KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » The Witcher

The Witcher
Started by: BruceSkywalker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (14): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mindset

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
Leaked casting call (which is not confirmed at this point, could be bogus) suggests they are looking for a BAME actress to play Ciri. BAME, meaning black or asian or some other minority.

Lot of fans are very upset about this. If it's true it's a very strange and seemingly random decision.
Making the show more inclusive means more viewers.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Sep 8th, 2018 10:17 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

I'd prefer keeping the show good than making an exotic actress call just cuz. The defenders of the primarily white people in Witcher made sense. What black guys or Mexicans or Asians did you know traipsing around in Poland in the 1400's?

Old Post Sep 8th, 2018 11:32 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Leaked casting call (which is not confirmed at this point, could be bogus) suggests they are looking for a BAME actress to play Ciri. BAME, meaning black or asian or some other minority.

Lot of fans are very upset about this. If it's true it's a very strange and seemingly random decision.

Meh.

Kinda funny though. The Nilfgaardians are the "Evil Empire" of the series and are referred to as "the black ones".

Old Post Sep 8th, 2018 11:35 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Originally posted by KingD19
I'd prefer keeping the show good than making an exotic actress call just cuz. The defenders of the primarily white people in Witcher made sense. What black guys or Mexicans or Asians did you know traipsing around in Poland in the 1400's?

Short answer? Millions.

"From 1599 the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth suffered a series of Tatar invasions, the goal of which was to loot, pillage and capture slaves into jasyr. The borderland area to the south-east was in a state of semi-permanent warfare until the 18th century."

Wiki.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2018 12:51 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Is the setting of the Witcher Poland?

Old Post Sep 9th, 2018 01:03 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Yes, kinda.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Sep 9th, 2018 01:06 AM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

What does casting a non-white actress have to do with the quality of the show? And it's not "just cuz", they have a reason even if you don't see it.

How many witchers were roaming around 1400's Poland?

These are some odd objections.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2018 04:09 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

All these complaints about Cavill's size are silly, if he doesn't look buff enough for the character the producers can just make the rest of the cast smaller than him. Ah, the magic of Hollywood.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Sep 9th, 2018 11:48 AM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ Cavill not buff enough?

Doubt thats the issue.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2018 10:11 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by samhain
All these complaints about Cavill's size are silly, if he doesn't look buff enough for the character the producers can just make the rest of the cast smaller than him. Ah, the magic of Hollywood.

You've got it a bit backwards. His current Superman physique is arguably a bit too big. But honestly, having thought about it some, in a long line of things that could be an issue, Geralt being buffer than he's previously been portrayed is not a big issue. The thing about him being lean is just due to the fact that he is often on the road, fighting, living off a diet that would likely be fatal to a normal human etc. hence while he is well-muscled, but he is still rather skinny, in terms of body fat.

As to the casting for Ciri? Eh, will reserve judgment until they actually tell us who it is. If they can write the story in a way so that it works, I am not really bothered if she doesn't quite physically resemble source material. With Ciri, it's more important that you can nail her character right IMO. I know some traditionalists will disagree, but whatever.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2018 12:11 PM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

It's more a thing of being piss poor and starving frequently iirc. In Geralt's time monsters are dying out and witchers aren't as needed as decades prior.

I liked that Ciri is described, and in W3 looks, like she could be Geralt's blood daughter. It helps drive home the point that something bigger than even destiny wants them to be family. -although in the books she is blonde as opposed to having white hair-

Last edited by Adam Grimes on Sep 10th, 2018 at 01:34 PM

Old Post Sep 10th, 2018 01:30 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
You've got it a bit backwards. His current Superman physique is arguably a bit too big. But honestly, having thought about it some, in a long line of things that could be an issue, Geralt being buffer than he's previously been portrayed is not a big issue. The thing about him being lean is just due to the fact that he is often on the road, fighting, living off a diet that would likely be fatal to a normal human etc. hence while he is well-muscled, but he is still rather skinny, in terms of body fat.

Sorry, not too familiar with the world this is set in, I just assumed the complaint was about him not being big enough as that's usually the case with complaints about adaptations. But you could also flip what I suggested around and cast people bigger than Cavill.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Sep 10th, 2018 01:48 PM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by Adam Grimes
It's more a thing of being piss poor and starving frequently iirc.

Well, that's kind of what I meant with diet that would be fatal to a normal person lol. I was trying to be euphemistic. But yeah, he can survive living on extremely little (and then, what he ends up eating is also sometimes rather suspect), due to his Witcher constitution, but he still ends up looking very lean. Makes me wonder how Letho maintains his giant physique.

As to Ciri, obviously, having someone who does indeed look like the source material would probably add a bit extra to it. But what I mean is it's not some huge deal breaker for me as it seems to be for some people on the internet. I've seen a few people have complete meltdowns about this on some sites.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2018 02:06 PM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I heard a rumor the show will focus on Ciri and not Geralt. If so, I'll pass.

Also not sure why a race change is needed. It's not inclusive to swap a race, it's lazy.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2018 02:40 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Originally posted by Surtur

Also not sure why a race change is needed. It's not inclusive to swap a race, it's lazy.
It may be lazy, but it's still inclusive.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2018 11:39 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Originally posted by Surtur

Where did you hear that first rumor? Casting someone as big as Henrey Cavill suggests that he would be the main character.

Ciri should be a big part of it, though. Bigger than Yen or Triss or whoever else may be in it. She's very important in the books (which is what the show will be based on), and even in Witcher 3, it can be argued that she's the main character of that game, in that the events that happen are centered around her rather than Geralt. I'd be fine if Ciri is a co-main character or something. She should be pretty close in significance to Geralt.

As far as the race change thing goes, I'm taking a wait and see approach with that, as it's still simply an unconfirmed rumor. Not gonna bother giving a shit until we know who is actually playing her.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2018 12:15 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Well its confirmed Cavill isnt Superman anymore so he can get into whatever shape this series needs him to be in.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2018 02:34 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Where did you hear that first rumor? Casting someone as big as Henrey Cavill suggests that he would be the main character.

Ciri should be a big part of it, though. Bigger than Yen or Triss or whoever else may be in it. She's very important in the books (which is what the show will be based on), and even in Witcher 3, it can be argued that she's the main character of that game, in that the events that happen are centered around her rather than Geralt. I'd be fine if Ciri is a co-main character or something. She should be pretty close in significance to Geralt.

As far as the race change thing goes, I'm taking a wait and see approach with that, as it's still simply an unconfirmed rumor. Not gonna bother giving a shit until we know who is actually playing her.

I honestly forget where, it was in some article talking about the backlash and it talked about the race thing and it also talked about how they thought there might also be backlash cuz the wording of the casting call suggested Ciri was the central character.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2018 03:02 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Couldn't they black up someone else who isn't described in detail in the books or games? Create a new character or something. The only people who know of her character know of her being white. It's not going to turn away new watchers if she's white as well.

"Superman is in it... but gee, his 'daughter' is white, so we'll have to pass."

Just seems like an annoying change for fans of the series and anyone who even has passing knowledge of it.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2018 04:51 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Originally posted by Mindset
Making the show more inclusive means more viewers.
Does it?

Old Post Sep 12th, 2018 06:42 PM