KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Money vs. Power

Money vs. Power
Started by: The Ellimist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Yes, because you agree to all of the legislation and court decisions knowing that you'll be forced to (or forced into jail or some other punishment) by soldiers if you don't. Have you tried disobeying and letting the state know that you're breaking the law?

Old Post Apr 30th, 2018 02:37 AM
SunRazer is currently offline Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Apr 30th, 2018 02:40 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

money, id on't wanna have to manage other people

Old Post Apr 30th, 2018 02:57 AM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Power can defeat money even if it doesn’t have as much money itself. Example: Lenin’s coup. Guns beat the Tsar and all his wealth, because even if the Tsar could theoretically buy a sufficient security force, in his context it wasn’t enough or fast enough.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2018 03:52 AM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

The Tsar was already deposed when Lenin launched his coup (it was a provisional government that he overthrew), but that's a good example nonetheless.

Also a good example for exploring why a government loses power once it no longer owns a monopoly on violence.

Last edited by SunRazer on Apr 30th, 2018 at 04:33 AM

Old Post Apr 30th, 2018 04:28 AM
SunRazer is currently offline Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

lol yeah thanks for the correction.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2018 04:33 AM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Chief Justice Roberts has a net worth of about 6 million dollars. There are lots of random bankers worth more than that, yet Roberts is certainly more powerful than almost all of them by virtue of being able to hand down court decisions, which doesn't really rely on his personal wealth. I suppose you could say that it ultimately ties back to the wealth of the United States backing him, but that's an imperfect measurement: medieval England could not build an aircraft carrier even if you gave it unlimited money. Some things you can improve with money, but gradually and in confluence with other factors.

I guess now the question is how do you define "money"? We talking billions? Cuz I have to assume Justice Roberts went to college. I have to assume that cost money.

Therefore, he could not have attained his power without money. But he wouldn't of needed to be a millionaire just to go to college.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2018 11:42 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

To be honest for most people money and power are just a way of getting good sex. Look at Trump, Bill Clinton or Ghengis Khan. Obviously for Incels it's different and freakish.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2018 11:47 AM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
gauntlet o doom

In a Lost situation, on a deserted island where there's limited resources, or a Zombie apocalypse I'd take power. In those situations, money would mean nothing.

In regular society, money can buy you power but power can't get you money so Money is more valuable.

Old Post May 7th, 2018 11:49 PM
gauntlet o doom is currently offline Click here to Send gauntlet o doom a Private Message Find more posts by gauntlet o doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Money vs. Power

Originally posted by The Ellimist
Which do you value more and why?

Really depends how much of each. But lets say it's either 200million USD or the ability to influence and sway 100million of your fellow Americans (or about 1/3rd of the citizenry of another country)

I'd still pick the 200million USD, as I'm not sure I'd use the vast amount of power to sway that many people for the greater good. You could make or break politics with that much.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post May 7th, 2018 11:58 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Old Post May 8th, 2018 04:37 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

I’m going to have to refer to Frank Underwood for this question: “Money is the McMansion in Sarasota that starts falling apart after 10 years. Power is the old stone building that stands for centuries. I cannot respect someone who doesn't see the difference.”

Old Post May 8th, 2018 05:13 AM
|King Joker| is currently offline Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Money. Easily. I couldn't care less about leading or lording over others. Besides, a certain degree of power is inherent with a lot of money. It's the same with mone or fame. I'll take money all day every day.

Old Post May 8th, 2018 09:51 AM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Surtur
Can you name a single person who rose to power without money?

Abraham Lincoln, for sure.

But every president on this list that is <1:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ List...et_wor
th

Edit - The above link does not work and I don't know why. Try this:

https://tinyurl.com/hjoylfm

Last edited by dadudemon on May 8th, 2018 at 02:59 PM

Old Post May 8th, 2018 02:55 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

see, power might beat money, but that doesn't mean all people care about which one is more "powerful". What's easier to use? Money.

Old Post May 10th, 2018 06:46 AM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CroftAlice

If knowledge is power and power corrupts, how the human kind ever survives?

Old Post May 10th, 2018 06:49 AM
CroftAlice is currently offline Click here to Send CroftAlice a Private Message Find more posts by CroftAlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Can you have power without money?

Politician or policeman.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post May 10th, 2018 11:57 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Can you have power without money?

Well Surtur, think of people such as Ben Shapiro, Jordan Peterson, Sargon, etc.

They aren't poor, but they certainly have an influence disproportionate to their wealth.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post May 10th, 2018 12:02 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

I think I'd find it easier to gather a fortune from any position of power I found myself in than I would trying to become more influential by using money from a lottery win for example.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post May 10th, 2018 12:53 PM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Bah, too much money/power is more curse than blessing IMO. I've seen first hand an excess of money destroy ppl and an excess of power turn ppl into absolute monsters.

Pretty content where I am from an economic/influence standpoint so I would go likely neither.

Edit. If the question is merely "what is more valuable to you as a person, not what you want more of", then: Money. Because it allows me to get necessities and things I need for myself and my family. Power has no value to me because I see it as simply how much influence you can inflict on others.

Last edited by Nibedicus on May 10th, 2018 at 01:11 PM

Old Post May 10th, 2018 01:08 PM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote