KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » saber style Makashi: Questions

saber style Makashi: Questions
Started by: Board Walker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Board Walker

So if makashi is weak vs strong forms, its weak vs half of the forms? Juyo, vaapad, djem? This doesn't seem right to me....

Makashi seems very deadly to me, more so then vaapad or jyo which is more wild. Makashi is based on speed, precision, biut why can't it also be power, like why can not one use vaapad with makashi? Channel their inner darkness into their makashi for power,speed, as well as its natural precision, deadliness?

Old Post Jun 26th, 2010 02:24 PM
Click here to Send Board Walker a Private Message Find more posts by Board Walker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tortoise Herder

Board Walker:

"So if makashi is weak vs strong forms, its weak vs half of the forms? Juyo, vaapad, djem? This doesn't seem right to me...."

Again, this is where we get off the strictly doctrinaire issues, because in the end much lies on the individual skills and style of the combatants and how well they can do things like adapt to sudden changes, read their opponent, etc. As a general rule, though, Makashi does not do well against styles that get "in your face" and which feature constant relentless attacking. This is NOT to say that a Makashi user cannot survive such a strategy, particularly if they are good and their opponent is not so, but this is a general rule, like "Battleships usually cannot defeat Aircraft carriers."

"Makashi is based on speed, precision, biut why can't it also be power"

Because it really isn't FOCUSED on landing powerful hits, but rather on nickel-and-diming the opponent by countering their attacks and waiting until they get sufficiently tired to actually finish off. For much of the fight it focuses more on harassment and defense than on attack.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2010 02:56 PM
Click here to Send Tortoise Herder a Private Message Find more posts by Tortoise Herder Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Board Walker

But what if it were a attack based makashi, aiming for vital and deadly precise hits, instead of nickel and diming.

What iif one were to channel their inner darkness into it as well, like vaapad, to buff their speed, strength and power, would that be possible? A blend of vaapad and makashi?

Old Post Jun 26th, 2010 03:06 PM
Click here to Send Board Walker a Private Message Find more posts by Board Walker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think the misconception is that Makashi is always weak against a form that utilizes greater physical strength and kinetic energy.

Count Dooku would pimpsmack the vast majority of such individuals.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2010 03:55 PM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Board Walker

That's what I mean...I also believe a master of kakashi would defeat most othe forms, including vaapad, and juyo. I think dookus main reasons for losing to anakin were psychological, underestimating, not retreating, going brute blows vs blows, rather then parrying and redirecting the kinetic force of his opponent makashi specializes in?

I for one think a makashi /vaapad hybrid would be amaing, or say if sidious was a makashi master, he could use his mass dark side energy to buff his makashi blows right?

I really see no reason makashi is weak vs strong forms, the user could just redirect strong kinetic hits, dodge, or parry. Or use strong strikes their self by using their force energy to buffer their attacks and using momentum from speed.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2010 05:15 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Makashi isn't weak... Not by a long shot.

Granted it was stated that Dooku's Makashi didn't possess the kinetic power to meet Anakin's Djem So head to head, but that was Anakin's Djem So -- the same Anakin who was tapping so much force energy that he was compared to a "thermonuclear furnace" of which Dooku feared ever going supercritical (which he ultimately did anyway.)

But yeah, in an all things being equal match, I'd give the nod to a master of Makashi over a master of Djem So every single time.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jun 26th, 2010 05:41 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Enyalus
MALE DOMINANCE!!!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
But yeah, in an all things being equal match, I'd give the nod to a master of Makashi over a master of Djem So every single time.

Right. I'm positive that in a typical match between the two, Djem So's power wouldn't come off as being an advantage because of Makashi's ability to deflect the blade without flat-out blocking it head-on. Power would be irrelevant, then. But Anakin was so fast Dooku perceived the air in front of him as being painted blue with his lightsaber glow. Definitely not the standard Djem So user.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2010 06:05 PM
Click here to Send Enyalus a Private Message Find more posts by Enyalus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Enyalus
Right. I'm positive that in a typical match between the two, Djem So's power wouldn't come off as being an advantage because of Makashi's ability to deflect the blade without flat-out blocking it head-on. Power would be irrelevant, then. But Anakin was so fast Dooku perceived the air in front of him as being painted blue with his lightsaber glow. Definitely not the standard Djem So user.
Yep. Anakin was simply more powerful -- that's the main reason he won. Realistically, ALL forms would be hindered to at least some degree if their user(s) were combating a more powerful opponent. That said, Dooku could have been using any form of lightsaber combat (sans perhaps Vaapad) and he would have been tooled just the same.

...Though Makashi was likely the best form Dooku could have been using in that situation (saber to saber) -- but against Anakin's raw power, it counted for nothing.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2010 06:37 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Enyalus
MALE DOMINANCE!!!

I think Soresu would've been better, personally. I mean, Obi-Wan was definitely weaker than Vader on Mustafar, and it showed in the novel, yet he had none of the trouble Dooku had dealing with it.

Simplicity and Dooku don't mix, though.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2010 06:44 PM
Click here to Send Enyalus a Private Message Find more posts by Enyalus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I've always wondered if General Grievous went all out in his sparring matches with Dooku?

I'm only ask because after GG kicked up his striking speed to 20 per second, it was enough to overwhelm even Obi-Wan's Soresu. Dooku, on the other hand, casually dueled with GG as though he were a skilless feeb.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2010 06:59 PM
Board Walker

These post have provided much understanding and broad insight. However why is it in the versus matches people say vaapad is the best and would trump dookus makashi due to raw power every time? Makashi is designed to nulify power.

I don't see vaapad mace as more powerful or faster then anakin when they dueled, or was he? I'm not making statements, I'm asking, that's why I post here to learn. Would dookus makashi be able to beat mace"s vaapad?

Also is vaapad esentially juyo+ability to channel inner darkness? But don't dark side juyo users already do that? What's the diff bw a vaapad user and master juyo user?

Oooo let's say a master of makashi vs a master of vaapad fought, both equal level, which would win going by saber form?

Old Post Jun 26th, 2010 07:03 PM
Enyalus
MALE DOMINANCE!!!

Originally posted by Galan007
I've always wondered if General Grievous went all out in his sparring matches with Dooku?

I'm only ask because after GG kicked up his striking speed to 20 per second, it was enough to overwhelm even Obi-Wan's Soresu. Dooku, on the other hand, casually dueled with GG as though he were a skilless feeb.

I have to assume it was just that - sparring. I mean, remember in ROTS when Dooku still thinks Obi-Wan is using Ataru and runs through a set of sequences designed to get Obi-Wan to jump into the air so he can kill him? Obi-Wan blocks every strike without even moving his feet. And for the rest of the match he does well lightsaber-to-lightsaber against him. That'd suggest to me that at the very least, Obi-Wan's Soresu was on par with Dooku's Makashi speed-wise.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2010 07:03 PM
Enyalus
MALE DOMINANCE!!!

Board Walker: Dooku's Makashi is never going to beat Mace's Vaapad, because Dooku is a Dark Sider and that's Vaapad's bread and butter.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2010 07:04 PM
Board Walker

Also general grievous strength wise and speed wise was on windus level? If so how was dooku able to fight him so easily...its things like these that make me think makashi would beat heavy kinetic styles, and that its loss to djem so was based upon special circumstances via anakin?

Old Post Jun 26th, 2010 07:06 PM
Board Walker

Hmm so if dooku was same skill level in rots, but was a grey jedi, not darkside just outcast, would his makashi beat vaapad since its not dark side?

Old Post Jun 26th, 2010 07:07 PM
Enyalus
MALE DOMINANCE!!!

Originally posted by Board Walker
Hmm so if dooku was same skill level in rots, but was a grey jedi, not darkside just outcast, would his makashi beat vaapad since its not dark side?

If Dooku wasn't drawing on the Dark Side during the match (Grey Jedi can do that), then IMO Dooku's got a good chance at beating Mace and his Vaapad. They're about equals, skill-wise.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2010 07:09 PM
Enyalus
MALE DOMINANCE!!!

I feel kind of compelled to point out another instance of Makashi vs. Djem So aside from Dooku and Anakin.

Jedi Master Valenthyne Farfalla was most likely a master of Makashi, who had months of combat experience fighting and killing Sith opponents at the Battle of Ruusan. Yet even amped by Battle Meditation and joined by other Jedi, he had trouble with Darth Bane (who wielded Djem So.) And once the Battle Meditation was interrupted and Farfalla had to fight Bane one-on-one, Bane easily overwhelmed and killed him.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2010 07:15 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Board Walker
Would dookus makashi be able to beat mace"s vaapad?

Also is vaapad esentially juyo+ability to channel inner darkness? But don't dark side juyo users already do that? What's the diff bw a vaapad user and master juyo user?

Oooo let's say a master of makashi vs a master of vaapad fought, both equal level, which would win going by saber form?
As Eny said, Mace would be able to best Dooku, because Dooku is a dark sider... And Vaapad quite literally eats darkness for lunch.

Vaapad channels the darkness of it's user AND that of the opponent as an offensive 'weapon of the lght' (which is why it is arguably the most powerful form.)

I would still give the nod to Vaapad in an all things being equal match vs. Makashi. Mainly because a user of Vaapad is still free to harness their own inner darkness.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jun 26th, 2010 at 07:24 PM

Old Post Jun 26th, 2010 07:22 PM
Enyalus
MALE DOMINANCE!!!

And....

The difference between a Juyo Master and a Vaapad master, in addition to the channeling darkness thing, is that Juyo is an incomplete form. Mace took Juyo, perfected it and made it his own. I imagine Juyo against Vaapad is the difference between a flintlock gun and a gas-powered gun. Same basic principle, with one being the more polished, finished product.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2010 07:33 PM
Board Walker

Why can't a makashi channel its own inner darkness as well?

I don't see vaapad as any more developed or indepth then any other form....if juyo was incomplete, which it may have been so in maces perception, but tha doesn't make it so across perceptual reality of all who view it.

I just do not understand how some perceive that vaapad trumps all, or is more refined, powerful, overall better then any other form, especially one specifically for 1v1 saber fighting.

Its already been discussed tha makashi isn't weak vs kinetic force, just dooku was unable to handle "anakins" kinetic force, which was greater then any others at that moment, along with speed?

I see vaapad as being a varient of juyo, one which channels an individuals inner darkness in a cerain way and utilizes it with juyo. I also believe one could so with makashi, or any form. As for using anothers darkness against them, or use their light against them, I see any form being able to do this, all dependent upon the individual.

In essence I see makashi vs vaapad as makashi vs juyo+skill in channeling ones own emotion and or other person/s emotion. The channeling bit being non exclusive to any form, and able to be utilized by any form all dependent upon the indvidual. Light or darkness, an individual could channel their opponents light or darkness given enough skill and practice.

Last edited by Board Walker on Jun 26th, 2010 at 08:37 PM

Old Post Jun 26th, 2010 08:30 PM