In honor of The Force Awakens opening next week, let's reminisce about the series' films so far. List your top six and if you want, explain why:
Here we go...
6) Episode 1: The Phantom Menace - This movie introduced the midichlorians and Jar Jar Binks. Even the epic light sabre fight between Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Darth Maul couldn't erase that.
5) Episode 2: Attack of the Clones - I would have rated this lower than Menace, had it not been for Obi-Wan's story in this being slightly more redeeming than the former's sins. However, the AMAZINGLY bad CGI that was EVERYWHERE in this movie, along with Manakin Skywalkers wooden acting, make this one hard to watch.
4) Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith - This movie is not without it's sins either, but it was a much better film than the 2 that preceded it. Anakin was still cringe-worthy at times, but not as bad. It also featured one of the top 3 light sabre fights in the entire series imo. Some things were a bit forced, but the movie is by far the best of the prequels.
3) Episode 6: Return of the Jedi - While this movie has my all time favorite lightsabre fight (Luke and Darth Vader's final battle), it also unfortunately gave us the Ewoks. But the little fury bastiches weren't enough to derail the movie completely. An awesome space battle at the end with the Emperor and Empire seemingly meeting their demise; this movie had just enough going for it to elevate it beyond prequel ranks.
2) Episode 4: A New Hope - Some would argue this is the best Star Wars film, and that can be argued. This is the film that introduced us to Luke, Obi-Wan, Leia, Darth Vader and of course, Han Solo. It gave us a universe of imagination and took itself seriously enough that we believe it could have existed in a galaxy, far far away.
1) Episode 2: The Empire Strikes Back - This, to me, is the best Star Wars movie. It doesn't have the best of any one thing; in my opinion, it does do EVERYTHING just a little bit better. It improved upon an already great story with tense fights and made us question the fates of all involved. Also, the Vader is Luke's father reveal is still one of the all time most powerful movie revelations. This movie improved upon the already great special effects of the first one, and cemented Star Wars as a legitimate IP instead of a one hit wonder.
What's your rankings?
"MCU's Best Villain....coming soon."
1. Revenge of the Sith - This was a darker Star Wars than any of the others. A feel that I very much enjoyed. The story, characters, and character development...just majestic. The action and especially the epic saber duel between Anakin and Obi Wan were the best in the series. I loved the comedy tid-bits as they didn't feel as stale as the comedy from the other OT and PT films.
2. Attack of the Clones - Really enjoyable story. May be the best story from all 6 films but, as others have pointed out, some of the acting (and, frankly, some of the lines were not the best) holds this back from being the best film. Special Effects, saber duels, colors, creatures, etc. All of it, amazing. Among the very best of what Star Wars has to offer.
3. Return of the Jedi - This was, by far, the best Star Wars film from the OT. Excellent acting, character development, lines, Special Effects, creatures, flora, etc. Great film. Excellent film. But it is held back from being the greatest because of some poor acting at times and cliched and predictable ending. However, it is the ending we all wanted. It was the obvious ending. I also enjoyed the darker elements of this film. As a child, I had lots of merch from this movie. The only other merch I had from Star Wars was the Jawa stuffed animal that had the eyes that lit up.
4. Phantom Menace - Some bland acting and lines in this one prevent it from making the top 3. The first 2 times I saw this film, it was the best Star Wars movie (this was before Attack of the Clones came out). But as I've gotten older, I dropped this one to my #4. Still, amazing special effects, story, saber duels, etc. It was everything I wanted from a Star Wars movie and then some.
5. Star Wars: A New Hope - This was definitely the most fun out of the 6. However, absolutely atrocious acting, at times, and some insufferable characters makes this drop out of the top 3. It had some classic cheesy moments and also some interesting plot introduction to the Force. Jedi were so amazing. This set the foundations for all films to come after and it will always be the film that was the most exciting, the first time I saw it, out of all the others. Nothing will top the first experience with Star Wars like watching a New Hope, for me.
6. Empire Strikes Back - Some irritating and stupid plot points and the worst acting in the whole series keeps this from making the top 3. What further drags this movie down the list is the movie drags on at times. Keep in mind, the first time I saw this, I thought it was the best film ever made. But as I get older and my opinion more refined, I liked this one less and less. But just because this is #6 does not mean I disliked this movie. All of the movies are solid 9s out of 10 in my book. It is just me rating which ones I loved more than the others. Empire Strikes Back had some of the most memorable and iconic moments from all 6 films. And, for me, the one character that really stood out as being very well developed is Lando. Such an excellent character. You hate him but love him. You understand his motivations. You want to hate him for those but you just can't. You just have to like him.
I'm excited for the new Star Wars film. I hope it takes my #1 spot. But I don't have my hopes up that high. If it makes it into #7 slot, but still gets a 9, I'll be happy. Something tells me I should see this film, at least, break the top 5 on the list.
I agree with the reasoning with the first 3 posters lists. Even though they are ranked different. I agree on a lot of their points.
I dont know how I would rank them tbh. I love and hate some of the things they did in the OG trilogy and Prequels evenly.
6. AOTC - The collisseum scene is probably the only redeeming part of the entire movie
5. TPM - That fight, and it not being as bad as AOTC.
4. ROTS - Some decent scenes, even if the final battle had, imo, poor choreography.
3. ANH - Arguably the best of the six. It had its problems, but most of Lucas' insanity was reined in by guys far more experienced than he was.
2. ESB - The most well made of the movies, and Vader really comes in to his own in this movie, imo. Yoda's intro was amazing. Plus, dat Hoth scene.
1. ROTJ - Has, for my money, the single best Star Wars sequence ever (Luke, Vader and Emperor on the Death Star). Everything from the acting to the direction to the music was just on point, and a satisfying ending to the original trilogy.
Also, Ewoks are awesome.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured... the first thought forbidden... the first freedom denied – chains us all irrevocably."
It's hard for me tbh. Don't really like ranking the Original SW against any of it's Sequels/Prequels because that was the movie that started it all (and changed cinema). It was a genius family friendly fantasy/adventure taken to a whole new level.
As for the rest, it's all Star Wars to me. Each one gives us another piece of the jigsaw. Another part of the greatest movie franchise ever made.
For instance A lot of people say ESB is by far the best. But fact is ESB isn't actually a proper movie (or even story) on it's own. It needs ANH and ROTJ to define it, because it's simply a middle chapter.
Anyway if I had to rank the Sequels/Prequels it would be something like this:
2. Sith- (sometimes change my mind and put this on par with Empire. But I think I give Empire the edge most the time).
3. Jedi- (Just slightly behind Sith tbh, but enjoy it as much).
4. Menace (I remember when I first saw it, couldn't get the Duel of the Fates music out of my head. And Jar Jar honestly didn't bother me much).
5. Clones- this one is actually the easiest for me to rank. It's definitely my least favourite. Even though Ewan's performance as Obi-Wan was fantastic (and a massive improvement from Menace), and Christopher Lee brought his usual gravitas, I just felt on the whole it was a filler episode.
Last edited by Darth Thor on Dec 12th, 2015 at 02:01 AM
6. A New Hope- String me up, hate all you want, Episode 4 is the most boring one. Too much expository, Luke is just as whiny as Anakin and the lightsaber fight between Obi Wan and Vader sucked balls.
5. Phantom Menace- Also quite boring with tons of expository and the pod race went overly long and really dragged the film down but at least it had whats tied for the best fight in the series between Darth Maul and the combo of Obi Wan and Qui Gon. Plus it was the first movie to show the Jedi in their prime.
4. Attack of the Clones- As boring and shitty as the love story is, Obi Wans detective story and the final battle that kicks off the Clone Wars added to the coolness of seeing Yoda throw down with Count Dooku saves its rating for me.
3. Empire Strikes Back- nothing really bad to say about this one, its done very well but its just not as well liked as the last two in my list.
2. Return of the Jedi- FINALLY, Luke becomes a badass Jedi! We finally come to the climax with Luke, Vader and the Emperor. The Ewoks sucked but they aren't enough to take away from the coolness that happened in the Emperors throne room that day.
1. Revenge of the Sith- Now I may be a bit biased because I think that Darth Sidious is the greatest character by far in this whole series but this movie takes the top spot because its the darkest, with the most action, the bad guy wins and the emotion the Ewan MacGregor brought to Obi Wan when he had to fight and maim his best friend was gold. Plus it showed what I had always suspected: the Jedi are just as at fault for the Empire as the Sith, they were only human too, they suffered from hubris.
Last edited by relentless1 on Dec 12th, 2015 at 03:58 AM