KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Revan 3.0 vs. Exar Kun

Revan 3.0 vs. Exar Kun
Started by: The Ellimist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (14): « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Just noticed this.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
His triumph over Skywalker came, at large part, due to the aid of the also powerful Kyp Durran

As AP points out, Exar Kun can only access "some" of his powers through vessels like Kyp, and Kyp himself considers his powers to be feeble next to Kun's. Plus it's stated that lifting the Sun Crusher had tired Exar out, and that his spirit form is weaker than his living flesh one. If we combine all of these handicaps together, we can extrapolate that living Exar would be pretty f*cking powerful.

quote:

and the fact he was unleashing powers that Skywalker never trained against.

This is true, although I'm not aware of any evidence that Revan had trained against tendrils either.

quote:

Thanks to Revan's immense knowledge in the dark arts and the fact Kyp Durran won't be helping Exar Kun, he should be fine.

Full power Exar Kun > Spirit Exar, and it's heavily implied that full power Exar > Spirit Kun + Kyp > JA Luke. You could argue that Luke was sort of blindsided by Exar from behind and hadn't faced anything of the sort before, but even taking this into account, Exar was still able to penetrate the defenses of a guy who defeated Palpatine.

In contrast, what has Revan done to compare? Thrown around a strike team consisting of three or so decent Force users and a bunch of fodder?

quote:

A reputation that Revan also had.

A style that is perfect for Revan to defend against.

How so?

Regardless, my point wasn't to leverage the advantages of Kun's style, but rather his feat of inventing a new one in what was at the time an unfamiliar weapon. I don't think Revan has done anything to match that level of technical skill.

quote:

Recognize that Revan has far more impressive combat feats than Exar Kun.

Stalemating Droma and besting Baas with all his power isn't more impressive than beating Darth Malak after running through the greatest gauntlet in the mythos, or defeating "hundreds" of Sith on the nexus of Korriban after fighting two terentatek and the academy headmasters solo.

Beating large numbers of fodder opponents is a good endurance feat but doesn't tell us much about Revan's abilities, beyond that he can take out multiple unnamed sith at a time (Hope Satele can do this). It's not like those hundreds are literally surrounding him.

BTW he had help.

quote:

They're known enough for us to conclude he's the better.

They really aren't. Malak is trash being amped to an unknown extent, and the strike team ultimately beats Revan without suffering any casualties while receiving an unquantified amount of aid from Revan's light side half.

Kun, meanwhile, has defeated a post-DE Luke while weakened and fatigued. That's a tougher foe than anything Revan's gone up against.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2016 11:22 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

quote:
As AP points out,

Never reference Kulvax in your argument, even if you agree with her. It diminishes its credibility.

quote:
Exar Kun can only access "some" of his powers through vessels like Kyp, and Kyp himself considers his powers to be feeble next to Kun's.

I'm assuming you're referring to the following quote:

"He reached out with his mind, following the paths of the Force that led to every object in the universe, drawing power from the cosmic focal point of the Massassi temple. He searched, sending his thoughts like a probe deep into the storm systems of the gas giant. Behind him, Kype felt the black-ice power of Exar Kun arise, tapping into him and reinforcing his abilities. His own feeble exploratory touch suddenly plunged forward like a blaster bolt. Kyp felt larger, a part of the jungle moon, then a part of the entire planetary system, until he burrowed into the heart of the gas giant itself.

Pale orange clouds whipped past him. He sensed pressure increasing as he plummeted down, down to the incredibly dense layers near the core. He sought the tiny speck of machinery, a small, indestructible ship that had been cast away. When he reached the bottommost levels of the atmosphere, Kyp finally found the Sun Crusher. It stood out like a beacon, a bull’s-eye in the funneling field of lines of the Force. Size matters not, Master Skwalker had repeated. Kyp engulfed the Sun Crusher with his mind, surrounding it, touching it with his limitless, invisible hands. He thought about heaving it back up, dragging the Sun Crusher out of the depths of Yavin. But he discarded the thought.

Instead, with the assistance of Exar Kun, he used his innate skill to power up the controls again, to move the control levers, push buttons to alter the course stored in the Sun Crusher’s memory, bringing it out of its entombment. Kyp continued to watch the weapon’s progress, focusing on the sphere of the enormous planet as it crested the misty treetops. The Sun Crusher appeared as a silvery dot, seeming no larger than an atom as it emerged from the highest cloud layers and streaked across space toward the emerald-green moon where Kyp waited."

I'd like to reference the red text, which makes me to believe that Exar Kun is rather instead locking hidden power deep within Kyp Durron, thus allowing him to heighten his powers to ways that made his old self look "feeble." There is a clear distinction between that, and then him declaring his power to be feeble next to Exar Kun, which it appears you are trying to argue.

quote:
Plus it's stated that lifting the Sun Crusher had tired Exar out, and that his spirit form is weaker than his living flesh one. If we combine all of these handicaps together, we can extrapolate that living Exar would be pretty f*cking powerful.

While later in the thread you are dismissing Darth Malak's amp and the aid of Revan's Spirit because it's "unquantifiable" and "unknown," you seem to be ignoring your own words and labeling Exar Kun as immensely weakened when we don't know to which extent. Though, it doesn't really matter, because it was not necessarily Exar Kun's power that overwhelmed Luke Skywalker, but, like I said, that he was unleashing techniques that the Jedi had no way to defend against. Even the weakest illnesses can be lethal if you don't have any way to stop it.

quote:
This is true, although I'm not aware of any evidence that Revan had trained against tendrils either.

Revan's knowledge of Sith sorcery stretched across "a planet-size archive of Sith knowledge" on Malachor V, expeditions to Korriban, Nathema, and Yavin IV, and "centuries of knowledge" from Vitiate's mind. Given he was able to create the thought bomb and other immensely powerful rituals, along with the fact he could create dark side aberrations, which seem to be similar in nature to tendrils since they are both physical manifestations of dark side energy controlled by his will, the likelihood of Revan being familiar with the technique is very high, and even if not, Teleportation should allow him to move out of harm's way.

quote:
Full power Exar Kun > Spirit Exar, and it's heavily implied that full power Exar > Spirit Kun + Kyp > JA Luke. You could argue that Luke was sort of blindsided by Exar from behind and hadn't faced anything of the sort before, but even taking this into account, Exar was still able to penetrate the defenses of a guy who defeated Palpatine.

No, it's not implied that. Anyway, again, Exar Kun was able to penetrate Luke Skywalker's defenses because he had no defense to call upon for his attacks. You even admit that in your post. In contrast, Palpatine simply assaulted him with his lightsaber, Telekinesis, and Force Lightning, if even, which Luke Skywalker knew how to defend against.

quote:
In contrast, what has Revan done to compare? Thrown around a strike team consisting of three or so decent Force users and a bunch of fodder?

As I already mentioned in either this thread of another, with the aid of Malachor V, he used the Force to influence the minds of the thousands (perhaps tens of thousands) on orbit around him, turning the tide of the battle against the Mandalorians and corrupting the minds of his allies, turning them toward the dark side and making them swear allegiance to him. He had since became "far more powerful." And while there's a lot of other great feats, I'd like to call back to the coalition feat since I think you are downplaying it. Darth Marr and Satele Shan are far more powerful than just "decent." For example, Darth Marr completely dominated Darth Lachris, who in return challenged a Jedi who performed the following feats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5IwR52UPB4&t=4m30s and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5I...99&t=11m40s . He was capable of instantly overwhelming her with telekinesis and then later rendered her unconscious with white Force Lightning. It's also worth mentioning that a comic suggests that Darth Marr's lightning was powerful enough to destroy Teneb Kel, who could perform stunts like this: http://static7.comicvine.com/upload...ing+%283%29.jpg . And then Satele Shan is capable of absorbing lightsaber blows with her bare hands, ripping through large doors with just hand, conjuring Force Barriers great enough to deflect anything hex droids could unleash, etc. They're both among the greatest of an era with thousands upon thousands of Jedi and Sith. The fact Revan is completely ripping through them both, and others, ragdolling them around before pinning them against a pillar and making them unable to move or even call upon the Force, is absurdly impressive and is greater than anything Exar Kun has shown, in all honesty. It's a direct display of complete domination. In contrast, Exar Kun's is primarily that of Force mastery and understanding on rare techniques, which we know Revan already has in excess.

quote:
How so?

The Mandalorians, Echani, Rakata, Jedi, and Sith all respected him as the greatest warrior of the age, even as he massacred them.

That qualifies as him being an "elite duelist." erm

quote:
Regardless, my point wasn't to leverage the advantages of Kun's style, but rather his feat of inventing a new one in what was at the time an unfamiliar weapon. I don't think Revan has done anything to match that level of technical skill.

According to The Jedi Path, almost all powerful Masters develop their own style based on preexisting techniques, which is basically what Exar Kun did. He also added new and unique elements, but it's not like other Jedi and Sith haven't done that as well. That's not to say what Exar Kun did wasn't immensely impressive, but reinventing a weapon (the saberstaff can date as far back as King Adas) and forming a style that comes with it should not, nor will not, be the determining factor of this fight when the style he chose to adopt alongside the weapon is, life I said, perfect for Revan. Unlike the other Jedi in the era, double-bladed lightsabers, including those that change blade length and intensity, are very prevalent in the Jedi Civil Wars. Another key part of his style is Trakata, which Revan has mastery in given he learned everything Kreia knew, which includes Trakata according to the KotOR Campaign Guide, and also has his Battle Precognotion which will allow him to basically fight in the future.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post May 1st, 2016 01:05 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

quote:
Beating large numbers of fodder opponents is a good endurance feat but doesn't tell us much about Revan's abilities, beyond that he can take out multiple unnamed sith at a time (Hope Satele can do this). It's not like those hundreds are literally surrounding him.

BTW he had help.

It shows that Revan is a dominating combatant with consistent skills and great defenses. Jedi during the Clone Wars required armies of clone troopers to fight battle droids - Revan would have conquered worlds alone, as Darth Malgus states before the assault on the Foundry. And in particular, I mainly reference this because he did this gauntlet right before fighting Darth Malak. Also, the aid of two companions won't have any large influence on Revan fighting scores of Sith. And he had no help against the two terentatek and the academy headmasters.

quote:
Malak is trash being amped to an unknown extent

What? Darth Malak's been labeled as among the most powerful Sith Lords in history, and unlike the quotes with Kit Fisto and such referring to their dueling skills, is listed directly alongside Darth Sidious, Darth Vader, etc. He was capable of dominating Bastila Shan in a gesture, and then later beat her again in under twenty seconds. Note that the only source discussing her power puts her alongside Dooku and Obi-Wan Kenobi. While I personally don't agree with the source, the massive praise is clearly there. He was also able to conceal mass ripples in the Force from being felt, and then instead simply his thoughts and moving presence caused disturbances in the Force that could be felt from sectors away. His battlefield accomplishments were said to have been just as important to the Mandalorian defeat as Revan's tactics, and when Cay Qel-Droma had a vision of the future, he remarked after seeing Darth Malak that "Sith so powerful... I... I'm scared."

And then, let's bring in the amp. He was said to have wielded "extraordinary dark side Force powers" and was "nearly unstoppable." We see him being capable of ragdolling Jedi, instantly killing them with Force Lightning, and utilizing Force Drain in the midst of combat. With the power of the Star Forge at his disposal, he's an absolute powerhouse. And then given Revan just fought through an army of Sith war droids, and then an army of Sith, and then Bastila Shan, and then the Star Forge's infinite army, he's certainly not in best shape. Also, Bastila Shan, through his bond, is calling strength from him into herself, given she needs it to resist the taint of the dark side present on the Star Forge so she can use Battle Meditation effectively. This feat is certainly beyond Exar Kun stalemating Ulic Qel-Droma or overcoming Vodo-Siosk Baas after throwing out all his tricks and powers.

quote:
and the strike team ultimately beats Revan without suffering any casualties while receiving an unquantified amount of aid from Revan's light side half.

Eight soldiers were killed during the battle, actually. And again, the lack of more causalities is due to Spirit Revan, who, due to his actions, allowed the protagonists to free them all from Revan's telekinetic hold. The game specifically made note that all the characters were being "destroyed" by Revan and, reversely, that Revan was "destroying all." And because of such, the extent and impact of his aid is clear and great.

quote:
Kun, meanwhile, has defeated a post-DE Luke while weakened and fatigued. That's a tougher foe than anything Revan's gone up against.

Even ignoring the fact that Desann isn't even more powerful than "most Jedi Masters," and yet was still able to throw "post-DE Luke" onto the ground, and then leave him for dead after collapsing a massive structure on him, the circumstances behind Luke Skywalker's defeat must be considered. And when they are, it's not more impressive than what Revan brings to the table.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post May 1st, 2016 01:05 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

I'll respond when I'm not on my phone, but I'm assuming you don't take Kreia's "the ancient sith make us look like toys" claim seriously.

Old Post May 1st, 2016 01:14 AM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Nah, the claim was confirmed to be factual by Avellone.

”You presume limits to my power. There are none.”

Old Post May 1st, 2016 01:15 AM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

She's referring to the era of Tulak Hord, which is far, far removed from Exar Kun.

Chris Avellone has stated that Revan is up with the guys she's referring to anyway.

Old Post May 1st, 2016 01:16 AM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

So the triumvirate is trash next to Revan? Good to know.

Edit: before Ant edited in Tulak, but I'm pretty sure Exar has a GOAT accolade that would put him above previous sith. Did Hord come before Kun? Idk these eras

Old Post May 1st, 2016 01:17 AM
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Yeah. Except for Nihilus, who Traya states may very well rival the ancients.

Old Post May 1st, 2016 01:18 AM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Oh, well I guess it doesn't mean much except that Traya and Sion are trash, which we already knew lol

Old Post May 1st, 2016 01:20 AM
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

thumb up

Old Post May 1st, 2016 01:21 AM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

I'm rushing this, so perhaps it won't be the most rhetorically pleasing reply.

quote:

I'm assuming you're referring to the following quote:

Also this:

Exar Kun himself possessed a great many other dark powers that he was unable to harness without the energy he needed to fuel his disembodied will. Some of these powers he was able to channel through Kyp, Gantoris, and Streen to achieve his ends.
- The Jedi Academy Sourcebook

.ie, Kun channeling Kyp can only replicate some of the powers that he had when he was living.

quote:

While later in the thread you are dismissing Darth Malak's amp and the aid of Revan's Spirit because it's "unquantifiable" and "unknown," you seem to be ignoring your own words and labeling Exar Kun as immensely weakened when we don't know to which extent. Though, it doesn't really matter, because it was not necessarily Exar Kun's power that overwhelmed Luke Skywalker, but, like I said, that he was unleashing techniques that the Jedi had no way to defend against. Even the weakest illnesses can be lethal if you don't have any way to stop it.

There's usually a limit to how much esoteric powers can overcome a sufficient gap in overall Force ability. Bane is able to overcome Zannah's mental sorcery through sheer force of will, and survives for a really long time against her tendrils, almost long enough to overcome her in melee - he would've won if the starting conditions have been somewhat different. Granted, Bane did vaguely mention that he had "prepared" against Zannah's sorcery...except that when push came to shove, he just resorted to sheer willpower.

So at the very best, we can say that spirit Kun is weaker than JA Luke by not much more than Zannah is weaker than Bane, if he's even weaker at all. And while the jump from spirit -> flesh isn't exactly quantifiable, it can reasonably be taken as somewhat significant, enough to bridge that gap. If we want to get really pedantic with the quote, "some of his powers" seems to imply <50%.

quote:

Revan's knowledge of Sith sorcery stretched across "a planet-size archive of Sith knowledge" on Malachor V, expeditions to Korriban, Nathema, and Yavin IV, and "centuries of knowledge" from Vitiate's mind. Given he was able to create the thought bomb and other immensely powerful rituals, along with the fact he could create dark side aberrations, which seem to be similar in nature to tendrils since they are both physical manifestations of dark side energy controlled by his will, the likelihood of Revan being familiar with the technique is very high, and even if not, Teleportation should allow him to move out of harm's way.

And yet Darth Bane never learned how to defend against tendrils from his holocron, kek.

Teleportation is good and I admit that it's a bit of a wildcard, although I don't think Revan can just spam it - otherwise I don't see how Vitiate's Voice could have lost to the Hero even if he were weakened. It's likely a relatively draining and slow-to-recharge move.

Regardless, I think that Kun's showing against Luke gives us a hint to his overall strength in the Force independent of his sorcery. As I noted before, it's not like you can overpower someone who's significantly stronger than you just because you have sorcery - spirit Exar has to lie within shooting distance of JA Luke.

JA Luke, meanwhile, has been stated to "grow stronger with every mission", so he should be more powerful than the Luke who was able to stand against Palpatine.

quote:
As I already mentioned in either this thread of another, with the aid of Malachor V, he used the Force to influence the minds of the thousands (perhaps tens of thousands) on orbit around him, turning the tide of the battle against the Mandalorians and corrupting the minds of his allies, turning them toward the dark side and making them swear allegiance to him.

Kun has done similar things to the Malassani or whatever they're called.

quote:
Darth Marr and Satele Shan are far more powerful than just "decent." For example, Darth Marr completely dominated Darth Lachris, who in return challenged a Jedi who performed the following feats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5IwR52UPB4&t=4m30s and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5I...99&t=11m40s . He was capable of instantly overwhelming her with telekinesis and then later rendered her unconscious with white Force Lightning. It's also worth mentioning that a comic suggests that Darth Marr's lightning was powerful enough to destroy Teneb Kel, who could perform stunts like this: http://static7.comicvine.com/upload...ing+%283%29.jpg . And then Satele Shan is capable of absorbing lightsaber blows with her bare hands, ripping through large doors with just hand, conjuring Force Barriers great enough to deflect anything hex droids could unleash, etc. They're both among the greatest of an era with thousands upon thousands of Jedi and Sith. The fact Revan is completely ripping through them both, and others, ragdolling them around before pinning them against a pillar and making them unable to move or even call upon the Force, is absurdly impressive and is greater than anything Exar Kun has shown, in all honesty. It's a direct display of complete domination. In contrast, Exar Kun's is primarily that of Force mastery and understanding on rare techniques, which we know Revan already has in excess.

It's pretty heavily implied that the strike team collectively would not have stood a chance against Vitiate, who is still a Sith at this time and ergo is canonically weaker than Palpatine. So I take Exar beating JA Luke to be a more impressive feat. Granted, Revan dominates the team more blatantly than Exar beats Luke, but the team is weaker than Luke by quite a margin, given that they together would have gotten stomped by someone weaker than even TPM Sidious.

Powerscaling FTW.

quote:

The Mandalorians, Echani, Rakata, Jedi, and Sith all respected him as the greatest warrior of the age, even as he massacred them.

That qualifies as him being an "elite duelist." erm

Lol, Agen Kolar is also an elite duelist, and one of the greatest in history. That alone doesn't tell us much except that he greater than any duelist of the KOTR age, like...like...like...Darth Malak? And wasn't Malak stated to actually be technically superior to Revan?

Again, it's a matter of predicting Revan's technical ability relative to Kun's. He's really good, cool. That applies to lots of people. But Kun's innovation with respect to his saberstaff is a more exclusionary feat/showing that just being considered really good, which means that his technical skill probably surpasses Revan's, and so if their Force augmentation is similar, Kun would win in a duel.

I'm basing this off of analysis of Revan's abilities that don't really have any upper limits to work off - we're just looking at what he's been given so far, and assuming that he doesn't have all that much more. It's a rough guestimate game, but that's always the case with comparing duelists from different eras.

quote:

According to The Jedi Path, almost all powerful Masters develop their own style based on preexisting techniques, which is basically what Exar Kun did. He also added new and unique elements, but it's not like other Jedi and Sith haven't done that as well. That's not to say what Exar Kun did wasn't immensely impressive, but reinventing a weapon (the saberstaff can date as far back as King Adas) and forming a style that comes with it should not, nor will not, be the determining factor of this fight when the style he chose to adopt alongside the weapon is, life I said, perfect for Revan. Unlike the other Jedi in the era, double-bladed lightsabers, including those that change blade length and intensity, are very prevalent in the Jedi Civil Wars. Another key part of his style is Trakata, which Revan has mastery in given he learned everything Kreia knew, which includes Trakata according to the KotOR Campaign Guide, and also has his Battle Precognotion which will allow him to basically fight in the future.

Trakata isn't likely to be something that Kun is likely to have not heard of (quite frankly it's a pretty obvious tactic), battle precognition sounds like regular precognition lol, and the point here is that Kun's saber innovation feat signals a more exclusive percentile in saber ability relative to the mythos than just being the best of an age with no good duelists and being called an expert or whatever. It's not about his form directly helping him.

Old Post May 1st, 2016 01:52 AM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
It shows that Revan is a dominating combatant with consistent skills and great defenses. Jedi during the Clone Wars required armies of clone troopers to fight battle droids - Revan would have conquered worlds alone, as Darth Malgus states before the assault on the Foundry. And in particular, I mainly reference this because he did this gauntlet right before fighting Darth Malak. Also, the aid of two companions won't have any large influence on Revan fighting scores of Sith. And he had no help against the two terentatek and the academy headmasters.

It's still mainly a stamina feat. Given Revan's ability to resist Vitiate and the Dread Masters for 300 years, he seems to have that in the bag. Ironically enough, his acknowledged stamina actually mitigates how impressive his fighting Malak right after is, because it means that he probably wasn't substantially weakened from the fighting.

Again, he's just doing what Satele does to those sith in Hope repetitively for a long period of time.

lol, the Jedi are facing a droid army said to number in the quintillions, it's not the same as fighting a few hundred sith.

quote:

What? Darth Malak's been labeled as among the most powerful Sith Lords in history, and unlike the quotes with Kit Fisto and such referring to their dueling skills, is listed directly alongside Darth Sidious, Darth Vader, etc.

The B-team is actually referenced along with Mace Windu, lol.

quote:

He was capable of dominating Bastila Shan in a gesture, and then later beat her again in under twenty seconds. Note that the only source discussing her power puts her alongside Dooku and Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Funny, Dooku and Obi Wan aren't very close in power, so the two other data points of this alleged quote would potentially put Bastila below Obi Wan by the same extent that Obi Wan is below Dooku, or more.

Also Luke has put Obi Wan and Yoda in the same sentence with respect to power; these types of general associations aren't necessarily that precise.

quote:

While I personally don't agree with the source, the massive praise is clearly there. He was also able to conceal mass ripples in the Force from being felt, and then instead simply his thoughts and moving presence caused disturbances in the Force that could be felt from sectors away.

Savage does this too.

quote:

His battlefield accomplishments were said to have been just as important to the Mandalorian defeat as Revan's tactics,

So?

quote:
and when Cay Qel-Droma had a vision of the future, he remarked after seeing Darth Malak that "Sith so powerful... I... I'm scared."

Who is Cay Qel-Droma, and why should I care about his opinion any more than trainee Bane thinking Kas'im is teh greatest?

But if you wanna go into this kind of hype, we can look to Luke Skywalker stating that "all Jedi everywhere will die" if Ragnos comes back, and Exar Kun being stated by KJA to be stronger than Ragnos. GG.

quote:

And then, let's bring in the amp. He was said to have wielded "extraordinary dark side Force powers" and was "nearly unstoppable." We see him being capable of ragdolling Jedi, instantly killing them with Force Lightning, and utilizing Force Drain in the midst of combat. With the power of the Star Forge at his disposal, he's an absolute powerhouse. And then given Revan just fought through an army of Sith war droids, and then an army of Sith, and then Bastila Shan, and then the Star Forge's infinite army, he's certainly not in best shape. Also, Bastila Shan, through his bond, is calling strength from him into herself, given she needs it to resist the taint of the dark side present on the Star Forge so she can use Battle Meditation effectively. This feat is certainly beyond Exar Kun stalemating Ulic Qel-Droma or overcoming Vodo-Siosk Baas after throwing out all his tricks and powers.

Sure, if it weren't for Exar being called the greatest sith to his time and defeating Luke, I wouldn't put him on Revan's level. But those feats exist, and while you might think that Malak is powerful, it obviously doesn't compare. Exar was also tired when he fought Luke, and he wasn't even in a living body.

quote:

Eight soldiers were killed during the battle, actually. And again, the lack of more causalities is due to Spirit Revan, who, due to his actions, allowed the protagonists to free them all from Revan's telekinetic hold. The game specifically made note that all the characters were being "destroyed" by Revan and, reversely, that Revan was "destroying all." And because of such, the extent and impact of his aid is clear and great.

See above for redundancy.

quote:

Even ignoring the fact that Desann isn't even more powerful than "most Jedi Masters," and yet was still able to throw "post-DE Luke" onto the ground, and then leave him for dead after collapsing a massive structure on him, the circumstances behind Luke Skywalker's defeat must be considered. And when they are, it's not more impressive than what Revan brings to the table.

The description of Luke's confrontation with Exar makes it clear that he tried every trick in his book to defend himself, and they all failed. It doesn't imply that this is one of his jobbing-like-an-idiot feats of post-DE scared of the dark side Luke.

That being said, I'll acknowledge that JA Luke is weirdly inconsistent and it does make me wonder if this is just one of his customary sh*tty showings. I don't think that we can just throw this excuse out for every time he loses at something without breaking the fourth wall and appealing to PIS; my in-universe explanation is that he's started holding back after the events of DE, but this fight makes it clear that he goes all-out defensively at least.

So we have to weigh the handicaps Luke had, such as not really being able to strike back at spirit Exar, being blindsided and not having seen the tendrils, with Kun's handicaps, like being substantially weaker than his mortal form and exhausted from lifting the Sun Crusher (and also the fact that he won fairly easily). It's not like I can reduce this mathematically; I can just guess that they either resolve to a wash, or even if they slightly favor Exar, just means that he's comparable to or slightly below JA Luke, who is almost certainly far beyond Vader at this point.

If Luke can contend with Palpatine and that strike team can't do shit against Vitiate, I'm taking beating Luke as more impressive.

Last edited by The Ellimist on May 1st, 2016 at 02:10 AM

Old Post May 1st, 2016 02:05 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

quote:
Also this:

Exar Kun himself possessed a great many other dark powers that he was unable to harness without the energy he needed to fuel his disembodied will. Some of these powers he was able to channel through Kyp, Gantoris, and Streen to achieve his ends.
- The Jedi Academy Sourcebook

.ie, Kun channeling Kyp can only replicate some of the powers that he had when he was living.

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to argue. That the powers he could not replicate would have dominated Luke Skywalker as well? Or that he has a wealth of abilities that Revan can't defend against? Or simply that he's not at his full power, which I acknowledge but don't find to be that relevant. I'll elaborate why throughout my post below.

quote:
And yet Darth Bane never learned how to defend against tendrils from his holocron, kek

And? Revan never showed the ability until Shadow of Revan, implying that, like Teleportation, it was among the "centuries of knowledge" he learned when combating and stealing information from Vitiate and the Dread Masters. There's also the fact that holocrons only share as much knowledge as the user receiving the knowledge can comprehend. That, along with the fact that it was flawed, makes me believe Darth Bane didn't learn everything Darth Revan knew. Like I said, that's hardly relevant though, since it appears he learned the ability following the creation of the holocron.

quote:
Teleportation is good and I admit that it's a bit of a wildcard, although I don't think Revan can just spam it - otherwise I don't see how Vitiate's Voice could have lost to the Hero even if he were weakened. It's likely a relatively draining and slow-to-recharge move.

Do you have proof that Vitiate's Voice showed the ability to teleport? I'm looking at the abilities he can wield now (https://swtor.jedipedia.net/en/npc/the-emperor-7) and teleportation doesn't appear to be on the list. Also, Dread Master Tyrans showed the ability to teleport quickly and in a plentiful amount (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYCQvhDIYgI), so I disagree with your assessment that it can't be used a lot. Regardless, my argument was simply that Revan could teleport far away from where the tendrils are located, given they seem to attack from a set and fixed point. The fight with Exar Kun noted that they specifically rose from "the gaps in the temple flagstones" and then with Darth Zannah vs Darth Bane, she conjured them from apparently the sand around her and unleashed them upon Darth Bane from those points. If they could spring from everywhere at anytime, I fail to see why "the tendrils were massing for another assault" and instead weren't just conjured again directly alongside Darth Bane, if that makes sense. Also, the fight between Darth Zannah vs Darth Bane states that it requires immense effort and power to conjure these things, so if Exar Kun would do it in this battle, and Revan is then capable of getting out of harm's way, which he should be, I think it's probable he can capitalize on the advantage and attack him with the Force then, potentially ending the fight. And unlike Darth Bane, who tried to end Darth Zannah then with a lightsaber, Revan's shown the ability to telepathically assault people from across the galaxy, so the distance between them should be no problem for him to lash out with his abilities at the vulnerable Kun.

quote:
Regardless, I think that Kun's showing against Luke gives us a hint to his overall strength in the Force independent of his sorcery. As I noted before, it's not like you can overpower someone who's significantly stronger than you just because you have sorcery - spirit Exar has to lie within shooting distance of JA Luke.

JA Luke, meanwhile, has been stated to "grow stronger with every mission", so he should be more powerful than the Luke who was able to stand against Palpatine.

Why not? Exar Kun was "driving long icicles of frozen poison into Luke’s body," not overpowering his defenses with telekinesis. I'd like to make an analogy between a poison dart frog against a full grown human male. Regardless of the superior strength and size of the person, if they don't stomp on the frog before poison enters their body, they are going to die. Add on another poison dart frog that's outside of the human's reach but is somehow then able to attack him in return (i.e. Exar Kun) and the man has absolutely no chance of living, even if their name if Luke Skywalker. In contrast, Revan knows how to detoxify poison, can move himself far out of harms way, and is not facing two combatants (one of them being a spirit and attacking unexpectedly).

quote:
Kun has done similar things to the Malassani or whatever they're called.

When? The Massassi swore complete loyalty to him when he killed their god (i.e. the Sith wyrm).

They did his every command, like how the Revanites would do anything for Revan regardless the price.

It's clearly not the same as dominating fleets, which is beyond Exar Kun's powers.

quote:
It's pretty heavily implied that the strike team collectively would not have stood a chance against Vitiate, who is still a Sith at this time and ergo is canonically weaker than Palpatine. So I take Exar beating JA Luke to be a more impressive feat. Granted, Revan dominates the team more blatantly than Exar beats Luke, but the team is weaker than Luke by quite a margin, given that they together would have gotten stomped by someone weaker than even TPM Sidious.

Powerscaling FTW.

Isn't that pretty ridiculous ABC logic, arguing that since Vitiate > the strike team and Palpatine > Vitiate, that then since also Luke Skywalker > Palpatine and Exar Kun > Skywalker, that then Exar Kun > the strike team? Or, in other words, Exar Kun > Luke Skywalker > Palpatine > Vitiate > the strike team. Surely you see why that is completely silly. I fail to see any proof that Palpatine is more powerful than Vitiate, that Luke Skywalker is more powerful than Palpatine, or that Exar Kun is more powerful than Luke Skywalker. Basically, there's so many holes in the chain that it has no standing.

quote:
Lol, Agen Kolar is also an elite duelist, and one of the greatest in history. That alone doesn't tell us much except that he greater than any duelist of the KOTR age, like...like...like...Darth Malak? And wasn't Malak stated to actually be technically superior to Revan?

You missed the point. You stated that Exar Kun being "an elite duelist" as evidence that he's above Revan. I made note that Revan is also "an elite duelist."

quote:
Again, it's a matter of predicting Revan's technical ability relative to Kun's. He's really good, cool. That applies to lots of people. But Kun's innovation with respect to his saberstaff is a more exclusionary feat/showing that just being considered really good, which means that his technical skill probably surpasses Revan's, and so if their Force augmentation is similar, Kun would win in a duel.

I'm basing this off of analysis of Revan's abilities that don't really have any upper limits to work off - we're just looking at what he's been given so far, and assuming that he doesn't have all that much more. It's a rough guestimate game, but that's always the case with comparing duelists from different eras.

Trakata isn't likely to be something that Kun is likely to have not heard of (quite frankly it's a pretty obvious tactic), battle precognition sounds like regular precognition lol, and the point here is that Kun's saber innovation feat signals a more exclusive percentile in saber ability relative to the mythos than just being the best of an age with no good duelists and being called an expert or whatever. It's not about his form directly helping him.

You are missing the point completely. The fact Exar Kun created his own style isn't relevant when the style he decided to create is perfectly fitted for Revan in every way. It's not about that he created the style - it's about the effectiveness of the style. It's like saying the man who first forged a sword and wielded it in battle is better in skill than the man who would come decades later, have full experience with the techniques the previous man used, and performed better accomplishments with it.

Anyway, that's exactly the point. A key component of Exar Kun's style is the use of Trakata - something that, while the Jedi of his age didn't know, Revan did. Battle Precognition isn't like Precognition either. Precognition is a Force-based technique - Battle Precognition isn't. Here's a description of the technique and those who use it: "The Echani rely heavily on hand-to-hand combat and personal shield technology, and they had their asses handed to them by Revan during the Jedi Civil War, because, not surprisingly, there weren't many people able to face Revan across a battlefield and survive the encounter. The greatest among the Echani are said to be able to read their opponent's moves so well they can predict the path of a battle several seconds, sometimes even minutes in advance, by gauging their opponent's fighting style, heart rate, and there movements in combat. In many ways, the Echani see combat as a rapid dejarik game, calculating feints, attacks, and dodges with a speed that few can surpass."

Revan was the foremost master of the art. It will allow him to predict Exar Kun's style, which is all about unpredictability.

Old Post May 1st, 2016 09:18 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

quote:
lol, the Jedi are facing a droid army said to number in the quintillions, it's not the same as fighting a few hundred sith.

There's not quintillions of battledroids on every battlefield. erm In The Clone Wars TV show, there's like a couple hundred fighting the Jedi at most per world.

quote:
Again, he's just doing what Satele does to those sith in Hope repetitively for a long period of time.

He's not really. After fighting Bastila Shan, he walked into an open room with the Star Forge's "infinite army" of battle droids being created and attacking him. Also, Satele Shan fighting four Sith and a droid is not the same as Revan fighting hundreds of them, obviously. The Star Forge structure, based on how its formatted in the game, allow them to attack Revan en masse from different angles (the front, the back, and sometimes the sides). On Korriban, the structure of the academy allows them, in many areas, to attack Revan from all four sides. The Dark Jedi of this era are also powerful enough to wield Force Lightning, sometimes Force Drain, and are stated to be "experts in lightsaber and Force-related combat," "highly skilled duelists", and "masters on the battlefield." It's vastly more impressive than what Satele Shan did and anything Exar Kun has shown us on the battlefield.

quote:
It's still mainly a stamina feat. Given Revan's ability to resist Vitiate and the Dread Masters for 300 years, he seems to have that in the bag. Ironically enough, his acknowledged stamina actually mitigates how impressive his fighting Malak right after is, because it means that he probably wasn't substantially weakened from the fighting.

You don't think Revan fighting armies and Bastila Shan wouldn't have had negative impacts on him? What? Also, that being said, endurance, like speed and strength, are directly augmented by one's command of the Force. Based on his endurance, which you consider unyielding, Revan should also have the speed and strength advantage over Exar Kun in a lightsaber duel as well, but that was obvious.

quote:
Funny, Dooku and Obi Wan aren't very close in power, so the two other data points of this alleged quote would potentially put Bastila below Obi Wan by the same extent that Obi Wan is below Dooku, or more.

Or put her in the middle. Or put her "the same extent that Obi-Wan is below Dooku" above Dooku.

You're just throwing out numbers.

Just take the quote for what it means: Bastila Shan is very powerful and comparable to beings that Exar Kun isn't capable of one-shotting.

That is, unlike Darth Malak, according to the quote. wink

quote:
Savage does this too.

When? erm

quote:
So?

If Malak's abilities are even remotely as successful and masterful as Revan's military strategies, as the quote says, that's extremely impressive praise in regard to his abilities and makes clear he's not "trash," like you stated. He's extremely powerful and skilled with a treasure of Sith abilities at his dispoal. Revan defeating him, primarily due to just his lightsaber, on the Star Forge, is better than anything Exar Kun can bring to the table for combat.

quote:

Who is Cay Qel-Droma, and why should I care about his opinion any more than trainee Bane thinking Kas'im is teh greatest?

But if you wanna go into this kind of hype, we can look to Luke Skywalker stating that "all Jedi everywhere will die" if Ragnos comes back, and Exar Kun being stated by KJA to be stronger than Ragnos. GG.

He was the Jedi Order's greatest champion between the time of Exar Kun's death and Revan's rise to power. He led the charge during the Great Hunt and killed many terentatek. Anyway, no, it's different. Cay Qel-Droma had a vision of Darth Malak, his power, and what he would do. Luke Skywalker didn't know next-to-anything about Marka Ragnos besides from what is written about him in history books and legends, to my knowledge. One's more legitimate.

I think all the other points you made below is covered somewhere above. If not, simply quote it again.

tl;dr: Revan's lightsaber abilities is a perfect counter for Exar Kun, he's shown greater feats with them, and is faster, stronger, and has greater endurance.

In regards to the Force, Revan can handle what Exar Kun has to offer, but his superior showings of telekinesis and telepathy will definitely tip the tide in his favor.

Revan wins 9.9/10.

Old Post May 1st, 2016 09:18 PM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Lol Cay was Ulic's brother that died before Exar.

Old Post May 1st, 2016 09:26 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

*Duron Qel-Droma. I mixed them up, my bad. erm

Old Post May 1st, 2016 09:29 PM
NewGuy01
perpetual

He was a feeb, too. Could only beat Terentateks with his team by weakening them with a special mind trick.

Old Post May 1st, 2016 09:33 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

(Edit @ 5:40 PM)

He was said to be among the Jedi Order's greatest terentatek hunter, shattered all the glass and other items in a room with telekinesis, is a master of beast control, and had Droma blood. erm He's impressive enough to make himself being petrified of Darth Malak impressive, especially considering he's ware of the threat Exar Kun posed yet still shivered at the thought a Sith could be as powerful as Darth Malak.

Last edited by Jaggarath on May 1st, 2016 at 09:40 PM

Old Post May 1st, 2016 09:38 PM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Among the greatest largely because of his special mind trick, as I recall.

Old Post May 1st, 2016 09:41 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Not really. He seems to be the greatest Force sensitive of the three, which shouldn't be that surprising. In combat he really injured that one terentatek with his lightsaber too.

Old Post May 1st, 2016 09:56 PM