KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » The Rise of Kylo Ren (comic series)

The Rise of Kylo Ren (comic series)
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Psychotron

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
I won't be seeing RoS myself until Sunday, but is it possible that [SPOILER - highlight to read]: the clones shown in the film were grown AFTER Luke f*cked up Snoke, in order to stay consistent with his current appearance?

No way to tell BUT [SPOILER - highlight to read]: a clone wouldn't have scars, so they'd have to scar them manually, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me either because they'd never get the scars to match 100%. Also, we're never given any indication that Snoke was ever replaced with another clone. Going off the information in the movies TLJ is the first time he's ever been killed. Honestly, those vats were there just to beat us over the head in case we were too stupid to figure it out even though Palpatine literally says "I made Snoke".

Old Post Dec 19th, 2019 12:59 PM
Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Galan007
I won't be seeing RoS myself until Sunday, but is it possible that [SPOILER - highlight to read]: the clones shown in the film were grown AFTER Luke f*cked up Snoke, in order to stay consistent with his current appearance?

Thats what confused me when watching the film. I guess your explanation is as good as any. But is not confirmed one way or the other.

Edit- But I think one thing is clear. The films are allowed to throw canon from novels and comics out of the window. So might as well go back to the old canon levels.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Dec 19th, 2019 at 01:11 PM

Old Post Dec 19th, 2019 01:08 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

thumb up

I was never expecting things to be consistent with this shitshow of a trilogy, so I was just throwing around a possibility lol.

Who knows, maybe Soule will give us a bit more info about the Snoke thing in this mini... /shrug

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Dec 19th, 2019 01:10 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Despite the fact that [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Palpatine is ultimately the one behind Snoke, I definitely still think Snoke was the one who destroyed the Temple. The movie definitely implies Snoke is an independent entity from Sidious, and the comic seems to lead up to Snoke being behind the whole thing, with the original Ren saying, “The Master will bring in someone else soon enough (which I’m presuming is Snoke bringing in Kylo).

”You presume limits to my power. There are none.”

Old Post Dec 19th, 2019 03:30 PM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Some info on "Ren"...

(please log in to view the image)
quote:
"I wanted him to read like a charming Darth Vader," says writer Charles Soule. "A Vader who is charismatic and who is appealing. That's why Ren's skin is burned and he sort of looks the way that he does. He's embracing the seductiveness and the damage that the dark side does. Darth Vader, as impressive and imposing and terrifying as he is, is remote and cold and distant because he has the suit surrounding him. Whereas Ren isn't hiding behind it. He's someone you could have a beer with, in theory."

"The entire seductiveness of the dark side poured into one character engineered for Ben Solo is Ren," Soule says. "He's sort of a charming evil rascal that can be really fun to write and I really like where he goes in the series. But if Kylo Ren is going to take over the Knights of Ren, which we know that's what happens, there should be some transition."

"You expect the dude hiding his face under a mask like that to be all messed up, particularly with his body looking the way it does," Soule says. "But in issue #2 we'll see what he's truly concealing, a reveal that speaks to Ben on a whole other level."

"I think the key to writing Ben Solo is to write him as a lost teenager who is deeply in touch with emotions that teenagers often feel," Soule says. "He feels like no one understands him, no one sees him the way he actually is, he's utterly alone and there's no one else out there in the universe. So when he sees Ren, he's like, 'Wait a minute -- maybe there is somebody like me in the universe. Maybe there is a path for a guy like me. Look at the choices he's made. I could make those choices, too, and I could be cool.'"

And here's some additional information on Snoke's portrayal in this...
quote:
The story also calls for the re-introduction of a younger, seemingly kinder Snoke, wearing a little cap, no less. When we meet him in the series, the future Supreme Leader of the First Order is essentially a gardener. "When we were in the design process, Snoke is someone that you know is going to defy expectations and it's not going to be the Snoke that you know," Sliney says. "And it's important because we're going to see a very, very different relationship that Snoke and Ben have. It establishes that this is not the Snoke that's going to Force-choke Hux and slam him into the ground. He's playing the long game...so it was important to portray Snoke differently."

And true to his festering nature, Snoke inhabits a place that on the surface seems serene and beautiful, but is rotten at its core, a script note that spurred Sliney to google "rotting fruit" for artistic inspiration.

Like Sheev Palpatine, the once humble senator of Naboo, "Snoke is someone who knows the playbook," Soule says. "It's a similar play in terms of, 'I'm a nice guy who's just trying to help you,' which is kind of what Palpatine did. But Snoke's path to power, Snoke's seduction technique, Snoke's message and teachings are, I think, pretty different from the way Palpatine did it... His job is not so much to corrupt as it is to represent an alternative to the legacy Ben has been presented." In concert with Ren presenting an alternate path, Snoke's suggestive philosophy is appealing to a young boy who feels lost. "Everyone's telling you you're X, but what if you're Y? What feels correct to you? Are you Obi-Wan Kenobi or maybe you're something else?" Soule says. "All you need to be is whoever you are and no one's letting you do that...and maybe, shouldn't you go someplace where you can be who you are?"

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 19th, 2019 at 07:27 PM

Old Post Dec 19th, 2019 07:12 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

....What...

Old Post Dec 19th, 2019 07:15 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Almost makes it sound like Ren is who really seduced Ben over to the dark side, and Snoke just sort of... Helped? Dunno exactly what angle Soule is playing here. /shrug

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 19th, 2019 at 07:19 PM

Old Post Dec 19th, 2019 07:16 PM
Zenwolf

A charming evil rascal....wtf is this?....Charming and Darth Vader don't go together. This all sounds like some teen drama TV show.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2019 07:21 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Zenwolf
A charming evil rascal....wtf is this?....Charming and Darth Vader don't go together. This all sounds like some teen drama TV show.
Ren isn't intended as a Darth Vader ripoff. That's the point, I think.

Ren is evidently quite unassuming and relatable for a dark sider, and that helps to reel Ben in.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2019 07:25 PM
ares834

Originally posted by Zenwolf

Sounds fine to me. He is obviously using "Darth Vader" as a generic term for dark sider. He even goes on to say that Ren will be a completely different kind of character.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2019 07:27 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by ares834
Sounds fine to me. He is obviously using "Darth Vader" as a generic term for dark sider. He even goes on to say that Ren will be a completely different kind of character.

I would hope so, but then that's fine. I guess the wording just threw me off.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2019 07:30 PM
ares834

Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Despite the fact that [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Palpatine is ultimately the one behind Snoke, I definitely still think Snoke was the one who destroyed the Temple. The movie definitely implies Snoke is an independent entity from Sidious, and the comic seems to lead up to Snoke being behind the whole thing, with the original Ren saying, “The Master will bring in someone else soon enough (which I’m presuming is Snoke bringing in Kylo).

Independent entity? [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Palpatine straight up made Snoke! Anyway, Snoke has never displayed anything to suggest he can use the force at such a level whereas Sheev literally just did so. Furthermore, we learn it's been Sheev who has been manipulating Kylo all along through the guise of "Vader".

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 10:05 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Cover/solicits for issue #4:

(please log in to view the image)
quote:
"SINS OF THE SON"

-The Rise of KYLO REN concludes, as BEN SOLO, once the Jedi's greatest hope, is swallowed by the Dark Side.

-It is his destiny - and if there was ever another path, SNOKE and the KNIGHTS OF REN made certain he could not see it.

-From Ben, to Ren... and now he is lost.

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 26th, 2019 at 11:58 PM

Old Post Dec 26th, 2019 11:29 PM
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Independent entity? [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Palpatine straight up made Snoke! Anyway, Snoke has never displayed anything to suggest he can use the force at such a level whereas Sheev literally just did so. Furthermore, we learn it's been Sheev who has been manipulating Kylo all along through the guise of "Vader".

...What?

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: By independent entity, I obviously mean that a Snoke isn”t a hollow shell being completely mind controlled by Palpatine; he has his own thoughts and powers independent from Palpatine, and Snoke just takes orders from him (which is supported by the VD). Snoke “never displaying anything to suggest he can destroy the temple with lightning” is kind of bullshit, given Luke (who according to the Ren comic fought Snoke) believes his dark side abilities are as impressive and terrifying as ROTJ Palpatine”s, and he had no clear upper limit in TLJ; we just know he is able to shitstomp Kylo and Rey effortlessly. I don”t see how it makes sense that it”s Sidious when the comic clearly leads up to Snoke being behind it (the KOR saying “the Master will bring us a new member” which is a foreshadowing of Snoke bringing Ben to become Ren, Kylo coming to Snoke at the end after hearing dark voices in his head, Soule saying Snoke is manipulating Kylo, etc.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2019 04:32 PM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lighter332
Jake Skywalker

...What?

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: By independent entity, I obviously mean that a Snoke isn”t a hollow shell being completely mind controlled by Palpatine; he has his own thoughts and powers independent from Palpatine, and Snoke just takes orders from him (which is supported by the VD). Snoke “never displaying anything to suggest he can destroy the temple with lightning” is kind of bullshit, given Luke (who according to the Ren comic fought Snoke) believes his dark side abilities are as impressive and terrifying as ROTJ Palpatine”s, and he had no clear upper limit in TLJ; we just know he is able to shitstomp Kylo and Rey effortlessly. I don”t see how it makes sense that it”s Sidious when the comic clearly leads up to Snoke being behind it (the KOR saying “the Master will bring us a new member” which is a foreshadowing of Snoke bringing Ben to become Ren, Kylo coming to Snoke at the end after hearing dark voices in his head, Soule saying Snoke is manipulating Kylo, etc.

Snoke is a hollow shell controlled by Palpatine - he's just a mutated sock-puppet for Palpatine to control.

That's it.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2019 05:54 PM
Click here to Send Lighter332 a Private Message Find more posts by Lighter332 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

...What?

None of that still puts him anywhere near displaying cosmic lightning capable of destroying buildings. Plus, TROS shows us that the voices Kylo hears in his head are Palpatine not Snoke.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2019 08:10 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

By independent entity, I obviously mean that a Snoke isn't a hollow shell being completely mind controlled by Palpatine; he has his own thoughts and powers independent from Palpatine, and Snoke just takes orders from him (which is supported by the VD).
thumb up

Created by Palpatine or not, Snoke was still very much an independent entity, with his own independent abilities.

And it's not even like Snoke and Palpatine shared some sort of weird hive mind either, as the Visual Dictionary states that Snoke was aware of the dyad between Rey and Kylo, while Palpatine obviously didn't learn about it until late in RoS.

As for the Temple-destroying lightning: it's hard to say. Didn't seem like Ben conjured it, so it's possible that Snoke may have done so in order to drive a bigger wedge between him and the Jedi... But only time will tell.

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 28th, 2019 at 09:01 PM

Old Post Dec 28th, 2019 08:49 PM
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

None of that still puts him anywhere near displaying cosmic lightning capable of destroying buildings. Plus, TROS shows us that the voices Kylo hears in his head are Palpatine not Snoke.

Again, all the evidence in the comic points to Snoke being the one directly responsible. Palpatine is likely telling Snoke what to do as far as seducing Kylo, but Snoke is still the one directly doing the dirty work so Palpatine can hide and chill in the Unknown Regions. The fact that Palpatine says he has been every voice in his head does not mean he was masquerading as Snoke, even if we know he was masquerading as Vader, but rather that he was the one controlling Snoke, the guy who talks to Kylo in his head.

Your argument that Snoke “can”t do it” makes absolutely no sense, because we have no idea what the upper limit of Snoke”s powers are, other than that Luke thinks Snoke is on par with ROTJ Palpatine...who happens to be vastly more powerful than the likes of the Bendu. I don”t see where you definitively see that Snoke CAN”T perform a feat, or how you would even go about proving that.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2019 10:33 PM
ares834

There is no evidence for anyone as of yet. Hell, it may not have even been through the Force. I'm not saying Snoke didn't do it. But right now, there is no reason to believe he is capable of doing so.

As for the voices, when Sidious says that line he is literally using Snoke's voice for a portion of it. It's clear that all the voices Kylo heard were due to Palpatine even Snoke's voice.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2019 10:50 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Old Post Jan 8th, 2020 02:45 PM