KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Greatest Lightsaber instructor

Greatest Lightsaber instructor
Started by: carthage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Nah, Revan trained a shit ton of the Sith Assassins, and some of the Dark Jedi at the Sith Academy of Korrbain. He is far from the best instructor though.

You mean the ones the Exile is cutting through at her weakest? They're just mooks in comparison, tbh.

Old Post May 23rd, 2015 12:30 AM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Not sure what you mean by either of your two sentences.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post May 23rd, 2015 12:35 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

He's saying that they're shit and so is Revan as a teacher.

Old Post May 23rd, 2015 12:36 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

The Sith Assassins were far from shit. Same goes for your average Dark Jedi. erm

They can probably take on Zannah lmfao.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post May 23rd, 2015 12:37 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Tbh now that I think on it, the Sith Assassins were't great. I mean they were essentially one trick guys, who only were able to get a leg up on Force Users because of how powerful they were.

But take that away? They didn't seem really impressive, they relied on their ability to become strong via Force Users too much, which to me that would delude their actual combat ability because while they would become strong to match their target, this would be the only reason they would have a chance at killing them.

Old Post May 23rd, 2015 12:43 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Tbh now that I think on it, the Sith Assassins were't great. I mean they were essentially one trick guys, who only were able to get a leg up on Force Users because of how powerful they were.

But take that away? They didn't seem really impressive, they relied on their ability to become strong via Force Users too much, which to me that would delude their actual combat ability because while they would become strong to match their target, this would be the only reason they would have a chance at killing them.

blink

That is very, very wrong.

Old Post May 23rd, 2015 01:12 AM
Click here to Send Selenial a Private Message Find more posts by Selenial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Selenial
blink

That is very, very wrong.

Oh? How so? Explain, because that's what it seems to me. They hunted Force Users, they got stronger from Force Users, killed them.

No Force Users, they didn't seem all that great.

Old Post May 23rd, 2015 01:15 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Oh? How so? Explain, because that's what it seems to me. They hunted Force Users, they got stronger from Force Users, killed them.

No Force Users, they didn't seem all that great.

Because they were all masterful fighters with a blade, not relying on their drain. But if you insist...

First, the fighters of the Era:
"The many wars of the era compel large numbers of Jedi to become experts in lightsaber and force related combat. Some become masters on the battlefield; others become highly skilled duelists capable of taking on Dark Jedi and Sith in single combat. "

So, no, not everyone from the era are mooks. And those Jedi became Sith:
"The Sith students of Darth Revan and Darth Malak are many of the same Jedi Crusaders that once fought for the republic. [...] Already proficient in the Jedi arts, these marauders acquire new nefarious talents [...]During the Dark Wars, Surviving Sith students submit to the triumvirate."

Now the best of those sith became Sith assassins.
"Only by fighting your way through the Sith's strongest guardians can you earn the right to confront your nemesis."

"These surreptitious butchers specialize in practical modes of Jedi execution. The most elite of these assassins are the Bladeborn - Sith blademasters"
"A Sith offshoot dedicated to sword mastery, this [Sith Tremor Sword] was given to masterblades for surviving no less than ten encounters with Lightsaber wielding opponents"

Ok so I apologize for having to spam quotes, but yeh, the idea that they're one trick ponies is just wrong. They dedicated themselves to mastering the Jedi fighting styles, and mastering their counters. They didn't just drain Jedi and hope to god that they made it out alive.

Old Post May 23rd, 2015 01:26 AM
Click here to Send Selenial a Private Message Find more posts by Selenial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Sel I'm talking about the guys you see in the black outfits, not the most elite of assassins which is what those quotes seem to point to.

Also I never said they were mooks. Just that I think their actual combat ability wouldn't be all fantastic.

Last edited by Zenwolf on May 23rd, 2015 at 01:35 AM

Old Post May 23rd, 2015 01:32 AM
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Sel I'm talking about the guys you see in the black outfits, not the most elite of assassins which is what those quotes seem to point to.

Yeh, those were them.

All those quotes are talking about the Assassins on Malachor.

Old Post May 23rd, 2015 01:33 AM
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

They obviously suck pretty bad if tens if not hundreds couldn't beat a single Jedi in spite of a nexus amp.

They probably could beat Darth Zannah though

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post May 23rd, 2015 01:36 AM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Selenial
Yeh, those were them.

All those quotes are talking about the Assassins on Malachor.

Except I'm not talking about those Assassins, because that quote is saying that they are the elite assassins. I'm talking about the Sith Assassins, that were seen everywhere.

Old Post May 23rd, 2015 01:36 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

The dudes you beat on Paragus.

Old Post May 23rd, 2015 01:53 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EmperorSidious2
Master of Magic

Yoda or Luke. Yoda produced more but he didn't train each of them as apprentices. Luke I think did however. Didn't he train Kyle, caedus, Jaina, his other kids.

Old Post May 23rd, 2015 04:00 PM
Click here to Send EmperorSidious2 a Private Message Find more posts by EmperorSidious2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Also wanna point this out.

"They've learned...they've come up through the same way. Taught by Qui-Gon, Tyranus, Yoda. Its the same line."

Seems like Obi-Wan and Anakin's skills according to Gillard are attributed to Yoda and his training techniques.

The North Remembers

Old Post May 26th, 2015 10:24 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Yoda's obviously produced the most top-tier duelist as well, being old as hell, I guess.

Old Post May 27th, 2015 12:08 AM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Well Star, Cin also trained Obi-Wan and Anakin too. Who in turn was trained by Yoda as far as saber combat went so....yeah, by proxy, Yoda also did teach them too.

Old Post May 27th, 2015 03:25 AM
Q99

Originally posted by Lord Stark

Nah he directly taught Dooku. As well as Kenobi.

"Fought well you have, my old Padawan."

"The Jedi Master who instructed me" -Kenobi

Its not a coincidence that the 'Golden age of the Jedi's' grandmaster is also arguably the most skilled swordsman in the Old Republic's 20,000 year history.

But he taught them as Younglings, not as Padawan.

His lightsaber skills did seep into the order to be sure, I'm just unsure of his hit-to-miss ratio, and how many actual apprenticings he did.

Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Yoda's obviously produced the most top-tier duelist as well, being old as hell, I guess.

Sure, though I don't necessarily know if his odds with any one person is better than any other skilled teacher.

He's got quantity of students, of which some are good, but plenty are less so.

Originally posted by EmperorSidious2
Yoda or Luke. Yoda produced more but he didn't train each of them as apprentices. Luke I think did however. Didn't he train Kyle, caedus, Jaina, his other kids.

Jaina was taught by Mara and Kyp.

Luke taught Jacen, Anakin, and Ben. Also Corran, Kyp, Kam Solusar, Brakiss, Desann, and others. A bunch fell to the dark side, but skill wise that's quite a roster ^^

He helped some with Kyle, but Kyle, outside his initial training with the Jedi in DF2, did most of his training was Mara in a co-master setup (they were the two most-trained people outside of Luke, so rather than take up Luke's time from other students, they helped complete each other's training).

Last edited by Q99 on May 27th, 2015 at 08:02 AM

Old Post May 27th, 2015 07:58 AM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Ah, but this is about his ability as an instructor, not how his students turn out per se. The fact that when given the proper students, he can produce absolute masters, makes him one of, if not the, best lightsaber instructor.

Old Post May 28th, 2015 06:53 AM
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Originally posted by Q99
But he taught them as Younglings, not as Padawan.

His lightsaber skills did seep into the order to be sure, I'm just unsure of his hit-to-miss ratio, and how many actual apprenticings he did.

Sure, though I don't necessarily know if his odds with any one person is better than any other skilled teacher.

He's got quantity of students, of which some are good, but plenty are less so.

Lol at the Yoda downplaying.
"They've learned...they've come up through the same way. Taught by Qui-Gon, Tyranus, Yoda. Its the same line."

Gillard is a higher authority than whatever story of Dooku's other master. Yoda's direct apprentice line is all master swordsmen. Pretty clear Gillard considers Yoda's training to be behind all of these.

The North Remembers

Old Post May 28th, 2015 02:42 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote