KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movie Versus Forum » Aragorn vs. Geralt of Rivia

Aragorn vs. Geralt of Rivia
Started by: xPRIMEx

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
xPRIMEx

What if this was a sword fight only? Geralt is faster but Aragorn is bigger (he’s supposed to be like 6’ 6”) and most likely stronger.

Also it’s worth mentioning that Aragorn was able to deflect a thrown knife from Lurtz and dodge arrows in Moria. Obviously blocking a crossbow bolt from close range is more impressive, but still, Geralt’s speed advantage might not be that much. But on the other hand, Aragorn’s strength advantage might not be much either. Idk

Last edited by xPRIMEx on Sep 16th, 2020 at 04:33 AM

Old Post Sep 16th, 2020 04:27 AM
xPRIMEx is currently offline Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Still like to know how Aragorn has a strength advantage.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2020 08:21 AM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

I might be forgetting something but I don’t think geralt has any crazy strength feats in the show. Aragorn’s blocked strikes from an Olog-Hai war troll, a stronger version of the cave troll in Moria that was punching through stone walls. He also tossed Gimli 10-15 feet. And like I said he’s supposed to be at least 6’ 6”, so he’s a lot bigger than Geralt too.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2020 07:44 PM
xPRIMEx is currently offline Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by xPRIMEx
How would he be in striking distance if he’s blown back?

The men in the dragon cave had plenty of time to recover from it

I'm saying wait till he gets pretty close, then put him on his back. If all he was...was a step away from striking distance, Geralt quickly takes on step and then stabs him while he is down.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2020 09:17 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

You need to watch the fight with the striga again. Particularly just before the end when the striga runs at him and he 1 punches it clean back across the room.

at 3:40.

Also put it in context of just prior when the striga is ragdolling geralt into walls and pillars.

He's less strong than the striga but not by much and it's strength is pretty beast mode itself.

Last edited by jaden_2.0 on Sep 17th, 2020 at 12:17 AM

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 12:14 AM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I mean yeah, I feel if they both just tossed their swords down and went h2h geralt would wreck.

Either way he wins. Unless he drinks a potion to weaken himself before the fight

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 12:26 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

What if this was a sword fight only? Geralt is faster but Aragorn is bigger (he’s supposed to be like 6’ 6”) and most likely stronger.

Also it’s worth mentioning that Aragorn was able to deflect a thrown knife from Lurtz and dodge arrows in Moria. Obviously blocking a crossbow bolt from close range is more impressive, but still, Geralt’s speed advantage might not be that much. But on the other hand, Aragorn’s strength advantage might not be much either. Idk

Geralt didn't simply block the bolts. He didn't just hold up his sword up and wait for the bolts to hit (like Jon Snow vs Ramsay from GoT, for example). He timed and intercepted them, which requires more precision than dodging something, as that simply requires you to move out of the path of the projectile.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 02:29 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

And I don't recall Lurtz throwing knives at 300-400 feet per second, which is the speed at which crossbow bolts tend to travel.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 02:31 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

One of the bolts was blocked with him barely paying attention and if I recall he blocked one with a reverse grip which made it 10 times more difficult and complicated since he'd have to move his arm in a completely different motion, from a different position, etc...

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 03:00 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

Yeah I admitted Geralt’s speed feat was more impressive, I was just pointing out that Aragorn’s pretty fast too.

I re watched the fight with the Striga. It’s a badass fight, and Geralt’s definitely strong as **** too but I just think that Aragorn blocking strikes from an Olog-Hai war troll that has the strength to punch through stone walls is just as if not more impressive. That’s just my opinion though. Either way I think they’re strength is pretty similar.

So I guess I’d agree that Geralt would most likely win due to his signs and his speed. I just don’t think it’d be a stomp.

A strict sword fight would be even closer. But Geralt would still have an advantage due to his speed.

Last edited by xPRIMEx on Sep 17th, 2020 at 03:31 AM

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 03:28 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Yeah I admitted Geralt’s speed feat was more impressive, I was just pointing out that Aragorn’s pretty fast too.

I re watched the fight with the Striga. It’s a badass fight, and Geralt’s definitely strong as **** too but I just think that Aragorn blocking strikes from an Olog-Hai war troll that has the strength to punch through stone walls is just as if not more impressive. That’s just my opinion though. Either way I think they’re strength is pretty similar.

So I guess I’d agree that Geralt would most likely win due to his signs and his speed. I just don’t think it’d be a stomp.

A strict sword fight would be even closer. But Geralt would still have an advantage due to his speed.

This is pretty much my view. Good fight, because their relatively well-balanced overall. And, as mentioned, Geralt does use his Signs in combat, but he doesn't over-use them. So, it's mostly down to having better speed IMO.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 03:40 AM
xPRIMEx

thumb up

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 06:12 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I feel like part of it is PIS. Plenty of situations where slinging a little fire would have helped.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 10:51 PM
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

He had plenty of situations throughout the first season where several of his Signs would have been useful. Not sure if they just couldn't figure out the effects on the first season or they were trying to make us wait but Geralt made multiple situations harder for himself because he conveniently forgot he could shoot fire or control minds or create an impenetrable forcefield.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 11:36 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

Yeah that’s just PIS. I’m sure he’ll have more signs in future seasons, the fire one will be cool

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 12:28 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by Surtur
I feel like part of it is PIS. Plenty of situations where slinging a little fire would have helped.

Maybe. But all we have to go on for this version of Geralt is what we have in S1. Because while the Netflix series does draw strongly from the books, there are also a number of deviations (ranging from how certain events unfolds, when they happen, as well as certain character depictions, notable examples being Eyck and Vilgefortz) that make it clear that this is its own standalone continuity.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 09:03 AM