KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Valkorion vs Count Dooku and Mace Windu

Valkorion vs Count Dooku and Mace Windu
Started by: slayne

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « First ... « 5 6 [7]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
UCanShootMyNova

@StealthMoose: I was trying to be generous and not push a reality you were clearly unwilling to accept onto you but to clarify, siding with a canonical source over a random fan's interpretation of a scene isn't an opinion or bias. It's simply common sense.

"I worked Jack in" - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 06:38 PM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

quote: (post)
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
@StealthMoose: I was trying to be generous and not push a reality you were clearly unwilling to accept onto you but to clarify, siding with a canonical source over a random fan's interpretation of a scene isn't an opinion or bias. It's simply common sense.

kek

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 06:50 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by Azronger
The GTCSN system no longer exists, Moose.

In the eyes of what is or isn't part of the Disney canon, true.

It's still an accurate tool for measuring the objectivity of evidence. It's really sad that I have to even use it when people are just going "DERR IS CANON CUZ IT SAYS X" and I'm actually going over the direct source in question instead of a blurb. It would be like taking a book quiz based simply on the author's cousin's take on three chapters. No, that actually might be more accurate.

Naysayers: "This source, which I've indicated is canon (canon apparently being unable to be analyzed), is more valid than your actual examination of the event in question using canon which exists before my canon and upon which my canon is supposedly based etc."

Me: "FFS, you have eyes and ears. Analyze the fight. You can't hide behind absolute statements when actual evidence contradicts it. This is Logic 101."

Originally posted by The_Tempest
An ironic sentiment coming from the man whose argument is best summarized as "I don't like what your sources say, therefore they're wrong."

• The canon tier system (G, T, C, etc.) no longer applies since the canon/Legends split back in 2014. A thing is canon or it is Legends. Legends is not canon.
  • Many, many sources disagree with your interpretation of the film. Your interpretation of the film doesn't override those sources. I'm sure most of the writers involved with Star Wars are familiar with even the extremely obscure film known as... Episode III.
  • Your argument that Sidious just can't be a master of all forms of combat because he's challenged by another master of all forms of combat (with more experience) and a high-end master of multiple forms in Mace is hella weak, even for you. Yours is a textbook appeal to incredulity with absolutely no evidence to support it. We have a valid source explicitly stating he is and nothing to explicitly contradict it beyond your age-old dislike of a character.

In summary, the only confirmation bias here is - per usual - yours. In the face of explicit evidence, you bring nothing to the table beyond indignation and tears.

It's been 12 years, Moose. Take your L and

(please log in to view the image)

1. No, that's not how to summarize my statement. But you were always the lord of strawmans and that's not likely to change anytime soon.

2. See above. The caste system of old Legends canon still makes axiomatic sense, because the works of George Lucas are always superior to works which draw conclusions on it from secondary authors and creators. It takes ten minutes tops to write a blurb or holocron article; it took days or weeks to film, revise, and choreograph the Sids/Yoda fight. You cannot with any reasonable sanity expect me to believe that GL was mistaken in showing Sidious as visibly inferior and "MUH CANON" is the absolute arbiter of the truth.

3. The Trump angle of "everyone knows it" is adorable, but you should try sourcing your arguments a bit. Perhaps you've gotten lazy in your old age. Here, I'll make this simple for you - The events of the movie, as noted by me and easily cross-examined by everyone who owns internet access or a copy of the DVD, supports the idea that Sidious was NOT superior in the Yoda/Sids fight, and actually was disarmed, failed to achieve mastery in the Force battles, and won because he had a handrail.

I'm sorry this really hurts your ten plus year streak of "Sidious is Gawd", but the truth sometimes hurts.

4. The entire side-argument of him being unlikely to have 'mastered' all seven forms of Lightsaber combat was a direct example indicating the disconnect between G canon and C canon; the fact that you overlooked or ignored the context means you should read slower, or with someone to help you. GL doesn't show Sidious dominating actual bonafide master swordsmen. He only shows him dominating (at the time) no-feat wonders in what might be the worst choreographed fight scene since Equilibrium's intro. Sidious acts erratically and the Jedi Masters take him seriously, but he is very easily disarmed by both. Hell, Mace -frontkicks- his weapon from his hand; that's amateur hour at its finest.

The support for Sidious NOT being a master of all seven forms of lightsaber combat is likely given the evidence. He had less opportunities to practice, fewer people to learn from and practice with, and he is dominated by actual Jedi masters.

The support for Sidious knowing all seven forms of combat and mastering them is.... a line of C-canon.

Ready for your predictable response tho.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 09:27 AM
Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova

Common sense is neither common nor exactly sensible. It's often a cover-word for "I can't provide my argument, so I'm going to assume you're wrong and than claim it's self-evident".

If you can't provide the argument, but you intend to believe in "MUH CANON" as holy and unapproachable, then we're done. You can't be reasoned with, and at this point you're being obtuse.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 09:31 AM
Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

quote:
Moose
You can't be reasoned with, and at this point you're being obtuse.

quote:
Moose
1. No, that's not how to summarize my statement. But you were always the lord of strawmans and that's not likely to change anytime soon.

Indeed: I suppose my summary lent your argument more credibility than it actually deserved. But I'm generous like that with old friends.

quote:
Moose
2. See above. The caste system of old Legends canon still makes axiomatic sense, because the works of George Lucas are always superior to works which draw conclusions on it from secondary authors and creators.

No, it doesn't. The caste system no longer applies because what is canon and what is Legends are two mutually exclusive categories. Ergo, no reason to "rank" how canon a non-canon thing is. I'm trying to determine a simpler combination of words to convey the point, but I'm not sure this is possible.

quote:
Moose
It takes ten minutes tops to write a blurb or holocron article; it took days or weeks to film, revise, and choreograph the Sids/Yoda fight. You cannot with any reasonable sanity expect me to believe that GL was mistaken in showing Sidious as visibly inferior and "MUH CANON" is the absolute arbiter of the truth.

Contrary to your insinuations, you're not the only person who's watched or reviewed Episode III. It stands to reason that the writers involved with Legends and canon continuity are familiar with Revenge of the Sith.

It's kind of a big deal.

Probably even listed in the job requirements.

quote:
Moose
3. The Trump angle of "everyone knows it" is adorable, but you should try sourcing your arguments a bit. Perhaps you've gotten lazy in your old age. Here, I'll make this simple for you - The events of the movie, as noted by me and easily cross-examined by everyone who owns internet access or a copy of the DVD, supports the idea that Sidious was NOT superior in the Yoda/Sids fight, and actually was disarmed, failed to achieve mastery in the Force battles, and won because he had a handrail.

If your threshold for humiliation can withstand source after source after source explicitly contradicting your own interpretation, then sure. I'll post sources and screenshots for as many as I can find when I get home. thumb up

quote:
Moose
4. The entire side-argument of him being unlikely to have 'mastered' all seven forms of Lightsaber combat was a direct example indicating the disconnect between G canon and C canon;

There is no G and C canon.

quote:
Moose
the fact that you overlooked or ignored the context means you should read slower, or with someone to help you.

More irony from the man whose entire argument is predicated on a false premise, because:

quote:
Me
There is no G and C canon.

quote:
Moose
GL doesn't show Sidious dominating actual bonafide master swordsmen. He only shows him dominating (at the time) no-feat wonders in what might be the worst choreographed fight scene since Equilibrium's intro. Sidious acts erratically and the Jedi Masters take him seriously, but he is very easily disarmed by both. Hell, Mace -frontkicks- his weapon from his hand; that's amateur hour at its finest.

Yes, we're familiar with your scintillating commentary on the fight scene. No one disputes that the choreography is terrible. What people dispute are the ridiculous conclusions you and you alone draw from one badly choreographed scene while simultaneously discarding shittons of evidence to the contrary in order to satisfy your 12 year grudge against a fictional character who's more powerful, important, and successful than Marka Ragnos.

quote:
Moose
The support for Sidious NOT being a master of all seven forms of lightsaber combat is likely given the evidence.

If by "evidence" you really mean "the abundant nerd!rage of a defeated Antediluvian" and only if we exclude the actual evidence... such as the valid source that specifically calls him one, then yeah, sure.

quote:
Moose
He had less opportunities to practice, fewer people to learn from and practice with, and he is dominated by actual Jedi masters.

This is how Star Wars prodigies often work, my friend.

quote:
Moose
I'm sorry this really hurts your ten plus year streak of "Sidious is Gawd", but the truth sometimes hurts.

I know this is the heart of the matter for you: having witnessed the absolute annihilation of the Antediluvian platform ages ago. But again, I beseech you:

quote:
Me
It's been 12 years, Moose. Take your L and

It's long past time, my friend.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 12:15 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gehenna
Sorgo

Contrary to your insinuations, you're not the only person who's watched or reviewed Episode III. It stands to reason that the writers involved with Legends and canon continuity are familiar with Revenge of the Sith.

Does the familiarity of those writers and such matter, though? I ask this seriously.

Hear me out on this.

"The Death of the Author" is an essay on literary criticism written by Roland Barthes in the late sixties. He posits that the audience/reader/viewer must separate a work from it's creator in order to break free from the "interpretative tyranny" of the author/writer. This is to say that this is generally something one reasonably does when there are several conflicting interpretations from the authority of a said work.

I mean, we look to these authorities for confirmation to inform these hypothetical battles and "versus" situations but how unbreakable is that really? Most of these discussions involve individuals going back and forth like they're discussing genuinely objective facts about these enormously subjective bodies of work. Film-making is one part industry and another part art, fundamentally. The latter is obviously the facet of film-making that is most relevant in all of these discussions.

In all honesty, why wouldn't what takes place on the screen take precedence? I question whether or not author/writer intent is important enough or even matters enough to have any sort of weighty merit among these disagreements. Especially with a fictional universe like Star Wars? With so many changes, contradictions, swathes of periods being considered "unofficial" (Legends), etc?

What we see matters and there is likely more than one interpretation that is "correct." It doesn't necessarily translate to, "What will go, goes." However, it would seem that the author/writer is not capable of holding infallible dominion over the intention of what they create.

Hypothetical incoming:

If GL himself woke up tomorrow and said Yoda was the weakest character in the SW universe? Or if a collection of writers/current authorities said that, I don't know, Jocasta Nu was the strongest? I mean, what would you really have to say? Is it enough to suggest that it is the most reasonable decision to concede because they created these works, whether it's an old intention to change these characters or a relatively embryonic one?

If Nu was the strongest, how could it be possible with how she's dispatched? If Yoda is the weakest, how was he not defeated every time? "It doesn't matter, the creators and authorities said so" isn't good enough and to be honest? In these disagreements? I don't think it has been for a long time.

What we see and reasonable interpretations seem to have the highest degree of jurisdiction. Things like improvisation, author contradiction, a writer changing his mind? These things throw a wrench into the works regarding author/writer interpretation as being a preeminent authority about the work itself. "They created it" is lacking when considering the circumstances and the very nature of any specific artistic work or even the world-building involved.

The thing about author interpretation is that it suffers from the same limitations as reader/audience interpretation; It can be paradoxical, change over time, and might not be the best explanation. As Barthes surmised, a writer's interpretation of his own works are no more valid than the interpretations of any of the readers/audience and that a solitary vision and/or "right" interpretation is to "impose a limit on that text."

Translating that to discussing these versus battles, it's veracity becomes clear. Arguments are useless because claims by writers have been made about Sidious' apparent mastery over everything, from lightsabers to perhaps even to the force (at least the latter was the case in Legends but not any longer. See what I mean?) Considering the work is intrinsically subjective, the claims (even from writers and authors) are bound by that precondition.

The highest authority is always the work itself. If there can be reasonable arguments made and points demonstrated with enough clarity utilizing that aforementioned work, I don't see how a writer coming along and saying, "Nope" is substantial enough. It leaves much to be desired.

I am going to catch a star system of shit for what I'm about to say but both of your positions come from a place that seems to be slightly askew of how to interpret the work. For one, you have Tempest claiming writer/author authority is the greatest factor when determining who's who, which I find faulty for all the reasons I mentioned above. On the other hand, you have Janus discussing the "objectivity" of the evidence, which seems to do no justice to the work itself.

I would only lean towards Janus' position because it favors the work itself which, through what I just explained, seems to be the more reasonable position when interpreting the abilities and interactions of fictional characters.

That's just my two cents anyway.

Nothing ever ends.

Last edited by Gehenna on Nov 8th, 2017 at 08:11 AM

Old Post Nov 8th, 2017 07:59 AM
Click here to Send Gehenna a Private Message Find more posts by Gehenna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
godemperortrump
Restricted

Account Restricted

Valk could honestly turn any force wielder below the Ones into his slave.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2017 08:07 AM
Click here to Send godemperortrump a Private Message Find more posts by godemperortrump Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Haschwalth

Originally posted by godemperortrump
Valk could honestly turn any force wielder below the Ones into his slave.

Asides Revan.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2017 10:25 AM
Click here to Send Haschwalth a Private Message Find more posts by Haschwalth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
godemperortrump
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Haschwalth
Asides Revan.

Was that supposed to say 'besides?' Because Vitiate did... he just couldn't a second time, which didn't matter because he melted Revan's face smile

Old Post Nov 8th, 2017 10:42 AM
Click here to Send godemperortrump a Private Message Find more posts by godemperortrump Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Mace solos.

Any hax willbe recpericotaed with vappad which isn't a one-time amp.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2017 10:05 PM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

up

Old Post Jan 11th, 2018 05:42 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ursumeles
Traitor

It's kind of a big deal.

Probably even listed in the job requirements.
lmaooo

Old Post Jan 11th, 2018 05:44 PM
Click here to Send Ursumeles a Private Message Find more posts by Ursumeles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote