KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Does EVERYTHING have an opposite?

Does EVERYTHING have an opposite?
Started by: ~Flamboyant~

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (19): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
lil bitchiness
-

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bardock42
Look, the matter of the fact is that a Piano doesn't have an opposite. There is no "no-piano" it doesn't exist. The opposite is not the rest of a set.

Look your "no-something" replies don't prove shit, since those "no-something things do not exist. I mean even rich and poor are at most artificial opposites I mean what is the opposite of having 10.000 dollars that. Is it having no money? HAving 10. 000 debts is it having 20 000 dollars? It doesn't have an actual opposite. Oh and just for the record cats are not the opposite of dogs.

Originally posted by lil bitchiness
please provide me with evidence which suggests that not everything has an opposite

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 02:08 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Wow, you want me to prove that something does not exist. Are you sure that you are studying at a University currently? Are you sure you aren't a kindergarten drop out?

Look, we looked at the definition of "Opposite", it does not support your definition, your definition does not exist. Your definition of "opposite" is actually the definition of "complement". Before you go ahead and say it says "complement" in one of the definitions, read again, that is about to things that make up a whole. That is not given.

So still what is the opposite of having 10.000 dollars? What is the opposite of gravity? And I'd still would want you to show me where this opposite of a piano is. I mean you should be able since everything supposedly has an opposite (no it doesn't)

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 02:17 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Well a non piano is one that is not a piano. It could be a wind instrument, or brass...........It just isn't a piano.. ..It could be a stick even...........just not a piano...
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Might I just ask, sweetie.

What's the ****ing point of that?

Does everything have an opposite?

'Yes, if you apply the prefix 'non-'.'

Ok, cya!
I'm not sure, I suppose it was just the opposite of me being you...........lol

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 02:26 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Wow, you want me to prove that something does not exist. Are you sure that you are studying at a University currently? Are you sure you aren't a kindergarten drop out?

Look, we looked at the definition of "Opposite", it does not support your definition, your definition does not exist. Your definition of "opposite" is actually the definition of "complement". Before you go ahead and say it says "complement" in one of the definitions, read again, that is about to things that make up a whole. That is not given.

So still what is the opposite of having 10.000 dollars? What is the opposite of gravity? And I'd still would want you to show me where this opposite of a piano is. I mean you should be able since everything supposedly has an opposite (no it doesn't)

Awwwh, whats the matter? You're all pissy now, and insluting because you have absolutely NO evidence for what you saying.
Technical term for that is ''talking out of one's ass''. This instance yours.

'kindergarden drop out'? Don't be pathetic.

Show me the evidence which suggest that there could not possibly be an opposite. A deffinition or a theory as to why this is impossible.

You have no grounds for claim apart from your own simple minded logic.

You know what else strikes me mind numbing apart from your arrogance?

You claiming that thousands and thousends of years old philosophy is ''wrong'' and ''stupid'' and basing that claim on absolutely nothing.
Damn those Chinese.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 02:27 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Originally posted by debbiejo
Well a non piano is one that is not a piano. It could be a wind instrument, or brass...........It just isn't a piano.. ..It could be a stick even...........just not a piano...

debbiejo, its pointless arguing. One thing worst than an ignorant person, is the one who is not willing to learn, or think outside what they have thought up.

Everything has an opposite, and although its not absolute, it is relative.

Apperantly it is sometimes difficult for people to comprehand that.

Last edited by lil bitchiness on Sep 6th, 2006 at 02:32 PM

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 02:29 PM
Bardock42

So your definition of opposite is "Something that is not the other part of the opposite" ...you know that the clue of "opposite" the thing that males it so awesomely useful and the reason why it is still around is because it makes sense the opposite is something TWO particular things may share. If a stick is the opposite of a piano and a cat is the opposite of a stick then a cat is a piano....and we all know that's not true, right?

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 02:30 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

debbiejo, its pointless arguing. One thing worst than an ignorant person, is the one who is not willing to learn, or think outside what they have thought up.

Everything has an opposite, and although its not absolute, it is relative.

Apperantly it is sometimes difficult for people to comprehand that.

Oh of course if you want a subjective opposite that's easy, I mean I can make up that the opposite of a piano is a beer can and the opposite of a beer can is a piano. Great I made it up. So everything has an opposite if I made this opposite up? Great useful word this "opposite".

Awwwh, whats the matter? You're all pissy now, and insluting because you have absolutely NO evidence for what you saying.
Technical term for that is ''talking out of one's ass''. This instance yours.

'kindergarden drop out'? Don't be pathetic.

Show me the evidence which suggest that there could not possibly be an opposite. A deffinition or a theory as to why this is impossible.

You have no grounds for claim apart from your own simple minded logic.

You know what else strikes me mind numbing apart from your arrogance?

You claiming that thousands and thousends of years old philosophy is ''wrong'' and ''stupid'' and basing that claim on absolutely nothing.
Damn those Chinese.

I asked you questions, give me answers. I supported my claim with the actual definition of the word opposite. I am not saying those philosophies are wrong, but guess what, the Chinese don't use the word "opposite" ..it is an English word, it has a definition that you can't just bend because it is the word you have learned in your philosophy classes. Not everything has an opposite, that's a fact. You just like the word "opposite", but it just doesn't mean what you want it to mean, sorry.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 02:33 PM
debbiejo
Dreamer

Put on you abstract hat.......Not everything we have given a definition to is a true definition..............at least to me....Oh and Albert Einstein too... big grin

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 02:34 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Put on you abstract hat.......Not everything we have given a definition to is a true definition..............at least to me....Oh and Albert Einstein too... big grin

No, this is not an abstract thing.

There is a true definition of the word "opposite". That's what this thread is about.

The definitions of "opposite" that you folks made up have nothing to do with the topic, so leave 'em out, kay?

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 02:36 PM
lil bitchiness
-

Oh of course if you want a subjective opposite that's easy, I mean I can make up that the opposite of a piano is a beer can and the opposite of a beer can is a piano. Great I made it up. So everything has an opposite if I made this opposite up? Great useful word this "opposite".

I asked you questions, give me answers. I supported my claim with the actual definition of the word opposite. I am not saying those philosophies are wrong, but guess what, the Chinese don't use the word "opposite" ..it is an English word, it has a definition that you can't just bend because it is the word you have learned in your philosophy classes. Not everything has an opposite, that's a fact. You just like the word "opposite", but it just doesn't mean what you want it to mean, sorry.

Posts and posts of irrelevant bullshit, and still no asnwer to my point.

I shall repet it once more -

Provide me with the theory, challenge or evidence that everything doesn't have an opposite!

I base my argument on Metaphysics and Chinese Philosophy. What do you base your argument on?

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 03:50 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Posts and posts of irrelevant bullshit, and still no asnwer to my point.

I shall repet it once more -

Provide me with the theory, challenge or evidence that everything doesn't have an opposite!

I base my argument on Metaphysics and Chinese Philosophy. What do you base your argument on?

Bottom Quark: so far they have never found a Top Quark.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 03:58 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Bottom Quark: so far they have never found a Top Quark.

Which doesn't make it non existant, however...

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 04:01 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Which doesn't make it non existant, however...

Yes, I'm not arguing with you, but it is just as likely that it does not exist. When they finish building that big accelerator, we may find out.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 04:07 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm curious now; How much have you studied regarding Metaphysics and Chinese Philosophy? How long for?

Perhaps tell us who or where you've gathered this vast amount of knowledge from. I'm sure it's not another one of your cultural, monthly fads, I'm sure.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 04:25 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
If this is another "I've studied it!" I.E: I've rented some books from the library, then save it, because anyone can do that.

If you have something to contribute to the discussion, contribute it, if not, do not post random pointless posts getting at me, for whatever reason.

This happens again, I will take it as trolling.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 04:28 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm asking you a very civil question, no need to be so insecure.

What Metaphysics material and Chinese Philosophy material have you studied, and for how long? Because I'm interested, as my cousin is here and has studied such subjects for five years. He seems to believe you're talking in a really uninformed way, regardless of if you are correct.

It's a civil, curious question. Why take it personal? You can't warn people because they're questioning you. You have as bad an attitude as some of the people here. I'm just asking how long you've studied it for, and what you've studied. Civilly, friendly, so why not afford a likewise reply?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 04:34 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

If everything has an opposite, what is the opposite of fire?

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 04:48 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trickster
True KMC Jester

Well, duh, the non-fire.

Death only gives another set of choices.

He who dies with the most toys. Still dies.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 04:49 PM
Trickster is currently offline Click here to Send Trickster a Private Message Find more posts by Trickster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by lord xyz
If everything has an opposite, what is the opposite of fire?

That would depend on how you define fire.

Some say ice, some say water.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 04:51 PM
Peach
mordrem

I wasn't aware that people over the age of 10 actually still believed in the idea of "if it's not something, then it is its opposite."

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 04:51 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote