KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Valkorion vs Count Dooku and Mace Windu

Valkorion vs Count Dooku and Mace Windu
Started by: slayne

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

in canon sids was amped by the ascent of the darkside and otherwise they were equals

Old Post Aug 1st, 2017 08:05 AM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

That's assuming the balance being tipped in one direction or the other hinders the other side. That would certainly raise my placement of Bane and the other RoT Sith up to late Plagueis and Sidious.

"I worked Jack in" - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2017 06:09 PM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

No, there's a quote, that literally says yoda and sidious were equals but the ascendant darkside gave sids the edge.

I don't even think it' sthe unblancing thing, it's the whole order 66 shizz

Old Post Aug 1st, 2017 07:06 PM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

Not sure what you're referring to tbh.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2017 07:25 PM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
thesithmaster
Dark Lord of the Sith

Yoda and Sidious are not equals. Starwars.com outright states Sidious overwhelmed Yoda.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2017 08:17 PM
Click here to Send thesithmaster a Private Message Find more posts by thesithmaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

quote: (post)
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
Not sure what you're referring to tbh.

ant found it and posted it on hangouts, I shall post
note: it only applies to canon, no tlegends

Old Post Aug 1st, 2017 08:17 PM
toplel
Restricted

Account Restricted

sidious beating infinite vaders is some of the funniest shit ive ever heard LMAO

Old Post Aug 1st, 2017 09:29 PM
Click here to Send toplel a Private Message Find more posts by toplel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Originally posted by toplel
sidious beating infinite vaders is some of the funniest shit ive ever heard LMAO

Here is my case:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...00#post15988500

smile

Old Post Aug 1st, 2017 10:00 PM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
thesithmaster
Dark Lord of the Sith

While I don't think Sidious could beat infinite Vaders, the case is good.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2017 12:17 AM
Click here to Send thesithmaster a Private Message Find more posts by thesithmaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

"good"

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2017 12:19 AM
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Originally posted by thesithmaster
While I don't think Sidious could beat infinite Vaders, the case is good.

Thank you

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2017 04:45 AM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Valkorion crushes them, honestly.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2017 06:25 AM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
@Stealth Moose
1. 'Canonical statements' mean jackshit without evidence to back them up, especially when they consist of C-canon attempting to masquerade as G-canon.

1. I'm sorry then. We're not going to agree on this. Canonical statements mean more then your opinion to me.[/b]

Your use of 'canonical statements' ignores context. Not all canon is equal. As I've pointed out before, G-canon (that is, content coming directly from series God George Lucas) supercedes all others per Legends/original canon rule. C-canon or lower is subject to scrutiny.

I'll use the simple analogy again:

You see a crime via a camera recording in HD. You also talk to an eyewitness who gives a quicker, less nuanced version of events from their POV.

Which is more reliable evidence for prosecution?

If you said the eyewitness, you're being a fool.

G-canon > C-canon which is supported by G-canon > Blurb which can be contested with G-canon evidence >>>>>>> A mod in KotOR that makes you a naked twi-lek.

quote:
'Canonical statements' say Sids knew and somehow mastered all seven forms of lightsaber combat. G-canon shows Sidious losing both of his duels against Mace and Yoda. Should we accept blindly C-canon meant to embellish actual canon, or use reason to evaluate the evidence we can actually substantiate.

How does Sidious losing to Mace and Yoda mean he didn't master all 7 forms of lightsaber combat? We should accept stated facts regardless of our opinions.

Blind acceptance is awfully convenient for people who just like to hear their opinions reaffirmed by the evidence.

The C-canon statement had been set forth that Sidious had mastered all seven forms of lightsaber combat. There's a lot wrong with this:

1. To become a master or proficient in lightsaber combat takes a long time. One C-canon novel describes Jedi having tens of thousands of hours of practice to reach proficiency in just a few styles. Ten thousand hours of saber practice is over 400 days, or a solid year of practice. And this isn't masters we're talking about here; it's stock Jedi. The idea of mastering seven forms of lightsaber training is insane. I could point out that most Writers Can't Do Math trope and assert that no Jedi but Yoda could ever do this.

2. Sidious was a closet sociopath and politician for much of his life, and spent a few scant decades as a Sith before ROTS. The idea that he mastered all seven forms of lightsaber combat from his sole master seems extremely unlikely. His busy daytime lifestyle would prevent total commitment to his training, and with one or two other people to train with, his actual level of understanding and mastery is contestable.

3. He was easily disarmed by Yoda and Mace Windu. Windu used a front kick and Yoda made him just look bad at dueling. The only people he dominates lack a frontal lobe and let him blitz them in a doorway.

A rational examination of the evidence makes it seem shaky. That it's not supported by higher canon makes it largely undefendable. If you want to just take all statements as equally valid, that's foolish. If you only want to accept statements as valid when they support your favorite unreproachable characters, that's dishonest.

Either way, my point stands.

quote:
It's really really simple: without evidence, it cannot be defended. Saying Sidious was more powerful in the Force than Yoda requires evidence, which the movie does not provide. Indeed, Yoda actually throws back everything Sids uses. Comparatively, Yoda does not use the Force offensively, and when he does, Sidious doesn't try to defend himself against it.

The movie doesn't need to provide it when another source does.

Jesus Christ.

The Holocron was divided into five levels of canon (in order of precedence): G-canon, T-canon, C-canon, S-canon, and N-canon.

GWL-canon or G-canon stood for George Lucas canon: Marked GWL after George Lucas (whose middle name is Walton). It included Episodes I–VI (the released films at that time), and any statements by George Lucas (including unpublished production notes from him or his production department that are never seen by the public). Elements originating with Lucas in the scripts, filmed deleted scenes, film novelizations, reference books, radio plays, and other primary sources were also G-canon when not in contradiction with the released films. GWL-canon overrode the lower levels of canon when there was a contradiction. In the words of Leland Chee: "George's view of the universe is his view. He's not beholded to what's gone before."

I can't make this any more apparent; if it contradicts G-canon, it's not canon. It's so damn axiomatic. If C-canon blurb says X, and the G-canon movie depicts not X, then it's not X.

quote:
You could say "Him not stopping the pod isn't evidence of being unable to do so", and in a certain light, you're right. However, if you assert "He could do so, he just chose not to, because leaping to the side is better", this begs the question of why he didn't just stop the pod as well. After all, he would have to do less work than Yoda did; he had gravity on his side. He also had all the time in the world.

Because he chose not, it's as simple as that. A logical reason being it was simply less energy to move out of the way. [/b]

Really? It's less energy to barely leap to the side instead of reach out with your superior Force powers and stop something coming at you slowly and against gravity?

No, that's not logical. Not even close.

quote:
It also makes me wonder why every time Yoda counters his Force powers he pulls a scared face. I mean, I use a scared face when I assert my Force dominance over others, but that's just because I'm really good.

I don't really care why Sidious makes spoopy faces. Unless it supports a point that isn't contradicted by actual canon it's irrelevant to me.

I'm going to gloss over this since I'll start repeating myself ad infinitum.

quote:
Can you point out to me where Sidious won the Force duel? Did he use his amazing Force powers to grab a rail? Is that it? I'll concede that point. After all, the greatest Sith user evah must have won against the greatest light side user evah by virtue of good hand grip. A shame he lost that power when Vader benchpressed him into the abyss.

Ah ah ah. I never said he won the Force duel. I said, and I quote ""I disagree that he won the lightning match as well" ( in reference to Yoda ) in regards to your claim that Sidious had caught him off guard.

You explicitly noted that Yoda was Sidious' inferior in the same reply. Granted, it is not easy to read because your syntax is rough, but you made a point to state that Yoda was somehow inferior.

My entire rant has been a direct response to the idea that Sidious is Yoda's superior in Force or saber combat. If you want to move the goalposts and still somehow disagree with me, it's time wasted. My point-by-point detailed how Yoda won the saber battle conclusively, and he met or surpassed all of Sidious' Force showings in the same setting. The ring out effectively stopped the fight, meaning on neutral ground Sidious would have no such advantage. He would likely lose. As it is, the ability to escape to higher ground probably kept him alive since he lost his lightsaber.

quote:
3. As I've said repeatedly, 'canonical statements' which are themselves vague assertions based on evidence we can both see for ourselves can be evaluated using reason, instead of blind acceptance. This isn't the Bible; you can freely question their validity and for intellectual integrity, should.

I'm sorry. I can't question a statement of fact unlike yourself. You're just too much of an enlightened individual for me. Your gospel means nothing to this sinner.

So you choose confirmation bias. Got it.

quote:
The movie, which is the most easily interpreted evidence, the one which best fits GL's vision, and per the old canon rules before Disney, superceded all other forms of canon, has evidence which clearly shows Yoda dominating in the saber fight, and dominating or at least stalemating in the Force fight.

I disagree. At best it had evidence indicating your position. And if these C canon sources didn't exist to clarify events I might even agree with your interpretation. Unfortunately, they do exist, and I find myself compelled to side with their version of events over yours'.

My position is well-fleshed-out and uses easily examined evidence. Your position is that mine is wrong because a blurb which barely touches on the events in discussion says something else.

There's a word for that: bias.

quote:
The assertion that Sidious won either aspect of the duel does not reflect in the evidence. Secondary evidence of a lesser nature which supports your assertion is not absolute and requires scrutiny.

Interpretations of higher canon evidence doesn't beat clarifications of lower canon imo. That's my position and I'm not going to be changing it anytime soon.

Good thing 'imo' isn't a measure of objectivity in a debate setting. If you intend to refute, you must debate using measurable evidence. Your opinion, gut feeling, fuzzy warm place, or magic eight ball doesn't do it.

quote:
4. Why?

For the reasons listed above.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 08:12 AM
Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

windu can solo. Vapaad isn'ta one-time thing, And yes, Mace can compete with Sidious.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 08:14 AM
S_W_LeGenD

^^^

Unlikely.

People mistakenly assume that Vaapad is sort of a God Card that translates into victory in all situations. Where is the evidence?

Vaapad enabled Mace Windu to exchange blows with Palpatine and cope with the latter's Force Lightning - all good. However, this is one side of the coin. The other side is that Palpatine faked his defeat in order to manipulate Anakin Skywalker. So we have a murky picture in this case.

There is no guarantee that Windu can respond to Valkorion's Dark Blast or cope with his FLS and other powers. Valkorion may also choose to affect the mind of his opponent, reducing the effectiveness of his subject and/or easier to defeat.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on Sep 29th, 2017 at 08:55 AM

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 08:48 AM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
godemperortrump
Restricted

Account Restricted

'Cuz Vaapad' isn't an argument

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 09:22 AM
Click here to Send godemperortrump a Private Message Find more posts by godemperortrump Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

The GTCSN system no longer exists, Moose.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 09:38 AM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
^^^

Unlikely.

People mistakenly assume that Vaapad is sort of a God Card that translates into victory in all situations. Where is the evidence?

Vaapad enabled Mace Windu to exchange blows with Palpatine and cope with the latter's Force Lightning - all good. However, this is one side of the coin. The other side is that Palpatine faked his defeat in order to manipulate Anakin Skywalker. So we have a murky picture in this case.

There is no guarantee that Windu can respond to Valkorion's Dark Blast or cope with his FLS and other powers. Valkorion may also choose to affect the mind of his opponent, reducing the effectiveness of his subject and/or easier to defeat.

That there are circumstances present in Mace winning doesn't mean that Mace's contention was circumstantial. Factually, per word of god, Mace can compete with Sidious in an all-out bout.
The superconducting loop applied to power in general, not specific abilities. Aside from the superconducting loop, Valk will have trouble getting the opportunity to use the force when faced with the offensive onslaught of a duelist bordering on the level of the best duelists in the entire mythos(up until that time at least).

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 10:02 AM
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Valkorion wins.

”You presume limits to my power. There are none.”

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 10:53 AM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

quote:
Stealth Moose
Good thing 'imo' isn't a measure of objectivity in a debate setting. If you intend to refute, you must debate using measurable evidence. Your opinion, gut feeling, fuzzy warm place, or magic eight ball doesn't do it.

An ironic sentiment coming from the man whose argument is best summarized as "I don't like what your sources say, therefore they're wrong."

• The canon tier system (G, T, C, etc.) no longer applies since the canon/Legends split back in 2014. A thing is canon or it is Legends. Legends is not canon.
  • Many, many sources disagree with your interpretation of the film. Your interpretation of the film doesn't override those sources. I'm sure most of the writers involved with Star Wars are familiar with even the extremely obscure film known as... Episode III.
  • Your argument that Sidious just can't be a master of all forms of combat because he's challenged by another master of all forms of combat (with more experience) and a high-end master of multiple forms in Mace is hella weak, even for you. Yours is a textbook appeal to incredulity with absolutely no evidence to support it. We have a valid source explicitly stating he is and nothing to explicitly contradict it beyond your age-old dislike of a character.

In summary, the only confirmation bias here is - per usual - yours. In the face of explicit evidence, you bring nothing to the table beyond indignation and tears.

It's been 12 years, Moose. Take your L and

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 11:05 AM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote