KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Revan 3.0 vs. Exar Kun

Revan 3.0 vs. Exar Kun
Started by: The Ellimist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (14): « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nai
Advocatus Diaboli

You people are boring.

Exar Kun wins.

The End.

"Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?"

Old Post May 2nd, 2016 08:59 AM
Click here to Send Nai a Private Message Find more posts by Nai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

no expression Dude, give it up already. Palpatine's status as the most powerful Sith Lord of all time, frequently given in the context of martial ability, is probably the second most repeated accolade in the entire mythos after Anakin's potential to surpass him. I can get putting Exar over Revan; that's what I'm doing right now; but Palpatine? Your people lost, buddy.

(Edit: to go into more detail, since Palpatine supremacy in power is established canon, you could try to push for Kun's superiority as a duelist or sorcerer. You'd certainly fail in the former, given that Palpatine's status as the first or second best in the Jedi's golden age of dueling >>> developing your own style (Windu did that too) and standing out in a far more puny era, and given that Palpatine can replicate literally everything Exar ever did, except without needing any prep or rituals. And even if we grant Kun benefits for the sake of discussion, Palpatine's lead in raw power is so massive from the RotS > TPM > TOR Vitiate > Novel Vitiate > post-Nathema Vitiate > Kun that it won't really matter. He's better.)

(Edit: btw, Exar needs the nexus of Yavin to maintain his identity after physical death, while Palpatine does it from sheer willpower. And only one of them is a walking dark side nexus. GG)

Last edited by The Ellimist on May 2nd, 2016 at 09:13 AM

Old Post May 2nd, 2016 09:07 AM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

But but but he basically one shotted JA Luke all by himself which even DE Palpatine couldn't do. smile

Old Post May 2nd, 2016 09:16 AM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nai
Advocatus Diaboli

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Ellimist
[B]no expression Dude, give it up already. Palpatine's status as the most powerful Sith Lord of all time, frequently given in the context of martial ability, is probably the second most repeated accolade in the entire mythos after Anakin's potential to surpass him. I can get putting Exar over Revan; that's what I'm doing right now; but Palpatine? Your people lost, buddy.

*Looks at thread title*

I thought it would be fairly obvious, that I just didn't want to repost all that for this specific thread here. Obviously, I did overestimate the intellect of some individuals posting here.

And Sidious status, while being dubious at best, is no basis to judge his combat ability, where Kun beats him in applications of the Force and lightsaber skill every given time, when you take the source-material into consideration, instead of blindly following single quotes without analysing them.

quote:

(Edit: to go into more detail, since Palpatine supremacy in power is established canon, you could try to push for Kun's superiority as a duelist or sorcerer. You'd certainly fail in the former, given that Palpatine's status as the first or second best in the Jedi's golden age of dueling >>> developing your own style (Windu did that too) and standing out in a far more puny era, and given that Palpatine can replicate literally everything Exar ever did, except without needing any prep or rituals. And even if we grant Kun benefits for the sake of discussion, Palpatine's lead in raw power is so massive from the RotS > TPM > TOR Vitiate > Novel Vitiate > post-Nathema Vitiate > Kun that it won't really matter. He's better.)

I wonder where the idea of a "Golden Age of Duelling" for the PT comes from, when it's explicitly mentioned, that the only Jedi caring about "duelling" and using the form most suited for it, is Dooku.

I, of course, know the answer. The notion is extrapolated from the TPM commentary where Lucas, while Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon fight off droids, refers to the PT as the "Golden Age of the Jedi". This has been used to establish the time as the strongest point in terms of lightsaber combat. Which is pretty laughable. Not only because we know that Lucas doesn't give a damn about the EU (via his own statements regarding the issue), but also because this doesn't make sense, given that they didn't have much need to hone their lightsaber skills in comparsion to people in other eras.

And one must love the hilarious speculation that Sidious could replicate anything Kun did, which pretty much lacks any basis. Much like the notion that Sidious is more powerful than Vitiate.

quote:
(Edit: btw, Exar needs the nexus of Yavin to maintain his identity after physical death, while Palpatine does it from sheer willpower. And only one of them is a walking dark side nexus. GG)

Last time I checked, Palpatine needed the aid of several Sith spirits to make it back from the void to the living plane and then was in need to possess Jeng Droga, in order to survive. And none of them is a walking dark side nexus, which is just another of Gideon's large amount of missconceptions regarding his favourite character.

"Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?"

Old Post May 2nd, 2016 09:28 AM
Click here to Send Nai a Private Message Find more posts by Nai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

I do find it amusing that 3/4s of your pseudo-respect thread obsesses over profound descriptions of Kun having "enormous power", and the vague aphorisms of characters who encounter him, and you think this somehow proves his superiority over Palpatine. However, explicit statements that Palpatine is the most powerful in history get dismissed as more "dubious" than oh-so-quantifiable descriptions of Kun going through "immense transformations" or whatever. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Nonetheless, though you provide an impressive amount of detail about Exar, you don't actually do any comparative analysis between him and Palpatine to explain why BS quotes like "one of the greatest ever" that have been also labeled on Agen Kolar and Kit Fisto mean anything.

Originally posted by Nai
And Sidious status, while being dubious at best,

The "dubious" criticism could work if we're talking about some one-liner publisher's statement on the back cover of an obscure novel. Instead, we are looking at potentially a dozen independent sources, including

• Third person sourcebook statements pertaining both to combat (defeating Yoda) and mastery of the dark side ("succeeded where all others had failed in taming the dark side", "greatest master of evil to ever use sith power")
  • In-universe opinions of Darth Vader and ancient sith spirits
  • George Lucas's own opinion
  • An official interview question

At some point, where there's smoke, there's a fire, and you start looking like you're grasping at straws to nitpick semantics distinctions in every single quote.

Of course, being capable of unbalancing the Force itself and unleashing Force storms sort of makes this pretty clear already.

[It's also ironic, given your reliance on vague, fallible in-person statements in your link, as I mentioned earlier]

quote:

is no basis to judge his combat ability,

Mastery of the Force is probably the single most important factor to combat ability, and Sidious's supremacy in the former is stated specifically in the context of Yoda not being able to defeat him.

quote:

where Kun beats him in applications of the Force and lightsaber skill every given time, when you take the source-material into consideration, instead of blindly following single quotes without analysing them.

Seeing as how Sidious has been stated to be a master of every style and weapon, I somehow doubt that Exar possesses any advantage over him in technical ability. At the very best case scenario it is a wash - and so we defer to Sidious's superior mastery of the Force. There's only so much technical skill can do to compensate for such a disadvantage in raw power - see Cin Drallig vs. Vader.

Asa for "applications of the Force", since Palpatine's standard lightning can light up planetary surfaces, you're presumably talking about Kun's sorcery. I'd love for you to show us where in any of his sorcery he produces power in excess of what Palpatine can create from his own power alone.

quote:

I wonder where the idea of a "Golden Age of Duelling" for the PT comes from, when it's explicitly mentioned, that the only Jedi caring about "duelling" and using the form most suited for it, is Dooku.

That doesn't contradict the phrase at all. Kingdoms in the middle ages probably cared a lot more about war than we do, it doesn't make them better at it.

The PT Jedi Order's dueling prowess is advanced in spite of their relative peacetime, which should be apparent enough from the unusually high density of powerful Force users in this era. Show me any other era in galactic history where a guy corroborated by multiple sources to be the most powerful Jedi and duelist in the history of the Order (Yoda), the most powerful Sith in history (Sidious), the prior most powerful in history (Plagueis), several characters who explicitly rival Sidious in potential (Kyp, Starkiller), and the Chosen One himself (Anakin) all happen to reside at the same time. The films and thereafter events contain the most powerful concentration of non-entity Force users in galactic history.

quote:

I, of course, know the answer. The notion is extrapolated from the TPM commentary where Lucas, while Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon fight off droids, refers to the PT as the "Golden Age of the Jedi". This has been used to establish the time as the strongest point in terms of lightsaber combat. Which is pretty laughable. Not only because we know that Lucas doesn't give a damn about the EU (via his own statements regarding the issue),

Under the former EU system, Lucas's word stands as G canon. Sorry.

quote:

but also because this doesn't make sense, given that they didn't have much need to hone their lightsaber skills in comparsion to people in other eras.

So what? We don't have as much need to use bows and arrows, yet modern ones are a f*ckton superior to medieval versions. They have training sabers and seem to take some sort of ceremonial importance in dueling, so they get better at it. Contrary to what ancient-wankers think, organizations and societies tend to get better at things over time.

quote:

And one must love the hilarious speculation that Sidious could replicate anything Kun did, which pretty much lacks any basis. Much like the notion that Sidious is more powerful than Vitiate.

Show me a counterexample?

quote:

Last time I checked, Palpatine needed the aid of several Sith spirits to make it back from the void to the living plane

Neither could do that alone, but Palpatine could retain his essence alone.

BTW, some sith spirits later agreed that Palpatine had become the greatest of them all. thumb up

quote:

and then was in need to possess Jeng Droga, in order to survive.

ROFLAMO! Exar needed to feed off of one of the most potentially powerful Force users of all time (Kyp Durron) + a dark side nexus, and it still wasn't enough.

quote:

And none of them is a walking dark side nexus, which is just another of Gideon's large amount of missconceptions regarding his favourite character.

Eager to meet his captor, Luke learned that the dark side nexus he had sensed was none other than the cloned reincarnation of Emperor Palpatine himself.

^ he is, actually.

Last edited by The Ellimist on May 2nd, 2016 at 10:05 AM

Old Post May 2nd, 2016 09:56 AM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Originally posted by Nai
which is just another of Gideon's large amount of missconceptions regarding his favourite character.

lol

Old Post May 2nd, 2016 10:30 AM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

I'd f#cking pay to see Gideon vs Nai, doesn't get more classic than that.

Palpatine is obviously better in everything, but regardless.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Last edited by AncientPower on May 2nd, 2016 at 11:43 AM

Old Post May 2nd, 2016 11:34 AM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Ellimist, Exar Kun is listed alongside Reborn Palpatine as two of the greatest dark side focal points Luke has ever faced by Specters of the Past, so no Exar Kun is a dark side nexus as well, a 'great' one at that.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post May 2nd, 2016 11:50 AM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Nai
I, of course, know the answer. The notion is extrapolated from the TPM commentary where Lucas, while Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon fight off droids, refers to the PT as the "Golden Age of the Jedi". This has been used to establish the time as the strongest point in terms of lightsaber combat. Which is pretty laughable. Not only because we know that Lucas doesn't give a damn about the EU (via his own statements regarding the issue), but also because this doesn't make sense, given that they didn't have much need to hone their lightsaber skills in comparsion to people in other eras.

It's especially egregious if you actually look at what Lucas said. It's laughable to suggest he was talking about lightsaber skill, the ability of duelists or that his statement is exclusive to the PT given what he actually, literally says. All he mentions is them fighting in large groups. Hardly unique to the PT.

Old Post May 2nd, 2016 11:57 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

@AP: "focal point" =/= the Star Wars meaning of nexus though...

@Neph: lol it clearly refers to overall combative ability. Your evasion changes nothing. thumb up

Old Post May 2nd, 2016 01:30 PM
The_Tempest

Originally posted by AncientPower
I'd f#cking pay to see Gideon vs Nai, doesn't get more classic than that.

Palpatine is obviously better in everything, but regardless.

You please me. It would please me further for you to brawl with Ant.

It would please me most of all for the young Revanite to wade into battle against the veteran Antediluvian.

Gideon/Nai has been done to death. And Palpatine has still been called history's most powerful Sith in all that time, by newer sources and authors.

Sheev is supreme. It's now the age of Revanites vs Kunts.

Old Post May 2nd, 2016 01:49 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Did AP just say that Palpatine > Kun at everything?

Last edited by The Ellimist on May 2nd, 2016 at 01:57 PM

Old Post May 2nd, 2016 01:50 PM
The_Tempest

He did. It arouses me.

Old Post May 2nd, 2016 01:56 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

And now you will say that Luke > Palpatine in the same manner.

Old Post May 2nd, 2016 01:58 PM
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Temp we already have, multiple times infact, it achieved nothing.

Old Post May 2nd, 2016 02:20 PM
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Did AP just say that Palpatine > Kun at everything?

You seem surprised.

Old Post May 2nd, 2016 02:21 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

@Neph: lol it clearly refers to overall combative ability. Your evasion changes nothing. thumb up

Post the quote and source and lets see.

Old Post May 2nd, 2016 08:48 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

So, a brief overview. We’re debating two separate battles here – the Force, and a lightsaber duel.

In the Force contest, we’re essentially both trying to powerscale; myself, by pointing to Exar Kun’s defeat of Luke Skywalker, and you, pointing to Revan’s ragdolling of the strike force. Basically my argument is that, firstly, spirit Exar and Kyp are not as powerful as Exar in his mortal body, and secondly, that JA Luke is significantly stronger than the collective strike force.

With dueling, I’ve pointed out Exar Kun’s ability to create his own dual-bladed lightsaber style and you’re…well, quite frankly I’ve no idea what the f*ck you’ve got going here.

Let’s go into more detail.

quote:

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to argue. That the powers he could not replicate would have dominated Luke Skywalker as well? Or that he has a wealth of abilities that Revan can't defend against? Or simply that he's not at his full power, which I acknowledge but don't find to be that relevant. I'll elaborate why throughout my post below.

Simple; full power Exar Kun > nexus spirit Exar + Kyp Durron, hence why it says the latter can only use “some” of his powers.

quote:

And? Revan never showed the ability until Shadow of Revan, implying that, like Teleportation, it was among the "centuries of knowledge" he learned when combating and stealing information from Vitiate and the Dread Masters. There's also the fact that holocrons only share as much knowledge as the user receiving the knowledge can comprehend. That, along with the fact that it was flawed, makes me believe Darth Bane didn't learn everything Darth Revan knew. Like I said, that's hardly relevant though, since it appears he learned the ability following the creation of the holocron.

He never shows tendrils, lol. Darth Bane knew about the attack, and still his only recourse was to just rush Zannah and try to break through her guard in time. Too bad he doesn’t have that sabers advantage to do this. thumb up

There’s no evidence that a specific defense to tendrils even exists. Likely you just have to be incredibly powerful + reach the person doing it, so it’s not clear why Luke’s defeat wouldn’t have happened to Revan.

quote:

Do you have proof that Vitiate's Voice showed the ability to teleport? I'm looking at the abilities he can wield now (https://swtor.jedipedia.net/en/npc/the-emperor-7) and teleportation doesn't appear to be on the list.

Why wouldn’t Vitiate’s voice be able to do something you claim Revan learned from Vitiate, lol? It’s a smaller leap in logic than just asserting that Revan can defend against tendrils.

quote:

Also, Dread Master Tyrans showed the ability to teleport quickly and in a plentiful amount (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYCQvhDIYgI), so I disagree with your assessment that it can't be used a lot. Regardless, my argument was simply that Revan could teleport far away from where the tendrils are located, given they seem to attack from a set and fixed point. The fight with Exar Kun noted that they specifically rose from "the gaps in the temple flagstones" and then with Darth Zannah vs Darth Bane, she conjured them from apparently the sand around her and unleashed them upon Darth Bane from those points. If they could spring from everywhere at anytime, I fail to see why "the tendrils were massing for another assault" and instead weren't just conjured again directly alongside Darth Bane, if that makes sense. Also, the fight between Darth Zannah vs Darth Bane states that it requires immense effort and power to conjure these things, so if Exar Kun would do it in this battle, and Revan is then capable of getting out of harm's way, which he should be, I think it's probable he can capitalize on the advantage and attack him with the Force then, potentially ending the fight. And unlike Darth Bane, who tried to end Darth Zannah then with a lightsaber, Revan's shown the ability to telepathically assault people from across the galaxy, so the distance between them should be no problem for him to lash out with his abilities at the vulnerable Kun.

You’re assuming that the exertion of teleportation and/or defending against the tendrils is smaller than the exertion of creating them.

quote:

Why not? Exar Kun was "driving long icicles of frozen poison into Luke’s body," not overpowering his defenses with telekinesis. I'd like to make an analogy between a poison dart frog against a full grown human male. Regardless of the superior strength and size of the person, if they don't stomp on the frog before poison enters their body, they are going to die. Add on another poison dart frog that's outside of the human's reach but is somehow then able to attack him in return (i.e. Exar Kun) and the man has absolutely no chance of living, even if their name if Luke Skywalker. In contrast, Revan knows how to detoxify poison, can move himself far out of harms way, and is not facing two combatants (one of them being a spirit and attacking unexpectedly).

Detoxifying poisons is something every Jedi padawan learns, lmao. My point here is that we’ve established a clear precedent that sorcery cannot compensate for a sufficient gap in raw power between two combatants. We know this because Kun himself needs Kyp’s aid to overpower Luke, and because Darth Bane is able to resist Zannah’s sorcery and outright overpower her telepathic sorcery through sheer power. From the Bane vs. Zannah precedent, we can assume that spirit Exar’s power must be relatively close to Luke’s in order for it to have much of any effect. So again, we have a few modifying variables to balance:

Exar’s advantages – Luke was surrounded, couldn’t attack Kun back, might know less about sorcery than Revan would

Exar’s disadvantages – was already tired from the sun crusher, was explicitly weaker than his mortal form, beat Luke so matching him with JA Luke would be an underestimate

Tbh his disadvantages seem to be greater, as they signal tangible mitigations in power rather than more circumstantial ones like tactical unawareness that might not have even mattered, since you can’t demonstrate that Revan has some sort of defense against tendrils (does that even exist?) beyond sheer willpower/Force defenses, and Luke was still able to try everything he could to defend himself.

So at the worst, Exar must be only somewhat weaker than JA Luke in raw power to be able to affect him in this manner. JA Luke > DE Luke, and DE Luke was strong enough that Palpatine acknowledged that he could give him a fight.

That’s >>>> a strike team that collectively wouldn’t have stood a chance against Vitiate, who is canonically below Palpatine.

quote:

When? The Massassi swore complete loyalty to him when he killed their god (i.e. the Sith wyrm).

Um he enslaved plenty of them and their spirits, see Golden Globe.

quote:

It's clearly not the same as dominating fleets, which is beyond Exar Kun's powers.

Yeah, Revan sure knows how to amp himself off nexuses.

quote:

Isn't that pretty ridiculous ABC logic, arguing that since Vitiate > the strike team and Palpatine > Vitiate, that then since also Luke Skywalker > Palpatine and Exar Kun > Skywalker, that then Exar Kun > the strike team? Or, in other words, Exar Kun > Luke Skywalker > Palpatine > Vitiate > the strike team. Surely you see why that is completely silly. I fail to see any proof that Palpatine is more powerful than Vitiate, that Luke Skywalker is more powerful than Palpatine, or that Exar Kun is more powerful than Luke Skywalker. Basically, there's so many holes in the chain that it has no standing.

Luke is not > Palpatine at this point, but he is strong enough to challenge him, by Palpatine’s own admission. The strike team, meanwhile, cannot challenge Vitiate. Ergo Exar’s victory is more impressive than Revan’s.

quote:
You missed the point. You stated that Exar Kun being "an elite duelist" as evidence that he's above Revan. I made note that Revan is also "an elite duelist.

I said “in addition to” being an elite duelist, which could imply an attempt to establish superiority or just equivalency with that particular part of the sentence, but whatever, this isn’t really meaningful.

Last edited by The Ellimist on May 5th, 2016 at 10:13 PM

Old Post May 5th, 2016 10:07 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

quote:
You are missing the point completely. The fact Exar Kun created his own style isn't relevant when the style he decided to create is perfectly fitted for Revan in every way.

That was, ironically, not my point at all. I was using his form creation as a signal for his technical skill, not as a direct advantage.

quote:

It's not about that he created the style - it's about the effectiveness of the style. It's like saying the man who first forged a sword and wielded it in battle is better in skill than the man who would come decades later, have full experience with the techniques the previous man used, and performed better accomplishments with it.

If the only information I have about person A and person B is that person A pioneered an entire fighting art while person B was just regarded as really good, I would say that person A is probably superior because his accomplishment is more exclusive.

quote:

Anyway, that's exactly the point. A key component of Exar Kun's style is the use of Trakata - something that, while the Jedi of his age didn't know, Revan did.

A purely defensive argument which just knocks down a point I didn’t make, lawl.

quote:

Battle Precognition isn't like Precognition either. Precognition is a Force-based technique - Battle Precognition isn't. Here's a description of the technique and those who use it: "The Echani rely heavily on hand-to-hand combat and personal shield technology, and they had their asses handed to them by Revan during the Jedi Civil War, because, not surprisingly, there weren't many people able to face Revan across a battlefield and survive the encounter. The greatest among the Echani are said to be able to read their opponent's moves so well they can predict the path of a battle several seconds, sometimes even minutes in advance, by gauging their opponent's fighting style, heart rate, and there movements in combat. In many ways, the Echani see combat as a rapid dejarik game, calculating feints, attacks, and dodges with a speed that few can surpass."

Revan was the foremost master of the art. It will allow him to predict Exar Kun's style, which is all about unpredictability.

You’re going to have to show me some actual examples of Revan employing this, and to explain how this gives him a decisive edge over Exar, for me to take this as a serious thing rather than an exaggerated version of what real life martial artists, do, lol.

Old Post May 5th, 2016 10:14 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

I thought your response would mark my final breath? Is that still to come or...?

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post May 5th, 2016 10:16 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote