KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Are there more than two Genders?

Are there more than two Genders?
Started by: MythLord

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
StyleTime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
Fair enough. Also I made a mistake, you didn't say there were 3 genders, but 3 sexes.

How many genders do you think there are?

No one knows for sure. Could be infinite. Could be zero. And to make matters more complicated, these categories and the ways we describe them change constantly. Thus is the nature of social constructs.

This topic is actually extraordinarily complicated, and I think people are more willing than you think to be "un-PC" about it, provided it comes from a place of genuine intellectual curiosity.

There's been plenty of scholarly critiques of the transgender movement. There's the obvious feminist divide. Many trans exclusionary radical feminists see a huge problem with men living their whole lives as men, enjoying all the privilege it may bring, then feeling entitled to women-only spaces a few months into transitioning. To them, you're appropriating a history of female-centered oppression when you skipped the worst parts of it. (In their view).

Post-modernist viewpoints(feminist or otherwise) may take issue with transgender-ism because it reinforces the same social constructs and possibly gender essentialism that they worked so hard to fight against. You sorta hit on this here.
In other words, is a guy who does nothing but throw on a wig, some makeup and a dress and says he is female...actually female?

They might agree with you. What does it mean to be a woman? You wear a dress and use make up? Long hair? Adjust your gait and posture to more conventionally feminine modes?

Well, none of these are what a woman is. These are socially constructed ideas about what a woman is. These don't actually make you a woman on their own, because they are illusions we created for ourselves. If that's true, and "woman" isn't actually a thing, then a trans-woman is actually a feminine man. Which is cool. Nothing wrong with that. Everyone should be free to express themselves however they choose. However, these folks would argue, that sex is the only thing that mattered in the end. Gender was just a rigid and irrelevant set of ideas we made up ourselves.

Alternatively, we can argue these social constructs are well-defined enough that these things can mean woman. In this case, yeah, a dude can totally identify with enough feminine gender norms to be a woman.

Or, we primarily identify people by the secondary sexual characteristics they present, not their genitals. Maybe fitting into the proper box visually is what's really required here. Then again, that excludes masculine presenting transwomen and feminine presenting trans-men.

And, in the future, they're may be legit, "true" sex changes...

In short, man. Shit is complicated. The important thing is that we treat each other like people. A woman shouldn't get dragged behind a bus because she wants to live as a man.

Last edited by StyleTime on Aug 10th, 2018 at 10:14 PM

Old Post Aug 10th, 2018 10:05 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by darthgoober
Nah it wasn't sharp. I always planned on getting it sharpened, but just never got around to it. Besides, I had just gotten off probation for calling in a bomb threat to my previous highschool so I didn't want to risk getting into trouble for using a weapon in a fight.

Lol...dare I ask why you called in a bomb threat?

Old Post Aug 10th, 2018 10:14 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

Lol...dare I ask why you called in a bomb threat?

They pissed me off one time too many so I waited for an exceptionally hot day and called it in so everyone would have to sit outside in the heat for hours.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2018 10:23 PM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by darthgoober
They pissed me off one time too many so I waited for an exceptionally hot day and called it in so everyone would have to sit outside in the heat for hours.

Damn, that's...

( •_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

cold.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2018 10:26 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

Damn, that's...

( •_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■wink

cold.

Yeah they had to sit in the bleachers around the practice football field(no shade whatsoever) for 3 hours and it was about 97 degrees. They're lucky that's all they got, I'd considered wiping them all out with chloramine gas

Old Post Aug 10th, 2018 10:30 PM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

IMHO ...

Mind and body are not two fundamental substances that interact but are ultimately separate (a Dualist philosophy, one that serves as a radical ego-defense mechanism against death terror). Instead, mind and body are two aspects of the same, singular entity. (Think of a soda can: held one way, it casts a rectangular shadow; held another way, a circular shadow. A rectangle and a circle are two completely different shapes, yet both reflect the same, singular entity). If a person feels he/she is other than male or female, this will be reflected in the body somewhere (eg, not fully differentiated sex organs; the body didn't "hormonize" evenly in the womb, etc -- a "dent" in the can). There are trillions of working parts in a human body; it's astounding that so many of us come out as "normal" as we do.

As such, gender fluid is a myth, because it implies that the body is fluid, that the body can change sexes (which to my knowledge, does not happen). People who say they are gender fluid either have some physical/sexual correlate that is too subtle for the person to feel out, or, we have a person who is simply desperate to be unique. The fact of the matter is, biologically speaking we are here for one purpose and one purpose only: to reproduce, and that means male and female are the (multicellular) standard. Anything else (again, purely biologically speaking) is a deviation from the norm.

Mind you: this does Not mean that "other-sexuals" are less deserving of respect and dignity than normals, anymore than a person born blind or with missing limbs deserves less. They are still just as much a part of the Human Family as any of us (we all have dents one way or another). It is their choices and actions that matter.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Last edited by Mindship on Aug 11th, 2018 at 10:49 AM

Old Post Aug 11th, 2018 10:34 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

If I had a dollar for every gender there is I'd have 2 dollars and a shitload of counterfeits.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2018 01:26 PM
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Originally posted by Mindship
IMHO ...

Mind and body are not two fundamental substances that interact but are ultimately separate (a Dualist philosophy, one that serves as a radical ego-defense mechanism against death terror). Instead, mind and body are two aspects of the same, singular entity. (Think of a soda can: held one way, it casts a rectangular shadow; held another way, a circular shadow. A rectangle and a circle are two completely different shapes, yet both reflect the same, singular entity). If a person feels he/she is other than male or female, this will be reflected in the body somewhere (eg, not fully differentiated sex organs; the body didn't "hormonize" evenly in the womb, etc -- a "dent" in the can). There are trillions of working parts in a human body; it's astounding that so many of us come out as "normal" as we do.

As such, gender fluid is a myth, because it implies that the body is fluid, that the body can change sexes (which to my knowledge, does not happen). People who say they are gender fluid either have some physical/sexual correlate that is too subtle for the person to feel out, or, we have a person who is simply desperate to be unique. The fact of the matter is, biologically speaking we are here for one purpose and one purpose only: to reproduce, and that means male and female are the (multicellular) standard. Anything else (again, purely biologically speaking) is a deviation from the norm.

Mind you: this does Not mean that "other-sexuals" are less deserving of respect and dignity than normals, anymore than a person born blind or with missing limbs deserves less. They are still just as much a part of the Human Family as any of us (we all have dents one way or another). It is their choices and actions that matter.

Yeah, this is pretty much my view on the whole gender thing as well.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2018 01:58 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

gender is a social construct and defines an arbitrary role you're expected to play within society.

gender is biological.

I myself am gender-neutral.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Aug 12th, 2018 03:18 AM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Yes. Science has Nothing to do with it.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2018 03:30 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

If I had a dollar for every gender there is I'd have 2 dollars and a shitload of counterfeits.

I can't see 1 or 2 being possible, unless you accept it's a social construct. It's either 0, 3, or 3+ if you think only biological sex is relevant.

Intersex are basically forced into a category they don't fit in, scientifically, if we limit it to only 2. Oddly, they have the opposite problem of many transgenders. They are forced into surgeries/hormone treatments many don't want because society can't wrap it's head around someone being neither male nor female, biologically.

Last edited by StyleTime on Aug 12th, 2018 at 07:15 PM

Old Post Aug 12th, 2018 07:05 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Originally posted by StyleTime
I can't see 1 or 2 being possible, unless you accept it's a social construct. It's either 0, 3, or 3+ if you think only biological sex is relevant.

Intersex are basically forced into a category they don't fit in, scientifically, if we limit it to only 2. Oddly, they have the opposite problem of many transgenders. They are forced into surgeries/hormone treatments many don't want because society can't wrap it's head around someone being neither male nor female, biologically.

Biological Sex is "Relevant" because it is the only Sex that has a Purpose and a Function. Everything else is just a delusional but pleasurable past time that its significance is vastly overblown, but then that is very common of the Current Generation. Power of Imagination over Actual Reality.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2018 07:16 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

XY= Male
XX= Female
XXY= Klinefelter syndrome.

Then, of course, there's the gender dysphoric lunatics, but I don't wanna get started on that nonsense.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Aug 12th, 2018 08:02 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Originally posted by Flyattractor
Biological Sex is "Relevant" because it is the only Sex that has a Purpose and a Function. Everything else is just a delusional but pleasurable past time that its significance is vastly overblown, but then that is very common of the Current Generation. Power of Imagination over Actual Reality.

I'm saying that there's more than two biological sexes though. If you're saying gender = biology, then there's certainly more than 2 genders.
Originally posted by Impediment

Then, of course, there's the gender dysphoric lunatics, but I don't wanna get started on that nonsense.

The thing that gets me, is those claiming not to be on the spectrum.

The whole point of using the spectrum is to include all gender expressions. Some just want to think they are so unique they can't be classified...

Last edited by StyleTime on Aug 13th, 2018 at 08:19 PM

Old Post Aug 13th, 2018 08:09 PM
Flyattractor

Originally posted by StyleTime
I'm saying that there's more than two biological sexes though. If you're saying gender = biology, then there's certainly more than 2 genders.

Nope that is just Politically Driven Nonsense.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2018 06:06 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Anyways: two genders. No 3rd, no 4th, no 5th.

Just 2. We can discuss there being more than 2 when someone can give me a concrete number.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2018 12:24 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Flyattractor
Nope that is just Politically Driven Nonsense.
Keep it smile so fly can grasp it. **** nuance when you’re simple minded, eh fly?

Old Post Aug 14th, 2018 12:28 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by quanchi112
Keep it smile so fly can grasp it. **** nuance when you’re simple minded, eh fly?

Keep it smile? Oh?

Old Post Aug 14th, 2018 12:28 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Keep it smile? Oh?
Simple like your family.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2018 12:30 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by quanchi112
Simple like your family.

Simple, like using the word simple when you mean to do so, instead of the word smile?

Old Post Aug 14th, 2018 12:31 PM