KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Kenobi vs Maul: How Did It Happen?

Kenobi vs Maul: How Did It Happen?
Started by: DarthAnt66

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (20): « First ... « 15 16 [17] 18 19 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
quanchi112
Disney

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Rebel95
Wow you guys are still arguing over maul. I don't know if that's impressive or just sad
Oh shut it. I'll always defend Maul over liars and doubters. Always.

Old Post Mar 28th, 2017 07:15 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Petrus
Quanchi always argues over Maul, and never ever accepts his [numerous] mistakes.
You are lying. I argue based off the facts you try to make it your own personal anti Quan agenda. Learn from me, boy.

Old Post Mar 28th, 2017 07:16 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Petrus
Debonaire Member

Sure Quan, everybody in this forum thinks you're not Maul-biased at all. thumb up

"Do not go gentle into that good night"

Old Post Mar 28th, 2017 07:51 PM
Click here to Send Petrus a Private Message Find more posts by Petrus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

As I've made clear, "don't have growth" isn't needed here, so to argue I'm clinging to it is illogical, what makes the quote indocation clear is that then having a shorter fights is a result of them being very good fighters compared to there tcw incarnations who had longer or as feloni says prolonged lightsaber fights indicates clearly they've grown. The growth just reinforces this.

And the shorter fight isn't just that they progressed, it's that combined with them having fought each other and knowing each other's moves, combined with the fact that this fight was portrayed in a different set of way than usual fights.

Also Maul "not having as much going for him" doesn't remotely mean he decreased as a combatant. Him being undid by never letting Gomes kenobi wouldn't change with sod maul who has the exact same problems. The quote still doesn't indicate that he himself decreased.

Kenobi and maul not being equals and their being a gap(which was still exaggerated massively by the style of fitting that was opted for) doesn't at all contradict them both growing which is made clear by feloni's statement, so it doesn't at all disprove or counter my argument.

They're different explanations but they aren't contradictory.

Also, I never said you were suggesting anything about kenobi not growing so I'm not sure why you feel the need to restate that

Old Post Mar 28th, 2017 11:16 PM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samappo

quote:
Hey, loser I wasn't here yesterday and I just refuted your biased argumentation.

Because you're not biased at all in favor of Darth Maul laughing

The Sith are not placid stars but singularities. Rather than burn with muted purpose, we warp space and time to twist the galaxy to our own design. - Darth Plagueis

Last edited by samappo on Mar 29th, 2017 at 10:17 AM

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 10:14 AM
Click here to Send samappo a Private Message Find more posts by samappo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samappo

Originally posted by quanchi112
The point is he didn't plan on being defeated by Windu and quickly changed tactics when his initial fl tactics failed to get through the defenses of Windu. Windu won Sidious lost. Quit with the excuses. One guy won one guy lost.

Can you provide a source showing that Sidious didn't plan to be defeated?

Yes, you are correct. He could not penetrate Windu's defenses since the Jedi Master was using Vaapad to equalise the fight, as well as shatterpoint (from Anakin) to break Sidious' defenses. However, once Sidious unleashed his lightning, it was too much for even Vaapad to handle:

Now Anakin was at Mace's shoulder. Palpatine still made no move to defend himself from Skywalker; instead he ramped up the lightning bursting from his hands, bending the fountain of Mace's blade back toward the Korun Master's face.

Palpatine’s eyes glowed with power, casting a yellow glare that burned back the rain from around them. "He is a traitor, Anakin. Destroy him."

"You're the chosen one, Anakin," Mace said, his voice going thin with strain. This was beyond Vaapad; he had no strength left to fight against his own blade. "Take him. It's your destiny."

As you can see, when Palpatine unleashes enough power of the dark side, even Vaapad can't stop it. Palpatine had the fight in his hands the whole time.

Don't give me the 'one person won, one person lost, deal with it' nonsense. Maul lost to Kenobi, no excuses. Maul lost to Sidious, no excuses. Maul lost to Kenobi, no excuses.

As soon as you start typing out your explanation and context, you become what you're critiscing. I was trying to explain that Palpatine controlled the overall event, and you say I'm using excuses. Should that not apply to you to?

quote:
Anakin changing teams is what got him killed. Two against one. You use double standards and it's kind of nauseating. Immature you ignore Vader throwing the decrepit old man down the shaft to his death. He had one friggin hand. Idiot.

As I showed above with my quote from the novelisation, Palpatine was perfectly capable of killing Mace with his lightning, so two against one is irrelevant.

quote:
Those films clearly showed or implied when it was a force ghost. Was this implied at all ? When we see Jedi and Sith moving if it isn't implied or shown do we assume it's a force ghost. It's up to you to prove it. We see Kenobi's death you dummy. It was clear. If you can't tell the difference between a force ghost in the films when it's clearly different special effects to show they are force ghosts you're an idiot.

This is like 'does God exist'. I'm the atheist and you're the believer. Neither of us have definitive proof. You can't definitively prove Tano lived (through sources and not your reasoning or opinion not backed by official sources) and I can't definitively prove that she's a force ghost. So let's just let go of this one.

quote:
So yes he was a hidden mastermind and attacked his foe before they all knew who was the real threat. Intelligent war tactic but cowardly since he kept himself hidden. He gave the orders and orchestrated the events but was lucky to survive Windu. my point is it wasn't just Palpatine he had a galactic army at his behest and the traitor Anakin. He was still attacked by Yoda who being the epitome of failure failed to capitalize on the attempt on his life.

'Lucky to survive Windu' .... oh lord.

Orchestrating events doesn't make you a coward.

quote:
"The Emperor is deadly dangerous." - Gillard

quote:
Outwardly frail, Palpatine was in truth a cunning warrior capable of besting even the greatest Jedi warrior in lightsaber combat or by conjuring powerfully destructive Force lightning.

quote:
"Pertaining to whether Sidious is right-handed or left-handed with a lightsaber, he's ambidextrous. He's just that good. Sidious' abilities are beyond anything we've experienced."

Hardly the description of a coward.

quote:
No, you didn't you tried making excuses. He lost. Deal with it. Sidious went from being overconfident to lacking confidence because he's a coward. He was never a true warrior more a masterminded coward when his life was in danger. Yoda did lose but he's the same dipshit who couldn't close the deal on Dooku despite the gravity of the situation. Yoda didn't defeat Dooku so this isn't surprising. He is awful.

I've addressed Sidious.

Yoda is not a dipshit. In AotC he was smashing Dooku. Dooku just used a distraction to escape because he knew he was going to die. Plus, I don't have a definitive quote for this, but I have heard, possibly taken from the comic containing the fight or the novelisation, that Yoda was holding back as well since he was reluctant to kill his former apprentice.

Also Yoda is a 9 in lightsaber combat, the only other one being Sidious. So he clearly outclasses Dooku.

quote:
After fatally wounding his master and disarming Kenobi to taunt him it isn't embarrassing in the slightest. Kenobi can't die until ANH so please stop. We already know who can and can't die. So what if he cut his saber in two. Maul disarmed him and had him at his mercy.

Maul defeated the Jedi master. The same Jedi master who was attacking him with Kenobi. Maul despite being cut in half and falling hundreds of feet survived. Palpatine wasn't cut in half nor was he injured in any way but was just tossed. He died. Poor guy. He lost to a wounded and one handed Vader without a saber. What's even more embarrassing is the same mastermind didn't see a father coming to the aid of his son while Sheev tortured him. Dumb and pitiful weary to die for someone with galactic power to put himself in that position.

Sooo I could say Maul getting ragdolled by Sidious or the fact that Sidious could execute Maul at any moment is irrelevant because we know that Sidious wouldn't do that? And that Maul couldn't die yet because he dies in Rebels? Okay....

Don't care for excuses Quan, 'Maul disarmed him and had him at his mercy.' doesn't cut it. Maul was the superior fighter, but guess what? Using your own medicine against you. Kenobi won, Maul lost. Get over it.

Palpatine made a falser error of judgement concerning Vader's feelings. Big deal.

Are you implying that Palpatine didn't know pain or something? It feels like in your ever so annoying biased explanation of Maul's hardships, including him being cut in half, that you think Sheev was some lightweight who couldn't take pain?

Plagueis made him survive on an extremely cold world, so much so that he developed ways in the force to deal with it that even Plagueis didn't know how to use.

Sidious also got bitten by Maul, drawing blood, and he didn't care in the slightest.

Not to mention in the latest book that was released, Vader actually falls down and Sidious helps him up with what Vader muses as unnatural strength.

The Sith are not placid stars but singularities. Rather than burn with muted purpose, we warp space and time to twist the galaxy to our own design. - Darth Plagueis

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 10:16 AM
Click here to Send samappo a Private Message Find more posts by samappo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ Which book?

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 10:35 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samappo

For what ?

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 10:37 AM
Darth Thor

"Not to mention in the latest book that was released, Vader actually falls down and Sidious helps him up with what Vader muses as unnatural strength."

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 10:49 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samappo

Lords of the Sith, here's the quote.

He grasped it two-handed again, preparing another blow, but she reared up hard, bucking, and flung him to the floor. He landed near his Master, who grabbed him by the arm and heaved him to his feet with uncanny strength.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 11:23 AM
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Petrus
Sure Quan, everybody in this forum thinks you're not Maul-biased at all. thumb up
I am objective and embrace the facts. I wish you'd come around.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 02:02 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by samappo
Because you're not biased at all in favor of Darth Maul laughing
I am objective unlike yourself.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 02:02 PM
samappo

I am objective unlike yourself.

Darth Maul is a good character and a powerful Sith Lord and duelist, but he's not invincible, and Sidious could ragdoll him. Oh that's right he did ragdoll him. Maul begged for mercy as well, so like, don't know why you're calling Sidious pathetic or anything.

Maul went from awesome Sith Lord who took on two Jedi Masters in silence to begging Sidious to let him live after getting toyed with then ragdolled.

Last edited by samappo on Mar 29th, 2017 at 02:55 PM

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 02:53 PM
Darth Thor

^ At least Maul accepted his fate well when he finally was killed though.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 03:32 PM
samappo

Of course.

But don't get why Quanchi is calling Sidious a coward and stuff.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 03:44 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Can you provide a source showing that Sidious didn't plan to be defeated?

Yes, you are correct. He could not penetrate Windu's defenses since the Jedi Master was using Vaapad to equalise the fight, as well as shatterpoint (from Anakin) to break Sidious' defenses. However, once Sidious unleashed his lightning, it was too much for even Vaapad to handle:

Now Anakin was at Mace's shoulder. Palpatine still made no move to defend himself from Skywalker; instead he ramped up the lightning bursting from his hands, bending the fountain of Mace's blade back toward the Korun Master's face.

Palpatine’s eyes glowed with power, casting a yellow glare that burned back the rain from around them. "He is a traitor, Anakin. Destroy him."

"You're the chosen one, Anakin," Mace said, his voice going thin with strain. This was beyond Vaapad; he had no strength left to fight against his own blade. "Take him. It's your destiny."

As you can see, when Palpatine unleashes enough power of the dark side, even Vaapad can't stop it. Palpatine had the fight in his hands the whole time.

Don't give me the 'one person won, one person lost, deal with it' nonsense. Maul lost to Kenobi, no excuses. Maul lost to Sidious, no excuses. Maul lost to Kenobi, no excuses.

As soon as you start typing out your explanation and context, you become what you're critiscing. I was trying to explain that Palpatine controlled the overall event, and you say I'm using excuses. Should that not apply to you to?

As I showed above with my quote from the novelisation, Palpatine was perfectly capable of killing Mace with his lightning, so two against one is irrelevant.

This is like 'does God exist'. I'm the atheist and you're the believer. Neither of us have definitive proof. You can't definitively prove Tano lived (through sources and not your reasoning or opinion not backed by official sources) and I can't definitively prove that she's a force ghost. So let's just let go of this one.

'Lucky to survive Windu' .... oh lord.

Orchestrating events doesn't make you a coward.

Hardly the description of a coward.

I've addressed Sidious.

Yoda is not a dipshit. In AotC he was smashing Dooku. Dooku just used a distraction to escape because he knew he was going to die. Plus, I don't have a definitive quote for this, but I have heard, possibly taken from the comic containing the fight or the novelisation, that Yoda was holding back as well since he was reluctant to kill his former apprentice.

Also Yoda is a 9 in lightsaber combat, the only other one being Sidious. So he clearly outclasses Dooku.

Sooo I could say Maul getting ragdolled by Sidious or the fact that Sidious could execute Maul at any moment is irrelevant because we know that Sidious wouldn't do that? And that Maul couldn't die yet because he dies in Rebels? Okay....

Don't care for excuses Quan, 'Maul disarmed him and had him at his mercy.' doesn't cut it. Maul was the superior fighter, but guess what? Using your own medicine against you. Kenobi won, Maul lost. Get over it.

Palpatine made a falser error of judgement concerning Vader's feelings. Big deal.

Are you implying that Palpatine didn't know pain or something? It feels like in your ever so annoying biased explanation of Maul's hardships, including him being cut in half, that you think Sheev was some lightweight who couldn't take pain?

Plagueis made him survive on an extremely cold world, so much so that he developed ways in the force to deal with it that even Plagueis didn't know how to use.

Sidious also got bitten by Maul, drawing blood, and he didn't care in the slightest.

Not to mention in the latest book that was released, Vader actually falls down and Sidious helps him up with what Vader muses as unnatural strength.
Your quote won't show up unless quick quoted. Annoying. It isn't up to me to disprove your Palpatine planned on losing theory. You have to first prove it. Your biased claims need to be verified. That's how it works. When guys clearly light saber duel unless proven we assume each party wants to win.

Maul lost due to being out of his prime. Context always matters. The rest has been discussed ad naesuem. Windu prevailed and Palpatine used his cunning to manipulate Anakin. End of story. If you feel otherwise prove it. You quote some book doesn't mean what you believe it does. You're only seeing what you want to like a religious fanatic.

Palaptine was unable to do so with his lightning and it was reflected back into his own face. Only when Anakin intervened that was when Sheev was successful with striking him with fl.

False. We don't assume the more outlandish one is true when nothing has been shown visually or implied it was a force ghost. All other times it was clear. You're reaching and even then that has nothing to do with Tano vs. Vader since it was the explosion not his skill in a duel, kiddo.

He was lucky to survive since it was by mere chance Anakin intervened. He relied on the help of another to gain the advantage on Windu.

You do realize cowardice has nothing to do with skill level of a warrior.

Dooku being in a tier below Yoda only makes him more the moron. You also claim he may have held back despite the gravity of the situation which affected the entire galaxy. A Jedi aren't supposed to give into emotion so the leader of the Jedi aka the supposed wisest you claim even fell victim. Thanks for the assist. He's an idiot since he either held back or just plain didn't deliver against an inferior opponent.

Maul's fate wasn't tied to rebels prior to their meeting in clone wars or SoD. That's the difference since Kenobi's fate was the first Star Wars movie. Do you understand the difference and they were free to kill Maul off at any point and that his fate hadn't been set in stone whereas Kenobi's was.

Maul lost due to being overconfident and not pressing. I have never denied this as always I go by the facts.

Plaguies isn't canon yet. I'm also saying Palpatine trying to flee from a one on one situation against a tier 9 peer is cowardice.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 07:54 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Of course.

But don't get why Quanchi is calling Sidious a coward and stuff.
Due to him trying to flee from Yoda after one force push. That's cowardice.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 07:54 PM
Unbowed

Exactly.

At the end of the day Maul has to get credit for having the courage to go against someone he knew was "the strongest being in the galaxy", something neither Vader or Dooku even dreamed of doing.

And as for him begging for mercy, no one ever considers the psychological aspect of it. Maul was basically raised by Sidious, he worshipped him. Darth Plagueis notes Sidious and Maul had a "filial bond". I doubt Maul ever feared death, and physical pain is something that doesn't phase him.

Most likely it was the thought of dying at the hand of his father/demigod that made him unravel.

Sidious on the other hand was ready to call it quits immediately after getting a hint that Yoda could be as strong as him. Classic bully/coward behavior.

Maul has his faults but he is a warrior and has honor. Sidious is a slimy politician.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 08:59 PM
Click here to Send Unbowed a Private Message Find more posts by Unbowed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by Unbowed
At the end of the day Maul has to get credit for having the courage to go against someone he knew was "the strongest being in the galaxy", something neither Vader or Dooku even dreamed of doing.

Actually, Vader dreamed about doing it. Like, all the time.

quote:
And as for him begging for mercy, no one ever considers the psychological aspect of it. Maul was basically raised by Sidious, he worshipped him. Darth Plagueis notes Sidious and Maul had a "filial bond."

While this is true...

quote:
I doubt Maul ever feared death, and physical pain is something that doesn't phase him.

Filoni's commentary on the matter outright invalidates your first claim, and considering how he was screaming up to the credits, I'd say the second is also pretty void.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 10:47 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Petrus
Debonaire Member

Oh you mean like when Maul screamed in terror begging for Sidious to stop torturing him, with a clear look of fear in his face? Yeah that's the very definition of bravery. smile

Anyway, cowardice is honestly a common trait among Sith, so it's not like it matters.

"Do not go gentle into that good night"

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 11:04 PM
Click here to Send Petrus a Private Message Find more posts by Petrus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote