KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Stars & Celebrities » The ALL DEAD Club

The ALL DEAD Club
Started by: Nuke Nixon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (40): « First ... « 17 18 [19] 20 21 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nuke Nixon
One Shot, One Kill

Oscar-winning Greek musician Vangelis' death has been linked to Covid -19 at the age of 79.

Evangelos Odysseas Papathanassiou aka Vangelis was born in the Greek village of Agria and learned to play music primarily by himself.

Vangelis grew up listening to traditional Greek music, but around the age of twelve, he became interested in jazz and rock. He began forming school bands at the age of fifteen, not to cover other performers, but to have fun.

Vangelis bought his first Hammond organ when he was eighteen years old and formed The Forminx with three schoolmates in 1963, playing cover songs and original material mostly composed by Vangelis with English lyrics by radio DJ and record producer Nico Mastorakis.

The group split in 1966 after nine songs and one Christmas EP garnered popularity across Europe.

He co-founded the renowned progressive rock band Aphrodite's Child in 1968. Vangelis began experimenting with synthesizers early in his career, and they came to define his sound as a solo recording artist and especially as a film composer.

Old Post May 21st, 2022 05:39 PM
Nuke Nixon is currently offline Click here to Send Nuke Nixon a Private Message Find more posts by Nuke Nixon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nuke Nixon
One Shot, One Kill

Colin Cantwell, Star Wars Artist Who Designed Death Star, Dies at 90.

Cantwell began working with George Lucas on the production of Star War after receiving a second draft of the script. The concept artist created drawings and models of the ships that formed the Rebel Alliance and Galactic Empire's fleets.

Even almost 45 years since it debuted in theatres on May 25th, 1977, Star Wars remains an influential piece of pop culture, with Lucas' tale of an eternal struggle between light and dark continuing to resonate and grow to this day, expanding beyond film into the realm of television. However, beyond Lucas's storytelling, audiences were also entranced by the film's visions of space travel and dogfighting, communicated through Cantwell's distinctive and easily recognizable designs. Born in 1932, Cantwell is responsible for designing many of the film's spacecraft, from the Rebel Alliance's X-Wing and Y-Wing starfighters, the Galactic Empire's TIE Fighters, Star Destroyers, and the infamous planet-killing Death Star, to even civilian craft like the T-16 Skyhopper that Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) can be seen playing with a model of.

Despite not working on later films, Cantwell's work continued to influence the franchise, with one of his concept designs being featured in a deleted scene from Solo: A Star Wars Story. Named after the designer himself, the Cantwell-Class Arrestor Cruiser can be seen in a sequence that would have depicted the younger Han Solo (Alden Ehrenreich) disobeying orders during his time as an Imperial cadet, leading to a tribunal and his reassignment to Mimban. Cantwell's design was originally intended to be an Imperial carrier craft whose radar dishes would be powerful weapons capable of destroying enemy cruisers, but was discarded in favor of Cantwell's final Star Destroyer design. However, the artist's concept of the weaponized radar dishes would later be reused for the Death Star.

Cantwell's work on the Star Wars franchise can not be understated, as his work set the design principles of the franchise that continue to be upheld to this day through new designs introduced in series like The Mandalorian. Cantwell's designs not only worked perfectly with Lucas' real-world influences by applying and kitbashing various real-world fighter-plane aesthetics to Star Wars' spacecraft, but were created so that audiences could easily recognize which faction they belonged to. As Cantwell's designs, techniques and principles continue to shape Star Wars going forward, the artist will be remembered fondly by fans for the key part he played in help crafting a galaxy far far away.

Old Post May 23rd, 2022 01:24 PM
Nuke Nixon is currently offline Click here to Send Nuke Nixon a Private Message Find more posts by Nuke Nixon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nuke Nixon
One Shot, One Kill

John Aylward, a veteran film and television actor for more than three decades, has died, according to his longtime agent and friend, Mitchell K. Stubbs. He was 75.

Aylward died Monday of natural causes, Stubbs told CNN.
"He was a wonderful actor and a phenomenal human being," Stubbs said.
Alyward, a Seattle native, was best known for playing the stern but fair Dr. Donald Anspaugh on NBC's "ER" and Barry Goodwin on "The West Wing."
Aylward graduated from the University of Washington School of Drama in 1971, according to the school's website. He worked mostly in theater for 15 years before moving onto work on the small and big screen, the site also says.
Among his first credits is a recurring role on "Northern Exposure." Other work included roles on shows like "Family Law," "The Practice" and "Mad Men."
Aylward appeared in more than 70 episodes of "ER" over the show's 15 seasons. Through that, especially at the height of the show's popularity, when it would regularly notch roughly 30 million viewers per week, Aylward became a highly recognizable face.
In an interview with the Seattle Times around the time the show ended, Aylward describe the investment fans had in the show.
"When I was doing "Death of a Salesman" at ACT (in 1998), I was still appearing frequently on 'ER,' and it was right after the season in which Anspaugh's son had died. It was a Monday (off-day for theater actors), and I was in the checkout line at the grocery store, and this woman came running up to me and said, 'Excuse me, I'm sorry to bother you, I've been out of the country ... what happened to your son?' A'd I said, 'Oh, he died,'" Aylward told the newspaper. "The lady says 'Oh, no!' and I said, 'Yeah, we buried his ass last week!" and the girl checking out the groceries turned as white as a sheet, so I had to stop and say, 'We're talking about a TV show!' I could tell she was thinking 'Who is this heinous man who talks about the death of his kid like that.'" Roles in the TV shows "Briarpatch" and "Yellowstone" were among Alyward's final credits.

Old Post May 23rd, 2022 01:26 PM
Nuke Nixon
One Shot, One Kill

Alec John Such, founding Bon Jovi member and bassist, has died at 70.

Bon Jovi was formed in New Jersey in 1983 and has had hits with songs including "Livin' On a Prayer" and "Wanted Dead or Alive."

Such parted ways with the band in 1994 and was later replaced by bassist Hugh McDonald.
The group was reunited when Bon Jovi was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2018. At the induction ceremony, Such spoke fondly of his time with his band mates, saying, "(I) love them to death. I always will."

"When Jon Bon Jovi called me up and asked me to be in his band many years ago, I soon realized how serious he was and he had a vision that he wanted to bring us to. And I'm only too happy to have been a part of that vision," he said in his speech.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2022 05:30 AM
Nuke Nixon
One Shot, One Kill

Julee Cruise, ‘Twin Peaks’ Theme Singer and David Lynch Regular, Dies at 65.

Julee Cruise, one of David Lynch’s go-to musicians who sang on a version of the “Twin Peaks” theme song “Falling” that became a hit in Europe, has died, her husband said.

“Falling” was an instrumental written by “Twin Peaks” soundtrack and score maestro Angelo Badalamenti. Unlike the frenetic, high-energy theme songs and sequences of the era, he 1990 hit show’s opening song was a hypnotic, lilting tone-poem played over images of a waterfall, signaling a … different kind of network TV program.

Lynch wrote lyrics for Cruise to do a vocal version, with her airy melody following the rising and falling keyboard accents. It was a hit in the U.K., and across Europe and Australia.

Cruise met Lynch before “Twin Peaks,” working with the director in 1986 on “Blue Velvet,” which features her vocals on another Badalamenti special. She would later work as a fill-in singer for the B-52’s, which her husband said made up the happiest moments of her working life.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2022 05:35 AM
Nuke Nixon
One Shot, One Kill

Voice Actor Billy Kametz Passes Away at 35.

Kametz had revealed in late April that he had been diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. He said at the time that he was taking a break from voiceover work and that other voice actors would replace him for current and ongoing roles. He also said at the time he was moving back to Pennsylvania to be with his family.

A GoFundMe campaign launched on his behalf a few days after his announcement. The campaign stated the money raised would go toward travel, insurance costs, medical bills not covered by insurance, and everyday life necessities. As of press time the campaign has earned US$175,126 of the US$150,000 goal. The organizers of the campaign added they will close the campaign on June 14, stating anything contributed that hadn't already been used for Kametz's treatments would go toward his celebration of life and funeral. Kametz's family will hold a viewing on June 15 and a funeral on June 18.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2022 05:37 AM
Nuke Nixon
One Shot, One Kill

Everett Peck, Creator of ‘Duckman,’ Dies at 71.

Peck died Tuesday in Solana Beach, California, of complications from a long battle with pancreatic cancer, his wife, Helen, told The Hollywood Reporter.

Peck created Duckman for a 1990 one-off comic book published by Dark Horse Comics while pitching the idea for an adults-only animated series. It finally made it to the air in 1994 on the USA Network via Klasky-Csupo (the original production company behind The Simpsons), ran four seasons through 1997 and was nominated for three Emmys.

“Duckman represents the plight of the little guy in an ever more complex and demanding world,” Peck said in a 2009 interview. “Like many of us, he struggles to break even but is ultimately squashed by powers far beyond his control.”

Peck also created the 2006-07 Cartoon Network series Squirrel Boy; that one featured an anthropomorphic character like Duckman and starred Richard Steven Horvitz and Pamela Adlon.

Born in San Diego on Oct. 9, 1950, Peck earned a degree in illustration from Cal State Long Beach and took over the illustration program at Otis Art Institute in Los Angeles in 1984. He then did projects with Klasky-Csupo for Sesame Street and helped start the animation division at Sony.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2022 10:11 PM
Nuke Nixon
One Shot, One Kill

WWE mourns the deaths of legendary referees Tim White, David Hebner

The WWE lost a pair of its longtime referees over the weekend with the deaths of David Hebner on Friday and Tim White on Sunday.

White began his career of more than two decades in 1985, working with Andre the Giant on a part-time basis. He later moved up to officiate high-profile matches such as the legendary Hell in a Cell Match in 1998 between Undertaker and Mankind at King of the Ring.

White was 68.

Hebner served as the referee for several classic matches, including Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat at Wrestlemania III and Savage vs. Hulk Hogan at Wrestlemania V.

He and his brother, Earl Hebner, were both WWE referees.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2022 01:37 PM
Nuke Nixon
One Shot, One Kill

Joe Turkel, The Shining and Blade Runner Actor, Dead at 94.

Joe Turkel, a character actor best known for his appearances in The Shining and Blade Runner, passed away earlier this week. Variety reports that Turkel passed at St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica, California on Monday, June 27. Details of his cause of death were not confirmed but the actor was 94 at the time of his death. His survived by two sons (Craig and Robert), two daughter-in-laws and his brother, David Turkel, according to the outlet. They also report that prior to his death, Turkel completed a memoir, titled "The Misery of Success," which will be published later this year by his family.

Genre fans likely best recognize Turkel for his role in Stanley Kubrick's The Shining, playing The Gold Room bartender Lloyd who shares a pivotal scene with Jack Nicholson's Jack Torrence. Turkel also appeared in two other movies directed by Kubrick, 1956's The Killing and 1957's Paths of Glory. Much like his key appearance in The Shining, Turkel is also well known for playing the role of Dr. Eldon Tyrell in the original Blade Runner movie. The owner and operator of the Tyrell Corporation that created the film's replicants, Turkel would reprise the role for the 1997 Blade Runner video game, technically his final credit.

In addition to multiple feature film credits, which also included the likes of King Rat, The St. Valentine's Day Massacre, The Dark Side of the Moon, and three movies with filmmaker Bert I. Gordon, Turkel also had an extensive television career including appearances in Tales from the Darkside, The Lone Ranger, SWAT, Ironside, The Andy Griffith Show, Miami Vice, The Untouchables, and many more. Overall his acting career spanned over six decades, beginning in 1949 after serving in the army during World War II and concluding in the late 1990s when he retired.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2022 04:31 PM
Nuke Nixon
One Shot, One Kill

Tommy Morgan Dies: Harmonica Player For ‘Cool Hand Luke’ And ‘Dances With Wolves’ Was 89.

Tommy Morgan, who recorded music for more than 500 film soundtracks, died June 23. Details on his death and its cause were not immediately available.

Morgan worked with the Andrews Sisters in 1950, later branching into soundtracks. His resume includes work on films Cool Hand Luke, Dances with Wolves, and City Slickers, and TV themes for The Waltons and Dukes of Hazard. He also worked as a session player for The Carpenters, The Beach Boys, Neil Diamond and many others.

It was estimated that he participated in more than 7,000 recording sessions before a 2013 stroke halted his career.

He also wrote a book, You Made How Much For Doing What?, released this year on Amazon.

Survivors include his wife, Lois; sons Matthew and Daniel; and granddaughter Addie Rae.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2022 04:33 PM
Nuke Nixon
One Shot, One Kill

Sonny Barger Dies: Hells Angels Founder, ‘Sons Of Anarchy’ Actor & Rolling Stones Nemesis Was 83.

Sonny Barger, the notorious founding member of the Hells Angels Motorcycle Club, author, ex-convict, occasional Sons of Anarchy actor and one of the bikers who provided the violent, bloody security at the infamous 1969 Rolling Stones Altamont concert, died of Wednesday of cancer. He was 83.

Barger announced his own death in a pre-written message subsequently posted today on his Facebook page: “If you are reading this message, you’ll know that I’m gone. I’ve asked that this note be posted immediately after my passing. I’ve lived a long and good life filled with adventure. And I’ve had the privilege to be part of an amazing club. Although I’ve had a public persona for decades, i’ve mostly enjoyed special time with my club brothers, my family, and close friends.

Barger had written six books, including his autobiography Hell’s Angel — The Life and Times of Sonny Barger and the Hell’s Angels Motorcycle Club, in which he put the blame for the disastrous Altamont concert squarely on the Stones. The Angels had been hired by the band to provide security, a decision the Stones would regret: The bikers beat audience members with billiard sticks, punched and knocked out Jefferson Airplane singer Marty Balin and attacked (in self-defense, they claimed) a pistol-wielding 18-year-old Stones fan named Meredith Hunter. One of the Angels stabbed and killed Hunter but was acquitted after claiming self-defense.

Rolling Stones Tour Resumes Tuesday In Milan, Says Covid-Recovered Mick Jagger

The incident became one of rock history’s defining events, and Barger, in his autobiography, blamed the Stones for delaying their arrival and working the crowd into an impatient frenzy. Barger said in his book that he forced Richards, at gunpoint, to begin the concert. The performances and the violence were captured in the classic 1970 documentary Gimme Shelter, directed by Albert and David Maysles.

Barger also tangled with the law over the years. He was acquitted in the 1972 murder of a drug dealer but convicted in 1973 and 1988 on narcotics and weapons charges and serving about four years for each conviction.

He levied his notoriety into fame as early as the mid-1960s, when he played significant roles in nonfiction books by Hunter S. Thompson (Hell’s Angels: The Strange and Terrible Saga of the Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs) and Tom Wolfe (The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test).

Barger also took part in a number of documentaries about the bikers. In 2010 he began a recurring, three-episode role on FX’s biker drama Sons of Anarchy, portraying Lenny “The Pimp” Janowitz. He reportedly assisted show creator Kurt Sutter as a sort of de facto consultant on biker culture.

Barger was diagnosed with throat cancer in 1983 and prostate cancer in 2010. It was unclear today exactly what type of cancer caused his death. Complete information on survivors also was not immediately available.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2022 04:34 PM
Nuke Nixon
One Shot, One Kill

Kazuki Takahashi, Yu-Gi-Oh! Creator, Dies at 60

Kazuki Takahashi, the creator of the international smash hit manga and trading card game Yu-Gi-Oh!, was found dead in southern Japan, the country’s Coast Guard said Thursday.

His body was discovered on Wednesday floating off the coast of Nago in Okinawa Prefecture. Mr. Takahashi was traveling alone in Nago, a popular vacation destination, and had apparently been snorkeling when he died from unknown causes, a Coast Guard spokesman said. He was 60.

Mr. Takahashi, whose real name was Kazuo, began working as a manga artist in the early 1980s, but it wasn’t until 1996 that he began his rise to international fame with the story of a spiky-haired boy who challenges his enemies to duels involving magical games.

The story started as a one-off but ended up running for nearly eight years in the pages of the popular Japanese boys comic magazine Weekly Shonen Jump. Along the way, it inspired movies, TV shows, video games and a collectible trading card game, which rivaled Pokemon as one of Japan’s most recognizable cultural exports.

The series and its spinoffs became a marketing goliath that sold itself: Movies and TV shows featured the characters playing a card game very similar to the one fans could purchase in their neighborhood hobby shops. New cards have been released on a regular basis since, continuing to update even after the manga and anime finished.

Yu-Gi-Oh! manga have made frequent appearances on best-seller lists, and the trading card game has generated billions of dollars in revenue for its publisher, Konami. A new video game version, released in January, was downloaded 30 million times in its first three months.

Local firefighters discovered Mr. Takahashi’s body at 11:27 a.m. Wednesday, following a report from local tourists, the Coast Guard said, adding that it is investigating the cause of his death.

News of his death broke in the late afternoon in Japan and was met with an outpouring of grief on social media both in his home country and around the world.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2022 12:41 PM
Nuke Nixon
One Shot, One Kill

Former Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe dies after being shot at a campaign event

The assassination of Shinzo Abe, Japan’s totemic former leader, sent shockwaves through the country and across the world on Friday.

A divisive but dominant figure, while in power Abe sought to tackle the country’s pacifist constitution and its struggling economy as well as elevate its standing abroad — particularly with the United States and its Western allies.

He was Japan’s longest-serving prime minister and remained one of its most high-profile politicians even after stepping down in 2020. Abe, 67, led the biggest faction in his governing Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) and was fatally shot while speaking at a campaign event.

Prime Minister Fumio Kishida, a fellow arch-conservative who had been campaigning in the country’s north, raced back to Tokyo on Friday after news of the shooting broke.

“I am deeply saddened by the loss of such a great politician who loved this country, was always one step ahead of the times, and left behind great achievements in various fields in order to pave the way for the future of this country,” he said at an emotional news conference in the wake of Abe’s death.

Abe was the latest in a family line of big political players. His father served as foreign minister, while his grandfather and great-uncle were both prime minister.

A mainstay of contemporary Japanese politics, Abe first served as prime minister from 2006 to 2007, the youngest person to hold that office. He is credited with reviving the LDP after an electoral thrashing in 2009, imbuing it with his brand of conservatism. His second time as prime minister lasted from 2012 to 2020, when he resigned citing health issues.

Abe’s later years in office were marred by political scandals in his party and accusations that he fumbled the country’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic, his popularity waning as a result.

But that longevity stood out in a country that had seen five leaders in as many years prior to that stint and is now on its second prime minister since Abe stepped down.

Abe fought to revive Japan, which had suffered stagnation since the crash of 1991. His time at the helm of the world’s third-largest economy was characterized by his “Abenomics” cocktail of fiscal stimulus, monetary easing and structural reforms.

Tobias Harris, author of “The Iconoclast: Shinzo Abe and the New Japan,” said Abe was “just a tremendously powerful and influential figure even after leaving office,” with his economic and foreign policies still largely in place.

“It’s been very hard for anyone to come up with anything better,” said Harris, a senior fellow at the Center for American Progress in Washington.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2022 12:23 PM
Nuke Nixon
One Shot, One Kill

Monty Norman, composer of iconic James Bond theme, dead at 94

Norman famously composed the score for "Dr. No," the 1962 Bond film that starred Sean Connery. His theme for James Bond, which was arranged by fellow Englishman John Barry, would go on to become the tune used in the entire 007 franchise.

Norman was born Monty Noserovitch to Jewish parents in the East End of London in 1928. Obtaining his first guitar at age 16, Norman went on to perform with big bands and in a variety double act with comedian Benny Hill. He later wrote songs for British rockers Cliff Richard and Tommy Steele, as well as composed for stage musicals, including "Make Me an Offer," "Expresso Bongo," "Songbook" and "Poppy."

Norman was hired by producer Albert "Cubby" Broccoli to compose a theme for the first James Bond film, "Dr. No."

He drew on a piece he had written for a proposed musical adaptation of V.S. Naipaul’s "A House for Mr. Biswas," shifting the key riff from sitar to electric guitar. The result – twangy, propulsive, menacing – has been used in all 25 Bond thrillers.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2022 09:01 PM
Nuke Nixon
One Shot, One Kill

L.Q. Jones, ‘Wild Bunch’ Actor Dies at 94

L.Q. Jones, the colorful character actor who worked on dozens of Westerns, including the Sam Peckinpah classics The Wild Bunch and Ride the High Country as a member of the famed filmmaker’s regular posse, has died. He was 94.

Jones died Saturday of natural causes at his home in the Hollywood Hills, his grandson Erté deGarces told The Hollywood Reporter.

Jones portrayed ranch hand Andy Belden on 25 episodes of NBC’s The Virginian over an eight-year span, was one of the bad guys who slipped a noose over Clint Eastwood’s neck in Hang ‘Em High (1968) and played a sheriff on the 1983-84 NBC primetime soap The Yellow Rose, starring Sam Elliott, Cybill Shepherd and Chuck Connors.

The Texas native also portrayed Clark County Commissioner Pat Webb, Robert De Niro’s nemesis, in Martin Scorsese’s Casino (1995) and country singer Chuck Akers in Robert Altman’s A Prairie Home Companion (2006), his final credit.

In a career that spanned more than five decades, Jones is perhaps best known for his turn as the bounty hunter T.C. in The Wild Bunch (1969). He and Strother Martin, as Coffer, “bring their depraved characters to life with a childish energy — they take great enjoyment from making killing into a contest as they jockey to claim who has a higher body count after each bloody encounter.” That’s how a Warner Bros. website promoting the film describes their performances.

Jones first worked with Peckinpah in 1960 on the short-lived NBC Western Klondike. He portrayed one of the four ruthless brothers who fight it out with Joel McCrea and Randolph Scott in Ride the High Country (1962) and was a Confederate soldier (and Warren Oates’ brother) in Major Dundee (1965).

He also played no-good characters who meet their untimely ends in Peckinpah’s The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970) and Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1973).

“Sam was a genius and I loved him, but he was a basket case. He drove everybody nuts,” Jones said in a 2017 interview with Nick Thomas.

On the other side of the camera, Jones directed, co-wrote and produced A Boy and His Dog (1975), a cult black comedy set in the post-apocalyptic year of 2024 that starred Don Johnson and Jason Robards and was based on a novella by sci-fi legend Harlan Ellison.

He was born Justice Ellis McQueen Jr. on Aug. 19, 1927, in Beaumont, Texas, the son of a railroad worker. When he was young, his mother, Jessie, was killed in an automobile accident, and he was raised by relatives.

“I had a horse by the time I was 8 or 9 and grew up around tough rodeo people — my uncle was into roping — so Westerns were easy and fun,” he said.

He served in the U.S. Navy and studied law at the University of Texas, where his roommate was future Daniel Boone star Fess Parker. After college, he bought a ranch in Nicaragua to make money on beans, corn and dairy, but that didn’t go as well as he had hoped.

Parker had moved to Hollywood and had appeared in a few films when he sent his college buddy a copy of the Leon Uris novel Battle Cry, which was about to become a big-budget Warner Bros. war movie directed by Raoul Walsh. Parker was playing a soldier in the adaptation.

“Fess encouraged me to come out and drew me a map on the back of a laundry-shirt stuffing showing how to get to the studio,” he recalled. “Within two days of arriving, I had the part of [Pvt.] L.Q. Jones in Battle Cry and probably would never have been in the business had it not been for Fess.”

McQueen liked the character’s name so much, he decided to adopt it as his stage name.

The newly minted L.Q. Jones kept extremely busy after that, appearing on such shows as Cheyenne, Gunsmoke, Laramie, Wagon Train, Lassie, Rawhide, Johnny Ringo, The Big Valley and Perry Mason — sometimes doing two or three series a week — and in films including Target Zero (1955) — his first of his many pairings with Martin, another Peckinpah regular — Elvis Presley’s Love Me Tender (1956) and Flaming Star (1960), Don Siegel’s Hell Is for Heroes (1962) and Walsh’s The Naked and the Dead (1958).

He said Stanley Kubrick offered him the role of Major T.J. “King” Kong that went to Slim Pickens in Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964), but he was “tied up with another picture” and had to pass.

Working on a Peckinpah film could be a challenge, he noted in a wide-ranging interview for the website Camera in the Sun.

“If you’re not standing in the same place Sam envisioned it a thousand times for the year — and he’s not told anybody what it is — but if you’re not there in that particular place, he’s furious because you haven’t done your job right in his estimation. That fact that he hadn’t told you anything doesn’t make a difference,” he said. “And it doesn’t make a difference whether you’re Bill Holden or an extra. Those of us who’d worked with him — you notice he had a group that worked with him his whole career — just learned where to be, thinking the way Sam would think.”

In the mid-’60s, he and actor Alvy Moore formed the production company LQ/JAF, and they made four films: The Devil’s Bedroom (1964), which Jones also directed; The Witchmaker (1969); The Brotherhood of Satan (1971), which he co-wrote; and A Boy and His Dog, which he said served as George Miller’s inspiration for The Road Warrior.

“After doing A Boy and His Dog, I had a whole bunch of offers to direct and more money than it cost to make the picture, for chrissakes,” he said. “But I couldn’t see working all that time and all the effort to make that. So I just kept saying, ‘No,’ and I finally just said, ‘To hell with it,’ and just stopped and went on with the acting. Because by then I could pretty well pick and choose what I wanted to do.”

Old Post Jul 11th, 2022 09:03 PM
Nuke Nixon
One Shot, One Kill

Twin Peaks Actor Lenny Von Dohlen Dead at 63 'After a Long Illness'

The actor "died Tuesday at his home in Los Angeles after a long illness," Steven J. Wolfe, longtime manager of the Twin Peaks star, confirmed to PEOPLE on Friday.

Von Dohlen's sister Catherine was the first to share the news of his death on Friday morning in a post on Facebook.

"The world lost a magnificent man on July 5," she wrote. "Brother Len was passionate about everything and everyone. He was always leading; whether it be riveting conversation, an artistic creation or a trip to new places."

Catherine continued, "He loved a good laugh. He continues on his spiritual journey. Living life full in his memory."

The actor "died Tuesday at his home in Los Angeles after a long illness," Steven J. Wolfe, longtime manager of the Twin Peaks star, confirmed to PEOPLE on Friday.

Von Dohlen's sister Catherine was the first to share the news of his death on Friday morning in a post on Facebook.

"The world lost a magnificent man on July 5," she wrote. "Brother Len was passionate about everything and everyone. He was always leading; whether it be riveting conversation, an artistic creation or a trip to new places."

Catherine continued, "He loved a good laugh. He continues on his spiritual journey. Living life full in his memory."

The world lost a magnificent man on July 5. Brother Len was passionate about everything and everyone. He was always...
Posted by Catherine Von Dohlen on Thursday, July 7, 2022

Von Dohlen made his acting debut in telefilm called Kent State and had a small role in Tender Mercies before getting his big break in 1984's Electric Dreams as Miles Harding.

In 1990, the actor played the agoraphobic orchid-growing Harold Smith in the sophomore season of Showtime's Twin Peaks. Von Dohlen appeared in several episodes of the series and then appeared in the 1992 New Line feature Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2022 09:05 PM
Nuke Nixon
One Shot, One Kill

Larry Storch, zany actor on TV’s ‘F Troop,’ dies at 99

Larry Storch, the rubber-faced comic whose long career in theater, movies and television was capped by his “F Troop” role as zany Cpl. Agarn in the 1960s spoof of Western frontier TV shows, died Friday. Storch was 99.

Storch died of natural causes early Friday in his New York City apartment, according to his manager, Matt Beckoff.

Although “F Troop” lasted only two seasons on ABC, from 1965 to 1967, it became a cult favorite in reruns. Its devoted fans could recite almost all of the adventures of the incredibly incompetent soldiers of Fort Courage and the members of the nearby Native American tribe who only pretended to be at war with them.

As Agarn, Storch was the wild-eyed partner and protege of Forrest Tucker’s wily Sgt. O’Rourke, who often schemed with Frank DeKova’s Chief Wild Eagle to fleece unsuspecting visitors. Ken Berry’s Capt. Parmenter was Fort Courage’s clueless commander.

While “F Troop” brought him lasting fame, Storch appeared in scores of films and TV shows both before and after the show. He also enjoyed a long career in theater and as a comic at resorts in New York State’s Catskill Mountains area.

He never regretted being best known for the series, his manager said.

Storch’s credits included “Funny Valentine,” “Sweet 16,” “Sex and the Single Girl,” “S.O.B.,” “Airport,” “Treasure Island” and “Oliver Twist.” On TV, he guest-starred on such shows as “Married... With Children,” “Archie Bunker’s Place,” “Trapper John, M.D.,” “Fantasy Island,” CHiPS,” “The Love Boat,” “Get Smart,” “Love American Style,” “Gilligan’s Island” and “Car 54 Where Are You?”

His many theater appearances ranged from a brutal detective in a 1983 Broadway revival of “Porgy and Bess” to Chief Sitting Bull in the 2000 revival of “Annie Get Your Gun” with Reba McEntire.

Storch said in a 1998 interview that he was surprised to be considered for an Army comedy such as “F Troop,” with it being well known that he served in the Navy during World War II. “All I knew about horses was that they give milk and can bite from both ends,” he quipped.

Indeed, it was his Navy service that had greatly boosted his career. During the war, he had met a radio operator in the Marshall Islands named Bernie Schwartz who had told him, “I’m going to be a movie star.” Storch, already a seasoned comic on the resort circuit, had tried to talk him out of it, warning him that the business could be tough.

They met again after the war, and Schwartz, who by now had changed his name to Tony Curtis, remembered the funny guy from the islands. Storch went on to appear in eight of Curtis’ movies, including “Captain Newman,” “Who Was That Lady?” and “The Great Race.”

Laurence Samuel Storch was born in New York City where, he recalled proudly, he went on to become class clown at DeWitt Clinton High School and “was invited not to come back.”

He practiced his comedy in Harlem theaters for $2 a night before graduating to the famed training ground for comedians of his era, the Catskills.

His first big break came on TV in the early 1950s with “The Cavalcade of Stars,” with Jackie Gleason. That led to “The Larry Storch Show,” a 1953 summer series. Regular movie and TV work followed.

Storch was married to Norma Greve from 1961 until her death in 2003.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2022 09:08 PM
rudester
Tommy

What are you doing here, get back to your post. mad

Old Post Jul 12th, 2022 11:47 AM
rudester is currently offline Click here to Send rudester a Private Message Find more posts by rudester Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nuke Nixon
One Shot, One Kill

This is my post, voluntary undertaker.

I combine all deaths in one thread while nitwits make a single thread per death wasting forum space and littering up the place with dead threads once interest in the person has waned.

It's a community service.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2022 12:05 PM
rudester
Tommy

Okay yeah sure go for it roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jul 12th, 2022 03:00 PM
rudester is currently offline Click here to Send rudester a Private Message Find more posts by rudester Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote