KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Halo Infinite

Halo Infinite
Started by: Nemesis X

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « First ... « 4 5 [6]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Yeah, I loved the story, maybe my favorite story yet in Halo.

My only real complaint about the campaign is that from a level design perspective it was obviously pretty rushed. Almost all the interior rooms of the campaign look the same. There's very little visual variety, just a bunch of purple hallways and rooms.

Par the course for Halo really, but it didn't bother me very much this time because the combat was so much fun I didn't notice it too much. But environmental fatigue did set it. Also didn't like how the "point of no return" happened pretty early in the story and there wasn't really a warning. I also wish the open world areas had more variety too, would have loved a snow area or a swamp area and what have you.

All small complaints though. And I expect upcoming expansions will help with that a great deal. Enjoyed the game a lot.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2021 11:49 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I agree....though some of the later levels have a fair amount of detail in the textures and etc...

I because I got less annoyed about the same environments than I would in the past...probably because I wasn't playing in large blocks of time.

Sound design is incredible though.....headshots, gravity hammers, melee all sound fantastic.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2021 02:25 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

I didn't get very annoyed either, I think it's because while the environments are samey, the actual combat is excellent and consistently really fun, so the environments were an easy thing to overlook.

Yeah, all the sound effects were spot on. Also really liked the music. Some of the new songs were great.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2021 04:47 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Beat the campaign, it was fine. I liked the gameplay. But the story was absolute ass. Almost as bad as 5. Cortana was beat offscreen? lmao wut? She's apparently terrorized the entire galaxy, destroyed the UNSC, and some Covenant splinter faction beats her... Huh? And once again, all of this shit happens offscreen! The conflict the previous game set up was dealt with entirely offscreen. Then they just replace her with some new shitty knock off?! **** that. Absolute garbage story telling. Embarrassingly bad. ​

The actual plot of the game wasn't much better. Aside from the Cortana stuff it felt like filler. Felt like nothing of import happened.

Last edited by ares834 on Dec 28th, 2021 at 07:09 AM

Old Post Dec 28th, 2021 07:04 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Infinite's story is basically the Rise of Skywalker of Halo's in that it's in the rough position of having to apologize for pissing everyone off with 5. That means basically throwing out and/or soft-retconning everything that happened in 5. So no evil!Cortana, no dead USNC. The Weapon is just a soft-retcon of Cortana dying, etc.

The plot is deliberately filler so that the story can start with a blank slate. 343 is basically considering 4-6 a wash and is going to start over from scratch with lesson's (hopefully) learned for the next trilogy. You hate to see it. But that's capitalism.

I also really like the gameplay in Infinite though too.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Dec 28th, 2021 06:58 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Reading your guys' issues with the story, all fair points, but none of those issues really bothered me personally. Maybe it's because I never really took Halo's story very seriously and never really thought it was anything above mediocre, but I was happy they largely sidestepped most of the nonsense in Halo 5, as it would have been very difficult, if not impossible, to follow that up in a way that was fulfilling or interesting. Dealing with Cortana's dollar store reapers would have just been ridiculous, and frankly having her become the big villain is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in fiction, so to have all that bullshit resolve off screen was totally fine by me as it's less I have to think or hear about it.

Plus the fact is most people did not like fighting the new forerunner enemies in Halo 4/5. I think that was one of the things I was most happy about in Halo Infinite, that we only fought against the covenant races. One of the things the series has always struggled with is having the non covenant races be fun to fight. The flood were shitty and boring in the original trilogy, and the forerunners were in the 343 games. So for infinite to finally embrace only fighting the enemeis that are actually fun to fight against was a great move and I think largely explains why we were basically fighting against the covenant 2.0. From a story perspective it may not be very interesting, but from a gameplay perspective it was the right move, I think.

But back to the story, I thought it handled the cortana stuff as well as possible considering how bad Halo 5's story was in that regard. Though I'm not totally keen on them essentially replacing her with a new, sweeter cortana, I did enjoy the progression of the relationship between the weapon and chief, and I really liked how the game continued the idea from Halo 4 of showing chief as being more human, and a bit broken on an emotional level, with a lot of emotional scars that he tries to hide. Makes him a much more compelling character.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2021 11:11 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

That might be it...I'm not super keen on the entire Halo series story either....something something about some lost race of beings...something something some crazy death rings.....

I have probably read all the lore/story a fair number of times and I still forget what happens.

I also feel the same way regarding most of the previous games as well.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2021 11:35 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Yeah, Halo has always been very run of the mill military sci fi stuff. Nothing terribly unique or special about it. The only reaosn it got attention was because it was one of the few FPS games to put any kind of emphasis on story telling.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2021 01:02 AM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Glad I dont care much for NU Halo lore or I would be pissed at the lack of spoiler tags here. Still waiting till co-op and other basic shit features are added before I consider trying this game.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2021 01:28 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
Yeah, Halo has always been very run of the mill military sci fi stuff. Nothing terribly unique or special about it. The only reaosn it got attention was because it was one of the few FPS games to put any kind of emphasis on story telling.

Is that true? Maybe on console but PC shooters were doing story stuff for awhile (Dues Ex, No One Lives Forever and etc).

I always took Halo as being important because of the new mechanics (only getting 2-3 weapons, instant throw grenades and the most important, regen health)

Coming from a person who played games like Half-Life, Deus Ex, AvP2, I never understood the draw the original Halo games had....

Old Post Dec 31st, 2021 05:33 AM
BackFire

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
Is that true? Maybe on console but PC shooters were doing story stuff for awhile (Dues Ex, No One Lives Forever and etc).

I always took Halo as being important because of the new mechanics (only getting 2-3 weapons, instant throw grenades and the most important, regen health)

Coming from a person who played games like Half-Life, Deus Ex, AvP2, I never understood the draw the original Halo games had....

Well yeah. With Halo there's pretty much always going to be a qualifier, unsaid or said, that all the things it innovated are in regards to console shooters mostly, outside of the things like limited weapon carry and health regen and so on.

Like compared to something like Half Life, the story is amateur hour. But the fact that they put any effort at all into story and world building was fairly novel at that point in time I think.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2022 02:37 AM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2022 07:04 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Infinite appearing to be on the decline lately.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...sh=21b6d43d3bea

Being a F2P, perhaps everything should've been pooled into one big mode like Warzone that was introduced in Halo 5 but on a grander scale here. Would've made a decent distraction and let 343 collect themselves before attempting more modes that are either delayed or out but hella buggy.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2022 05:13 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Meh, I think it's just the sign of the times. This type of multiplayer experience is not nearly as popular as it used to be. I think it's more of the credit that Halo Infinite MP is this popular considering the other games being mentioned.

Battle Royale games.
Roblox is its own separate beast.
GTAV is GTAV.

It would be more worrisome if a Halo-like game was ahead....

Old Post Feb 9th, 2022 07:05 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

That or many are just put off with the lack of features and communication. Big Team Battle still disconnecting people, challenges have ruined ranked, cheaters still infesting the servers with no option to turn crossplay off despite many constantly demanding one. It's bad. But that's ok! There's a literal halo you can put on your spartan in the store! Woo!

Old Post Feb 10th, 2022 06:55 PM
Tzeentch
#gottem

GAAS is inherently shit and the business model pissed a lot of people off. Furthermore, the game had anemic content and features at launch and a ton of bugs. It's just your average dogshit AAA title launch.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Feb 15th, 2022 04:52 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

I wonder if they'll stick with the idea that the game will be their 10 year plan for Halo, or if they'll abandon it since apparently players aren't sticking with it like they thought.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2022 01:27 AM