KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » The Rise of Skywalker (novelization)

The Rise of Skywalker (novelization)
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
xPRIMEx

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
But it seems like the aim was for the Loyalists to create a suitable clone vessel for Palpatine to hop into.

So if Snoke is one of those failed clones, it just seems odd that he'd not only be fully sentient/independent without actually containing Palpatine's essence, but also so powerful on his own(Luke implied that he was ~ RotJ Palpatine.)

It also raises the question as to if the Palpatine clone we see in TROS was sentient/independent before Palpatine’s spirit was transferred into its body? Or perhaps it was still in one of those lab tubes like we saw the other failed snoke clones in TROS, waiting to be woken until his spirit was transferred...

Old Post Mar 4th, 2020 09:08 PM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

But it seems like the aim was for the Loyalists to create a suitable clone vessel for Palpatine to hop into.

So if Snoke is one of those failed clones, it just seems odd that he'd not only be fully sentient/independent without actually containing Palpatine's essence, but also so powerful on his own(Luke implied that he was ~ RotJ Palpatine.)

Or maybe that interpretation of the quote is wrong.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2020 11:32 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Originally posted by Sheev
All this added content might be lackluster, but at least the novel is actually giving us definite answers. Thats at least a good thing because it stops the rampant speculation and head canon.

How is that a good thing? Ambiguity can certainly have its place and is often preferable to definitive answers. However, how Sidious survived was something that needed to be answered and it had to be done IN THE FILM! It’s absolutely mind bogging that they thought they could just “hand wave” that.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2020 11:35 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

Leaked page from the novel seems to confirm that Palpatine's spirit was inhabiting a clone body, and was literally breaking down due to his immense power(more or less identical to DE):
https://i.imgur.com/mAMha43.jpg

If his power was destroying the clone body why did draining Rey and Kylo heal him? Shouldn't it have overloaded his clone body instead?

Old Post Mar 5th, 2020 11:54 AM
Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scizard

special dyad powers btw

Old Post Mar 5th, 2020 12:33 PM
Click here to Send Scizard a Private Message Find more posts by Scizard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Yet another leaked excerpt from the novel details Palpatine's "son"/Rey's "father" -- it's actually a continuation of the text I posted earlier...

"One genetic strandcast lived. Thrived, even. A not-quite-identical clone. His "son". But he was a useless, powerless failure. Palpatine could not bear to look upon such disappointing ordinariness. The boy's only worth would lay in continuing the bloodline through more natural methods.

And it was through that eventual union, unexpected as it was, that Rey was born. The perfect vessel. Strong enough to contain all the power of the Sith. His granddaughter."

So yeah... It seems like Palpatine actually WANTED his clone vessel to be both sentient AND strong with the Force.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 5th, 2020 at 06:18 PM

Old Post Mar 5th, 2020 02:02 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

Originally posted by ares834
How is that a good thing? Ambiguity can certainly have its place and is often preferable to definitive answers. However, how Sidious survived was something that needed to be answered and it had to be done IN THE FILM! It’s absolutely mind bogging that they thought they could just “hand wave” that.
I don't disagree that much of this should have been included in the movies.

I'm just glad that "open" questions like this [such as how Sidious survived] are being given definite answers.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2020 05:04 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Yet another leaked excerpt from the novel details Palpatine's "son"/Rey's "father" -- it's actually a continuation of the text I posted earlier...

"One genetic strandcast lived. Thrived, even. A not-quite-identical clone. His "son". But he was a useless, powerless failure. Palpatine could not bear to look upon such disappointing ordinariness. The boy's only worth would lay in continuing the bloodline through more natural methods.

And it was through that eventual union, unexpected as it was, that Rey was born. The perfect vessel. Strong enough to contain all the power of the Sith. His granddaughter."

So yeah... It seems like Palpatine actually WANTED his clone vessel to be both sentient AND strong with the Force.

Wait... Reys Father was another clone of Palpatine?

That means Palpatine isnt Reys actual grandfather.

This is just giving me headache.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2020 09:59 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

So I guess that means the guy we saw in the movie flashback is the Sidious clone.

(please log in to view the image)

Interesting.

And does this mean that Sidious really didn't have the power of every Sith before him?

Old Post Mar 5th, 2020 10:48 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

^SO that's how young Sheev Palpatine looked like?

Old Post Mar 5th, 2020 11:19 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

The novel also confirms that after Palpatine sent Ben hurling off the cliff, he didn't survive by stopping his fall with the Force. He landed on an outcropping, and climbed back up from there.

...Which makes this flashback training sequence from the comics:
https://i.imgur.com/x0gVE2V.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/CcWGOIY.jpg
Completely f*cking irrelevant.

It also states that Ben briefly spoke with Rey after he died:

"Ben Solo had no regrets as he collapsed to the ground. The Force reached for him in welcome. His final awareness was Rey, clasping his hand with her own.

Rey stood over the place Ben had fallen, staring down at his empty tunic. Tears streaming down her face. He had sacrificed everything for her. She did not mourn Kylo Ren. She would never mourn Kylo Ren. But she dearly would have loved a chance to get to know Ben Solo. It felt like half of her was missing, and she supposed it was.

The girl who had felt alone for all those years on Jakku had been part of a Dyad the whole time. And just as she'd discovered that precious connection, that incredible oneness, it was ripped away.

A voice came to her through the Force, clear and strong. "I will always be with you," Ben said. Rey smiled. Let the truth of it wash over her. "No one's ever really gone," she whispered."

Old Post Mar 6th, 2020 01:24 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Tch and people said that Disney SW was gonna be consistent and do away with all the nonsense that the old EU had..well that horse was shot in the face.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2020 01:37 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

laughing out loud

“Your parents were filthy junk traders who sold you for drinking money. Wait, sorry. I meant to say that you don’t just have power. You have his power. You’re his granddaughter. You are a Palpatine. My mother was the daughter of Vader. Your father was the son of the Emperor. Well, I say “son,” but actually he was a clone of Palpatine. So really, Palpatine is kiiinda technically still your grandfather, but can also be sort of like your father or uncle depending on how you look at it. But at the same time you’re not his actual descendant, so it’s kind of like what you thought when you said you were a nobody. It’s just that this nobody happens to be the clone of the Emperor. I never lied to you, Rey.”

What a ****in mess.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2020 03:42 AM
ares834

Apparently Matt Martin wasn't even aware of this.

https://twitter.com/missingwords/st...430023491768320

So much for the "story" group...

laughing out loud

Old Post Mar 6th, 2020 03:57 AM
xPRIMEx

laughing out loud

“Your parents were filthy junk traders who sold you for drinking money. Wait, sorry. I meant to say that you don’t just have power. You have his power. You’re his granddaughter. You are a Palpatine. My mother was the daughter of Vader. Your father was the son of the Emperor. Well, I say “son,” but actually he was a clone of Palpatine. So really, Palpatine is kiiinda technically still your grandfather, but can also be sort of like your father or uncle depending on how you look at it. But at the same time you’re not his actual descendant, so it’s kind of like what you thought when you said you were a nobody. It’s just that this nobody happens to be the clone of the Emperor. I never lied to you, Rey.”

What a ****in mess.

Lol

Old Post Mar 6th, 2020 05:41 AM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

laughing out loud

lol what a tool: google before responding, so you can at least pretend to know whats going on.

The novel also confirms that after Palpatine sent Ben hurling off the cliff, he didn't survive by stopping his fall with the Force. He landed on an outcropping, and climbed back up from there.

Its almost as if youre actually surprised at this point...

Old Post Mar 6th, 2020 07:02 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Tch and people said that Disney SW was gonna be consistent and do away with all the nonsense that the old EU had..well that horse was shot in the face.
The novel hasn't really contradicted anything yet, but the added content just keeps muddying the waters more and more.

laughing out loud
There's no way he couldn't have known. Even if he wasn't part of the storygroup, this info has been exploding the internet the past few days.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2020 02:07 PM
Sheev
The All-Sith

https://i.imgur.com/x0gVE2V.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/CcWGOIY.jpg

It also states that Ben briefly spoke with Rey after he died:

"Ben Solo had no regrets as he collapsed to the ground. The Force reached for him in welcome. His final awareness was Rey, clasping his hand with her own.

Rey stood over the place Ben had fallen, staring down at his empty tunic. Tears streaming down her face. He had sacrificed everything for her. She did not mourn Kylo Ren. She would never mourn Kylo Ren. But she dearly would have loved a chance to get to know Ben Solo. It felt like half of her was missing, and she supposed it was.

The girl who had felt alone for all those years on Jakku had been part of a Dyad the whole time. And just as she'd discovered that precious connection, that incredible oneness, it was ripped away.

A voice came to her through the Force, clear and strong. "I will always be with you," Ben said. Rey smiled. Let the truth of it wash over her. "No one's ever really gone," she whispered."
I still wonder when Ben learned how to become a spirit??

Old Post Mar 7th, 2020 02:38 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

I'm once again impressed with their mistreatment of this goldmine of a franchise.

How difficult is it to just organize? Communicate your ideas before putting them in your book, comic, movie, whatever, so people know not to contradict them? Have a planned story that everyone's aware of so that one bad decision doesn't make the entire trilogy fall apart?

Why are they being so careless?

Old Post Mar 7th, 2020 05:19 PM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Sheev
I still wonder when Ben learned how to become a spirit??
Tbf, Vader/Anakin doing so is even more "wtf".

At least Ben had trained under Luke for a number of years before the events of the ST... Vader somehow managed to become a Force Spirit on the fly, without ever receiving any training/guidance in that area beforehand.

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 7th, 2020 at 10:10 PM

Old Post Mar 7th, 2020 09:53 PM