KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Spider-Man's future in the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Spider-Man's future in the Marvel Cinematic Universe
Started by: Impediment

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

50-50 =/= taking it up the anus.

Sony doesn't understand the character, they tried turning him into a skateboarder.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2019 07:49 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
50-50 =/= taking it up the anus

Giving up controlling interest in their biggest movie franchise for absolutely no reason is taking it up the Butt. No studio, no business would accept that without some kind of massive pay off.

This isnt even close to the original deal which both sides were happy to make. Its simple greed on Disneys side, not giving a shit about the fans.

Sony doesn't understand the character, they tried turning him into a skateboarder.

Yeah, his true characterisation should be as Iron Man Junior right?

But again this isnt Marvel. Its all Disney. Just like with the firing of James Gunn situation.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2019 08:00 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Inhuman
|||||||||||||||||

Originally posted by NemeBro
Got a source?

(please log in to view the image)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screen...osses-2016/amp/

That was in 2017. And having a few profitable movies since then doesn't fix that situation much.

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Clearly you missed Venom which grossed $850million on a $100mill budget.

You forgot to include marketing, advertisment, and distribution, less overseas profits percentages, etc

Last edited by Inhuman on Aug 22nd, 2019 at 08:18 PM

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2019 08:04 PM
Inhuman is currently offline Click here to Send Inhuman a Private Message Find more posts by Inhuman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

I think Russos should demand 50% of the Avengers franchise.

I mean 50/50 is totally fair right?

Originally posted by Inhuman

You forgot to include marketing, advertisment, and distribution, less overseas profits percentages, etc

You mean like with every film?

I mean Are you honestly denying Venom was a massive success? It grossed 8.5 times its budget. Far From Home didnt. And Homecoming certainly didnt.

Like What is this Fake News week?

Last edited by Darth Thor on Aug 22nd, 2019 at 09:15 PM

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2019 09:11 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Inhuman
|||||||||||||||||

You mean like with every film?

I mean Are you honestly denying Venom was a massive success? It grossed 8.5 times its budget. What is this Fake News week?

Link to where I said Venom was a failure.
What I said was that a few profitable movies Sony had had in a couple years are not enough to get them out the hole they are in.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2019 09:17 PM
Inhuman is currently offline Click here to Send Inhuman a Private Message Find more posts by Inhuman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Sony pictures has been losing money for years now and is in bad shape. I don't think pumping out animated Spider Man movies, or films based on Black Cat or Silver Sable that could make small profits will help them much.

this is so undoubtedly true

50-50 =/= taking it up the anus.

exactly.... no reason for disney to not want more money.. other studios would do the same..

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Last edited by BruceSkywalker on Aug 22nd, 2019 at 09:22 PM

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2019 09:20 PM
BruceSkywalker is online now! Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

A Marvel Universe w/out Spider-Man is like a DCU w/out Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman. Doesn't really matter to me as although I do like SM I have no more interest in the movie MU after Endgame.

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2019 09:26 PM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

Originally posted by SquallX
Marvel is the Spider-Man tights far than Sony.

Sony doesn’t need to make good Spidy flicks, they just need to make it and make a small profit, and Spidy stays there’s.

If anything, Sony can always go the animated route, that was well received.

Well, even if they get small profits, it just makes the selling option more attractive.

Besides, profit ain't all of it, but also the character's prestige and therefore the franchise's prestige.

The only reason Sony rebuted Spiderman was because they knew the MCU had the fan's backup for their product to be accepted, otherwise, they wouldn't likely reboot the Spider Man franchise in a short term considering how terrible the Andrew Gardfield's adaptation was.

They can make money on the short term, but as fans get disappointed, they lose in the long term.

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
This could potentially happen given the very bad press Sony is getting right now. Tom Rothman gotta prove he won't f%ck up Spidey which he undoubtedly will

The MCU fans boycotting Sony wouldn't be a surprise.

Out of the Sony only films- 5 live action Spidey movies, one animated and one Venom film, id argue Sony has only messed up twice. 2/7 times isnt a bad record.

And even when they mess up they still bank money tbh.

Spidey is their biggest franchise plain and simple. They wont give away controlling interest in their biggest property. That would be asinine.

If Marvel wants to please the fans they can do. They have nothing to lose. If they want to be greedy f***s they can do that to. Clearly their brain dead corporate fan boys will worship then either way.

Certainly Marvel is being greedy but Sony shouldn't be cocky either.

Well, Spider Man was dead for Spiderman 3 from Tommy McGuirre for 5 years before the reboot from Sony with Andrew.

They screwed just as badly or worse with Amazing Spiderman 2.

Sure, they can reboot again, but definitely 5 to God knows how many years (because I wouldn't expect them to reboot sooner than the previous time) before the next adaptation is money in the garbage and a wasted franchise.

First Venom was okay and so was Spiderverse, but so was First Spiderman and Amazing Spiderman.... Will Venom 2 and whatever continuation of the Spiderverse remain faithful in quality? Sony isn't the MCU yet, I wouldn't place my money that they can keep up.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2019 09:43 PM
Josh_Alexander is currently offline Click here to Send Josh_Alexander a Private Message Find more posts by Josh_Alexander Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by Josh_Alexander

They screwed just as badly or worse with Amazing Spiderman 2.

Worse.

SM 3 is a meme goldmine and still had some redeeming qualities, such as Sandman, who was f*cking perfect.

TASM 2 was a mistake. It hurt to watch it. Gwenn's death is the only thing they got right.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2019 10:18 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

That was in 2017. And having a few profitable movies since then doesn't fix that situation much.

To be more accurate, that article was from 2017. The actual financial data being cited is from 2016.

A lot can happen in three years so, frankly, I don't find your source particularly relevant right now tbh, especially considering you seem to be forgetting that Sony was making the lion's share of the money from the MCU Spidey films.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2019 10:31 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

Worse.

SM 3 is a meme goldmine and still had some redeeming qualities, such as Sandman, who was f*cking perfect.

TASM 2 was a mistake. It hurt to watch it. Gwenn's death is the only thing they got right.

Well, we all laugh at McGuirre's dances and emo personality, that was redeemable.

What's evident is that Sony has a bad record for long term quality. They seem able to start a franchise but not to maintain it.

There's no evidence to suggest that they'll do better now. Perhaps they will, perhaps they'll continue to repeat their failures.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2019 10:40 PM
Josh_Alexander is currently offline Click here to Send Josh_Alexander a Private Message Find more posts by Josh_Alexander Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Maguire, not McGuirre.

Originally posted by Josh_Alexander
What's evident is that Sony has a bad record for long term quality. They seem able to start a franchise but not to maintain it.

There's no evidence to suggest that they'll do better now. Perhaps they will, perhaps they'll continue to repeat their failures.

They are no long-term planners, that's for sure.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2019 10:41 PM
Inhuman
|||||||||||||||||

Originally posted by NemeBro
To be more accurate, that article was from 2017. The actual financial data being cited is from 2016.

A lot can happen in three years so, frankly, I don't find your source particularly relevant right now tbh, especially considering you seem to be forgetting that Sony was making the lion's share of the money from the MCU Spidey films.

So what your are trying to say is that the Spiderman films (after ASM2 ) alone were enough to bring the entirety of the Sony film division out of the dumpster.
Cute theory tbh.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2019 10:42 PM
NemeBro

So what your are trying to say is that the Spiderman films (after ASM2 ) alone were enough to bring the entirety of the Sony film division out of the dumpster?
Still no relevant evidence?

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2019 10:43 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

Maguire, not McGuirre.

They are no long-term planners, that's for sure.

Hopefuly both sides are just applying pressure and trying to show strength... They'll come back to the table.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2019 10:59 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

Get Disney too angry, and they'll eat up Sony too. stick out tongue

Sony is playing a dangerous game, thinking they can pull Spidey out of the
MCU and that the Marvel fans wouldn't burn their studio to the ground in retaliation.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2019 11:40 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CaveDude33211

Worse.

Wasn't Gwenn's death what killed fan-interest in having a sequel?

I took my girlfriend to see that movie opening night - big mistake.

On the way home she was in tears and wouldn't shut up about Gwenn dying.

Her: "I can't believe she died! They killed her! She and Spiderman won't be able to have babies now!"

Me: "She was supposed to die. It was based off the original comics."

Her: "I hate you! I hate you! Gwenn shouldn't have died! I hated this movie and so did all my friends! Arghhhh!"

Me: "It's just a movie. Jesus Christ."

Her: "Gwenn shouldn't have died!"

Me: "Shut up!"

I dumped her a year later.

She gave good head, but she was annoying as hell and dumb as a bag of bricks.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2019 12:07 AM
CaveDude33211 is currently offline Click here to Send CaveDude33211 a Private Message Find more posts by CaveDude33211 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

It put me to sleep. It's worse then bad, it's actually unwatchable.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2019 12:13 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by cdtm
It put me to sleep. It's worse then bad, it's actually unwatchable.

The best thing about TASM 2 is that it put Peter on the road to the MCU with Captain America: Civil War, because of it's failure. It proven to be a win in the end.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2019 01:09 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
gauntlet o doom

I believe Spiderman and Sony have benefitted immensely from Marvel Studios involvement in the Tom Holland iteration of Spiderman, moreso than the other way around, so it wasn't unreasonable for Disney to negotiate for greater than the 5% movie profits they were receiving. Had Sony developed another Spiderman movie on their own, given how the previous two were received, it would have made less than Justice League and critically received worse than ASM2. I think a 50-50 split was reaching on Disney's part, however as always in negotiations, the first offer must always be more than what you're expecting to get; I think realistically Disney would have been happy with a 25-30% share.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2019 01:45 AM
gauntlet o doom is currently offline Click here to Send gauntlet o doom a Private Message Find more posts by gauntlet o doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote