KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Whose tech is superior ?

Whose tech is superior ?
Started by: quanchi112

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (16): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Ellimist
The Shadow

quote: (post)
Originally posted by quanchi112
They use anything to benefit Star Wars. They seem to ban dissenters from what I can gather.

Rumor mongering and vague ad hominems aside, what is actually flawed with Wong's analysis?

Old Post May 25th, 2016 01:28 AM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by The Ellimist
Rumor mongering and vague ad hominems aside, what is actually flawed with Wong's analysis?
Those numbers seem ridiculous and don't match up with what I see on screen.

Old Post May 25th, 2016 01:29 AM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Merchant

But they do rofl.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post May 25th, 2016 01:33 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Those numbers seem ridiculous and don't match up with what I see on screen.

That's still pretty vague. Which of their numbers seem ridiculous?

Hyperdrive speeds are pretty difficult to refute - they really are that much faster than Federation warp drives. You'd expect as much, as the Star Trek series place so much emphasis on voyages and discoveries, whereas the entire galaxy has already been mapped by AotC, and ships regularly race the protagonists across the cosmos on the plot's convenience.

Turbolaser yields are shown "on screen" from the ESB's asteroid scenes, and are furthermore established in the Legends literature through base delta zero operations. Furthermore, they can be extrapolated through scaling power generation abilities from both the Death Star's superlaser and the numerous acceleration feats in the saga, where various vessels travel enormous distances in ludicrously small periods of time, feats that would naturally require massively powerful engines.

Shielding specs, etc. scale from that.

Old Post May 25th, 2016 01:33 AM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Edit: Nvrm.

Old Post May 25th, 2016 01:34 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by The Merchant
But they do rofl.
Nah.

Old Post May 25th, 2016 01:37 AM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

That's still pretty vague. Which of their numbers seem ridiculous?

Hyperdrive speeds are pretty difficult to refute - they really are that much faster than Federation warp drives. You'd expect as much, as the Star Trek series place so much emphasis on voyages and discoveries, whereas the entire galaxy has already been mapped by AotC, and ships regularly race the protagonists across the cosmos on the plot's convenience.

Turbolaser yields are shown "on screen" from the ESB's asteroid scenes, and are furthermore established in the Legends literature through base delta zero operations. Furthermore, they can be extrapolated through scaling power generation abilities from both the Death Star's superlaser and the numerous acceleration feats in the saga, where various vessels travel enormous distances in ludicrously small periods of time, feats that would naturally require massively powerful engines.

Shielding specs, etc. scale from that.
Hyperdrive speeds are faster I agree. I mean I go by the eye test. I tend to go by what their weapons do on screen and how they are portrayed. It's like marvel handbooks pretty much random numbers given out no one really cares about. The storytellers do the same things in all areas of fiction. Take for instance a comic book feat to better get across my point. Supwrman lifts something iirc that weighed more than five times the weight of earth or something for five days weakened. Now granted that's a great feat but does that mean anything when he meets the next silly super villain. It's just another feat that doesn't carry over or matter. That's why I tend to look at portrayals more so than feats while most would disagree. The tie fighters on average struggle against the Millenium Falcon. Now I know it's due to the ace skills of Han but that thing is a pos and routinely has made the empire look like shit.

Now take for instance the Enterprise. It's pathetic when it comes to the Narada and the USS Vengeance but the plot makes excuses for why it survives not some skill of some pilot. Do you see where I'm coming from ?

Old Post May 25th, 2016 01:48 AM
Zenwolf

Eh? The TIE fighters didn't struggle against the Falcon, they were doing damage to it while holding back during the Falcon's escape on the DS in ANH. ESB they were trying to capture the Falcon not destroy it.

Old Post May 25th, 2016 01:52 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Hyperdrive speeds are faster I agree.

Far, far, faster. If you're trying to look at this in a versus debate perspective, the sheer disparity in movement ability makes an Empire vs. Federation war a forgone conclusion; the Federation would take years to even get a task force to any meaningful imperial planet, whereas any star destroyer can jump out of hyperspeed right above Earth basically on a whim. The Federation would be trying to move with bungies against a modern mechanized army, lol.

quote:

I mean I go by the eye test. I tend to go by what their weapons do on screen and how they are portrayed.

These calculations are based on on-screen footage, like the asteroid vaporizations. That they happen to involve fancier physics doesn't somehow invalidate them.

quote:

It's like marvel handbooks pretty much random numbers given out no one really cares about.

Except that you need to actually address the calculations instead of just dismissing them on face.

quote:

The storytellers do the same things in all areas of fiction. Take for instance a comic book feat to better get across my point. Supwrman lifts something iirc that weighed more than five times the weight of earth or something for five days weakened. Now granted that's a great feat but does that mean anything when he meets the next silly super villain. It's just another feat that doesn't carry over or matter. That's why I tend to look at portrayals more so than feats while most would disagree. The tie fighters on average struggle against the Millenium Falcon. Now I know it's due to the ace skills of Han but that thing is a pos and routinely has made the empire look like shit.

If you're basically suggesting that we should look at some vague approximation of the creators' intent rather than the suspension of disbelief method, then I would say that neither universe's designers have any clear idea of what firepower and shielding capabilities are, and just attune them to the convenience of the plot and special effects budget.

However, that still leaves us with hyperdrives and the Death Star.

quote:

Now take for instance the Enterprise. It's pathetic when it comes to the Narada and the USS Vengeance but the plot makes excuses for why it survives not some skill of some pilot. Do you see where I'm coming from ?

I mean, if you want to play the lowballing game, two can play that. There's just so much content here, I don't know where to start - what's the lamest ramming scene you can think of?

Old Post May 25th, 2016 01:55 AM
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Eh? The TIE fighters didn't struggle against the Falcon, they were doing damage to it while holding back during the Falcon's escape on the DS in ANH. ESB they were trying to capture the Falcon not destroy it.
Han Solo is repairing it mid combat and still manages to evade those idiots. It's still working in the latest star wars too when even Rey says it's a pile of shit basically.

Old Post May 25th, 2016 01:59 AM
Zenwolf

Han Solo is repairing it mid combat and still manages to evade those idiots. It's still working in the latest star wars too when even Rey says it's a pile of shit basically.

Han wasn't repairing it mid-combat in ANH, in ESB he was trying to get the hyperdrive to work which had been damaged during the attack, again the Empire was trying to capture them, it's harder to capture than to kill. The fact that it works later still is a testament on how good the ship is built, not that it's bad.

Last edited by Zenwolf on May 25th, 2016 at 02:12 AM

Old Post May 25th, 2016 02:08 AM
quanchi112
Disney

Far, far, faster. If you're trying to look at this in a versus debate perspective, the sheer disparity in movement ability makes an Empire vs. Federation war a forgone conclusion; the Federation would take years to even get a task force to any meaningful imperial planet, whereas any star destroyer can jump out of hyperspeed right above Earth basically on a whim. The Federation would be trying to move with bungies against a modern mechanized army, lol.

These calculations are based on on-screen footage, like the asteroid vaporizations. That they happen to involve fancier physics doesn't somehow invalidate them.

Except that you need to actually address the calculations instead of just dismissing them on face.

If you're basically suggesting that we should look at some vague approximation of the creators' intent rather than the suspension of disbelief method, then I would say that neither universe's designers have any clear idea of what firepower and shielding capabilities are, and just attune them to the convenience of the plot and special effects budget.

However, that still leaves us with hyperdrives and the Death Star.

I mean, if you want to play the lowballing game, two can play that. There's just so much content here, I don't know where to start - what's the lamest ramming scene you can think of?
Far, far faster indeed but they don't operate at these speeds in combat. Warp speeds are faster than a tie fighter maneuvering around. Yes, they'd show up quickly but once engaged they aren't that quick in combat. Hell, the Executor is slow as molasses in combat and most of their star destroyers are just huge targets.

Trying to attribute real life physics to any fictional work is an exercise in futility. Most of the minds who create this work don't understand them and just do something because it looks awesome.

You have two Death Stars and a Starkiller base.

Are you referring to the USS Kelvin ? They still died horribly just to get some other people to safety. The Narada was a force to be reckoned with. It was taking on the federation single handedly. Can we say that about any empire based ship ?

Old Post May 25th, 2016 02:13 AM
The Merchant

Starkiller Base also proves that SW>>>ST. It absorbed an entire Star and turned it completely into energy, beat that.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post May 25th, 2016 02:14 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Starkiller Base also proves that SW>>>ST. It absorbed an entire Star and turned it completely into energy, beat that.

I'd say the Death Star also does this. The fact that it can charge a big enough weapon to destroy a planet and still have enough energy to run its systems, is impressive.

Old Post May 25th, 2016 02:16 AM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

thumb up

Old Post May 25th, 2016 02:19 AM
playa1258
Fear is the mind killer

Star Wars tech is superior right now. Trek is advancing faster though.

Old Post May 25th, 2016 03:20 AM
Click here to Send playa1258 a Private Message Find more posts by playa1258 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Red matter defeated a super nova. That massive weapon is dependent on suns to fire as well.

Trek beat it in the first rebooted alternate timeline and in wrath of Khan that weapon was also more impressive.

Old Post May 25th, 2016 04:08 AM
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by playa1258
Star Wars tech is superior right now. Trek is advancing faster though.
Based on ?

We see the USS vengeance is a massive upgrade to federation ships and we still see for the most part tie fighters 30 some years later. smile

They did upgrade the Death Star into the Starkiller but they don't really seem to progress that much otherwise.

Old Post May 25th, 2016 04:11 AM
Zenwolf

Regardless

Military tech= SW

Exploration = ST

If just looking at the movies, although SW shouldn't be too far behind given that there's a ton of different alien species in the OT alone(cantina scene) and then the whole galactic senate in the PT.

In fact it should be superior given they can travel the galaxy with hardly any time effort on their part, but I'm just giving ST something here.

Old Post May 25th, 2016 04:16 AM
quanchi112
Disney

are you forgetting about the Borg ?

Old Post May 25th, 2016 04:27 AM