KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » King Kandy's Super Tourney!

King Kandy's Super Tourney!
Started by: King Kandy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (23): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

How it Works:

You draft a certain number of comic book/manga characters in a round of drafting set up by Kandy.

You then use those three character to debate why they would win against your opponents. You can come up with any advancements you wish during prep so long as they comply with Kandy's rules and then apply them to any strategy you want to use to defeat your opponent.

It is rather simple really. Just read previous battles to see how the process works.

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Sep 25th, 2010 06:54 PM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black bolt z
Mindsets Master

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Blair Wind
How it Works:

You draft a certain number of comic book/manga characters in a round of drafting set up by Kandy.

You then use those three character to debate why they would win against your opponents. You can come up with any advancements you wish during prep so long as they comply with Kandy's rules and then apply them to any strategy you want to use to defeat your opponent.

It is rather simple really. Just read previous battles to see how the process works.
But see I see stuff like this....

Originally posted by Digi
Digi Post #1

My GG post follows this one.

Sorry you were disappointed in my opening strategy PG. Because I'm thrilled with it.

I. Drainer Nonsense

1. PG doesn't have a scan of it working through any kind of thick material. I know because I both browsed his scans and also called him out on it in our earlier match. 25 meters is thicker than most buildings, wider than an average house, and there's no empty space in the middle. It's solid all the way through. It didn't work before, and I'm not sure why he thinks it'll work this time. So, PG spends most of the fight underwater firing the drainer at a giant ice block. Awesome.

2. There's also no evidence for it being omni-directional. It's a gun, you point it. So ignore the frankly false pictures he drew. They aren't scans, they aren't evidence, and they don't match the evidence.

3. Let's say you think the gun's affect can get through the ice (though there's no reason to). At the very least he's reducing its range and potency to the point of being worthless.

4. I will never be anywhere he can easily hit, and will always have the element of surprise because spider-sense will alert me to their teleports in time for me to either get away or attack them before they even materialize.

II. Robot Dies Easily

Is this guy a joke? Alright, so this is a low meta tourney. So what would Titanium Man be (an Iron man villain)? Mid meta at worst. Observe:
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/41...man08531wj3.jpg
and
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/...strengthmr2.jpg
and
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/...man09531ax6.jpg

PG has one of two robot units teleporting around, and the other is harboring Pip/Harrow underwater. Frankly, a single Spider-Man punch would take the little one's head off...you saw what it was doing to Titanium Man, who can tank Iron Man attacks.

So basically, the robot teleports in, I know about it before it happens, and Pete takes his head off and crushes his body before he gets an attack off. People in the Invincible universe are not on the same power levels as Marvel and DC.

III. Precognition

First, this:
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6668/feat27sswe5.jpg

Now, precognition, by its very definition, means that you know something before it happens. Last week's Amazing Spider-Man quoted Pete as saying he had 2 seconds notice before a particular attack. You or I can rumble off a jump, a couple kicks, or 4-5 punches in 2 seconds. Spider-Man, who is (pre-upgrade) 40x human reflexes, can do dozens of things.

So if they try to teleport to me, the full brunt of my attacks will be brought to bear on them before they materialize. And anything they attack me with, be it a physical attack or pulse of some sort, will be swallowed by my spot-shield, which I made big enough to crouch behind and cover my entire body.

Environmental disturbance?! Erm, wut? Anyway, the drainer emits a pulse. Pulses travel in a single direction. I will swallow anything coming directly toward me into the shield. Will the other aspect of the pulse (the ones not hitting me) continue in a straight line like logic dictates, or defy reason by looping back around and hitting me in the back? Child, please.

Spider-Man wasn't hurt because it was Spot attacking him, who has human-level physical stats. You missed my point entirely. The point was to show that Spot can hit SM multiple times, who is WAY faster than your team, and that each of those attacks will be capable of killing you.

So...you're firing the drainer up into the ice, yeah? And you will have no way knowing if I teleport an attack below you that explodes you, gores you, etc. So what's stopping a spot from materializing under you bum and having a pumpkin bomb hurtle through it? Or any number of other attacks? Nothing stops it. Sorry, but you get pumpkin-raped.

Hey, you found some offense that wasn't the drainer. Congrats! (Judges, these are his only two attacks that I can see). Problem being, if "Unit02" is close to enough to my guy to use this, he's already dead, as explained above.

Spots + spider-sense = infinite initiative. Even if you only believe some of what I'm selling (I strive to justify all of it, however), my speed, senses, and mode of transportation and attack means that I will always dictate the terms of engagement. And in this match, that spells doom for the other team.

Misc.

He showed a scan of the big robot firing a missile. Which gives me the chance to post this awesomesauce:
http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/...10speed1tz6.jpg

More futility from the PG camp.

And I'm just beginning, because I've only been using 2/3 of my amalgam thus far.
Originally posted by psycho gundam
Lulz at everything just now.

The drainer is a gun? since when? I lol'd for real, then face palmed.

You keep equating my characters to something Spider-man has faced when in actuality they are unique characters, that should be obvious.

"1. PG doesn't have a scan of it working through any kind of thick material. I know because I both browsed his scans and also called him out on it in our earlier match. 25 meters is thicker than most buildings, wider than an average house, and there's no empty space in the middle. It's solid all the way through. It didn't work before, and I'm not sure why he thinks it'll work this time. So, PG spends most of the fight underwater firing the drainer at a giant ice block. Awesome."

^ I honestly didn't remember that transpiring, meh. Thickness maters not when the issue is radiation. Water is simply not a useful means of shielding it, which is an understatement regarding the sheer power of the drainer. Again, Sentry was victim to it.

Defeating unit02 is okay with me actually, let's unit01 get you for sure since unit02 can't fly. You'd have to be next to him whole or in part to defeat him which puts you in the drainer's influence.

"Spider-Man wasn't hurt because it was Spot attacking him, who has human-level physical stats. You missed my point entirely. The point was to show that Spot can hit SM multiple times, who is WAY faster than your team, and that each of those attacks will be capable of killing you."

^ Drainer bud, you can only hope to fight one of my suits, the decoy.
Unit01's stronger anyway.

This post-for-post shit is annoying, it's mostly me rehashing the drainer someway when the scans say it all. Your guys can't touch my amalgam legitimately, plus the ice barrier is a big obstacle for you not me.

The meager ice thickness stopping radiation part was a funny one though, my old collage schoolmate that works with Greenpeace would love to hear that one.

Spider-sense doesn't get triggered by the drainer

(please log in to view the image)

^ i hope Chemistro's gun is not being confused with anything here, he never even fired it to inspire that conclusion :/

And it scares the crap out of for how much that is.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2010 07:59 PM
Black bolt z is currently offline Click here to Send Black bolt z a Private Message Find more posts by Black bolt z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Well there's no post limit here so smaller posts will probably be more normal.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2010 02:04 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

I need to gracefully decline. I am far to busy, and sooo tired. I just don’t have the time, or energy to compete. Sorry guys.

Otherwise I would take this tournmant by storm, or at the very least give anyone huge headaches.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2010 02:53 AM
"Id" is currently offline Click here to Send "Id" a Private Message Find more posts by "Id" Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Well, you responded at least.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2010 03:12 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Darth is trying to find a way to compete

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Sep 26th, 2010 05:10 AM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Yeah, he PMed me. I'm happy to have him even if it's at less than full potential.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2010 05:26 AM
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Originally posted by King Kandy
Yeah, he PMed me. I'm happy to have him even if it's at less than full potential.

Even a less than well fed Darth Goober can solo half the competitors so far arrayed here.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2010 09:56 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

i'll compete if i get a partner in crime, i can't stay away from these things

(i'm looking straight at goob)

Old Post Sep 26th, 2010 11:57 PM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

Originally posted by Omega Vision
The only way to get better at something is to practice. I did a lot better on my second tourney than on the first. I still lost, but I was up against two of the greatests debaters on the site. And for a second I actually thought I might beat Smurph.

Then he broke my balls.
Heh... it's funny, because as I recall, the judges were making you out to be the better debater with the worse drafts. So I'd say you held your own.
Originally posted by Black bolt z
But see I see stuff like this....
Which seems really overwhelming and intimidating, but a big reason for coming across like that is because it was one of the later matches of the tournament- Digi (a tourney vet, who knows the ropes as well as anybody) had eased into the tourney format, seen PG in a previous match and was just getting into the swing of things.

Take a look at opening matches of tournaments, and you'll see that people start off a lot slower. Once everybody really starts to get into a 'tournament mindset' towards the middle-end of the tourney, things start moving a bit faster and heavier, but by then you'll be keeping pace too.

In these things, you set out to write a short, sweet post, and finish ten minutes later with a full blown essay. It's kinda ridonk, and Digi might be the worst for it, but it doesn't feel nearly so overwhelming as a competitor.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2010 01:50 AM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Originally posted by psycho gundam
i'll compete if i get a partner in crime, i can't stay away from these things

(i'm looking straight at goob)

Sorry, it's singles. But that's what you did last time, so surely it will be no trouble?

Old Post Sep 27th, 2010 01:57 AM
Omega Vision

Originally posted by Existere
Heh... it's funny, because as I recall, the judges were making you out to be the better debater with the worse drafts. So I'd say you held your own.

If it had gone on any longer you would have had to resort to bfr. stick out tongue

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2010 02:56 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

@ black bolt -

The tourney you alluded to had a post limit, so we had to squeeze as much as possible into every post. That said, you will need to be prepared for all kinds of plans, strategies, and counter-plans in order to win. This sounds harder than it actually is, because it's a bit more intuitive when you have an opponent's arguments to counter.

And tbh, most people lose early in their first tournaments. There have been, and will be, exceptions, but it's a lot of fun and everyone gets better as they compete more. So if you're curious, enter. The worst that'll happen is Smurph or somebody will hand you your ass, everyone will tell you what you did well and/or need to improve on, and you'll be 1000% more ready for your next attempts. And at best, you upset some people and have a great time.

Also, as Smurph mentioned, mine might not have been the best posts to look at for comfort. There's debaters that are as good as or better than me, but I'm probably the most guilty of having complex and intricate posts. PG is a better example of how some incoherent rants can get you to a tourney final.

Digi (a tourney vet, who knows the ropes as well as anybody)

cool

It's kinda ridonk, and Digi might be the worst for it

mad

Old Post Sep 27th, 2010 11:18 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

mad

You have to admit, you have created some of the most convoluted plans ever (like in batdude's 1st tourney)...

Old Post Sep 27th, 2010 11:29 PM
Black bolt z
Mindsets Master

@ black bolt -

The tourney you alluded to had a post limit, so we had to squeeze as much as possible into every post. That said, you will need to be prepared for all kinds of plans, strategies, and counter-plans in order to win. This sounds harder than it actually is, because it's a bit more intuitive when you have an opponent's arguments to counter.

And tbh, most people lose early in their first tournaments. There have been, and will be, exceptions, but it's a lot of fun and everyone gets better as they compete more. So if you're curious, enter. The worst that'll happen is Smurph or somebody will hand you your ass, everyone will tell you what you did well and/or need to improve on, and you'll be 1000% more ready for your next attempts. And at best, you upset some people and have a great time.

Also, as Smurph mentioned, mine might not have been the best posts to look at for comfort. There's debaters that are as good as or better than me, but I'm probably the most guilty of having complex and intricate posts. PG is a better example of how some incoherent rants can get you to a tourney final.

cool

mad
I know its harder as I did some a few years ago.

I have no problem with losing.Its more that i'd like to sit and watch the first time to get the jist of it.

Also: Smurph would hand be my ass....on a silver platter....with a side of chocolate syrup.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2010 01:41 AM
Black bolt z is currently offline Click here to Send Black bolt z a Private Message Find more posts by Black bolt z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Just join already. It'll round out the numbers.

Currently:

1. Blair
2. Smurph
3. Psycho Gundam
4. Ambient
5. Darthgoober
6. Rader
7. Colossus Big-C

Last edited by King Kandy on Sep 28th, 2010 at 02:13 AM

Old Post Sep 28th, 2010 02:10 AM
Omega Vision

Originally posted by Black bolt z
I know its harder as I did some a few years ago.

I have no problem with losing.Its more that i'd like to sit and watch the first time to get the jist of it.

Also: Smurph would hand be my ass....on a silver platter....with a side of chocolate syrup.

I think if you don't feel like you're ready to enter a tourney then you wouldn't have much business judging for one. That's just my take.

And as I said before you won't learn much without actually participating.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2010 02:45 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by King Kandy
You have to admit, you have created some of the most convoluted plans ever (like in batdude's 1st tourney)...

lol, agreed entirely. I will contend, however, that my plans haven't been any more far-fetched than MANY others from the likes of leo, Scoob, Blair, etc. Many of us dislike such insanity, myself among them, but we have to scale our plans to the competition. A lot of that ridiculousness was brought about from necessity because if loopholes exist in tourney rules, they will be used, and others will have to adjust or lose. And most times, a preemptive exploitation of such strategies is best. But if you watch tourneys, a lot of strategies tend to form similarities to each other as they progress, whether it's herald (you copied 3 powers? we copied 9!), or the recent meta one where everyone ended up with a teleporter by the end of it because it was the most powerful "gimmick" power that wasn't banned under the format.

That's why if I ever ran another tournament it would be the most bland tourney ever. No prep, no loopholes, no crazy powers, just debate. It would be like "you get Batman in a white room, and you're facing Punisher. Go."

Though for the record, I think my plans in batdude's tourney were tame compared to my team's stuff in delph's low meta tourney, or a few that leo and Blair have pulled out of their asses. The leo/Smurph Final of Insanity comes to mind...millisecond destruction of the universe. Or something. I didn't really understand it. Of mine, Minion Prime has to be my favorite, but that was also more justified with scans than some of the others.

Originally posted by Omega Vision
And as I said before you won't learn much without actually participating.

Disagree. If you're actually following matches, and reading them as if you were participating/judging, you'll learn a lot. Experience is indeed the best teacher, but it's not the only one. Do what you're comfortable with, black bolt. I've learned as much from watching/judging/hosting as I have from participating.

To that end, what is this, a high meta tourney? I haven't looked at the rules. Anyway, there exists a respect thread for a reason. Great place to research characters, strategies, and debates.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f105/t443343.html

Last edited by Digi on Sep 28th, 2010 at 05:20 AM

Old Post Sep 28th, 2010 05:00 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Though for the record, I think my plans in batdude's tourney were tame compared to my team's stuff in delph's low meta tourney, or a few that leo and Blair have pulled out of their asses. The leo/Smurph Final of Insanity comes to mind. Of mine, Minion Prime has to be my favorite, but that was also more justified with scans than some of the others.

That was a tourney I had a lot of fun in. Compare Leo's low meta with delphs:

Leos: My guys teleport, maybe depower you, and then beat you up.

Delphs: My guys drop planet exploding missiles on enemies surrounded in a million degree plasma vortex.

Actually, I was pretty proud of the whole rock-nuke scheme, to the point where it was so obviously the best tactic our team could do that we kept doing it match after match. Amazing what differences just having different rules and competitors make.

Disagree. If you're actually following matches, and reading them as if you were participating/judging, you'll learn a lot. Experience is indeed the best teacher, but it's not the only one. Do what you're comfortable with, black bolt. I've learned as much from watching/judging/hosting as I have from participating.

Shush, don't encourage him! I need an eighth participant! wink

Old Post Sep 28th, 2010 05:21 AM
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

PG is a better example of how some incoherent rants can get you to a tourney final.

i have your number

cool

Old Post Sep 28th, 2010 05:23 AM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote