KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Dawn of War 2

Dawn of War 2
Started by: Burning thought

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (29): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 12:19 PM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

Should be good, but I'm wondering about the base structures. Do we still get to build defensive guns etc or is it all auto managed? And how difficult will they be to destroy, given theres no barracks or other support structures to wipe out first?

Waiting for Chaos though Wonder if demons will be classed as a seperate race this time

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 12:29 PM
Hazardous is currently offline Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MIŠT
Should be good, but I'm wondering about the base structures. Do we still get to build defensive guns etc or is it all auto managed? And how difficult will they be to destroy, given theres no barracks or other support structures to wipe out first?

Waiting for Chaos though Wonder if demons will be classed as a seperate race this time

I don't know about the camping but in skirmish and multiplayer we still build everything from what I can tell, don't see why they wouldn't let us

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 12:31 PM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

No, you don't build things at your base, even in skirmish/multiplay. The Techmarine can build turrets, you can upgrade power points with generators, but you do not expand your base, you only upgrde the main building. It cuts out a lot of the busy work. A literally defensive strategy will be near impossible- because that is absolutely not what Dawn of War has ever been about; it is a map control game. You absolutely must get out there and hold points on the map.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 12:55 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

http://au.pc.ign.com/dor/objects/85...BRoll_XVid.html

Starcraft 2 looks kinda boring in comparison.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 12:56 PM
Hazardous is currently offline Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Originally posted by Ushgarak
No, you don't build things at your base, even in skirmish/multiplay. The Techmarine can build turrets, you can upgrade power points with generators, but you do not expand your base, you only upgrde the main building. It cuts out a lot of the busy work. A literally defensive strategy will be near impossible- because that is absolutely not what Dawn of War has ever been about; it is a map control game. You absolutely must get out there and hold points on the map.

so how do you get the new units now that you dont make the other buildings

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 01:03 PM
Hazardous

The main building makes them:

"Once everyone is all set choosing a faction and a hero, you're ready to drop into battle. One neat thing is that in the game lobby you can't tell what factions and heroes the other side has chosen, so you go in a bit blind in that regards.

The key thing to know about the multiplayer in Dawn of War II, especially in how it compares to the original game, is that it is much more streamlined. For instance, there isn't traditional base building, per se. Each player has a stronghold in the rear area that you command to spew out new units and vehicles. However, there aren't any other support structures that you have to build; the stronghold takes care of everything when it comes to production. This lets you focus on commanding your squads and units on the battlefield. "

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/938/938132p1.html

Hmm that brings another point, won't that slow down production? Let's say you want 3 squads of marines, 1 dreadnought and an upgrade for your commander. You'll have to wait ages for them to build, while you're losing units on the field as well. At least with barrack production you could build more than 1 to get more units built faster.

Last edited by Hazardous on Dec 16th, 2008 at 01:12 PM

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 01:09 PM
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Lack of base building= Weak sauce for me. I've never liked games like that.

I'll buy Starcraft 2 instead.

edit- Well, I guess I'll get it anyway, simply for the sake of crushing MiST and his Chaos heathens under my Inquisitorial boot. And SC:II looks hella boring in that video, the absolute lack of music doesn't help.

Last edited by Final Blaxican on Dec 16th, 2008 at 10:04 PM

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 09:57 PM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I find it hard to see a lack of base building as anything other than an advance- base building brings, objectively, very little of value to the genre. The genre has beene xtremely stale for a long time, and the reason review sites are hyped is because there finally seems to be an advance being made.

Not that there is any Chaos yet.

Mist- things like Dreadnoughts are 'called in' via a seperate mechanic- not to mention a seperate resource, known as 'Zeal' for Space Marines.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Dec 17th, 2008 at 05:38 PM

Old Post Dec 17th, 2008 05:34 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

I love that they added the tyranids finally. I look forward to playing everyone on here who gets it

Old Post Dec 17th, 2008 05:36 PM
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

I find it hard to see a lack of base building as anything other than an advance- base building brings, objectively, very little of value to the genre. The genre has beene xtremely stale for a long time, and the reason review sites are hyped is because there finally seems to be an advance being made.

I disagree. From a competitive standpoint that's true. however, for just ****ing around base building is great. Building map sized walls out of buildings is hilarious. laughing out loud

I don't think "innovation" or change makes a game good, though. So it really is just about opinion. If Starcrat 2 was just Starcraft one but with better graphics, and then SC3 was just SC2 with better graphics, I'd bet it anyway not because it's Starcraft but because that's just how I like my games...

Old Post Dec 17th, 2008 05:46 PM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Innovation for the sake of innovation, no. Innovation to push a genre forwards- that is essential for video gaming as a whole, without whuch we'd still be stuck with the games of the early 80s, just with shinier graphics.

And what you call a 'competitive' viewpoint, I call a 'gameplay' viewpoint. If you want to mess around with building stuff, go plsy SIm City. Games like these have a different priority.

BtVS

Old Post Dec 17th, 2008 07:06 PM
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't want it to have a priority. And if they made a Sims game in a Starcraft or Warhammer environment I'd buy it, but they don't.

Are you familiar with Starcraft's UMS's?

Old Post Dec 17th, 2008 09:52 PM
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

Not that there is any Chaos yet.

Mist- things like Dreadnoughts are 'called in' via a seperate mechanic- not to mention a seperate resource, known as 'Zeal' for Space Marines.

its no advance, simply a diffrent style of play. The base still excists and youll be upgrading it rather than actually building another building.

Which is a shame because their an incredible faction.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2008 09:56 PM
Burning thought is currently offline Click here to Send Burning thought a Private Message Find more posts by Burning thought Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Of course it is an advance! How the heck you can deny that is beyond me. As has already been discussed in this section, DOW II is taking an entirely different look at the RTS genre, and if they've got it right it will be the biggest advance the genre has had in a decade. It's not just the base building- though stripping most of it away in multiplay and all of it in single is still an advance- it is the whole game.

And frankly, more fool you for not wanting it to have a different priority, FB. That different priority (the GAMEPLAY, especially with the combat and the strategic/tactical choices involved there) is actually what made these games any good, and it the centrepiece of what the games are about. NOT what buildings you plonk down, which has always just been a pacing mechanic and entirely unnecessary when looked at properly.

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Dec 18th, 2008 at 09:21 AM

Old Post Dec 18th, 2008 08:53 AM
Bardock42

It sounds like an interesting idea anyways, I think it would make a game more tactical. Which could be a lot of fun.

I didn't play the first one though. Actually, I don't think I have played any RTS game since ...Battle Realms I guess.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2008 09:18 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

The first one is great.

And I really like the idea of them pushing smaller more strategic battles, rather than huge hectic ones.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2008 09:26 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

Of course it is an advance! How the heck you can deny that is beyond me. As has already been discussed in this section, DOW II is taking an entirely different look at the RTS genre, and if they've got it right it will be the biggest advance the genre has had in a decade. It's not just the base building- though stripping most of it away in multiplay and all of it in single is still an advance- it is the whole game.

And frankly, more fool you for not wanting it to have a different priority, FB. That different priority (the GAMEPLAY, especially with the combat and the strategic/tactical choices involved there) is actually what made these games any good, and it the centrepiece of what the games are about. NOT what buildings you plonk down, which has always just been a pacing mechanic and entirely unnecessary when looked at properly.

i thot it was obvious I was referring to no actual base building as an advance, as i said its just a style of play, base building is still very important in many strategy games, the fact you have no interest in it is neither here nor there. Although the game itself is an advance, the minus of large scale base building is not.

Base building is part of gameplay so your point is a little sketchy there. Base building can be important since in many strategy games your base is a fallback point if your soldiers are pushed back.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2008 02:15 PM
Burning thought is currently offline Click here to Send Burning thought a Private Message Find more posts by Burning thought Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

It;s not just me having no interest in it. It is about it being gameplay redundant. This is the concept people have to get their head around; base building is superficial, a pacing mechanic no longer needed. People who are just addicted two atching builgins a. build or b. blow up are... well, basically it is that attitude that holds back gameplay. An RTS game shouldn't feel in any way beholden to such superficial things. Relic are not just removing it for a 'different style' but as part of a fundamental advance of the entire genre.

So my point is not sketchy in the slightest. Meanwhile, those who have played the demonstration version confirm that the single building you get is hard to destroy and defended by turrets, so it is barely worth attacking unless you are late game. As ever, DoW is about map control.

BtVS

Old Post Dec 20th, 2008 12:50 PM
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

It;s not just me having no interest in it. It is about it being gameplay redundant. This is the concept people have to get their head around; base building is superficial, a pacing mechanic no longer needed. People who are just addicted two atching builgins a. build or b. blow up are... well, basically it is that attitude that holds back gameplay. An RTS game shouldn't feel in any way beholden to such superficial things. Relic are not just removing it for a 'different style' but as part of a fundamental advance of the entire genre.

So my point is not sketchy in the slightest. Meanwhile, those who have played the demonstration version confirm that the single building you get is hard to destroy and defended by turrets, so it is barely worth attacking unless you are late game. As ever, DoW is about map control.

ofc it is, you simply dont understand the enjoyment building a base can bring a person, if Age of empires 3 consisted of a single building you had to protect which built all your units it would be boring and not half as interesting, some games in the RTS genre work well with building a base, or an empire, if your one of those people who just rushes with units and is only intersted in units and as little base buildings thats fine...for you...

So really all it is, is a base? just like a base its hard to destroy etc etc, just like a base built completly by players, but some people like having the building aspect of choosing where they put their buildings, building placement can easily be just as strategical/tactical as using soldiers themselves and many would claim just as enjoyable, if you dont understand that then you likely have not played Supreme commander for instance.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2008 08:06 PM