge.

quote:
Now imagine what would happen if somebody closer to Sidious in terms of power and with a better lightsaber skill faces the Sith Lord.

Except that, Kun isn't that powerful when compared to Sidious nor is he on the same level as Yoda. I have not seen something that shows me that Exar is on par with Yoda.

quote:
Or stop imagining this, because we know what happend from his fight with Yoda. Despite constantly fighting from a position of advantage, Sidious - if we can trust the RotS script - is disarmed by the Jedi Master in less than a minute. And if that is the case, Yoda is head and shoulders above Sidious when it comes to lightsaber fights.

But, isn't that debatable? after all Sidious has many quotes calling him a masterful user of the blade, I've seen a user provide the quote, but i don't seem to remember which thread they posted the quote in.

quote:
Then you need to consider the fact, that Sidious did never focus on "direct combat". He's the epitome of cunning, stealth and manipulation, but clearly not the type of character that seeks direct combat. Instead, he tries to avoid it whenever he can. Unlike Kun, who is shown to focus on nothing but superiority in combat through the entirety of his career, starting with his sparing fight against Vodo, continueing in his duel with Ulic and ending with the defeat of his master in a lightsaber duel.

Perhaps, Sidious' main focus is not in direct combat, but he's not one to shy away from it either, as i stated before, Sidious and Yoda are among the top duelists of their respective eras.

The argument can be made for Kun that he, too, is the top "dog" of his era. But, i counter with this.

"What other notable duelists lived at that time?"

quote:
So one might ask, who is better suited for a lightsaber duel. The guy who focused on the discipline, even going so far, that he came up with a unique weapon and a unique fighting style to use it or the guy that saw direct combat as a matter of last resort? If Sidious has to deal with an opponent that he doesn't eclipse in terms of force powers, I don't see him winning a lightsaber duel, since he relies so much on the force instead of just "technique" - and I'm rather certain, that Exar Kun is more in a league with Sidious than Mace Windu was, when it comes to force powers - while probably having a similar talent for bladework in comparison to Mace (a view that can be questioned of course).

That's a good point, however i feel that you seem to forget that Sidious trained Maul in the saber-staff style and in several forms of combat, to the point where Maul became the most highly trained & skilled sith in history, meaning that Sidious' focus on combat isn't as ..."lax"? as you presume.

But, in all honesty, you do make a lot of good points, Nai. thumb up

Old Post Jul 8th, 2015 01:06 AM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sinious
Yo Da Best

Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
Couldn't that be because he was too fast for the Masters?

Of course its because he was too fast for the Masters. laughing

I've tried to approach Nai's arguments objectively but they're laughable at this point.

Sidious arguably has the best saber feats in the mythos and unlike some of the other top duelists, his showings are very consistent.

"That is why you fail."

Old Post Jul 8th, 2015 01:29 AM
Click here to Send Sinious a Private Message Find more posts by Sinious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
Didn't Mr. Filoni, the new head of canon, state that Sidious was toying with the duo?

No.

But the official site mentions he toyed with Maul at the end. Of course that could just be referring to the part when he was tossing Maul around with the Force.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2015 03:21 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Yeah, Filoni states that he was enjoying himself and that the duo couldn't offer him a real fight if he went all-out. I posted that last page.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2015 04:55 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

@Nargaroth, no most of Exar Kun's living feats are not on Yavin IV, that's blatantly wrong.

Sidious wins regardless however, anyone arguing otherwise is delusional.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2015 05:02 AM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Even if Sidious is the most powerful, that doesn't mean he wins.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2015 09:57 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nargaroth

Originally posted by AncientPower
@Nargaroth, no most of Exar Kun's living feats are not on Yavin IV, that's blatantly wrong.

Sidious wins regardless however, anyone arguing otherwise is delusional.

Let's clarify that I was referring to most his Force feats, not his saber feats. To my memory, his only unamped feats are blasting Aleema Keto into unconsciousness, and hypnotizing the senate. If you have something else, please enlighten me.

Darth Vader Respect Thread (Part 3)
--
¦ Other Respect Threads ¦

Old Post Jul 8th, 2015 10:06 AM
Click here to Send Nargaroth a Private Message Find more posts by Nargaroth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Defensively:
He tanked a starfighter bombing run effortlessly with Force Barrier, he reflected Aleema's attack and last but not least he shrugged off Odan-Urr's Sever Force attack.

Offensively:
He has effortlessly ragdolled powerful Jedi, he froze the 10,000 strong senate effortlessly and stomped Vodo whilst maintaining it, when he reflected Aleema's attack he sent it back so strong she was out for the entirety of the ensuing duel.

Now whilst these are not really feats, I thought I'd enlighten you further:

When Vodo, Nomi and other Jedi 'fought' Ulic on Coruscant they pretty easily defeated him with a Wall of Light that he couldn't escape, when they met Exar Kun however they didn't even try, this is yet another indication that physical Kun is immune to Wall of Light/Sever Force attacks even from the technique's most veteran practitioners.

That further reinforces the statement that Exar Kun is far more powerful than any Jedi in his time, very impressive when you consider the likes of Thon and Arca Jeth, etc..

Every dark side technique that Kyp Durron used in JA Exar Kun taught him, including that black Force Lightning that Luke couldn't defend himself from despite prior learning advanced tutaminis, as well as a spell to render lightsaber crystals useless.

Like I said not exactly feats but just some of the very interesting stuff regarding Kun's powers.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2015 10:29 AM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Not sure if it's so much a matter of Exar being "immune" to the technique as it is him just being more powerful.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2015 10:48 AM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by SunRazer
Yeah, Filoni states that he was enjoying himself and that the duo couldn't offer him a real fight if he went all-out. I posted that last page.

The official site also states Sidious enjoyed his fight against Yoda, so that proves little.

And Filoni said nothing about "IF" he went all out. He never once stated Sidious didn't go all out.

He in fact even compared the fight to the B-Team stating clearly that Opress put up a better fight against Sidious than Tiin, Kolar or Fisto did.

Originally posted by Nephthys

True. Sidious is more powerful than Mace but got beat by him.

Skywalker was more powerful than Kenobi but got beat by him also.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Jul 8th, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Old Post Jul 8th, 2015 10:59 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Originally posted by Darth Thor
The official site also states Sidious enjoyed his fight against Yoda, so that proves little.

And Filoni said nothing about "IF" he went all out. He never once stated Sidious didn't go all out.

He in fact even compared the fight to the B-Team stating clearly that Opress put up a better fight against Sidious than Tiin, Kolar or Fisto did.

True. Sidious is more powerful than Mace but got beat by him.

Skywalker was more powerful than Kenobi but got beat by him also.

1. Maybe so, but it's clear Palpatine didn't go all-out until the end at the novel where he all but speedblitzed Maul, who ended up seeing "more than countless" blades. Coupled with other sources, I think Filoni's quote makes it clear Palpatine wasn't going all-out from the start. In fact, in the show, the reason the brothers even managed to fight Sidious at all is because he let them down from his telekinetic grip. Their two "hits" were absolutely inconsequential to the result of the fight.

2. He never said if he goes all-out, sure, but he states the brothers can't touch Sidious and can't compete with him, and that's presumably referring to an all-out scenario. You're hurting your argument by denying that it's a reference to all-out, because then Filoni would be saying the brothers can't compete with Sidious even if he didn't go all-out.

3. He also thinks any competent Jedi Council Member would easily beat RotJ Luke. Not sure what he thinks of Council Members as a whole, but his mentioning Savage putting up a fight has no relevance as to whether Sidious held back or not. As it is, Sidious held back against Savage based on the novel and Filoni's suggestions, and he didn't against the Jedi Masters.

4. The instances you listed involve circumstances. Kun supporters will need to prove the circumstances of this fight are on his side.

As of yet, Palpatine is more powerful (accolades speak for that, and so do his telekinetic feats of ragdolling Maul/Savage, choking Tyranus across the galaxy, and his Lightning feats of matching Yoda's Absorption and even overpowering it in the novel (in the junior novel, Yoda compares the force of Palpatine's Lightning to hurricanes), as well as reducing Sithspawn to ash and impacting Mace's blade with enough force to bend it back towards him), faster (moving faster than Maul and Anakin can see, matching Yoda in speed), and more skilled (fighting closely with Yoda, outskilling Maul and Savage, fighting an amped Mace to a standstill as per the novel, where Mace won under dubious circumstances).

5. Not that linking to respect threads is infallible, but this would be a solid reference point for Sidious: http://www.comicvine.com/profile/sh...-thread/101088/

For Kun: http://www.comicvine.com/profile/i_...ed-2014/101338/

Last edited by SunRazer on Jul 8th, 2015 at 11:44 AM

Old Post Jul 8th, 2015 11:41 AM
Kotor3

Originally posted by Nephthys
thumb up
Something that is forgotten in this forum. Really as of ROTS how much more powerful could Sidious be than Kun?

The Mace example already proves this point.

This is a great battle.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2015 12:26 PM
Click here to Send Kotor3 a Private Message Find more posts by Kotor3 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

It's not an absolute slaughter by any means, I just haven't seen a convincing case for Kun so far. Kun is still fairly comparable to this version of Palpatine in sheer power, though, but I don't find it reasonable to suggest he's more powerful.

Also, does anybody know where this quote comes from:

"No. Exar Kun, Naga Sadow and the others are on a firmly lower tier than Emperor Palpatine."

Anderson apparently claims that in some Insider source, but "an Insider source" incredibly vague and I have a feeling it might just be made up.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2015 12:30 PM
Kotor3

I think Nai has already presented a strong argument for Kun winning.

As of ROTS Sidious seems to dominate those whom he is superior to by much. Those whom is not superior to by much have a good chance of beating him.

Examples Mace and Yoda.

I place Kun within the same tier as these two. It terms of saber skills and force powers Kun has a good chance of winning this battle. That is my opinion I would say the same for Revan as having a great chance of beating this version of Sidious.

Sidious as of ROTS to me is like a skilled Marital Artists or fighter who is being compared to another Marital Artists who is a professional fighter (Kun due to his fighting experience). Sidious could definitely win but experience is not on his side whereas for Kun it is.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2015 03:27 PM
Click here to Send Kotor3 a Private Message Find more posts by Kotor3 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Hey guys, I've come across an interesting source that should shed a light on the matter:

"Darth Sidious is the most powerful Sith Lord in history. Yes, that means he's more powerful than Exar Kun."
-- The Most Up-To-Date Star Wars Encyclopedia

Also, thanks SunRazer.thumb up The quotes you posted confirm what pretty much all of us already knew: Sidious >>> Bane. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Bane dies.

Last edited by Stigma on Jul 8th, 2015 at 03:55 PM

Old Post Jul 8th, 2015 03:49 PM
Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nargaroth

Originally posted by Stigma
Hey guys, I've come across an interesting source that should shed a light on the matter:

"Darth Sidious is the most powerful Sith Lord in history. Yes, that means he's more powerful than Exar Kun."
-- The Most Up-To-Date Star Wars Encyclopedia

Also, thanks SunRazer.thumb up The quotes you posted confirm what pretty much all of us already knew: Sidious >>> Bane. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Bane dies.

Mmm, I wasn't aware of this source. Are you sure it's official?

--

Old Post Jul 8th, 2015 04:17 PM
Click here to Send Nargaroth a Private Message Find more posts by Nargaroth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Yes, it's legit thumb up

Old Post Jul 8th, 2015 04:19 PM
Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nargaroth

Originally posted by Stigma
Yes, it's legit thumb up

Can't find it. Do you have a link?

--

Old Post Jul 8th, 2015 04:51 PM