KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » What Jordan Peterson says

What Jordan Peterson says
Started by: Rockydonovang

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (32): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nibedicus
I watched the discussion and I do get his point.

I think the primary logic there is that we should prioritize the discussion of important ideas first despite the fact that it may be offensive. Essentially importance of topic > feelings.

But I think on the later part of the interview he was discussing that if the left is interested in everyone coming together, then they need to stop alienating Trump supporters by constantly attacking them/Trump. Because that is not how you convince people that they you are right or they are wrong.

That's how I understand it anyway.

He should know that pendulum swings both ways, not just "The Left". eg During the election Trump was the most divisive (and still is overall) person running. For every "Leftsit" attacking a Trumper, you have a Trumper attacking. It's not a one-side issue.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post May 21st, 2018 06:50 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by dadudemon
I saw the same bit.

We took completely the opposite perspectives. I took the first part as "stop taking offense to everything." And the second part, "Stop alienating anyone who supported or voted for Trump with close-minded rage shout-downs because you're going to continue to drive more people away and empower Trumpers."

My overall takeaway: here's how you get "not-Trump" into office in 2020.

See above then.

Old Post May 21st, 2018 06:50 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
He should know that pendulum swings both ways, not just "The Left". eg During the election Trump was the most divisive (and still is overall) person running. For every "Leftsit" attacking a Trumper, you have a Trumper attacking. It's not a one-side issue.

He doesn't ever say it only exists on the left.

But there are plenty of people loudly screaming about how divisive Trump is. JP decides to mostly focus on the left.

Old Post May 21st, 2018 06:51 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Watch the interview, he's clearly pinning it on one-side. That not-Trumpers need to be kinder to Trumpers, because of their feelings and how they'll react.

Last edited by Robtard on May 21st, 2018 at 07:01 PM

Old Post May 21st, 2018 06:53 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Watch the interview, he's clearly pinning it on one-side. That not-Trumpers need to be kinder to Trumpers, because of their feelings and how they're react.

He certainly feels the left's own bullshit lead to Trump getting into office in the first place. I know that irks you when anyone suggests the left bears any responsibility in Trumps rise, but meh.

Old Post May 21st, 2018 06:55 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Playmaker
Mozart and the Whale

Originally posted by Surtur
In the video I posted of that he specifically goes on to explain what he meant. And note they also never answer his question:

Go to around 3:30, someone makes the exact same point you made and he responds to it and explains what he meant.

I do love how Peterson asks a question pertaining to Trump supporters (not Trump), and the entire panel ignores it and turns it into bashing Trump. Also, remember, Mahel is the same person who painted George W. Bush and Romney as Satan. And I'm supposed to take his criticism of Trump seriously.

Old Post May 21st, 2018 06:59 PM
Playmaker is currently offline Click here to Send Playmaker a Private Message Find more posts by Playmaker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

He certainly feels the left's own bullshit lead to Trump getting into office in the first place. I know that irks you when anyone suggests the left bears any responsibility in Trumps rise, but meh.
Correct, your hand was forced when you voted, you had no control in your actions or something. The people who supported and voted (and still support Trump), they're not the reason why Trump got votes and won. (that was sarcasm btw)

dadudemon

See above then.

Since Peterson has made it clear that he's no friend of Trump, I think it's rather obvious he's trying to arm American Liberals with the tools they need to keep Trump out of office in 2020. On the other side, Peterson backpeddled and apologized to the alt-righters for the vitriol he threw at them because he fears he will commit the same mistake the lefties are doing to Trumpers: alienate them and make them further polarized (he wants to bring them away from their position because he views it as internally and externally harmful (fact)). So, for me, it seems like a clear MO and he is consistent with what he's trying to do.

But that's just my opinion and I could be wrong.

dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Playmaker
I do love how Peterson asks a question pertaining to Trump supporters (not Trump), and the entire panel ignores it and turns it into bashing Trump. Also, remember, Mahel is the same person who painted George W. Bush and Romney as Satan. And I'm supposed to take his criticism of Trump seriously.

Yep, it's telling that *nobody* could answer. There were like 4-5 people.

Old Post May 21st, 2018 07:00 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Correct, your hand was forced when you voted, you had no control in your actions or something. The people who supported and voted (and still support Trump), they're not the reason why Trump got votes and won. (that was sarcasm btw)

Lol! Love it. Because when people talk about leftists playing a role they aren't suggesting they forced them to vote. It's more nuanced than that. But then again you know that.

Old Post May 21st, 2018 07:01 PM
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

But he was in a leftist talk show and he is speaking to a leftist audience on how they can bridge the gap to be the more "enlightened ones (as they claim to be)" and prevent another Trump.

Edit. "purport" may have been the wrong word. Cuz it implies a claim that may be false. Thus, edited. Also, fixed typo.

Last edited by Nibedicus on May 21st, 2018 at 07:07 PM

Old Post May 21st, 2018 07:02 PM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Lol! Love it. Because when people talk about leftists playing a role they aren't suggesting they forced them to vote. It's more nuanced than that. But then again you know that.

Yes, you were bamboozled into becoming a Trumper by 'Leftist nuance tactics', it's simply not your fault, you weren't (aren't?) in control. You poor victim.

Old Post May 21st, 2018 07:04 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes, you were bamboozled into becoming a Trumper by 'Leftist nuance tactics', it's simply not your fault, you weren't (aren't?) in control. You poor victim.

Rob I get it. You're gonna troll and pretend like you don't know the actual legitimate arguments people make about it. Hell, you might even demand people provide them to you, despite the fact you already know them. That will be hilarious.

I'll no longer be playing those games. Others can indulge you if they wish.

Old Post May 21st, 2018 07:05 PM
Playmaker
Mozart and the Whale

Yep, it's telling that *nobody* could answer. There were like 4-5 people.

I think it's very telling and only proves Peterson's point all the more. That is the polarization between the Right and the Left. But I also think social media is helping with that polarization. The University of Chicago and UC Berkeley conducted an interview that online arguments (especially when it comes to just text based like on Facebook) found that people would just dismiss arguments (no matter how valid) and double down on their beliefs (no matter how foolish).

It said, "a broad belief that people who don't agree with you are either too stupid or too uncaring to know better." This opposed to actually listening/watching to someone speak. They were less likely to dismiss the speaker as uninformed or heartless. The conclusion, "This research suggests that the best way for people who disagree with one another to work out their differences and arrive at a better understanding or compromise is by talking to one another."

I'd post a link to the article but I think I'm still too new to do so.

Old Post May 21st, 2018 07:07 PM
Playmaker is currently offline Click here to Send Playmaker a Private Message Find more posts by Playmaker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Robtard, you know me, I'm not sucking JP's dick. I think JP genuinely does not want Trump elected in 2020 and is taking an interest in a political talk show to convince clear figureheads who oppose Trump, on how to be successful in preventing a 2020 Trump. Considering my bias against Trump, any great points on how to prevent a 2020 Trump is a good path to explore. That's my only interest in this topic. This is not, "Let's all bash Robtard because he's a moron" ploy and I don't want to be part of that.

Old Post May 21st, 2018 07:08 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Robtard, you know me, I'm not sucking JP's dick. I think JP genuinely does not want Trump elected in 2020 and is taking an interest in a political talk show to convince clear figureheads who oppose Trump, on how to be successful in preventing a 2020 Trump. Considering my bias against Trump, any great points on how to prevent a 2020 Trump is a good path to explore. That's my only interest in this topic. This is not, "Let's all bash Robtard because he's a moron" ploy and I don't want to be part of that.

thumb up

I echo the same sentiments.

Old Post May 21st, 2018 07:09 PM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

He's probably not a moron, just a troll. You can tell by how he pretends not to understand how the left played a role in electing Trump.

Old Post May 21st, 2018 07:12 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

"He's made it harder to be transgender or non-binary. I know this from personal experience. I'm non-binary and transgender"

Lol. No sane person utters those sentences.

Old Post May 21st, 2018 07:20 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Rob I get it. You're gonna troll and pretend like you don't know the actual legitimate arguments people make about it. Hell, you might even demand people provide them to you, despite the fact you already know them. That will be hilarious.

I'll no longer be playing those games. Others can indulge you if they wish.

You were hoodwinked, bro. When you voted and then supported Trump, it was actually 'Leftist nuances' at play. It. Isn't. Your. Fault.

Old Post May 21st, 2018 07:38 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

I know and I never took it as such.

Old Post May 21st, 2018 07:39 PM