KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » James Gunn, "Most Superhero films are boring"

James Gunn, "Most Superhero films are boring"
Started by: Old Man Whirly!

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

James Gunn, "Most Superhero films are boring"

https://nypost.com/2023/04/04/james...-really-boring/

“We love Superman. We love Batman. We love Iron Man. Because they’re these incredible characters that we have in our hearts. And if it becomes just a bunch of nonsense onscreen, it gets really boring,” Gunn pointed out.

He also expressed that he’s exhausted from viewing “spectacle films” and movies that don’t have an “emotionally grounded story.”

He explained that if one doesn’t have “a story at the base” of an action flick, then just “watching things bash each other, no matter how clever those bashing moments are, no matter how clever the designs and the VFX are, it just gets fatiguing, and I think that’s very, very real.”

Old Post Jun 30th, 2023 06:22 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I mean, Black Adam comes to mind..

Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, Venom, Justice League, Birds of Prey, Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel, Aquaman, Age of Ultron, Endgame, The Amazing Spiderman 2, Suicide Squad, etc.

Those are just some of the worst ones that I've seen.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2023 07:24 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I mean, Black Adam comes to mind..

Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, Venom, Justice League, Birds of Prey, Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel, Aquaman, Age of Ultron, Endgame, The Amazing Spiderman 2, Suicide Squad, etc.

Those are just some of the worst ones that I've seen.
The Suicide Squad...

Old Post Jun 30th, 2023 07:26 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Suicide Squad (2016). Not THE Suicide Squad (2021).

GET YOUR SHIT STRAIGHT!!

Old Post Jun 30th, 2023 11:32 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaden_3.0

GET YOUR SHIT STRAIGHT!!

Wonder Woman 84. Not Wonder Woman.

GET YOUR SHIT STRAIGHT!!

Old Post Jun 30th, 2023 11:47 PM
Jaden_3.0 is currently offline Click here to Send Jaden_3.0 a Private Message Find more posts by Jaden_3.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Yeah, WW was okay. I didn't see 1984 because it was apparently such utter garbage. But WW did end with some brainless bashing each other, which is why I mentioned it.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2023 11:48 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: James Gunn, "Most Superhero films are boring"

Honestly I miss poignant movies like Network or Raging Bull. Heck, I'd settle for Scrooged.

Because lets be honest, the MCU is the best we have now and they can't hold a candle to Ridley Scott or Tim Burton in their prime, much less Martin Scorsese.

God, Martin Scorsese's couldn't even operate in todays environment, you don't get a genius films from commitee, branding, focus groups.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2023 03:54 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

GET YOUR SHIT STRAIGHT!!
shifty smile
Originally posted by cdtm
Honestly I miss poignant movies like Network or Raging Bull. Heck, I'd settle for Scrooged.

Because lets be honest, the MCU is the best we have now and they can't hold a candle to Ridley Scott or Tim Burton in their prime, much less Martin Scorsese.

God, Martin Scorsese's couldn't even operate in todays environment, you don't get a genius films from commitee, branding, focus groups.
we've had a few good ones in the last 10 years, like the greenbook, the dig, even the founder, but so much shit. When something as bad and forgettable as everywhere, everything all at once is winning Oscars, these are the end days

Last edited by Old Man Whirly! on Jul 1st, 2023 at 04:00 PM

Old Post Jul 1st, 2023 03:58 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

James Gunn isn't wrong on this topic.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2023 03:38 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Thinkerer

Re: Re: James Gunn, "Most Superhero films are boring"

Originally posted by cdtm

How do you figure much is the best we have now? Plenty of Movies that are a lot better.

James Gunn isnt wrong. Its entertaining mostly, but nothing truly memorable. Especially not in the last 4 years or so. Its strange cause there are so many comic stories and characters that have so much potential. The fact that it has to be somewhat kid friendly doesnt help either of course...

Last edited by Thinkerer on Jul 4th, 2023 at 02:31 PM

Old Post Jul 4th, 2023 02:28 PM
Thinkerer is currently offline Click here to Send Thinkerer a Private Message Find more posts by Thinkerer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Kazenji
James Gunn isn't wrong on this topic.
he certainly isn't.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2023 02:37 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Re: Re: Re: James Gunn, "Most Superhero films are boring"

Originally posted by Thinkerer

Its strange cause there are so many comic stories and characters that have so much potential. The fact that it has to be somewhat kid friendly doesnt help either of course...

Also depends on the character too

not every single character that gets adapted needs to have a R rated movie.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2023 01:36 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Kazenji
Also depends on the character too

not every single character that gets adapted needs to have a R rated movie.
thumb up

Old Post Jul 14th, 2023 10:13 AM
Impediment
Endless

Martin Scorsese was spot on about the vast majority of superhero movies the same and formulaic. Something needs to change.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Jul 14th, 2023 07:04 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

What he should have said was, most DC superhero movies are boring. stick out tongue

That's why they hired him to be their latest savior, isn't it? After Christopher Nolan and Zack Snyder got it started, then Zack Snyder went his own way and things started going sideways, then it was supposed to be Geoff Johns & Jon Berg, then Walter Hamada, then J.J. Abrams (who's probably going to finish his time at Warners without a single DC project produced), and even Dwayne Johnson was trying to be a DC movie architect.

Meanwhile, Marvel Studios has had one guy for 15 years, Kevin Feige. And it's been enough.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jul 14th, 2023 11:35 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by roughrider
What he should have said was, most DC superhero movies are boring. stick out tongue

That's why they hired him to be their latest savior, isn't it? After Christopher Nolan and Zack Snyder got it started, then Zack Snyder went his own way and things started going sideways, then it was supposed to be Geoff Johns & Jon Berg, then Walter Hamada, then J.J. Abrams (who's probably going to finish his time at Warners without a single DC project produced), and even Dwayne Johnson was trying to be a DC movie architect.

Meanwhile, Marvel Studios has had one guy for 15 years, Kevin Feige. And it's been enough.

Most of the recent MCU films are horrible.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2023 10:04 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Senor Cage
Most of the recent MCU films are horrible.

Same goes for the DC flicks too in that regard.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2023 04:02 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

While I don't disagree with Gunn, I think it's a bit rich when he's partially responsible for things being the way they are.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jul 16th, 2023 03:18 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Originally posted by -Pr-
While I don't disagree with Gunn, I think it's a bit rich when he's partially responsible for things being the way they are.

Which of his films were a miss or emotionally deprived?

Old Post Jul 16th, 2023 06:21 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Which of his films were a miss or emotionally deprived?

Guardians 2 I would say is a good example.

I was speaking more about how Marvel has been continually trying to ape what he and Whedon did with the first Avengers and GOTG, though.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jul 16th, 2023 09:59 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote