KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » James Gunn, "Most Superhero films are boring"

James Gunn, "Most Superhero films are boring"
Started by: Old Man Whirly!

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Senor Cage

GOTG 3 is probably the best MCU film since IW

Old Post Jul 17th, 2023 12:15 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Senor Cage
GOTG 3 is probably the best MCU film since IW

Nah. No Way Home was better. The fact that GotG3 is 2nd though from all of phase 4 and 5 is borderline depressing because it wouldn't even make my top 10 MCU films

Infinity War
Ragnarock
Winter Soldier
GotG 1
Civil War
Endgame
Avengers 1
Thor 1
Ant Man
No Way Home

(The IM movies are trash. It is known. This is the way. Other applicable pop culture references)

Old Post Jul 17th, 2023 12:52 AM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by jaden_2.0

(The IM movies are trash. It is known. This is the way. Other applicable pop culture references)

All of them?...nope

only the sequels, 2nd movie is average and 3rd is a dumpster fire.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2023 01:22 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Nah. No Way Home was better. The fact that GotG3 is 2nd though from all of phase 4 and 5 is borderline depressing because it wouldn't even make my top 10 MCU films

Infinity War
Ragnarock
Winter Soldier
GotG 1
Civil War
Endgame
Avengers 1
Thor 1
Ant Man
No Way Home

Endgame is shit. It's honestly one of the worst MCU films.

I'm not a fan of MCU Spiderman movies either.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2023 02:11 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

I wasn't a fan of the Spiderman Trilogy or the Amazing Spiderman films so wasn't fussed about the gimmicky multiverse aspect but No Way Home was still better than anything else in phase 4 or 5 (not that that's saying much though)

I think Endgame gets a lot of bad reaction because everyone had their own ideas of how character's arcs should have ended (I, for one, have really disliked how Hulk has been continuously gimped throughout the entire Infinity saga and hoped it was because he'd finally be unleashed in Endgame. Instead he just got even more gimped and from what I've read, She-Hulk continued that to the nth degree) Other people obviously didn't like Cap or Stark's endings

When those multiple competing expectations aren't fulfilled then you get a lot of disappointed people.

With phase 4 and 5 it seems everyone is disappointed with everything 😂

The volumes of utter trash they are churning out now is unreal. It's not even surprising because you only have to look at the phase 5 directors to see that almost all of them have almost no pedigree and what little they've done previously is almost all mediocre, unknown failures.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2023 02:42 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by -Pr-
Guardians 2 I would say is a good example.

I was speaking more about how Marvel has been continually trying to ape what he and Whedon did with the first Avengers and GOTG, though.

GoTG was only good because of Batista.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2023 02:46 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

I wasn't a fan of the Spiderman Trilogy or the Amazing Spiderman films so wasn't fussed about the gimmicky multiverse aspect but No Way Home was still better than anything else in phase 4 or 5 (not that that's saying much though)

I think Endgame gets a lot of bad reaction because everyone had their own ideas of how character's arcs should have ended (I, for one, have really disliked how Hulk has been continuously gimped throughout the entire Infinity saga and hoped it was because he'd finally be unleashed in Endgame. Instead he just got even more gimped and from what I've read, She-Hulk continued that to the nth degree) Other people obviously didn't like Cap or Stark's endings

When those multiple competing expectations aren't fulfilled then you get a lot of disappointed people.

The volumes of utter trash they are churning out now is unreal. It's not even surprising because you only have to look at the phase 5 directors to see that almost all of them have almost no pedigree and what little they've done previously is almost all mediocre, unknown failures.

You can always tell someone who builds something great is a genius because what they built is proof of that, it's a lot harder vetting people to be successors to that genius.

Or put another way, anyone can run a kingdom after someone else builds it. Anyone can do it poorly.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2023 02:51 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

thumb up Spot on!

Old Post Jul 17th, 2023 02:51 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Thought Thor 1 was boring and No Way Home was solid but GOTG had much more emotion for me.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2023 03:50 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I didn't care about any of that. I'm more of a casual viewer and just thought the writing was lame and predictable. Where Infinity War was fun and exciting and imaginative, Endgame was completely dull, depressing, and uninteresting. I guess it ticked some fan-service boxes, though. And I haven't noticed it getting much hate. It's typically hailed as one of the highlights of comicbook movies. I think that must be for the fan-service comicbook orgy fight at the end? Because I can't think of any other reason.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2023 10:05 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I didn't care about any of that. I'm more of a casual viewer and just thought the writing was lame and predictable. Where Infinity War was fun and exciting and imaginative, Endgame was completely dull, depressing, and uninteresting. I guess it ticked some fan-service boxes, though. And I haven't noticed it getting much hate. It's typically hailed as one of the highlights of comicbook movies. I think that must be for the fan-service comicbook orgy fight at the end? Because I can't think of any other reason.
yeah, endgame was shit. I agree. The fights in these things are nothing like comic fights though. Zod vs Superman was far nearer in comic fights as was Avengers.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2023 02:36 AM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by cdtm
You can always tell someone who builds something great is a genius because what they built is proof of that, it's a lot harder vetting people to be successors to that genius.

Or put another way, anyone can run a kingdom after someone else builds it. Anyone can do it poorly.
have you watched the founder...

Old Post Jul 18th, 2023 02:38 AM