KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Does EVERYTHING have an opposite?

Does EVERYTHING have an opposite?
Started by: ~Flamboyant~

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (19): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
op·po·site

adj.
1. Placed or located directly across from something else or from each other: opposite sides of a building.

2. Facing the other way; moving or tending away from each other: opposite directions.

3. Being the other of two complementary or mutually exclusive things: the opposite sex; an opposite role to the lead in the play.

a. Altogether different, as in nature, quality, or significance: The effect of the medication was opposite to that intended.

b. Sharply contrasting; antithetical: had opposite views on the subject.

5. Botany Growing in pairs on either side of a stem: opposite leaves.

n.
1. One that is opposite or contrary to another.

2. An opponent or antagonist.

3. An antonym.

adv.
In an opposite position: They sat opposite at the table.

prep.
1. Across from or facing: parked the car opposite the bank.

2. In a complementary dramatic role to: He played opposite her.

Thanks for that, so, we need the noun there for a second (an opposite)

1. One that is opposite or contrary to another.

Hmm contrary to another. Okay, Chocolate, The Smiths, Shakyamunison, Buddha, Sprite, Books, a purple lion all have such an opposite. I mean what is the one that is contrary to Buddha.

2. An opponent or antagonist.

Does everyone have an opponent? What about a new born baby, or one that is not known by anyone else that could be an opponent? Lets just say not everyone has an opponent.

3. An antonym.

An antonym "is a word opposite in meaning to another"

Since most of the things included in everything are not "words", I guess that's a no as well (besides not every word has an antonym either, so there already the "everything has an opposite" theory is shot down)

Fair enough, are we done now? Anyone else going to claim that everything has an opposite besides that obviously not being the case?

Old Post Sep 5th, 2006 07:51 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

3.Being the other of two complementary or mutually exclusive things: the opposite sex; an opposite role to the lead in the play.

a. Altogether different, as in nature, quality, or significance: The effect of the medication was opposite to that intended.

BRAVO!!

You have just proven all my points, than you for that.

I have underlined and empasised the important thigs which prove what i said.

Everything has a duality - something which is opposite to something else, IE, what it isn't. The fricking deffinition tells you so.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Last edited by lil bitchiness on Sep 5th, 2006 at 08:54 PM

Old Post Sep 5th, 2006 08:51 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by lil bitchiness
BRAVO!!

Everything has a duality - something which is opposite to something else, IE, what it isn't. The fricking deffinition tells you so.

Again, what is the opposite of a piano?

Old Post Sep 5th, 2006 08:56 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

BRAVO!!

The problem is that there are so many definitions of opposite that both everything does and everything does not have an opposite can be true.

Originally posted by Bardock42

The one on the other side of the room.
The one playing the counter point.
There is no opposite.

All these are true.

Last edited by Shakyamunison on Sep 5th, 2006 at 09:01 PM

Old Post Sep 5th, 2006 08:58 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

The problem is that there are so many definitions of opposite that both everything does and everything does not have an opposite can be true.

There is no opposite.

All these are true.

Why doesn't somebody define the term then? Preferably the thread starter.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2006 09:04 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

There is no opposite.

All these are true.

Shakya, that might be the msot stupid thing I have ever.....EVER read.

You understand that you just made 1000 cute baby seals die with that nonsense?

Old Post Sep 5th, 2006 09:08 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Shakya, that might be the msot stupid thing I have ever.....EVER read.

You understand that you just made 1000 cute baby seals die with that nonsense?

1. Placed or located directly across from something else or from each other: opposite sides of a building.

3. Being the other of two complementary or mutually exclusive things: the opposite sex; an opposite role to the lead in the play.

Fact is fact, get over it.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2006 09:20 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Fact is fact, get over it.

I can't get over Bullshit. Either there is an opposite or there isn't. There not being an opposite is for example the opposite of their being an opposite, so in this case there is an opposite.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2006 09:21 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I can't get over Bullshit. Either there is an opposite or there isn't. There not being an opposite is for example the opposite of their being an opposite, so in this case there is an opposite.

Why don't you read? It all depends on what opposite means.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2006 09:24 PM
Bardock42

Why don't you read? It all depends on what opposite means.

No..really, it doesn't, that's just a very basic concept. If something has an opposite in one of those cases the thing has an opposite. You'll probably call me pedantic or something, but what you said was just wrong.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2006 09:27 PM
debbiejo
Dreamer

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Why doesn't somebody define the term then? Preferably the thread starter.
The term can also be abstract. It is only OUR label of what we think is opposite, but necessarily what the TRUE meaning of it is.

Again Bardock, the opposite of a piano is a non piano.

Night - day
male - female
creative - non creative
dog - non dog
fries - non fries
trees, non trees
Spirit - no spirit
Rich - poor ( or your view of rich and poor)
aggressive - passive
Happy - sad
owned - free
Attracted - non Attracted
Beer - non beer
Secure - non secure
Stable - non stable
Judgement - non judgement
North Pool - South Pole
Yes - No
God - No god
Faith - No faith
Asexual - non sexual
20 plus - 20 minus
Gravity - non gravity

Simple actually IMO.

Mathamatics does show this so.

Last edited by debbiejo on Sep 5th, 2006 at 09:32 PM

Old Post Sep 5th, 2006 09:29 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

No..really, it doesn't, that's just a very basic concept. If something has an opposite in one of those cases the thing has an opposite. You'll probably call me pedantic or something, but what you said was just wrong.

I gave you the definitions. If a person chooses to only use one definition, they maybe closed minded, but the are not technically wrong.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2006 09:31 PM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by debbiejo
The term can also be abstract. It is only OUR label of what we think is opposite, but necessarily what the TRUE meaning of it is.

Again Bardock, the opposite of a piano is a non piano.

Might I just ask, sweetie.

What's the ****ing point of that?

Does everything have an opposite?

'Yes, if you apply the prefix 'non-'.'

Ok, cya!

Old Post Sep 5th, 2006 09:33 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I gave you the definitions. If a person chooses to only use one definition, they maybe closed minded, but the are not technically wrong.

Yeah, maybe, but you saying that it has an opposite but doesn't have one just is wrong.

Okay, debbie..where is this non-piano? Can you show it to me?

Old Post Sep 5th, 2006 09:35 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Yeah, maybe, but you saying that it has an opposite but doesn't have one just is wrong.

Okay, debbie..where is this non-piano? Can you show it to me?

I was merely illustrating the ambiguously of the word. I was not giving my opinion. I gave that back in the beginning of this thread.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2006 09:39 PM
Quiero Mota

Re: Does EVERYTHING have an opposite?

Originally posted by ~Flamboyant~
Well, is there an opposite for everything?

When it comes to poeple, yes.

In nature? Yeah I guess so.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 12:04 AM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Right, you cannot think anything which is ''altogether different in nature'' to a piano.

By your logic, everything else, is the same, or similar to piano, and thus, it doen't have an opposite.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 07:23 AM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Right, you cannot think anything which is ''altogether different in nature'' to a piano.

By your logic, everything else, is the same, or similar to piano, and thus, it doen't have an opposite.

No, just something that is different from a piano is the opposite of it. For example a cat just isn't the opposite of a piano. If you think that you are stupid.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 01:13 PM
lil bitchiness
-

Oh and please provide me with evidence which suggests that not everything has an opposite, because maybe then I can stop thinking you're talking out of your ass.

Quite an irony really, particulary because you believe you have ANY authority to decide who is stupid.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 02:00 PM
Bardock42

Oh and please provide me with evidence which suggests that not everything has an opposite, because maybe then I can stop thinking you're talking out of your ass.

Quite an irony really, particulary because you believe you have ANY authority to decide who is stupid.

Look, the matter of the fact is that a Piano doesn't have an opposite. There is no "no-piano" it doesn't exist. The opposite is not the rest of a set.

Look your "no-something" replies don't prove shit, since those "no-something things do not exist. I mean even rich and poor are at most artificial opposites I mean what is the opposite of having 10.000 dollars that. Is it having no money? HAving 10. 000 debts is it having 20 000 dollars? It doesn't have an actual opposite. Oh and just for the record cats are not the opposite of dogs.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 02:06 PM