KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » 1/8/2018 - #4A (Ranking FOUR, Round ONE) - Most Powerful Tournament - VOTE!

Who is #4? Write your response in the comments below in order for it to be counted.
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
VALKORION -- comment below who you selected for it to be counted. 10 35.71%
DARTH NIHILUS -- comment below who you selected for it to be counted. 1 3.57%
YODA -- comment below who you selected for it to be counted. 17 60.71%
DARTH PLAGUEIS -- comment below who you selected for it to be counted. 0 0%
UNUTHUL -- comment below who you selected for it to be counted. 0 0%
OTHER -- comment below who you selected for it to be counted. 0 0%
Total: 28 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

1/8/2018 - #4A (Ranking FOUR, Round ONE) - Most Powerful Tournament - VOTE!
Started by: DarthAnt66

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

quote: (post)
Originally posted by SunRazer
thumb up

As I've said about three times now, Valkorion himself not only states that time has not stopped but that the Outlander needs to "choose quickly". It's clear that this state of mind and external action are completely independent of each other. I'll wait for a reason as to why this thing with Valkorion is any different from Karness Muur in Vector.

Are you legit arguing that Valkorion is only communicating and that Vaylin forced herself into a conversation, that apparently allows her to almost stick a lightsaber into the Outlander?

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 03:28 AM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

You mean this? https://youtu.be/9VgXsdJgyNA?t=224

I don't see what's wrong with this. The entire episode just looks like it played in both their heads. The Outlander collapses right after things go back to normal.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 03:38 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

It played out in their heads. That's why Valkorion had to stop Vaylin from killing the Outlander. Makes sense.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 04:32 AM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Uh-huh, because that was (apparently) the only way he could stop her. There's plenty of instances where characters strike down or come close to striking down someone else in a vision. I assume that if she won the mental confrontation, she'd strike him down IRL.

That seems like why the Outlander appears injured but manages to stand throughout all of Valkorian's shenanigans before randomly collapsing once time goes back to normal.

If it was anything more than that, when Valkorion froze time he wouldn't need to get the Outlander to accept his power against Arcann back in Chapter 8. The Outlander would just take advantage of the frozen time and strike Arcann down, since he could seemingly move despite time being stopped.

Last edited by SunRazer on Jan 10th, 2018 at 04:45 AM

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 04:41 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Nova was doing good at first but the above mental gymnastics is kinda surprising.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 04:49 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

The bottom line is there's no apparent difference between Valkorion doing this and, well, the example I raised with Muur. The fact that he can produce a few tangible effects doesn't mean much since it seems like all the people on the "outside" can perceive those anyway. What they can't perceive are the conversations happening in the "time freeze", which leads me to believe it's in the Outlander's head as Valkorion makes it clear that he doesn't actually stop time.

If the Outlander for actual story reasons and not just animation couldn't actually take advantage of this time freeze when he's supposed to be the beneficiary of it, then there's no reason to assume that anyone else could. And the thing about Valkorion stopping time for himself makes no sense. He's only ever shown this to communicate with someone else as a spirit.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 04:57 AM
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Uh-huh, because that was (apparently) the only way he could stop her. There's plenty of instances where characters strike down or come close to striking down someone else in a vision. I assume that if she won the mental confrontation, she'd strike him down IRL.

Except she's noted to have one of the weakest minds in this game? She just overpowers whatever he set into place, hence him using her conditioning to cancel out of her power.
quote:

That seems like why the Outlander appears injured but manages to stand throughout all of Valkorian's shenanigans before randomly collapsing once time goes back to normal.

Do people not collapse after extreme injury, even when they are able to stand up seconds before, or does everyone have to collapse after a set amount of time?
quote:

If it was anything more than that, when Valkorion froze time he wouldn't need to get the Outlander to accept his power against Arcann back in Chapter 8.

Valkorion cannot control the Outlander, their mind is too strong. The only way to overcome this is to slowly erode their mind or him being given control, hence him being able to override the Outlander if given enough control.
quote:

The Outlander would just take advantage of the frozen time and strike Arcann down, since he could seemingly move despite time being stopped.

See the above. He doesn't know how to control the Outlander yet. He does not form this plan until after Chapter 12 when he pretends to leave.

Guess you'd have to actually know the story to know that though. [b](please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 05:00 AM
quanchi112
Disney

@Sunrazer

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 05:00 AM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Except she's noted to have one of the weakest minds in this game? She just overpowers whatever he set into place, hence him using her conditioning to cancel out of her power.

Probably why Valkorion wins and she ends up not killing the Outlander? We know Valkorion ultimately ends up bringing her down through mental shenanigans anyway (the whole "kneel before the dragon of Zakuul" shtick).

If you can give me an alternative explanation for what he's doing as he's "freezing time" and explain how it fits in with everything else we know then that'd be nice.

There's also the fact that in one time freeze moment, we have Arcann not being able to move at all and then Arcann being just as mobile as the Outlander in another scenario. How do you rationalise that unless it's Valkorion's spirit appearing to the minds of whoever is able to move during the "time stop"?

quote:
Do people not collapse after extreme injury, even when they are able to stand up seconds before, or does everyone have to collapse after a set amount of time?

Seems pretty coincidental to me that he collapses as soon as Valkorion disappears and time's going back to normal.

quote:
Valkorion cannot control the Outlander, their mind is too strong. The only way to overcome this is to slowly erode their mind or him being given control, hence him being able to override the Outlander if given enough control.

See the above. He doesn't know how to control the Outlander yet. He does not form this plan until after Chapter 12 when he pretends to leave.

What does that have to do with the Outlander being able to move and killing Arcann or the various other enemies during the moment of time freeze? The Outlander has always been exempt from the time stop to my knowledge.

I'm aware that Valkorion can't just take over the Outlander's mind. That's the whole point of him pretending to join the Outlander as an ally, is it not?

Last edited by SunRazer on Jan 10th, 2018 at 05:18 AM

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 05:13 AM
S_W_LeGenD

These rankings are turning out to be typical. Again what is the point?

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 06:22 AM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

You mean this? https://youtu.be/9VgXsdJgyNA?t=224

I don't see what's wrong with this. The entire episode just looks like it played in both their heads. The Outlander collapses right after things go back to normal.
Are you legit arguing that Valkorion is only communicating and that Vaylin forced herself into a conversation, that apparently allows her to almost stick a lightsaber into the Outlander?
Where? I see nothing Fresh described happening in that scene. erm

Only instance I can think off is in the Prologue where Valk is not stopping anything, and only projecting the Outlander from his carbonite prison.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 07:30 AM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Well, I'm not aware of any other instance. If there's another one, I'd like to see it as well.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 07:36 AM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

No my mistake, I read 'stick a lightsaber in the Outlander' without the almost. Nonetheless the scene where Vaylin impales his projection only sets a precedent for what you were arguing.

In regards to Vaylin breaking into the conversation that only raises the discrepancy of why she didn't do that earlier when Valk 'freezes' time and Vaylin doesn't show any awareness of it or her father.

Seems obvious that he's projecting into her mind in this instance and attempting to dominate her with his powers, which she resists. But if she was in fact breaking free of a freeze ray then Yoda will just do the same. erm

Last edited by Beniboybling on Jan 10th, 2018 at 09:47 AM

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 09:42 AM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I was expecting to wake up to a concession. I agree with Ant, these mental gymnastics are odd.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 09:46 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Valkorion doesn't freeze time itself, he creates an illusion of freeze. However, this mysterious power grants him the ability to alter the course of a combat situation or event.

And Yoda doesn't have an answer to virtually every technique or challenge by default. Vaylin learned from her experiences with Valkorion.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on Jan 10th, 2018 at 09:52 AM

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 09:49 AM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

He was lying. He straight up tells you he was trapped.

‘He was lying that time, another time he said this and he totally wasn’t lying that time because reasons’.

Nice argument. Shame we’ve literally seen that it’s not true.

"i admire u choose cersei as ur avi sel. at least u know that ur one sick *****, i can respect that" - Inturpid.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 10:52 AM
Click here to Send Selenial a Private Message Find more posts by Selenial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

It played out in their heads. That's why Valkorion had to stop Vaylin from killing the Outlander. Makes sense.

(Edit: As Beni mentioned, oops): Chapter 2, KOTFE.

You know, when Vaylin attacked the Outlander without them even being physically present.

"i admire u choose cersei as ur avi sel. at least u know that ur one sick *****, i can respect that" - Inturpid.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 10:55 AM
Click here to Send Selenial a Private Message Find more posts by Selenial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Nova was doing good at first but the above mental gymnastics is kinda surprising.

quote:
I was expecting to wake up to a concession. I agree with Ant, these mental gymnastics are odd.

it's curious you're choosing to characterize this argument rather than address it,

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 11:03 AM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I just woke up dude.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 11:39 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

excuses

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 12:10 PM